gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:23:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Request for Michael Vosse Fusion Article  (Read 7083 times)
smiler21
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:27 AM »

Hello,

Long time lurker here. I've been looking for that article for days but couldn't find it. Looks like every link is dead. Would it be possible to post the entire Fusion article. Thanks in advance!

JF
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

It's supposedly in Dominic Priore's "Look, Listen, Smile, Vibrate," if you can find that book. I have a copy of LLSV, but the thing is so disorganized, I can't figure what's what, at least on short notice.  I also don't have a scanner. But if someone else has it, yeah, post it. So at least I can figure out where it is in that book.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »

It's NOT in LLVS.  After I lost the eBay auction for it the winner was kind enough to scan the article for me and I shared it here.  Unfortunately it's not in my computer anymore (that one died) but I'm sure someone here can post it or find it in the archives.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »

Thanks to whoever originally posted these scans:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:52:51 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »

What year was this interview done?

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »

What year was this interview done?

1969. Appeared in the April 14, # 8 edition, of Fusion. Here's the front cover:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:53:41 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that!  Smiley

Royce
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:58:01 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »

Thanks for that. I thought it was in the Priore book. I recently dug out my BB books and forgot how haphazard that collection of articles in that book is. I could have sworn I had seen that Fusion article in some book collection or other, but perhaps I had only seen it posted online.
smiler21
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:12:35 AM »

Thanks Mike, it is so appreciated!

I think it is one of the most interesting piece on SMiLE along with Siegel article and Anderle's interview.

It is a bit frustrating though... He was so close telling us, two years after the fact, the original vision of SMiLE. I am sure he would have been able to identify the original concept of The Elements. He confirms in the article the two-parts Heroes and Villains, The Barnyard Suite... Wow!!!

Andrew, you told us about the article that what is most interesting is what he didn't tell. Could you please elaborate on this.

Best Regards,

JF
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »

I thought that the folks here might like to know that the Michael Vosse Fusion piece has just been republished in full in the latest issue of Flashback magazine, together with an introduction from Domenic Priore, and additional photos. This issue also includes a huge (30 pages!) retrospective by Vashti Bunyan, and a 20-page feature on brilliant west-coast psych-sters Euphoria. Essential reading. Buy it here: http://flashbackmag.com/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:50:52 PM by harveyw » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 03:36:51 AM »

The article is important on any number of levels, but speaking personally, for what it doesn't say, and because it formed the backbone of the Smile section of Nick Kent's 1975 NME tryptich. Or if you're in a less charitable frame of mind, he lifted it uncredited.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »

What doesn't it say?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »

There were certain tracks and incidents that you'd expect Vosse, as a member of the inner circle, to mention, or at least allude to - but he doesn't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »

Couldn't that be applied to most if not all articles and interviews, though? Like Jules' "Goodbye Surfing...", he's on at least one very familiar piece of extended Smile audio that he doesn't even mention but it would have been great to hear him tell his side of what they were doing on the "lifeboat" to cause what everyone hears as a very tense atmosphere (who knows if it was all a put on), and likewise he's prominently featured in the GV firehouse promo, yet doesn't mention a word about that either - Granted, they're not exactly blockbuster events on the surface but the insight could have been revelatory had he written about it. Same with David Anderle in the 3-part interview with Williams.

It's just that I've seen the issue of what Vosse didn't say in Fusion raised before, and I don't know how a similar standard wouldn't be applied to each and every article written in the same mold. What he does say is as close to the events as one could possibly get, and only a year or so removed from the actual events which is why I weigh that article in particular very heavily as firsthand "evidence".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 03:46:41 PM »

I know this thread has been dead and buried for.. 7 years.. but could anyone kindly re-post / or PM the scans from the article mentioned above? I'm reading through a chain of threads that lead to this one and have hit a brick wall with those image links being dead. 

Thanks!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 07:21:01 PM »

Sure thing! Happy to share this with interested fans...and after reading this, consider how many failed efforts were made to dismiss both Michael Vosse and his article because it went against certain narratives...because Vosse speaks the truth.

Enjoy!

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 10:03:44 AM »

Thank you so much! This is critical info!
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 08:12:17 AM »

You can access some interesting things here too:  https://thecarbonfreeze.com/2019/06/11/smile-2-the-men-behind-the-music/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:25:51 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »

Corrected URL:
https://thecarbonfreeze.com/2019/06/11/smile-2-the-men-behind-the-music

Everything from the ? mark on is Facebook tracking you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:16:04 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 09:26:29 AM »

Corrected URL:
https://thecarbonfreeze.com/2019/06/11/smile-2-the-men-behind-the-music

Everything from the ? mark on is Facebook tracking you.

Thanks - edited accordingly.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2022, 11:48:15 AM »

You can access some interesting things here too:  https://thecarbonfreeze.com/2019/06/11/smile-2-the-men-behind-the-music/

Good to see this linked here. The blogger has since moved on to other topics but produced some wondrous SMiLE posts over the years that are well worth investigating.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Julia
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2022, 11:24:10 PM »

Sure thing! Happy to share this with interested fans...and after reading this, consider how many failed efforts were made to dismiss both Michael Vosse and his article because it went against certain narratives...because Vosse speaks the truth.

Because a good number of people have already made up their minds what they want the album/project to be, like BWPS-sequence or Dominic Priore's sequence or whatever, and they don't want to acknowledge that it most likely would've been very different from their theories. Ultimately, it's all good either way how someone likes to listen to the music but I do feel like some fans (perhaps myself chief among them) like to color or disregard the primary sources that don't fit their narrative. But the past few years have shown us that this seems to be human nature on all subjects, so I've just learned to embrace it as part of the SMiLE mythos.

(Sorry for the pop-in but I saw my site getting some traffic from this URL and I wanted to know why. Genuinely hope y'all are well. Back to the fortress of solitude  Cool Guy )
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 09:52:48 AM »

In that article Vosse talks about the Capitol lawsuit being settled out of court by Christmas 1966. But I thought the lawsuit was settled over the summer of 1967?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx