gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:08:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Appreciation Thread  (Read 8585 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »

kind of weird

Huh

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 02:13:10 PM »

I think its because youre 40-something...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
SurferGirl7
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »

40 something eh? Havan't heard that I'm that old from everyone yet  Grin

I am just very insecure Sad Sad

Jason
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 02:46:22 PM »

EDIT - Misread post.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:55:38 PM by Dr. UNH, Esq. aka Jason » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »

Nope. 32.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 05:15:40 AM »

That is such a good picture of Brian.

Katie- my daughter Annie says hi.  You guys met at Susan's convention last year.

I remember your daughter! Wow, tell her I said hi back? Are you guys doing to the Hodad convention this year!

I wish we were.  Unfortunately, it falls on the same weekend we are driving 1500 miles due west.   Hopefully, Susan has another convention in 07.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 12:14:22 PM »

Aw, it's ok. I'll totally be back at Susan's for '07! Will be a whole month after I graduate from HS  Grin
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »

Brian's a musical genius  Grin

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »

I love Brian's music and he is a legend so I really feel bad posing this question but I am really curios as to his state of being nowadays (Post Landy).     I wonder if the guys in his band and his friends and family can actually have meaningful conversations with him as we do with our friends and family or if he is sort of in a Syd Barrett type netherworld most of the time and just coaxed into singing songs.   I also wonder how much of his recent work is HIS and how much is ghost written by Darien or Foskett.   

Terrible rude questions and I apologize if I offended the board.  These are just things I wonder.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »

Brian is perpetually catatonic and most of his music is still being written by David Sandler... He does occasionally spontaneously say the word "cake" however...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »

He is a little of both, depends on the day.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »

He is a little of both, depends on the day.

I'm glad he has Days of Clarity Smiley   During the days of his first solo album I read the rolling stone issue and all I could find and I  was worried sick that Landy was gonna be the end of him.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:36 AM »

Seriously, songs like God Only Knows, Til I Die, Midnight's Another Day, Where Is She and others have more emotional resonance for me than anything by the Beatles. And I'd love to know how Brian had all that Smile music in his head in '66-'67.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 06:45:55 AM »

If there was only a way to read Brian's mind during smile..... 3D

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »

I love Brian's music and he is a legend so I really feel bad posing this question but I am really curios as to his state of being nowadays (Post Landy).     I wonder if the guys in his band and his friends and family can actually have meaningful conversations with him as we do with our friends and family or if he is sort of in a Syd Barrett type netherworld most of the time and just coaxed into singing songs.   I also wonder how much of his recent work is HIS and how much is ghost written by Darien or Foskett.   

Terrible rude questions and I apologize if I offended the board.  These are just things I wonder.

My idea of a reply: I think that he is different in his trusted inner circle compared to any public situation, including interviews. In the latter, he's on guard somehow, and seems to retreat in the form of very curt and info-free replies, and only if he has complete, instinctive trust in the interviewer, he will give normal answers (of which he is very well capable). But in any scenario where he feels 'exposed', he will remain pretty detached.

I think when he's simply at home and feeling comfy, he is well approachable and a warm person too.

It is conjecture on my part, of course. But he has had his periods of feeling persecuted, stalked, the voices in his head speak volumes about this. Therefore I would think that in public situations, he might think: what do they want from me? What are they after? That kind of thing.

But in feeling totally safe and protected, people like Bri change.

This from your local amateur psychologist.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »

My idea of a reply: I think that he is different in his trusted inner circle compared to any public situation, including interviews. In the latter, he's on guard somehow, and seems to retreat in the form of very curt and info-free replies, and only if he has complete, instinctive trust in the interviewer, he will give normal answers (of which he is very well capable). But in any scenario where he feels 'exposed', he will remain pretty detached.

I think when he's simply at home and feeling comfy, he is well approachable and a warm person too.

It is conjecture on my part, of course. But he has had his periods of feeling persecuted, stalked, the voices in his head speak volumes about this. Therefore I would think that in public situations, he might think: what do they want from me? What are they after? That kind of thing.

Thank u very much Smiley   I had read that he had complete trust of Foskett and the things your described could be just what that meant. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:10 AM »

Thank u very much Smiley   I had read that he had complete trust of Foskett and the things your described could be just what that meant. 

...and thanks to you too! That is what I basically meant. Jeff Foskett has been a loyal collaborator for many, many years. Supportive, trustworthy, and IMHO never claiming stardom for himself. Brian feels such things.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »

Having interviewed Brian on the phone in 2005 (not the best way to do so, I'm sure he's better in person), I can confirm the above. Although when he opened the conversation with "Hello Joel", I thought I died and went to Heaven.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx