gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:20:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's sick to death of hearing about the beatles....!?  (Read 17537 times)
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »

I still had such mixed feelings watching the Grammy special on CBS <snip> but some (or most if not all) of those bands and singers sounded awful.
 Grin

Really? Did you hear Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, and Dhani Harrison perform "Something"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7Q3VAn3os
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:08:00 PM by Gregg » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »

I think all of the Wilburys material is due for a revisit and a re-release. It's quality music, well-played and well-recorded that has a great vibe to it. I think people who missed it the first time around would be pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up over the years. "Tweeter And The Monkey Man" is one of the better sounding Dylan tunes of the past 30 years.

I seriously think the Wilburys worked because there was nobody in that band who was starstruck in that company of musicians. The only one I'd think any of them might defer to in terms of acting like a fan as much as a contemporary would be Roy, because each of them loved Roy's music from the time he was still cutting records on the Sun label, rockabilly tunes like Ooby Dooby and others. But I don't think any of them felt like they were in a pressure situation, I think they just came together out of the sheer joy of making music with each other. And the guy who admits to being awestruck at times was Jeff Lynne, yet his production chops may have been the thing he had over the others. So it worked.

Wings, I think, could have had more of a wide-ranging legacy if not for the fact that they really were not all that consistent in their output. I don't mean musically, but rather in a branding sense. Look at the 70's output from Paul, and where there were classic songs that struck a chord with listeners it could have come from a Paul and Linda album, a Wings album, or something in between where even the Wings lineup was never really a constant thing. Was "Wings" that people bought on "Band On The Run" the same Wings who did the live tour and album? When someone hears "Another Day", do they think it's a Wings song? Paul, Denny Seiwell, and Linda are on it, but it's not Wings. Yet that same lineup with the other Denny was Wings. Or was to be Wings. Then there was McCartney 2, was that Wings like Back To The Egg? or was it a Paul and Linda affair like the first album called McCartney?

It just seemed like the brand was never really established, other than McCartney being the focal point. Maybe it's just me...maybe I'm amazed...I don't know.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rogerlancelot
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »

I still had such mixed feelings watching the Grammy special on CBS <snip> but some (or most if not all) of those bands and singers sounded awful.
 Grin

Really? Did you hear Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, and Dhani Harrison perform "Something"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7Q3VAn3os

Yes and that was by far the best performance of the night bar "Hey Jude" (which was shortened for broadcast by the way). Most of the rest was sad but again like I say if it turns on some young people to older music (time tested) then there can be nothing wrong with it. It just was uncomfortable for me personally at times and I had to leave the room. And isn't this a strange world where Peter Frampton looks like he could be Ringo's father?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

The Beatles will fade quite a bit, overtime.  Long after us, mind you.  I can't convince everyone how right I am, so natural forces will take over and finish the job it started.

Share a preview?  Absolutely.  You ready?  Ok... their music will not measures up to their impact.  It was based on accessories.

But what have I ever been right about....

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx