gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:33:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's sick to death of hearing about the beatles....!?  (Read 17606 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »

I'm sick of hearing that people are sick of hearing about the Beatles

Verily thou hast spoken.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »

If anyone is sick of it now, you must have missed the 1995 publicity blitz around the "Anthology" which was way more massive, and that's saying something considering the internet part of the promotion wasn't even that big in those days.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »

Not me. You young'uns will never understand that moment of AWE when you buy a 'just released' Beatle LP. Bring it home, examine the cover art and/or liner notes, and then...have your mind BLOWN when the needle hits the record.

For me, it was the White Album. G.C. Murphy, Thanksgiving weekend, 1968.

I then took the album over to my friend's house (who was MUCH older...he was 12). We listened to it, discussed the lyrics, and debated their meaning. It was deep man, in '68.  Afro

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 07:15:54 PM »

I'm sick to death of hearing about The Beatles from people who have no idea what they are talking about.  First and foremost the fact that this whole fifty years of Beatlemania thing is kicking off this year instead of last year is a complete and total farce.  Beatlemania was running wild in the UK and throughout Europe for at least a good solid six months before 2-9-64 and probably a bit longer than that.  It seems that as the years roll along and more specifically my years as a Beatles fan begin to accumulate in number, the number of authors and writers that I actually find to be even remotely credible in writing about The Beatles seem to get smaller and smaller.

The late Neil Aspinall was right when he mentioned that "everyone and their uncle has told (written) The Beatles story".  It's just redundant now and unfortunately a lot of it now is starting to be second and third hand accounts from people who weren't even alive in the sixties to experience it.  Now I understand that it's more than possible for people who didn't live through a particular event or time period to still write decent copy about it but when it comes to The Beatles, those folks are few and far between.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »

That's true. Time is the enemy in all these things. You can't fully appreciate the band without appreciating the impact in its' day. To those born after the fact, it's like imaging yourself living in another era.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:59 PM »

I'm sick to death of hearing about The Beatles from people who have no idea what they are talking about.  First and foremost the fact that this whole fifty years of Beatlemania thing is kicking off this year instead of last year is a complete and total farce.  Beatlemania was running wild in the UK and throughout Europe for at least a good solid six months before 2-9-64 and probably a bit longer than that.  It seems that as the years roll along and more specifically my years as a Beatles fan begin to accumulate in number, the number of authors and writers that I actually find to be even remotely credible in writing about The Beatles seem to get smaller and smaller.

The late Neil Aspinall was right when he mentioned that "everyone and their uncle has told (written) The Beatles story".  It's just redundant now and unfortunately a lot of it now is starting to be second and third hand accounts from people who weren't even alive in the sixties to experience it.  Now I understand that it's more than possible for people who didn't live through a particular event or time period to still write decent copy about it but when it comes to The Beatles, those folks are few and far between.

Good post. The Beach Boys had their 50th in 2012. In actuality, Ideally, The Beatles should have had their 50th the same year (or the year before). Not sure I'd say this 50th acknowledgement of The Beatles coming to America is an all balls out celebration, but I'm glad the media is giving it attention. It's really when they came to America and played their first gig on Ed Sullivan is when it happened for most Americans, not before then. Just like The Beach Boys played their first gig in the Los Angeles area in 1961. Even though there are only two Beatles left, I'm not sure what kind of celebration the UK could have had anyway, but I don't recall a lot happening the last two years to mark the Beatles beginnings in Liverpool, Hamburg, or London.

The 50th Anniversary of the death of JFK was an American milestone. Yes, the world was affected, but JFK was ours, so we remembered the occasion. Just like we remembered the Beatles on February 9, 1964 to help us forget those 4 dark days in the U.S. about 3 months before.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »

You know, all of this 50th anniversary talk has really made me wonder if they would have reunited if all four of them had still been alive. Even though they kind of seemed destined to never reunite, I don't see how they could not do something for something like a 50th anniversary. Could you imagine a Beatles/Beach Boys 50th anniversary tour? Shocked Yes, I know the math is off a little, but just try to picture it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

If anyone is sick of it now, you must have missed the 1995 publicity blitz around the "Anthology" which was way more massive, and that's saying something considering the internet part of the promotion wasn't even that big in those days.

I remember this like it was yesterday. HUGE promotion by Capitol Records. Three volumes of the Beatles Anthology Series in 1995. What a resurgence for old fans and a new generation of fans. Played it over and over at home and in the car. It's when my 12 year old daughter and I really connected on a music level, especially with the Beatles. While other kids from her piano lessons group (15) were playing little ditzy classical pieces at the recitals that solicited polite applause, my daughter was playing and singing Beatle songs and bringing the house down with loud applause and standing O's. And the Beatles convention in San Francisco where she bought some collectibles including a pair of John Lennon glasses (which she actually wore) listened to guest speakers who were there, and watched some great musicians cover the songs. Those were real good times for my family - The Beatles (and Beach Boys) music was and still is a permanent fixture for life.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:07:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »

You know, all of this 50th anniversary talk has really made me wonder if they would have reunited if all four of them had still been alive. Even though they kind of seemed destined to never reunite, I don't see how they could not do something for something like a 50th anniversary. Could you imagine a Beatles/Beach Boys 50th anniversary tour? Shocked Yes, I know the math is off a little, but just try to picture it.

Imagine an anniversary tour with Paul, Ringo, and Pete. The three remaining Beatles.
With Julian, Sean, Dhani and James joining them as well!

Obviously, none of this is never going to happen, just as Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Blondie and Ricky will never get back together. But we can always Imagine...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:12:04 PM by Little Bird, Right in a Tree... » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »

Saw Sean sitting next to his Mom the other night at the Grammy's and he looked like the spittin' image of his old man, circa 1969.

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 09:26:41 PM »

I love the Beatles. I don't hear too many people talk about them at all so it doesn't bother me at all. If they ever come up in conversation it's just fine.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »

Yeah, isn't that scary? Dhani looks just like his dad circa 1965. Maybe even more so than Sean looking like John.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »

Jay, check out Dhani on the Tribute for George Harrison video. His looks and mannerisms remind me a lot of his Dad.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »

I remember this like it was yesterday. HUGE promotion by Capitol Records. Three volumes of the Beatles Anthology Series in 1995. What a resurgence for old fans and a new generation of fans. Played it over and over at home and in the car. It's when my 12 year old daughter and I really connected on a music level, especially with the Beatles. While other kids from her piano lessons group (15) were playing little ditzy classical pieces at the recitals that solicited polite applause, my daughter was playing and singing Beatle songs and bringing the house down with loud applause and standing O's. And the Beatles convention in San Francisco where she bought some collectibles including a pair of John Lennon glasses (which she actually wore) listened to guest speakers who were there, and watched some great musicians cover the songs. Those were real good times for my family - The Beatles (and Beach Boys) music was and still is a permanent fixture for life.
Man, I have great memories of this time period. Both my parents and I gathered around in the living room to watch the series when it aired on tv. I was about nine, and was allowed to stay up later than usual until the episode(s) ended. But then I had to go to bed immediately after. Two of those episodes had the world wide debut of brand new "Beatles songs", which were counted down second by second. Now, I ask you, can you really expect anyone to be able to be able to fall asleep after something like that?!?  Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:36 PM »

Jay, check out Dhani on the Tribute for George Harrison video. His looks and mannerisms remind me a lot of his Dad.
He even has George's "fang tooth"!  Shocked  Grin

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »

Man, I have great memories of this time period. Both my parents and I gathered around in the living room to watch the series when it aired on tv. I was about nine, and was allowed to stay up later than usual until the episode(s) ended. But then I had to go to bed immediately after. Two of those episodes had the world wide debut of brand new "Beatles songs", which were counted down second by second. Now, I ask you, can you really expect anyone to be able to be able to fall asleep after something like that?!?  Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

Yep!  And along with the CD sets and the TV Special series, then you could buy the video on VHS and DVD. Good stuff. Some of the music was bootlegged prior, but there were plenty of new revelations too.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »

If you are chalking up the hoopla over this anniversary to the Baby Boomers reliving their collective childhood -- well, you're right, up to a point. But a new nationwide survey for TheStreet by GfK has found that a clear majority of respondents of all age groups feel that the Beatles remain relevant even for those born after 1980 -- the year John Lennon was killed.

Pre-fame, Lennon pushed his bandmates to keep their spirits up, telling them repeatedly that the band was going to the very top of pop charts, "the toppermost of the poppermost." So successful were they that 50 years later, they are still there, at the very top. 

According to the Recording Industry Association of America, which certifies Gold and Platinum records on request from labels, the Beatles have sold 177 million complete albums in the U.S. alone over 50-plus years, making them the top act in history, in terms of album sales, to be certified Gold or Platinum. Nielsen SoundScan says that since it started tracking sales in 1991, the Beatles have sold more than 65 million albums, second only to Garth Brooks (with 69 million). The collection of No. 1 hits, The Beatles 1, is the top-selling album for the last decade. Additionally, the band sold 15 million digital songs. Many Web sites estimate Beatles global all-time sales but those figures vary wildly depending on the source. The Web site StatisticBrain puts album sales alone at over 2 billion -- yes, that's "billion" with a "b".

Any way you look at it, that's a lot of selling. There are many out there who certainly won't pass up the opportunity to generate additional revenue from these upcoming 50th anniversaries.

Last month, Universal Music Group, a subsidiary of Vivendi (VIV_), released The Beatles: U.S. Albums, a CD box set of the American versions of the Beatles recordings, with the early ones released on the Capitol Records label. That dropped Jan. 21, just in time for the Grammys and the tribute broadcast. The track order and mixes for U.S. issues of the early Beatles albums was slightly different from those released in the U.K. In this set of remastered recordings, the orders match the original U.S. pressings, but any original differences in the mix are lost.

The collection of BBC recordings, mentioned above, On Air: Live at the BBC, Vol. 2,  was released in 2013, the 50th anniversary of the Beatles rise to stardom in Britain.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12315203/1/the-beatles-part-3-give-me-money-thats-what-i-want.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »

Yep!  And along with the CD sets and the TV Special series, then you could buy the video on VHS and DVD. Good stuff. Some of the music was bootlegged prior, but there were plenty of new revelations too.
I still remember the day when my mom went out somewhere, and my dad and I took the chance to listen to volume 3 of the Anthology cd. This weird, plodding, slow beat came on, and Paul started with "When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the ride, and I know as I get there I never get high", and my dad and I looked at each other at the exact same time.  Grin  That's one of the best memories I have about my dad and I.  Smiley

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »

I'm sick of hearing that people are sick of hearing about the Beatles

Amen to that!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »

You know, all of this 50th anniversary talk has really made me wonder if they would have reunited if all four of them had still been alive.

In my opinion they would have and the reason that is most often cited is the original plan for the ending of the "Anthology" was not the FAAB/RL "Threetles" sessions that we ended up getting but a full scale reunion concert featuring all four Beatles.  On November 28, 1980 in a legal deposition taken as part of a lawsuit on the part of Apple against the New York stage show "Beatlemania", John Lennon stated that he and the other three Beatles did plan to stage a reunion concert which would be filmed and included as the finale of a Beatles made autobiographical documentary entitled "The Long And Winding Road".  

According to Neil Aspinall, "The Long And Winding Road" had been in production since the early seventies but was hampered by the lack of footage that was available to Apple at the time.  Aspinall once described his earliest cuts of the documentary as featuring "little more than footage of planes landing and taking off".  Some of this early footage is believed to have been used in a 1976 promo film for "Back In The USSR" used to promote the "Rock & Roll Music" LP.  Still, Aspinall continued to tinker with the film throughout the decade and allegedly would from time to time show it to the former Beatles.  Given John's deposition it would seem by 1980 that the project was starting to gain serious legs as it not only had endorsement of all of The Beatles but was seemingly getting to the point where The Beatles would become active participants in some form in it's production.

Unfortunately all plans for the documentary went into cold storage for around a decade following the events of 12-8-80 and the ensuing legal tangles that Paul, George, Ringo & Yoko would find themselves in throughout the decade of the eighties.  Once the lawsuits were settled however, the project finally did get off the ground in the early nineties and was eventually retitled, realized and released as "The Beatles: Anthology".  

Now what is truly bizarre is to my knowledge despite the fact that this deposition has been public knowledge since the lawsuit between Apple and the production company behind "Beatlemania" was settled in 1986, not once during the media campaign for "Anthology" nor since has reporter ever asked Paul, George, Ringo or Yoko about the statements John Lennon made in his 1980 deposition in regards to the original plans for the "Anthology" project.  

So whenever anyone inevitably asks the infamous question ("Would have The Beatles ever gotten back together"/"If John Lennon had lived would've The Beatles gotten back together") the first thing that strikes me is that mere days prior to his death, John Lennon may have given us the closest we'll ever get to an answer to that question and those statements have been part of the public record since 1986.  Yet nobody ever seems to bring this up for reasons that to this day remain a complete mystery to me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:15:35 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »

Saw Sean sitting next to his Mom the other night at the Grammy's and he looked like the spittin' image of his old man, circa 1969.

Yeah. He looks like his dad at Live Peace in Toronto.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flaming-lips-and-sean-lennon-visit-lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds-20140207

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »

You know, all of this 50th anniversary talk...

... is a good two years late, maybe three depending on how you define it. But, as someone said in another post, nothing ever happens outside of the USA.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:37:14 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »

Not me, as long as they keep the Fab Four limelighted it give me more opportunity to share the greatest Rock Band of all Time.

THE BEACH BOYS (echo added)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »

How can anyone be sick to death of hearing about The Beatles? They were the leading act of the 1960's, their music inspired Brian Wilson to write Pet Sounds, plus their influence can be heard in numerous other Beach Boys songs. You have to give credit where credit is due, and thanks to The Beatles, their music pushed Brian Wilson and the rest of The Beach Boys to record better and better music.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »

I know so little about the Beatles that I wondered why everybody has talking about them lately.

I know they influenced the Beach Boys, and obviously music and pop culture generally, but I don't particularly care for them.  I guess their early stuff was ok, but I personally don't find them "revolutionary" enough to care.  Beatles, meh.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx