gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:37:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #22 WINNER!: ALL THIS IS THAT  (Read 76584 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »

So Tough has its moments but I would hardly consider it integral as a BBs album and wouldnt recommend it til a good 16 albums before it: pet sounds, all summer long, today, sunflower, wild honey, surfin usa, surfer girl, lil deuce coupe, summer days, smiley smile, shut down vol2, 20/20, surfs up, love you, friends... every/anybuddy concur?
I think the thing with Carl and the Passions is that it just feels more like an EP than an album. It has just eight songs, the Chaplin/Fataar ones really don't sound like Beach Boys songs at all and Dennis's songs probably sound more like Dennis Wilson solo tracks than any other song he ever recorded with the Beach Boys. So that's just enough "real" Beach Boys songs to fill an EP (and not even a very good one, although I love All This is That).

I've always loved CATP. I consider it to be their second-most underrated album! But yeah, 8 songs isn't enough, there should have been a few more songs, maybe one more Chaplin/Fataar song, 1 more Denny song, 1 more Carl song, and 1 more Brian song.
But to me it doesn't matter if the Chaplin/Fataar songs don't sound like BB's songs, to me that's irrelevant. What matters is if a song is great or not and both of their songs are great, especially Here She Comes. So it's disappointing that they were both voted off so quickly. In fact, the only song off CATP that isn't good IMHO is He Come Down.

Also, IMO CATP is a better album than Surfin' USA, Shut Down Vol. 2, All Summer Long, Summer Days and Summer Nights (dodges bricks), Smiley Smile (dodging flaming bricks), and especially Little Deuce Coupe!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:16:04 AM by Little Bird, Right in a Tree... » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »

So Tough has its moments but I would hardly consider it integral as a BBs album and wouldnt recommend it til a good 16 albums before it: pet sounds, all summer long, today, sunflower, wild honey, surfin usa, surfer girl, lil deuce coupe, summer days, smiley smile, shut down vol2, 20/20, surfs up, love you, friends... every/anybuddy concur?
I think the thing with Carl and the Passions is that it just feels more like an EP than an album. It has just eight songs, the Chaplin/Fataar ones really don't sound like Beach Boys songs at all and Dennis's songs probably sound more like Dennis Wilson solo tracks than any other song he ever recorded with the Beach Boys. So that's just enough "real" Beach Boys songs to fill an EP (and not even a very good one, although I love All This is That).

I've always loved CATP. I consider it to be their second-most underrated album! But yeah, 8 songs isn't enough, there should have been a few more songs, maybe one more Chaplin/Fataar song, 1 more Denny song, 1 more Carl song, and 1 more Brian song.
But to me it doesn't matter if the Chaplin/Fataar songs don't sound like BB's songs, to me that's irrelevant. What matters is if a song is great or not and both of their songs are great, especially Here She Comes. So it's disappointing that they were both voted off so quickly. In fact, the only song off CATP that isn't good IMHO is He Come Down.

Also, IMO CATP is a better album than Surfin' USA, Shut Down Vol. 2, All Summer Long, Summer Days and Summer Nights (dodges bricks), Smiley Smile (dodging flaming bricks), and especially Little Deuce Coupe!

I agreed with every word of your first paragraph and disagreed with every word of your second  Smiley
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »

Make It Good.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »

Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" is the eighteenth studio album by American rock band The Beach Boys, released on May 15, 1972. Initial pressings of the album included Pet Sounds as a bonus record. The album is frequently considered a transitional album for the band, with the addition of Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar on guitar and drums, respectively, and long-time member Bruce Johnston departing during its initial sessions.
It's been speculated that Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" was either scheduled to be released, or re-released, as a single album. A Warner/Reprise catalogue number, MS 2090, had been assigned to this single disc release, but nothing came of it. The album was released as a standalone album in Europe on Reprise Records.
The title of the album was a reference to an early band Carl Wilson had been in as a teenager. It was also the first album released under a new deal with Warner Bros. that allowed the company to distribute all future Beach Boys product in foreign as well as domestic markets.

Welcome back to the a new round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR. Remember to be respectful of others opinions. Please don't spam the thread with too much opinionating (a little is ok  Grin).... and without further ado...

29 smilers didn't want to Make It Good.  Cry

VOTE OFF YOUR LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

Tally on February 23rd!!!

You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
Marcella
All This Is That
Cuddle Up

Round#1 - Hold On Dear Brother February 13
Round#2 - He Come Down February 17
Round#3 - Here She Comes February 19
Round#4 - Make It Good February 21

My least favorite is... Marcella. As someone stated, it is Brian on autopilot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:05:43 PM by pixletwin » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »

Cuddle Up

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »

Marcella, I guess.  So tough.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »

Cuddle Up
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »

You Need a Mess of a Help to Stand Alone

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »

Mess of Help
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »

Mess of Help
remy13127
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »

Marcella.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »

Mess of Help
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2014, 01:33:09 PM »

Marcella

Please delete my account
bluesno1fann
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »

Not surprised Make It Good is gone. In fact had Marcella been voted off instead, I would have gone after MIG next.

Anyway, my vote goes to Marcella. 3 songs deserve to make it to the finals, and Marcella isn't one of them
zachrwolfe
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:24:00 PM by zatch » Logged
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

Cuddle Up
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »

To user 'little bird..' you mean So Tough was like a EP cuz it has 3 beach boys songs w brians inclusion? Cuz length wise its not an EP cuz the songs are pretty long; if the songs were normal length yeah but 8 songs can be a full-length if theyre long enough.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »

Mess Of Help

Great track, but Carl completely botched the double vocal idea. Production wise it could've been a little more exciting.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »

To user 'little bird..' you mean So Tough was like a EP cuz it has 3 beach boys songs w brians inclusion? Cuz length wise its not an EP cuz the songs are pretty long; if the songs were normal length yeah but 8 songs can be a full-length if theyre long enough.

Jesus, do you type like that on all occasions? LOL
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »

Marcella
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »

Mess of Help
bluesno1fann
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »

I agreed with every word of your first paragraph and disagreed with every word of your second  Smiley

Really? Every Word? Even Little Deuce Coupe?

I suppose it's subjective, I stand by what I said but I can see if not everyone agrees

No, it's because CATP has only 8 songs. Length-wise the only song that is fairly long is Cuddle Up, though Make It Good and Hold On Dear Brother feels like it goes on forever  LOL
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »

Mess of Help

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »

Kind of funny.  I feel Dennis' work was underrated on both the Friends and Sunflower rounds, whereas I think they're getting too much credit here. Undecided
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »

Cuddle Up

(edit)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:05:55 PM by Gabo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx