gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:21:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #20 Winner: THIS WHOLE WORLD  (Read 72077 times)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »

All I Wanna Do!!!!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #551 on: March 04, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

It's a sign of just how great Sunflower really is that so many people are picking a different favourite! What an album!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 04, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »

My favorite track from the album (by a wide margin) is "It's About Time".  I think Eric and I are the only ones around here who really like it.  With it and the others long gone, my vote goes to:

Forever

You, Eric and me. I think It's About Time is bloody great! How anyone cannot like a song with a riff like that or with such a terrific vocal by Carl is a mystery...

Hey don't exclude me! It's About Time is a masterpiece and is easily the best song off Sunflower IMHO. It's a damn disgrace that it went so early, it may be the Beach Boy's all-time best rocker, better than even the likes of All I Want To Do and YNAMOHTSA.

And it's also a damn disgrace that Forever isn't getting as much votes as hoped for!

add me too  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 04, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »

Extremely tough choice, but It's gotta be This Whole World.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 04, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

Forever
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 04, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »

forever

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 04, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »

This Whole World
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:41 PM »

All I Wanna Do

A discipline daddy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 05, 2014, 07:05:21 AM »

Seems like BBS#20 lasted forever, didn't it?  Grin

Tally in 4 hours.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »

The 1970's...for me the last Great decade in music.  Sunflower stands with the best.  The Beach Boys, all of them, became a real band.  Together, sharing the spotlight.  With Brian in full support mode.
America, for all it's rallying for peace, turned a deaf ear to one of the most peaceful records.  Their loss.
I don't really have one favorite song.  If "Our Sweet Love" had made it to the finals, I would have picked it to win.  Carl just kept getting better and better.  I'm never going to say any male vocalist was better than Brian, but Carl was near his equal.  Dennis was at the top of his game in '69/70.  There are only a few, written or sung to match where he was at in those two years.  I like all of his tracks, "Slip On Through" the best.  All of you saying, "I'm the only one" who likes "It's About Time," or "Nobody loves the rockers but me" are just wrong.  We have a lot of members who are not playing this Survivor Game.  Where were you when I tried to get "You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone" to the win?  It's not as simple as that.  "Got To Know The Woman" is great too.  I think the lyrics fit the times, and the band's sense of humor.  The delivery is spot-on.
My favorite 70's Mike vocals are "Cool, Cool Water" and "All I Wanna Do."  Only "All This Is That" ranks as high.  The best song Bruce ever wrote, "Deirdre," and his best vocal, "At my Window" are right here.  Al is mostly in a supporting role, but would get his chance on the next record.
My vote for the best track that made the finals is "This Whole World"

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 05, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »

WE HAVE ARRIVED AT THE END OF BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR #20!!!

Sunflower is the sixteenth studio album by American rock group The Beach Boys, their first on Reprise Records. The album reached a respectable number 29 in the UK though only achieved number 151 on the US albums chart during a four week stay, becoming the lowest charting Beach Boys album until 1978's M.I.U. Album equalled it.
The album's critical reputation has grown since its original appearance; it is notable for the emergence of significant songwriting contributions by all members of the band.

Welcome back to a new round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR. Remember to be respectful of others opinions. Please don't spam the thread with too much opinionating (a little is ok  Grin).... and without further ado...

With 10 votes, All I Wanna Do is go on to the next round.  

16 smilers voted for Forever.  

AND THE WINNER OF SURVIVOR # 20 WITH 21 VOTES IS...

THIS WHOLE WORLD[/b]

Round#1 - Tears in the Morning February 13
Round#2 - Got to Know the Woman February 17
Round#3 - Deirdre February 19
Round#4 - It's About Time February 21
Round#5 - At My Window February 23
Round#6 - Our Sweet Love February 25
Round#7 - Add Some Music to Your Day February 27
Round#8 - Cool, Cool Water March 1
Round#9 - Slip on Through March 3
Round#10 - All I Wanna Do March 5
Round#10 - Forever March 5

Next 3 round will start today!!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:53:41 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 05, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »

Great song but "all I wanna do" is a far better one

Shame on you all  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »

Great song but "all I wanna do" is a far better one

Shame on you all  Grin

I vacillate back and forth. Some days I agree with you that All I Wanna Do is the best song. I especially love the shimmery effects on the vocals.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »

Forever

I sang this song to my wife at our wedding, and then we danced to the original.

(Ah heck, here's the video link if you happen to feel like gettin' sappy.  Skip to about 4:20 to hear my live wedding version. Smiley http://vimeo.com/62524046 )

Thanks for sharing this most personal link. It's nice to see Smiley Smilers in a more human context. Nice pipes, too. Congrats on your recent wedding (still recent you're under 1 year!)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #564 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »

Shame that Forever didn't win, especially after the tragedy of the Odds And Ends Part 3 round.

So now that's 2 out of 3 of the albums that Dennis dominates but didn't win. The others are 20/20 and L.A. Light Album.

Hopefully Denny will win the third one. Hopefully...
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 05, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »

Shame that Forever didn't win, especially after the tragedy of the Odds And Ends Part 3 round.

So now that's 2 out of 3 of the albums that Dennis dominates but didn't win. The others are 20/20 and L.A. Light Album.

....yea.... I thought it was agreed by the majority that the 70s was considered Denny's decade (at least the first half of it).  Forever is the song that really proved that he had arrived  Undecided. *shaking my head* o well

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »

I will be surprised if he doesn't win L.A.'s.   However, when it comes to Dennis' work so far to me Little Bird's early ousting is the most surprising.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »

I forgot to specify how many votes went to This Whole World.

Forever lost by 5 votes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #568 on: March 05, 2014, 02:02:25 PM »

I will be surprised if he doesn't win L.A.'s.   However, when it comes to Dennis' work so far to me Little Bird's early ousting is the most surprising.

Same. But what if people would want to vote for Good Timin' instead of Denny's last masterpieces?

It's a crushing disappointment that first - Denny's Surf's Up - WIBNTLA lost to Breakaway. And now - Denny's God Only Knows - Forever lost to This Whole World!

To Retrokid, I'd say the entire 70's was Denny's decade, not just the first half. The second half had POB and his brilliant BB's vocal work on Love You and MIU, as well as Denny's Swan Songs on L.A. Light Album

Here's how I would rank Sunflower:

12: At My Window.
11: Cool, Cool Water.
10: Our Sweet Love.
9: Tears In The Morning.
8: This Whole World.
7: Got To Know The Woman.
6: Deirdre.
5: All I Wanna Do.
4: Add Some Music To Your Day.
3: Forever.
2: Slip On Through.
1: It's About Time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:05:06 PM by Mr. Jarhead » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 05, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »

I will be surprised if he doesn't win L.A.'s.   However, when it comes to Dennis' work so far to me Little Bird's early ousting is the most surprising.

Same. But what if people would want to vote for Good Timin' instead of Denny's last masterpieces?

It's a crushing disappointment that first - Denny's Surf's Up - WIBNTLA lost to Breakaway. And now - Denny's God Only Knows - Forever lost to This Whole World!

To Retrokid, I'd say the entire 70's was Denny's decade, not just the first half. The second half had POB and his brilliant BB's vocal work on Love You and MIU, as well as Denny's Swan Songs on L.A. Light Album

I agree but when I said the first half I meant that not only was he writing awesome songs but he was at his happiest and it showed.  By the late 70s as you know his life was taking a turn for the worst and his songs were still awesome but dark.  that's why I personally like his songs that he sings with the group more so than the songs on his solo album, even though POB was a great debut for him  Smiley

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

I agree but when I said the first half I meant that not only was he writing awesome songs but he was at his happiest and it showed.  By the late 70s as you know his life was taking a turn for the worst and his songs were still awesome but dark.  that's why I personally like his songs that he sings with the group more so than the songs on his solo album, even though POB was a great debut for him  Smiley

I suppose but really it's when the 80's hit that Denny's downfall really started. As you know, Bambu was never completed because of that.

I love both his BB's songs and Solo songs, they're both essential reasons why Denny is my favourite Beach Boy!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »

I suppose but really it's when the 80's hit that Denny's downfall really started. As you know, Bambu was never completed because of that.

I love both his BB's songs and Solo songs, they're both essential reasons why Denny is my favourite Beach Boy!

I hear you  Smiley.  I like how his style is so much different than the "surf style" that Mike, Al and Bruce wanted to go with.  kind of ironic too because he was the real surfer and inspired the early hits (even though Bruce surfed too, I just can't picture him as a surfer)

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

I hear you  Smiley.  I like how his style is so much different than the "surf style" that Mike, Al and Bruce wanted to go with.  kind of ironic too because he was the real surfer and inspired the early hits (even though Bruce surfed too, I just can't picture him as a surfer)

Agreed 100%. Though I'm pretty sure it's not so much Al. I think he only went with it in the 70's because of money. Same with Bruce, although at least he really was a surfer along with Denny. Really it's only Mike who never wanted to stop making Surf songs (along with TM songs), and it's obvious with embarrassingly outdated songs like Goin' To The Beach.

Give me Denny's style over Mike's anyday!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »

Agreed 100%. Though I'm pretty sure it's not so much Al. I think he only went with it in the 70's because of money. Same with Bruce, although at least he really was a surfer along with Denny. Really it's only Mike who never wanted to stop making Surf songs (along with TM songs), and it's obvious with embarrassingly outdated songs like Goin' To The Beach.

Give me Denny's style over Mike's anyday!

High Five

-Dennis Wilson
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 07, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »

Good thing this round's over... It'd be a shame for anybody to interrupt the Retro-Jar show.  Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx