gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:46:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Demo: The Better Part of Valor  (Read 1468 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »

Finally set up a Soundcloud page, so if you'd like, you can hear "The Better Part of Valor" here: https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/the-better-part-of-valor

I've been kicking around the first verse of this piano-based ballad for a week or so; everything else I wrote and recorded this morning. As you'll see, this is just piano, a doubled lead, and some harmonies. I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing to finish off a version--quite possibly I'll just let it mold and die as it is--but who knows? Hope you enjoy it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

Pleasant song.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »

Pleasant song.

Thanks. I guess today's a pleasant valley Saturday. Actually it's not pleasant today, it's fucking cold. But that's beside the point.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »

Nice.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:43:54 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

To respond somewhat out of order:

First, thanks for the nice words about the song. Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll get back to it to finish an arrangement and rerecord it properly (though I always say that and then just move on...).

As for the downloading, I can understand why anyone trying to sell his music would limit or avoid free downloads, but that's not a concern for me, so I don't care. The whole point of the soundcloud page was just to make it easier to point friends to new music, rather than emailing sh*t around or uploading to sendspace, etc. So if they want to download once there, fine by me. If offers for cash start rolling in, I'll reconsider.  Grin

As for what the song is about, that is always kind of an awkward question to answer when it isn't a clear narrative. But I guess I'd say the song is about exhibiting and expecting discretion from a romantic partner. (Discretion is the better part of valor, the Shakespearean saying goes.) This song began as the first line (and chords) and built from there. That line is "Your best advice to me was not to ask questions with answers I wouldn't want to know." Then it just plays with that idea, the curses and blessings of wanting to know, not knowing, or knowing things about your partner (and vice versa).

Finally, I can assure you there is no mention of semolina or any other pasta product in the tune! The lyric you're mishearing is actually "She acts decisively, no gone-and-back, tiresome theatrics. She acts. Just up and go." Funny way you heard it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:24:20 AM »

'lright.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:42:53 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx