gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:24:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scholarly/Academic Articles on Brian?  (Read 2147 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2014, 05:18:11 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations or sources for academic articles on Brian/The Beach Boys/Pet Sounds? I know I can probably use Phillip Lambert's book, but I'm looking for some other scholars' write-ups. Even something with an opposing viewpoint would be good - not sure I've come across someone with a doctorate in music that thinks The Beach Boys suck, though.  Grin

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 05:21:12 AM »

There ought to be tons of papers and essays from the fields of Musicology, Cultural Studies etc. in the past couple of decades. It's just that those rarely get (widely) published or are easy to find..
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »

I have a friend who's high school music teacher used Beach Boys song exclusively to teach his students everything they needed to know about music theory. The things Brian has done with music just covers so much ground.

I've looked for the same thing you're after, and haven't found anything  Sad

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:35:58 AM »

If you yourself are enrolled in a college/university, you should have access to an online database full of academic essays...it should be accessible through your school's library website (though I could be mistaken). Searching The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson on such a database may yield some results.

Ps, sorry if this was obvious/not helpful...I wish I still had access to that trove of essays, I'd look it up myself Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:38:17 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:47:25 AM »

Bill Tobelman's website. Cheesy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:03 AM »

Some interesting stuff here: http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/rrcase-jazzwilson.htm

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »

There is a book by the Eastman School of Music teacher that appears on IJWMFTT docu. Forget his name.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »

I recommend Kirk Curnutt's book, Brian Wilson, in the Icons of Pop Music series. It's written in the academic voice, and explores musical, lyrical, and cultural themes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:34:20 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »

Theodore Graczyk, a philosopher of aesthetics, has discussed in his book Listening To Popular Music, Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Led Zeppelin (2007, University of Michigan Press) whether or not Pet Sounds can be considered a work of art given the traditional criteria for the category. (If I recall correctly, it doesn't pass muster!) Beyond that, I can't think of any other sustained treatment of The Beach Boys or Brian Wilson from academics, though I imagine at this point there must be more than a few.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »

I have a friend who's high school music teacher used Beach Boys song exclusively to teach his students everything they needed to know about music theory. The things Brian has done with music just covers so much ground.

I've looked for the same thing you're after, and haven't found anything  Sad

That would suck, so bad, to be in  that class.  I love the Beach Boys but motherfucker he teaches about all music, using the same band?  Why?  Think who he's ignoring, what a horrible way to teach something so expansive and beautiful. 

Does he teach anything classical at all?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »

If you yourself are enrolled in a college/university, you should have access to an online database full of academic essays...it should be accessible through your school's library website (though I could be mistaken). Searching The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson on such a database may yield some results.

Ps, sorry if this was obvious/not helpful...I wish I still had access to that trove of essays, I'd look it up myself Cheesy

I have a few databases, but didn't really turn up much when I looked this morning - I'll have to do a more in-depth search at another time. My university's library does have the Lambert book, which is going to be helpful - I just need more actual academic writings. I'm sure I'll turn some up soon.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »

I have a few databases, but didn't really turn up much when I looked this morning - I'll have to do a more in-depth search at another time. My university's library does have the Lambert book, which is going to be helpful - I just need more actual academic writings. I'm sure I'll turn some up soon.

I'm not sure if Andy Hollinden has written any papers on Brian Wilson/Beach Boys. But he does teach a course revolving around the Beach Boys at Indiana. Might be worth looking up his name in a database.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx