gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:48:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about that Beatles show!?  (Read 6285 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »

Great grammy Beatles show IMHO!    Ringo is amazing for a guy about to hit 74.  Every one seemed to have a genuine good time.  Way better than I anticipated.     Hope everyone enjoyed the show!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. After watching the Grammy's, it was refreshing to see the artists who did the Beatles catalog do them right. The liberties that were taken (Imagine Dragons, Stevie Wonder, Ed Sheeran) were very well done. And the artists who tried to emulate the original sounds did a great job. It really exceeded my expectations. It was great to see Ringo up there singing Matchbox, Boys, and Yellow Submarine and Paul, as always, was fantastic.  Loved seeing Ringo get With a Little Help all to himself while Paul sang harmony backup. It sorely missed John and George, but the artists who did their songs did them justice.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »

Liked it a lot more than I thought I was gonna! I think the only performances I didn't like were Katy Perry and Alicia Keys. Imagine Dragons was a highlight - I really liked what they did with Revolution. Ringo is a fantastic showman, and so is Paul obviously - Ringo's drums weren't broadcast (again, just like at the Grammys), I don't know why he isn't capable of being the only drummer on a stage and being mixed up. Could have done without the Tom Hanks audience shots, too - I get it, dude's rich and he sits front row for whatever he wants. Big deal.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »

It was good... I wish they hadn't invited so many vanilla performers though.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »

Lots of good moments. Paul and Ringo were both in fine voice and showed everybody else how it's done. Jeff Lynne also sounded really good for an old codger. I was a bit surprised that Sean Lennon didn't take the stage for something, but maybe he just didn't want to. It was so cool that Stevie Wonder was able to exactly replicate the keyboard sound for We Can Work It Out- loved that. Nice to see the Eurythmics reunion. Duds: Imagine Dragons  and Maroon 5 were flaccid and out of place. Ed Sheerhan's "guitar playing" was painful to listen to. So glad that at least 2 of the Beatles are still around after 50 years (and able to perform). God bless'em!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »

I wonder if George would have participated if he were still here? Him doing Something, or Here Comes The Sun would have been a huge highlight. My all time fantasy would be George doing While My Guitar Gently Weeps, with Paul harmonizing with him on the higher parts,  Ringo on drums, and Eric Clapton doing the guitar solos. Maybe throw in Billy Preston on organ.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 11:53:07 PM »

I wonder if George would have participated if he were still here? Him doing Something, or Here Comes The Sun would have been a huge highlight. My all time fantasy would be George doing While My Guitar Gently Weeps, with Paul harmonizing with him on the higher parts,  Ringo on drums, and Eric Clapton doing the guitar solos. Maybe throw in Billy Preston on organ.  Grin

Billy Preston's dead.... just so you know
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:35:28 AM »

If George can be alive in Jay's all time fantasy, why can't Billy Preston?

Anyways, I loved the special.  I had low expectations and it turned out fantastic.  The performances were top-notch, even those by artists I dislike (looking at you Ed Sheeran and Maroon 5).  Loved how happy Paul and Ringo looked to be there and the interviews they did with David Letterman at the Ed Sullivan theater.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:48:07 AM »

If George can be alive in Jay's all time fantasy, why can't Billy Preston?

Anyways, I loved the special.  I had low expectations and it turned out fantastic.  The performances were top-notch, even those by artists I dislike (looking at you Ed Sheeran and Maroon 5).  Loved how happy Paul and Ringo looked to be there and the interviews they did with David Letterman at the Ed Sullivan theater.

Which is why I said just so you know  Smiley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:25:23 AM »

Great grammy Beatles show IMHO!    Ringo is amazing for a guy about to hit 74.  Every one seemed to have a genuine good time.  Way better than I anticipated.     Hope everyone enjoyed the show!
Amazing show!

Was Julian Lennon there?

It was outstanding! 

Ringo was almost gleeful, and of course Sir Paul...( I noticed a Teleprompter on the side of the "rainbow" painted piano.)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:31:58 AM »

Julian is currently in Africa doing his own thang.  3D
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »

I'm just repeating what everyone seems to be saying: I went into this not expecting a lot, thinking it would drag over 2 1/2 hours, but...

I was more than pleasantly surprised, I thought it was terrific! I really enjoyed it. And it really spotlighted the *songs* and almost more importantly the *songwriting*, the quality and timelessness of which gets lost sometimes 50 years after the fact, and in light of all these folks saying they're tired of "The Beatles" hype and everything.

The music is what makes it what it is, and how great to hear all of those musicians on stage basically sharing sentiments and feelings that I shared, and that so many musicians and people who dove in headfirst into trying to do something in the lives connected to music as a direct result of the music the Beatles created.

Great stuff all around, it was very enjoyable and at times emotional too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »

Could have done without the Tom Hanks audience shots, too - I get it, dude's rich and he sits front row for whatever he wants. Big deal.

I don't have the full details, but Tom Hanks has a production company called "Play-Tone" (or some variant of that spelling) which is and was involved in some of these recent productions. So he's not just the rich-guy observer VIP, he and his company (i.e. financing) were involved in some way in producing these events...and if I'm not getting that exactly right, someone feel free to correct me.

"Play Tone" by the way was the fictional record label in his film "That Thing You Do", which was also produced and basically masterminded by Tom Hanks as a tribute to his love of 60's pop music and culture. So he's not just hanging around.  Grin

I came *this close* (holds thumb and forefinger together...) to getting a song I had played guitar for and created a Motown-style intro for in the studio placed in "That Thing You Do", where they needed a Motown-style song for one of the scenes featuring a female lead. Apparently the track got to Hanks himself during the process, but they went with another tune instead.  Smiley It later turned up elsewhere...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »

Could have done without the Tom Hanks audience shots, too - I get it, dude's rich and he sits front row for whatever he wants. Big deal.

I don't have the full details, but Tom Hanks has a production company called "Play-Tone" (or some variant of that spelling) which is and was involved in some of these recent productions. So he's not just the rich-guy observer VIP, he and his company (i.e. financing) were involved in some way in producing these events...and if I'm not getting that exactly right, someone feel free to correct me.

"Play Tone" by the way was the fictional record label in his film "That Thing You Do", which was also produced and basically masterminded by Tom Hanks as a tribute to his love of 60's pop music and culture. So he's not just hanging around.  Grin

I came *this close* (holds thumb and forefinger together...) to getting a song I had played guitar for and created a Motown-style intro for in the studio placed in "That Thing You Do", where they needed a Motown-style song for one of the scenes featuring a female lead. Apparently the track got to Hanks himself during the process, but they went with another tune instead.  Smiley It later turned up elsewhere...

One of my favorite movies! In the extended version there's a scene where The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson are mentioned.

Where did that song finally turn up?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »

One of my favorite movies! In the extended version there's a scene where The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson are mentioned.

Where did that song finally turn up?

Me too! It's Hanks' love-letter basically to the fantasy of playing in a band in the wake of Beatlemania, and getting that taste of fame that so many kids in 1964 dreamed of when they were playing in their basements and garages. It's overly stylized, and fantasy, but the period details were usually spot-on and there are a lot of in-jokes and references too. The music was great.

That song turned up in a mob film playing as the needle hits a 45rpm in a barroom jukebox, a TV movie with (the beautiful) Kellie Martin dancing to it, and from what I'm told some soap opera episodes which I still haven't been able to track down and actually see how they placed it.  Smiley

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »

I enjoyed the show very much. Some random comments:

- Paul and Ringo did appear healthy for 70+ individuals, both physically and they talked NORMALLY.

- After being a little shaky vocally the last year or so, Paul sounded really good on the show.

- Yoko was really into it, dancing around; I was afraid she might her herself; not bad for an 81 year old.

- I got a little misty-eyed when Ringo got the audience going/responding to "Yellow Submarine"; same when he started singing "With A Little Help From My Friends".

- I'm sure Paul has his detractors, but he appears to be a respectful and considerate man.

- I couldn't fully enjoy the show because I kept (eerily) thinking about John and George, almost like they were somehow watching the proceedings. And, if that isn't weird enough, for some reason I also thought what Pete Best must be thinking.

- It would've been great if they could've performed a song with Paul on bass, Ringo on drums, Dhani Harrison on guitar, and Sean Lennon on guitar.

- I wanted to like Katy Perry's version of "Yesterday" because she was clearly giving her all, but it just fell a little short.

- Jeff Lynne still looks and sounds great; "Hey Bulldog" was awesome.

- It's nice that the wives/children/extended families can finally reach some degree of peace and harmony with each other; at least that they can sit together in close proximity, I mean, they didn't find a reason to NOT attend.

- I love these kind of shows - the recognition, reminiscing, sentimentality, and just finding joy in sharing the music, the feeling of community, the different generations all sharing the music for different reasons.

- I gotta admit that I was waiting for a clip or soundbite from Brian or Mike, probably explaining how The Beach Boys were eclipsed or blown away by The Beatles, and how it got their attention to step it up...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

- I gotta admit that I was waiting for a clip or soundbite from Brian or Mike, probably explaining how The Beach Boys were eclipsed or blown away by The Beatles, and how it got their attention to step it up...

I got choked up too, several times! Hey Bulldog kicked ass!

Just on this one comment, I agree - I thought Brian at least would have been in one of the clips.

But the thought you mentioned, about stepping it up: That *is* actually included at the end of the current CNN documentary about the 60's British Invasion, it features that exact point but also in reverse, saying how Brian's work in the studio made the Beatles step up *their* game and how Brian's work in the studio and sonic experiments led directly to Revolver and then, of course, Pepper. And also mentioning Rubber Soul as an influence as a full album statement rather than a collection of songs, how that influenced Brian for Pet Sounds. But Brian in the studio was given a good chunk of time, some studio footage was shown, and the CNN show basically put a lot of the influence for spending time experimenting with new sounds in the studio on what Brian was doing in 1965-66, and how it opened up the door for something like Revolver, not as concerned with performing the songs live as much as crafting new textures and sounds using the studio.

Catch the CNN doc, it's pretty well done IMO.

And for some reason i thought Brian was to have been involved in the CBS Grammy special, I guess I read that wrong because he obviously wasn't.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 10:12:28 AM »

Nobody's mentioned Joe Walsh and Gary Clark on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"  -- I thought their solos and guitar interplay were a real highlight.  Walsh looked good too -- I think there were a number of performers on the stage who have changed old habits.  His voice was a little thin next to Clark's, but the guitars were fine.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »

I got choked up too, several times! Hey Bulldog kicked ass!

Just on this one comment, I agree - I thought Brian at least would have been in one of the clips.

But the thought you mentioned, about stepping it up: That *is* actually included at the end of the current CNN documentary about the 60's British Invasion, it features that exact point but also in reverse, saying how Brian's work in the studio made the Beatles step up *their* game and how Brian's work in the studio and sonic experiments led directly to Revolver and then, of course, Pepper. And also mentioning Rubber Soul as an influence as a full album statement rather than a collection of songs, how that influenced Brian for Pet Sounds. But Brian in the studio was given a good chunk of time, some studio footage was shown, and the CNN show basically put a lot of the influence for spending time experimenting with new sounds in the studio on what Brian was doing in 1965-66, and how it opened up the door for something like Revolver, not as concerned with performing the songs live as much as crafting new textures and sounds using the studio.

Catch the CNN doc, it's pretty well done IMO.

And for some reason i thought Brian was to have been involved in the CBS Grammy special, I guess I read that wrong because he obviously wasn't.

I did catch that CNN documentary. They devoted more time to Brian than probably any other artist (other than The Beatles) in the doc. And who would've thought Lyle Ritz would make an appearance! Grin Every time I see that 1966 footage of Brian in the studio - at the peak of his powers - it blows me away.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »

Nobody's mentioned Joe Walsh and Gary Clark on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"  -- I thought their solos and guitar interplay were a real highlight.  Walsh looked good too -- I think there were a number of performers on the stage who have changed old habits.  His voice was a little thin next to Clark's, but the guitars were fine.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that; it was a highlight.

You know who else I enjoyed? Peter Frampton. He probably had a few demons of his own to exercise after what happened to his solo career, and it's nice to see he (appears?) to be in a good place as a featured guitarist and integral part of a band again.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »

I was also pleasantly surprised. It was great hearing "Hey Bulldog' and I  was
surprised at how moving Annie Lennox's version of " Fool on the Hill " was.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that; it was a highlight.

You know who else I enjoyed? Peter Frampton. He probably had a few demons of his own to exercise after what happened to his solo career, and it's nice to see he (appears?) to be in a good place as a featured guitarist and integral part of a band again.

Yes, he also seemed healthy and fine chops wise.  Even without the golden locks!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »

I keeping thinking of more things from the show...

As soon as Paul started "Hey Jude", I swear I was thinking that they have to show Yoko when Paul sings "Remember to let her into your heart..."  

Does anybody know if Paul ever performed "Hey Jude" with Yoko in the audience?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »

Walsh was great... but I have to admit, his vocal stylings aren't to my taste at all. I thought his voice sounded  awful.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »

They were all great!!!  At least that's what I heard.  I didn't get to watch it 'cause I got sucked into a Valentine dinner/dance last night.

I'm sure it'll be re-broadcast this Summer, won't it?  Or maybe the entire thing will be on Youtube or some other website for download? I sure hope so!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx