-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Old-Threadiquette (tm)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old-Threadiquette (tm)  (Read 11791 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »

Lately a few posters have been dredging up long-dormant threads: not a few weeks or months, but years. Sometimes in the past I've noticed members reacting very strongly against this practice; other times, posters rage when people don't do it, but rather begin a new thread on a topic that existed before. What are people's thoughts on the subject? Should old threads be resurrected? Is there a span of time after which it's inappropriate to exhume the corpse? Just curious.

I have mixed feelings. I actually enjoy seeing what people who are still around, myself included, may have said five, six, seven years ago. Conversely, it drives me nuts to see people quoting and responding to posts that were made so long ago by people who often haven't been back in quite some time (and obviously won't ever read the response, much less answer).

What's your opinion on old-threadiquette? (I laughed and called myself clever when I wrote that word. Someone has to call me clever. Why not me?)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

I'm assuming you mainly mean me when you say a few posters  LOL

I enjoy checking out older threads. Love seeing what people had to say years ago, and checking out some of the people who are no longer here.

Plus, there have been some really interesting topics in the past. Beach Boys and the Mafia, anyone?
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »

I don't mind if someone revives an old thread if they really have something relevant to add to it. The problem with reviving old threads is that some people chose to revive pointless ones that may end up stirring unnecessary drama. The point is, only revive an old thread if you have something significant to add or don't want to clog up the board with the same topic.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »

I don't mind if someone revives an old thread if they really have something relevant to add to it. The problem with reviving old threads is that some people chose to revive pointless ones that may end up stirring unnecessary drama. The point is, only revive an old thread if you have something significant to add or don't want to clog up the board with the same topic.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16045.msg422838.html#msg422838

Perfect example.

But I don't mind old threads being dug up if they're good for discussion. When WIBNTLA came out I bumped the "Would Surf's Up Have Been The Greatest" thread cuz I knew there was quite a lot to be discussed. And a lot was discussed.
So as long as there's a reason for the bumping.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:23:15 PM by Woodstock » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »

Honestly I don't pay much attention to who is writing what most of the time. And I don't recognize your name. But if it's you, then I guess yes, I mean you!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »

Honestly I don't pay much attention to who is writing what most of the time. And I don't recognize your name. But if it's you, then I guess yes, I mean you!
What does it really matter?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 06:28:20 AM »

Lately a few posters have been dredging up long-dormant threads: not a few weeks or months, but years. Sometimes in the past I've noticed members reacting very strongly against this practice; other times, posters rage when people don't do it, but rather begin a new thread on a topic that existed before. What are people's thoughts on the subject? Should old threads be resurrected? Is there a span of time after which it's inappropriate to exhume the corpse? Just curious.

I have mixed feelings. I actually enjoy seeing what people who are still around, myself included, may have said five, six, seven years ago. Conversely, it drives me nuts to see people quoting and responding to posts that were made so long ago by people who often haven't been back in quite some time (and obviously won't ever read the response, much less answer).

What's your opinion on old-threadiquette? (I laughed and called myself clever when I wrote that word. Someone has to call me clever. Why not me?)

My take was that the policy was to check to see if there was a prior discussion thread before starting that same discussion again?

Especially if there are experts or "honored guests" who have posted info to not restart the same topics or issues...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »

If a poster is necroposting a thread with something interesting to say, why not? Just so long as it isn't "I agree" or "that's cool" or some other non-substantial thing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »

What does it really matter?

Who are you asking, and what? Are you asking what does it matter if people dredge up old threads? (If so, then I'm not saying it does, I was just interested in it, having seen different people with different opinions on the topic. Just curious what other people thought.)

If you are asking what does it matter who is the person or people doing the thread-revivals, then I don't think it does (as evidenced by my note that I don't really pay attention to who is posting most of the time).

If you are asking something else, I have no idea what it might be.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »

He is asking why it bothers you if someone necroposts.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »

Oh. That's easy. It doesn't.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »

Then everything is cool. Time for Whirled Peas

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:07 PM »

I find it annoying. I guess some people don't. What I really dislike are revived threads with dead links and boxes with red x's where photos used to be.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 11:20:34 PM »

What I really dislike are revived threads with dead links and boxes with red x's where photos used to be.

That part I agree with. Especially in the Last Photos of Dennis and Carl thread. Disappointing
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »

maybe in a year someone will dredge this one up again!

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »

maybe in a year someone will dredge this one up again!

Cool Guy

Let's do it again every six months

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 02:55:53 AM »

Many people revive threads. Relax. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:13:30 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »

It's worth resurrecting an old thread if it addresses a very specific question. Otherwise... No, it's annoying.

Case in point:

"Brian Wilson Appreciation Thread". Generic as hell, no interesting information whatsoever, 2 pages, died in 2006.

1st post by thread digger:

Brian's a musical genius  Grin

WELL GEE, THANKS FOR THIS CRUCIAL PIECE OF INFORMATION. THIS WAS WELL WORTH RESURRECTING A THREAD THAT HAD DIED EIGHT YEARS AGO.

Angry
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:37:40 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »

@SloopJohnB

That is precisely the type of post I was alluding to in my post above.

If a poster is necroposting a thread with something interesting to say, why not? Just so long as it isn't "I agree" or "that's cool" or some other non-substantial thing.

It really does come of as, not only spam, but attention mongering.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »

@SloopJohnB

That is precisely the type of post I was alluding to in my post above.

It really does come of as, not only spam, but attention mongering.

Thank you, Thank you very much

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 07:55:53 PM »

My fingers do love on occasion to go clickety-clack. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »

It's worth resurrecting an old thread if it addresses a very specific question. Otherwise... No, it's annoying.

Case in point:

"Brian Wilson Appreciation Thread". Generic as hell, no interesting information whatsoever, 2 pages, died in 2006.

WELL GEE, THANKS FOR THIS CRUCIAL PIECE OF INFORMATION. THIS WAS WELL WORTH RESURRECTING A THREAD THAT HAD DIED EIGHT YEARS AGO.

Angry

I agree

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »

Case in point:

Angry

I agree

you agree it's a crucial piece of information or you agree it's a tragic miscarriage of justice or you agree it's annoying or what's behind door number four

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »

I agree that bumping an old thread that wasn't really used in the first place is pointless, so I'm agreeing with SJB

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 03:03:14 AM »

Case in point:

Angry
[/quote/]
if a little thing like this bothers you then...wow.  Undecided I didn't tell a lie did I?  Angry that thread wasn't for "information" it was for appreciating Brian

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: