gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preiss SMiLE Tape. What was the tracklist?  (Read 13268 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »

Lovely list Mikie,

Would you include Heroes & Vibrations (Vigotone) and he can-circulated so-called Sea of Tunes Source Tape. And maybe Archeology with that (sorry, dates are all beyond me now) - I think all included previously unheard Smile snippets … oh and one of the Long Lost Surf Songs CDs, which included the first (I think) airing of False Barnyard with the YAMSunshine-related vocals just audible?

Already have Archeology listed, John, but I added Heroes & Vibrations. There's a couple more that I haven't listed, such as the one on Sphinx. Also, one called Heroes & Villains Part 1 & 2. But the material for those was covered on other comps. And there's the Vigotone SMiLE Box Set which was greatly anticipated but never happened because they were busted!! And the endless fan mixes.....

Ah, sorry Mikie, wasn't reading closely enough … posted that just before 4am here as the weather's keeping me awake!

Aye, Heroes & Vibrations was the taster CD for the Vigotone box that didn't make it out… always wondered what was going to be on that (in my fantasies the Cabinessence vocal sessions… would love to hear more and more of those!) and whether the authorities recovered and returned any tapes of significance to BRI? I suspect we'll never know…

“We live in divisive times.”
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Regarding the 6 minute version of H&V.  I always thought that could have been the single, side A and side B.

Exactly.  I totally agree.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »

I bought the Red SMiLE Odeon CD years ago, it's great, has 30 tracks on it, of which one is titled "The Heroes And Villains Suite (A Musical Comedy) (Stereo / Mono Alternative)" and is 10:04 long.

well worth checking the Odeon CD out
the fronts all in red, and the back can be found "on various websites when searching in google images for example"

Smokin Cool Guy
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:10:06 AM by AllIWannaDo » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 08:02:20 PM »

It's a good boot for someone unfamiliar or listening to Smile for the first time, no doubt, but I'm not so sure about posting links to unauthorized recordings. Might even be a rule about it on the board.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »

edited
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:29:50 AM by sandmountainslim » Logged
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:26 AM »

It's a good boot for someone unfamiliar or listening to Smile for the first time, no doubt, but I'm not so sure about posting links to unauthorized recordings. Might even be a rule about it on the board.

oops sorry about that, i just did a quick image search for 'odeon smile' on google and patched in the link, didnt realise it had the download link for the music too. doh! Roll Eyes
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »

Yeah, well, the link is still there. You know how to edit your previous message using "Modify"?  PM's are used for giving people links.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much, the Beach Boys management were keen to talk about the boots when promoting the Smile Sessions.  They were asking people to post to the facebook page their stories and upload pictures of boots!  Seems that if it weren't for the bootlegs the Smile legend may not have grew into what it became, and Darian may never have helped Brian with BWPS.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »

I'm not worried at all. It's not my board, and I'm not an Admin. Most of us have many of the bootlegs already anyway. If you don't, you're not much of a fan.

Most of those websites/blogs haven't been updated in months/years anyway. But they have much more than Smile stuff. And they can be shut down in a heartbeat by the host. No use bringing attention to them now..... 

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:25 AM »

History is a Smile tape with the Miles Davis "Here Comes De Honey Man" instrumental on it.  Grin

I don't have that on a vinyl edition of SMiLE.

It is entirely believable as a track for the set, it fits the mood. So I was told late last night in some bar by a collector.

Does all of this count?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »

History is a Smile tape with the Miles Davis "Here Comes De Honey Man" instrumental on it.  Grin

It is entirely believable as a track for the set, it fits the mood. So I was told late last night in some bar by a collector.

Does all of this count?

I had a copy of a copy of a copy (etc etc etc) of that tape and was completely taken in. And when the truth was revealed to me i went and bought a copy of Porgy & Bess so I had a better quality version to listen to.

Haven't tracked down an AntBee album yet (haven't tried yet to be honest… do they exist?)

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:15 AM »

History is a Smile tape with the Miles Davis "Here Comes De Honey Man" instrumental on it.  Grin

Does all of this count?

I had a copy of a copy of a copy (etc etc etc) of that tape and was completely taken in. And when the truth was revealed to me i went and bought a copy of Porgy & Bess so I had a better quality version to listen to.

Haven't tracked down an AntBee album yet (haven't tried yet to be honest… do they exist?)

What is AntBee?

I don't have it on some faux (of course) 'Brother' album. From the '80s.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:29:54 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:48 AM »

(double post)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:30:19 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:18 AM »

Wait. Perhaps an erratum is in order:

could it be that I have, um, don't have Here Comes De Honey Man on some vague CD drawn from the first (1983) Smile vinyl boot? That would clarify things.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »

Wait. Perhaps an erratum is in order:

could it be that I have, um, don't have Here Comes De Honey Man on some vague CD drawn from the first (1983) Smile vinyl boot? That would clarify things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8gZ7QBGyMI

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx