gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:16:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's sick to death of hearing about the beatles....!?  (Read 17670 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:08:44 AM »

Meeeeeeee  Grin
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »

Never heard of 'em. Were they an opening act for the Beach Boys or something?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:31:12 AM »

I'd guess starting a thread that references the Beatles won't keep you from hearing about the Beatles (unless, having started it, you abandon the thread).

To answer the question of the thread: I am, but not in the way some people seem to be (were they superior/inferior to the Beach Boys, were they really the greatest band ever and if not, who is, etc.). I think they were the best pop band of all time. They deserve acclaim as much as any pop band deserves acclaim.

I'm sick of them just because it gets tiresome to talk about the same old bands whose output has (more or less, barring reissues) ceased. For every one nugget of music or interesting new perspective, there are a few hundred rehashes of old ideas. For example, whether we're sick of hearing about the Beatles.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:34:23 AM »

On tabloids in the grocery store. On the front page of iTunes every. f*kin. week. I flipped on the TV just now, and what's on CBS? A story on the Beatles invasion.

I'm sick of hearing about em too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »

I'd guess starting a thread that references the Beatles won't keep you from hearing about the Beatles (unless, having started it, you abandon the thread).

To answer the question of the thread: I am, but not in the way some people seem to be (were they superior/inferior to the Beach Boys, were they really the greatest band ever and if not, who is, etc.). I think they were the best pop band of all time. They deserve acclaim as much as any pop band deserves acclaim.

I'm sick of them just because it gets tiresome to talk about the same old bands whose output has (more or less, barring reissues) ceased. For every one nugget of music or interesting new perspective, there are a few hundred rehashes of old ideas. For example, whether we're sick of hearing about the Beatles.

A simple yes or no would suffice.. No need to be a smartass
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:37:08 AM by lostbeachboy » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »

Wow your smart...!
Thanks. I'm also tall, punctual, and fully prepared to discuss the ins and outs of possessives and contractions.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »

Quote from: lostbeachboy
Meeeeeeee   Grin

Wow your smart...!

Spam...? Roll Eyes

At least provide something of an actual introductory post...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »

Wow your smart...!
Thanks. I'm also tall, punctual, and fully prepared to discuss the ins and outs of possessives and contractions.
Thanks for making me laugh out loud. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:46:11 AM »

Not tired.  Anthology was awesome.

I don't see what the big deal is you are a BB fan.  Stop comparing them.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »

Meeeeeeee  Grin
Not anymore.  I was sick of all the hype during the BB "drought" (in the States) during the late 60's and 70's, which "in the eye of the public" pitted the two bands against one another as competitors rather than each band inspiring the work of the other, and the mutual admiration, of each other's music concepts and innovations.  By that I reference the Beatles hearing Pet Sounds, early on, and the impact that TM and Eastern philosophy had on both.

Now, knowing that it was the corporate domain that (in the States) showed preference to the Beatles, to the detriment of the Boys, and, the actual truth emerging, with the numerous joint accolades of McCartney, Ringo performing in DC post the death of Dennis, that there was a certain "meeting of the minds" as between the two groups that the corporate sphere could not prevent happening.  Great minds think alike, and spurred growth and competition in a good way, for each's personal best. 

It's a very cool place to have seen that Ed Sullivan show and reflect on what happened in between.  The Beatles actually helped lift up the States, in mourning for JFK, when they landed here in 1964.  I think JFK would have loved that.   Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »

No.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »

I disagree that a simple yes or no would suffice, in which case we could just accomplish the same thing with an up-or-down poll. The fun of a message board--in those rare occasions when it's fun--is reading people's opinions with some sort of context around them. A simple yes or no doesn't provide that. For example, while my answer was actually a yes--superficially your answer, though more on that in the next paragraph--the reason was not the stereotypical one found on this board. I thought it warranted a brief explanation. I'm not expecting anyone to necessarily agree, nor do I care whether they do, but maybe someone would find it interesting.

As far as whether there's need to be a smartass, that's a matter of opinion, too. The goal of that was really just to note that you contradict your own stated opinion by starting a thread on the very topic about which you're tired of reading. That's an inherent contradiction and implies maybe you actually have no trouble reading about the Beatles, as long as it's in the context you want to read about them. (You didn't say anything one way or the other, but given the thread placement on a Beach Boys message board in the "General On Topic Discussions" forum, that context may be something like a general piling on of posts like "yeah, the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles, I hate how everyone always says the Beatles are so great," etc.) I could have said the same thing without the attempt at humor, but it would then have read something more like this long-winded paragraph. Besides, a little levity never broke a message board. Then you sarcastically and misspellingly (I made up that word because it was fun to do so) said I was smart and I made Smile Brian laugh and you edited your post to recommend a simple yes or no and that's pretty much gotten us to where we are now. This post is also a bit on the smartass side, but I assure you there's no malice. Just an intelligent anus.

I do hope nobody else takes your yes-or-no advice, though. It won't suffice.

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

Not at all. I enjoy their music almost as much as the Beach Boys as well as the music from the "English Invasion" that followed their arrival to the U.S.
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

Kind of but, only in the sense that I'm sick of news about The Beatles that isn't accompanied by words like "to release Carnival of Light on (date)" or "catalog confirmed to show up on Spotify starting tomorrow". yeah, yeah, yeah important band, great pop songs, significant impact on pop culture, who knows what the music industry would be like if not for them, etc. now shadup about all-a that and let us finally get to hear any of their songs whenever we want via Spotify.  Wink

(do you think i'm going to be beyond miffed if this year passes by without a (good) deal between The Beatles catalog music and Spotify? gee.)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »

I have the Beatles USB and that thing is awesome. I wish the Beach Boys had something like that.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »

I'm sick of hearing that people are sick of hearing about the Beatles
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »

I have the Beatles USB and that thing is awesome. I wish the Beach Boys had something like that.

I'd support a USB drive full of remastered mono/stereo album, remastered live albums (including lei'd in Hawaii). Shoot, make the USB drive in the shape of a surfboard and Mike Love may even bankroll this thing himself.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »

Relax, the BB themselves were big fans of theirs and took a lot of inspiration from what they did.

That said, never a favorite pop/rock group of mine, though I like some of their earlier stuff as well as All Things Must Pass and a couple McCartney solo records.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »

No, never. Always had an interest in the careers of most 60s bands and how they have panned out since their heyday, good and bad.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »

Relax, the BB themselves were big fans of theirs and took a lot of inspiration from what they did.

I took OPs original post to mean: in regards to the media love-fest of the 50th who is sick of hearing about the Beatles?

Personally, I love the Beatles. I've been listening to them nearly every day for the last few weeks. I love hearing them, I'm getting tired of hearing about them lately.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »

I'm sick of hearing that people are sick of hearing about the Beatles

Yep.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty much over the Beatles.
A few years ago I used to love it. I guess not so much anymore.

Plus some of their work is highly overrated. Such as Sgt. Pepper and the White Album.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »

Nah, albums that define eras are not overrated.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »

Nah, albums that define eras are not overrated.

I'm sorry, but I just don't care for those albums much. It comes down to personal taste, not general consensus.

I only like a few songs from each. The rest? Sgt. Pepper is too pop and the White Album is too weird.

But I still love Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »

Nope, I love The Beatles and always will. Always glad to hear about them or to hear them.

Loving The Beach Boys doesn't stop me from also loving The Beatles.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx