gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:15:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's merit as a singer  (Read 10449 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »

I pretty much like all of the Mike vocals i've heard, including the later You're Still A Mystery (near the end of the song). The only one I dislike is the overly nasal Getcha Back. and I was glad David Marks sang it in concert.

Agreed with Getcha Back. I love that song, it's their best single in the last 30 or so years, but the one flaw is Mike's singing. Absolutely horrible, could have been a lot better. Someone else should have sang that, maybe Carl or Al or even Bruce!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:41 PM »

Apart from "Kiss Me Baby" which I think is one of Mike's all time best, I have to mention "That's Not Me" as a standout lead vocal. He does a really cool thing where he goes from the aggressive voice as the narrator to a sensitive voice when he sings a line like "What matters to me is what I could be to just one girl" and holds out the note on the word "girl". It's a terrific lead vocal, and it captures a range of emotions that a lot of people overlook in his style. It's how you deliver a classic vocal, essentially, and no amount of "coaching" as seen on shows like American Idol can teach a singer how to pull that off. And it sounded real rather than contrived or even put-on for effect.

That's Not Me, a terrific vocal on a melody that can be a real bitch to sing, and worth noting as a Mike highlight.

I'm right with you, Guitarfool. I think it's Mike best, as well. While you cited the end of the first verse, I always loved the second, "And every night as I lay there along I will dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam."

His bass was amazing, i.e. "All Dressed Up For School."

I know the board is pretty well split on this one, but I definitely prefer Mike on the "Wouldn't It Be Nice" bridge.

And one of the great things about Beach Boys records is when a member not signing lead will get a brief section of lead on a song. I always loved when Mike comes in with the "Found that it was in my head" part of "Breakaway."
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »

I thought Mike's lead vocals on TWGMTR were poor, probably a product of age.  He sounded gravelly.  I haven't been a fan of his sound as a lead vocalist for a long time because his voice changed.  His vocal on It's A Beautiful Day is of the type that I can't stand. 
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »

I don't know whether this fits better here or in the "Unpopular Beach Boys Opinions" thread, but I love the version of "Vega-Tables" where Mike and Brian share the lead vocal, and prefer it to Al's lead on the same song.  Whatever Mike's opinion of the material may have been, his vocal expresses of the whimsy of the song very effectively.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

I thought Mike's lead vocals on TWGMTR were poor, probably a product of age.  He sounded gravelly. 

He sounds amazing on the recent 'California Girls' spoof. Perhaps autotune/production was to blame for the gravelly sound on his TWGMTR leads.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »

This quote from Oldsurferdude is funny since both Mike and Frank Sinatra have won an ella award:

wanna stay on this board? It's easy-just don't say anything negative about the lovester. He is a wonderful man who has a great voice and and is a true artist. He will go down in history as one of the greatest entertainers of all time far surpassing Frank Sinatra in phrasing, voice and charisma. Really.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »

He is a wonderful man who has a great voice and and is a true artist. He will go down in history as one of the greatest entertainers of all time far surpassing Frank Sinatra in phrasing, voice and charisma. Really.

Nothing better than a lifetime ban to make the unenlighted see the light. May he spread the TRUTH all over youtube now.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »

Jacqui have a look at this thread! Cheesy.

I also think Mike was great at singing the 'signature' leads on the hits but especially love the 'Meant For You' and 'All I Wanna Do' softer vocals.  The bass vocals are also amazing and I still think it's Mike on 'Wipe Out'!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »

Listen to "Heroes and Villains" sometime and just pay attention to Mike's parts.  It's like an awesome song within another awesome song.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »

Mike's a great singer in my opinion.  For what he does, he's very good.  I like his swag on the early songs, like "409".  "Well... I saved my pennies, and I saved my dimes...." he sounds cool as sh*t, he sounds like he's James Dean on that song.

Then you flash forward to 2012, he's 71, and singing "Spring Vacation".  Same voice, sounds just as good 50 fucking years later.

Incredibly consistant. 

Like he's quick to point out Smiley his bass vocals are some of the most loved parts of the songs too.  Also liked mentioned in the original post, I love the songs where he dodges from lead to bass back and forth.  My favorite is probably "Little Deuce Coupe"Also I always thought he was really good on "Surfer Girl". 

It's really interesting how he did his job as well as Brian and Carl did their jobs, they had completely different voices but really added a lot to the songs in completely different ways. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »

I like Mike's lead vocal - and his "bow bow's - on "Getcha Back". I don't think David's lead vocal comes close to Mike's, and I was disappointed that Mike gave it up in concert. When "Getcha Back" first came out, especially on the radio, and still today actually, it has that Beach Boys' sound as much for Mike's familiar voice as Brian's falsetto. That was Brian wasn't it? Wink

It's my opinion that he sounds like that on Getcha Back because they wanted it to sound like that.  The production is really kind of snappy like everybody did in the 80's, and the song had that goofy video too, I think the whole idea behind the song was a guy who's kind of a nerd dreaming about this girl.  I think they intended Mike to sound kind of nerdy and geeky in the song, which he pulled off by singing it a bit nasally. 

I love the song, I think it's fantastic, I even like the video.  One of their best, and i'm not kidding. 

I'm 100% certain that's Brian singing the falsetto, too.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »

I think Mike sounds like his age caught up with him on Spring Vacation.  His vocals were indispensable to the Beach Boys in the glory years, but the last 20 years or so, when it comes to recorded music, I'd much rather have Al Jardine singing lead.   
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »

I pretty much like all of the Mike vocals i've heard, including the later You're Still A Mystery (near the end of the song). The only one I dislike is the overly nasal Getcha Back. and I was glad David Marks sang it in concert.

Agreed with Getcha Back. I love that song, it's their best single in the last 30 or so years, but the one flaw is Mike's singing. Absolutely horrible, could have been a lot better. Someone else should have sang that, maybe Carl or Al or even Bruce!

IIRC I read that Mike would have wanted a Dennis-like rough voice on it, which wasn't possible any more of course.

I love the version of "Vega-Tables" where Mike and Brian share the lead vocal, and prefer it to Al's lead on the same song.  Whatever Mike's opinion of the material may have been, his vocal expresses of the whimsy of the song very effectively.

I share this opinion. I like the lyrics better too.

I love the song, I think it's fantastic, I even like the video.  One of their best, and i'm not kidding. 

One of their best songs or one of their best videos?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »

Yeah, a good lead singer and a great ensemble one.

He's talked about his frustration in having Brian chose other lyricists , but I've never heard Mike discuss losing his main lead singer status with the Boys as the 60's went on. Must have been awkward trying to project frontman/alpha male attitude while you're pushed into a background role without an instrument to play, reduced to clapping your hands a banging a tambourine, singing backup to the bass player or the lead guitarist -- who just happened to be 2 of the greatest singers of the rock era.

How can you be "lead singer" of a group that has Carl and Brian Wilson in it?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:26:40 PM by zatch » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »

One of their best songs or one of their best videos?

Both! Definately one of the Beach Boy's best songs.  They didn't have many videos so of course it's one of the best videos. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:47 AM »

I like Mike's lead vocal - and his "bow bow's - on "Getcha Back". I don't think David's lead vocal comes close to Mike's, and I was disappointed that Mike gave it up in concert. When "Getcha Back" first came out, especially on the radio, and still today actually, it has that Beach Boys' sound as much for Mike's familiar voice as Brian's falsetto. That was Brian wasn't it? Wink

It's my opinion that he sounds like that on Getcha Back because they wanted it to sound like that.  The production is really kind of snappy like everybody did in the 80's, and the song had that goofy video too, I think the whole idea behind the song was a guy who's kind of a nerd dreaming about this girl.  I think they intended Mike to sound kind of nerdy and geeky in the song, which he pulled off by singing it a bit nasally. 

I'm 100% certain that's Brian singing the falsetto, too.

With you and Sherrif on this one. I love the song, and I really wish Mike would've kept singing it through the tour instead of giving it to Dave, who didn't really do a good job at all. Mike's original vocal was perfect for the song. Dave's great and all, but he should have just stuck to the Dennis songs, which I think he is much better suited to.

Agreed. It's really odd, seeing how I've always liked Mike's vocal on "Getcha Back" (and so have most people, I think?), and likewise for Brian's vocal on "Let Him Run Wild" (I dig it, as do most fans), yet those two guys, seemingly inexplicably, decided to get all self-conscious about their own lead vocals on tracks which sounded good to begin with. 

There are other lesser quality (and more annoying) Mike lead vocals ("It's OK", anyone?) that would make more sense for him to feel self-conscious about, IMO.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:29 AM »

He is a wonderful man who has a great voice and and is a true artist. He will go down in history as one of the greatest entertainers of all time far surpassing Frank Sinatra in phrasing, voice and charisma. Really.

Nothing better than a lifetime ban to make the unenlighted see the light. May he spread the TRUTH all over youtube now.  Smiley

I've got the feeling that if OSD did say that, he was either being sarcastic or making a joke. Still often see recent Myke Luhv comments by him on various BB's videos on YouTube, so...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »

Bruce emailed me yesterday concerning this thread, and gave me the OK to post his message here:

"I was curious to see if the Smile Board had anyone posting about Mike Love and his upcoming Ella Awards event and I was happily surprised that for the most part, the comments stayed extremely positive about Mike's singing ability on many of the treasured Beach Boys recordings.

Bruce"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 01:51:38 PM »

IIRC I read that Mike would have wanted a Dennis-like rough voice on it, which wasn't possible any more of course.

Springsteen-ish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQSn26zCXYQ) then?

Bruce actually had to speed up his vocals to get a poppier sound for Hungry Heart. I've never had a problem with Mike's vocals on Getcha Back, but perhaps The Beach Boys should have done the same.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »

Bruce emailed me yesterday concerning this thread, and gave me the OK to post his message here:

"I was curious to see if the Smile Board had anyone posting about Mike Love and his upcoming Ella Awards event and I was happily surprised that for the most part, the comments stayed extremely positive about Mike's singing ability on many of the treasured Beach Boys recordings.

Bruce"

That's nice.

Bruce should know only very few people on here dislike Mike. The rest of us love and thank him for all the wonderful music he has given us.

I really hope Mike felt that love during the 50th anniversary tour,

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »

Bruce"

That's nice.

Bruce should know only very few people on here dislike Mike. The rest of us love and thank him for all the wonderful music he has given us.

I really hope Mike felt that love during the 50th anniversary tour,

I think the majority of the Myke-Bashers have either been banned or choose not to join up here.
In all honesty, Mike's my least favourite BB and his personality and all the stuff he's done in the past gives people a good reason to dislike him.
But I do agree that some of the Myke-Bashers go way too far, and that includes OSD.
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

He was good at what he did, which was share melody with Brian and do great bass harmonies for all the beach boys.  It worked, nobody can deny that.

I liken him to David Lee Roth.  Neither was considered a great singer, but their style defined the music.   

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

Congrats to Mike.
He's simply one of the best. Well, to me at least.
The classic BB songs just couldn't work without him.

I was just listening to Mike's parts on Summer's Gone.
He does a magnificent job. Really emotional singing.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 03:06:31 AM »

Surfin' USA, Fun, Fun, Fun, and I Get Around would suck with Frank Sinatra on lead! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx