gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681660 Posts in 27653 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 07:11:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AL & BLONDIE IN NYC AT THE RUBIN ON FEBRUARY 7th  (Read 12634 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »

Anybody in the New York area on the fence about Al's show on Friday should know Blondie is confirmed and judging from rehearsals -- if you're a FRIENDS, 20/20, and SUNFLOWER fan, it's gonna be worth your while.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »

Wow...!! Wish I could be there.... Undecided
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »

Nice...I hope some great videos turn up from the gig.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »

Would love to be there. Not sure I can make it from where I work in time though.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »

that's what sick days are for...  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »

that's what sick days are for...  Smiley

That and for being able to buy online the first day tickets go on sale.  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:15 AM »

If this is truly going to be a unique performance, and if Al has no intention or ability to finally mount a real full-blown solo tour of small clubs and smaller venues to present a show like this, then I really hope they capture this show professionally in audio and hopefully video form and release it. These guys aren’t getting any younger, and, to borrow and paraphrase a reference of Howie Edelson’s from awhile back, we need to see more of this sort of thing from Al that isn’t just “playing ‘Little Deuce Coupe’ at a street fair with rented equipment.”

If a fully reunited Beach Boys can’t keep things together (or even if they could), this sort of thing is how Al should be capping off his career, not playing corporate gigs and fairs with the “Surf City All Stars.” (No offense to those guys; I’d go see them with Al too if they played in my area.) 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:23:24 AM »

Al claims he's also gonna do Cabinessence!!!!!!!

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2014/02/06/beach-boy-al-jardine-shares-details-about-star-studded-nyc-beatles-tribute-show-taking-place-saturday/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »

That will be interesting to see how he pulls that off without the big Brian Wilson band. 
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »

I've been involved in show from the beginning and have been urging Al to really go deep, sending him the setlist that "we" want to see.
"Cabinessence" wasn't my idea (when he told me he, I literally asked him if he was joking). I was actually pushing hard for "Out In The Country" -- which didn't make the cut, but the fact that it was even in consideration says a lot about where he's willing to go. He was even mentioning "Funky Pretty" for the Blondie spot.
I'm proud to say that most of his set is something that we would all gladly go out of our way to see him play in a scaled back high-end club -- and hopefully we will.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

I've been involved in show from the beginning and have been urging Al to really go deep, sending him the setlist that "we" want to see.
"Cabinessence" wasn't my idea (when he told me he, I literally asked him if he was joking). I was actually pushing hard for "Out In The Country" -- which didn't make the cut, but the fact that it was even in consideration says a lot about where he's willing to go. He was even mentioning "Funky Pretty" for the Blondie spot.
I'm proud to say that most of his set is something that we would all gladly go out of our way to see him play in a scaled back high-end club -- and hopefully we will.

So you'll be recording it to show again in a high-end club?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »

"Funky pretty" !! That'd be cool. Both their voices shone on the record and the live versions I have heard. That would be one of the songs I wished was played by the Beach Boys (which means in 2012 or if it should happen in the future)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

Amazing that you're pulling this one off, Howie!  Let's hope it's only the beginning
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

Wow! I wish I could be there.

Please! Someone record this show! A proper CD release is warranted! This sounds incredible.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »

Wanted to bump this thread to see if we have any early reports from attendees?
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »

Wanted to bump this thread to see if we have any early reports from attendees?

Just from memory, some of the songs (in no particular order):

Wake The World
At My Window
Cabinessence
Sail On, Sailor
Transcendental Meditation
Postcard From California
Waves of Love
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Where Have All The Flowers Gone

Hopefully someone else can help me full in the blanks. There was also a Vega-Tables tease!
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »

Thanks for the update. How did Al sound? Was it a straight acoustic set? Al & a guitar? Any members of Brian's superb band performing with Al & Blondie? How was the venue? Crowd? Well attended? Sorry for all the questions. I'm miffed I couldn't make it. Bad timing for me. Any answers are appreciated
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »

SETLIST

Transcendental Meditation
TM Song
At My Window
Wake The World
A Postcard From California
Sail On Sailor - w/ Blondie & Paul Shaffer
Waves Of Love
Help Me, Rhonda
Cabinessence

Where Have All The Flowers Gone - w/ Blondie on piano
So Long It's Been Good To Know You - w/ Blondie on piano

Barbara Ann (by request) - w/ Blondie on backing vocals

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »

Not bad at all!!!!!! Ffffabulous, in fact!

“We live in divisive times.”
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:46 AM »

Nice mix; love WHATFG! Wish I had been there, would have been well worth the price of admission to see that set list.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 05:44:07 AM »

Thanks for the update. How did Al sound? Was it a straight acoustic set? Al & a guitar? Any members of Brian's superb band performing with Al & Blondie? How was the venue? Crowd? Well attended? Sorry for all the questions. I'm miffed I couldn't make it. Bad timing for me. Any answers are appreciated

Al sounded fantastic and was in fine spirits. He was playing acoustic guitar throughout the evening, with accompaniment from acoustic bass (not upright), add'l acoustic guitar, light drumming, piano, and some occasional banjo, harmonium and accordion. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like sitting around a campfire with a bunch of friends, one of whom happened to be Al Jardine. The performance was loose with people coming on-stage as the songs required.

The very deep cuts were a treat and I especially enjoyed A Postcard From California. There are some songs that you gain a deeper appreciation for after hearing live and this was one of them.

I was particularly impressed that Al did Cabinessence. That's not an easy song to pull off and after a quick false start, came out sounding great, with Mary Ann even providing some of the backing vocals. After giving a bit of background on the meaning of the song, Al touched on the historical impact of the railroads on society and then pivoted towards a bit of modern environmental concerns (as it relates to coal shipment and the rails).

He spoke briefly about the David Lynch Foundation and what they're trying to do (the show was a benefit after all). It really sounds like a fine organization and I'm looking forward to learning more about them in the future.

I'd love to see Al do more of these types of performances in the future. Maybe they could work a 5-7 song acoustic set into future BAD shows, or do some smaller, stripped down (and more affordable) acoustic shows on off-nights in markets that offer more intimate venues. We know how great Al can sound in such a setting and I'll bet Brian's singing would step up significantly as well, given the lower volumes and improved monitoring situation (ex. Rolling Stone acoustic performance during C50).

Thanks to all that made this wonderful night happen!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:32:08 AM by ToneBender631 » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »

Good for Al. Glad to see someone actually perform deep cuts. Too bad Al doesn't go on tour with special guests Brian and David.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »

Hopefully Howie will post some of the cool pictures he took, (especially the one of he & Blondie!).  Sounds like it was a great night; wish I could have been there...
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »

Here are some photos I took:

Most of you will note the total lack of microphones on-stage. The fantastic acoustics of the room rendered them entirely unnecessary and made the whole evening seem that much more intimate. There were, however, room mics above the stage (undoubtedly for recording) and there were people filming the show. Not sure if it was on Al's behalf, the DLF, the museum or all three.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:55:52 AM by ToneBender631 » Logged
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »

Gosh Darn, now that's a set list! Way to go Al. This show needs to be brought to the people, and by people, I don't mean a NYC fundraiser, or the Friends of Big Sur Library....Al needs to book a coffee house/small club tour. And while he's at it, grow back his pony tail.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx