-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  "Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in Manhattan"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in Manhattan"  (Read 13799 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878

"Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said. The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is working to determine the exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan."

One of my favorite actors. Scent Of A Woman, Big Lebowski, Capote. He will be very missed.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »

This is the most surprising sad news I've had in a long time--worse even than Lou Reed for me, in that I knew he was ill. Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of two actors (along with John C Reilly) I make a point of seeing. His work with PT Anderson ranks among my favorite body of work by any actor, ever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »

NY Times says heroin overdose.

Investigators found a syringe in his arm and an envelope containing what is believed to be heroin, the official said.

“It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose,” the official said. “The syringe was in his arm.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?hp

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »

Wonder if this has to do with the surge in heroin overdoses across the nation in that last few weeks (apparently due to a bad mixture). Either way, such a shame. He'll go down as one of the greats, that's for sure.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

Oh, jeez. This is certainly a surprise.

Sad to hear this.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »

RIP to a Hollywood great.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »

Gutted. Horrible news.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »

I'm not too familiar with his work as I've only seen him in Boogie Nights, Charlie Wilson's War, and the brilliant The Boat That Rocked.

Still, it comes as a major shock.

R.I.P. The Count  Cry
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:11:12 PM by The Fading Rock Group Revival » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »

One of the greatest actors of our time, that's for sure.  Gone way too soon but left behind some incredible performances.  To start, you should all do yourselves a favor and check out Capote, Synecdoche, New York, and The Master if you never have and witness the talent this guy had.

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »

This is very shocking and tragic news. RIP Hoffman.  Embarrassed
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »

What a sad affair. One of my favorite actors.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:29:12 AM »

This stinks.  Fcking Heroin?  Ugh.

Anyway, he was certainly a fantastic actor -- just really starting to become a headlining legend.  I was really impressed with how he so seemingly became his character.  Take Big Lebowski.  A seemingly forgettable character -- an unlikable little, ass-kisser -- and he did it so well, you think he's just playing himself.  Because he played him so well, you easily overlook it as just some character actor who just always plays that role.  But that wasn't the case.  He just did it so damn well that you don't notice any acting.  Very few artists are that good.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »

Just a few ramblings. I had just seen Capote for the first time a few weeks ago, and was amazed. Well deserved Oscar...that was one of the greatest roles I have seen an actor play in recent years, it's more like a transformation than a role. Stunning. Essential viewing.

At what point does the appeal and glamour of heroin start to fade in light of this and the scores of other tragic deaths and overdoses that have taken some of the all-time great talents?

And as much as I'm favoring some forms of drug legalization proposals, heroin should NOT...should fucking NOT EVER...be a part of that. It's a fucking insidious scourge that continues to kill and harm, and if anyone can point to a success story related to shooting smack, let me know because it doesn't exist. Sure, it pulses through the veins and in that momentary glow can lead to some inspired art and music and all of that, but the ultimate effects are nothing but bad. Hey, we got Bird Parker reinventing jazz, we got Billie Holiday, we got Janis, we got "Sticky Fingers", we got any number of classic albums and performances and all of that...and look where it led. We got Belushi in a grave, Bird in a grave, Billie in a grave, Janis, River, now Philip will join them.

John Frusciante - a brilliant creative musician, off-the-wall, dancing to his own beat, but capable of sublime and moving music - look at what happened to him. From successful albums and creativity and praise from his peers and fans to an interview after he had left the RHCP the first time where he was so strung out and so incoherent he could barely speak let alone move. He was so strung out there was a story about his apartment catching fire and him not even being aware of it until people stepped in.

And he was there and part of the circle when the early 90's chapter of the Young Hollywood heroin overdose tragedy took place when River Phoenix collapsed in the street outside the Viper Room after an OD. He and River went on a binge, coke, heroin, all of that glamorous stuff for days before they showed up at the club for a band performance including River, Flea, and other notables, hosted by Johnny Depp...and River according to a new account from this fall actually tapped a friend on the shoulder in the club, after coke had been passed around, and said to him *I think I'm OD'ing* before leaving the club and collapsing outside in the street. Flea rode in the ambulance with him to the hospital. Too late.

Glamorous stuff, right? Hollywood partying and rock and roll at the Viper Room. It's amazing John Frusciante survived and is still alive.

His teeth rotted out from the drug use and he needed a mouth full of implants and surgical repair, he needed plastic surgery and skin grafts on his arms to repair the needle damage which had destroyed his skin, and various other treatments to help repair the damage he did to himself. He cleaned up, rededicated himself to making music, and lived to tell about it. And for people who like his music, he's still making music in 2014.

Philip was found with a needle in his arm and all that's left is a stack of DVD's we can watch and witness his art, and talent.

Heroin in 2014? It's a waste.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:21:24 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »

It hasn't been linked to Philip yet, but just in the western areas of Pennsylvania there have been 22 reported deaths in the past two weeks due to batches of heroin that have been spiked and blended with fentanyl. It's not a bad mixture, it's a deliberate blend designed to give a knockout punch of a fix. 22 deaths, and those are only in one region of one state, and only those which have been reported so far. Do the math, that's more than one death every day in just two weeks due to this stuff.

Maybe Philip's death isn't connected, but I don't think it would be a surprise if it is eventually reported to have been a similar batch of the heroin/fentanyl blend.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »

"I think I would have drank myself to death, literally, if I didn't just stop, once and for all when I did."

"I am not ever going to preach to anyone about drugs or drinking. But, for me, when they were around, I had no self control."

Quotes from Hoffman himself.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »

"I think I would have drank myself to death, literally, if I didn't just stop, once and for all when I did."

"I am not ever going to preach to anyone about drugs or drinking. But, for me, when they were around, I had no self control."

Quotes from Hoffman himself.
Those might be quotes from Hoffman... I think GF2002 is on to something, with his analysis of clusters of OD's.  And there are so many factors here not even being discussed.  First, the oxycontin that was sort of a " defective product" which became approved because of Big Pharma's long and powerful reach. It was designed to ease cancer and other severe pain, but part of the manufacturing process is supposed to "build in" the potential for abuse.  The drug was known to cause a heroin high when chewed or snorted, and the time-release element was interrupted by the "crushing" factor.  And the drug was released and pushed into the distribution chain, via aggressive drug reps, keeping tabs on docs, with "report cards" for numbers of prescriptions written.  Some docs got nice vacations for filling up those prescription pads. And, left catastrophe in their wake.

Kentucky got some treatment in one of the earlier cases about 10 years ago. 

Second, the industry that has caused the addiction has not stepped up to do the rehab.  They've left it to taxpayers.  Only a few courageous states have forced the industry with lawsuits, to pay for their misdeeds.  I'm not condemning Hoffman. 

Last night I caught fantastic CNN's British Invasion, which featured our Boys, among the stars and drivers of the music revolution of the 60's. Following the airing, there was a special segment on Philip, and there was a woman interviewed, (recovering alcoholic) who talked about Hoffman's relapse post 23 years of sobriety.  It seemed to follow a "prescription" for an injury.  It seemed he suffered.  And, he had been in a short treatment last May.  This woman said the shortness of treatment was not enough, in her opinion.

Many(I mean many!)! of my former preschool students are dead from OD.  Most came from loving families, and got caught in a vortex of trouble that they couldn't control.  I don't have an answer, but a lot of questions about how the medical industry gets a pass, when they are often the problem, but not the solution, and "duck," when the hard questions such as the origins of addiction might be attributed to them. 

A tragedy all around...
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »

I think heroin (and any substance abuse) is immoral -- if it robs someone of their passions, destiny and life -- it's evil.  Period.  Once it starts doing that -- it's evil.  And that's all that it is.

Think about it.  Sex, food and all sorts of vices do the same when abused and used to fill voids in people's lives.  And it's immoral if that's what someone is using it for.  And they must realize that, if that's the case.  And change it.  Address the void with passion and curiosity, and with a sense of adventure.  That's the journey. That's the novel.  They'll never get to the next chapter if they don't.

We're all flawed human-creatures and we lean on things from time to time.  So, I'm not talking about that.  I'm not talking about coffee in the morning and a few beers to relax in the evening.  Or a big mac when you're lazy -- or splurging on a new guitar when you're in a "to hell with this day" mood.  I'm talking about the lie that evil tells us, and the big truth it's hiding.  Heroin is far too powerful and too addictive and seductive that it does those horrible things in spades.

But the libertarian in me, doesn't believe in making things illegal.  Because people still use them.  Rightly or wrongly.  Prohibition brought about a lot of deaths from bad booze.  And this is likely the case with a lot of "illegal" drugs today.  Would you buy aspirin from some weirdo on a street corner who constantly scratches his nutz?  I suspect you wouldn't -- because that gentlemen is likely not a responsible pharmacist, who's concerned with making quality aspirin.  But that's what would happen if one needed aspirin and it were made illegal.

People are going to do these things -- and not only do they get "bad batches" but they employ a bunch of irresponsible "pharmacists" who scratch their balls.  Just like how the Volstead Act did nothing but employ gangsters.  Or banning guns disarms the lawful and arms the lawless.  There are studies and examples where legalizing reduces abuse.  Shocking, I know -- but the only people who are not smoking pot are probably the people who should -- the lawful.

Tell your kids not too smoke -- and they will.  Guarantee it.  Doesn't mean you shouldn't tell them, of course.  But deny them -- and they'll likely smoke more.

Try it on yourself.  What's worse -- someone telling you, "you can never have another glass of beer as long as you live!"  Or, you, by chance, just never getting around to having one, cuz you forgot or something?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:02:46 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

Again I'll say I'm for legalizing certain substances *to a point*, but to put heroin on that list is just irresponsible (IMO) and ignores the instant addictive qualities of that drug and the way it reacts in someone's system. Crack is the same way, more or less, ask yourself if there is anybody who is a "casual user" of heroin or crack who just decides to shoot up or take a hit of crack on a Saturday night to unwind, and that's the extent of it?

This, to be honest, is where the libertarian movement loses me. We could drink a glass of wine with lunch and dinner, crack open beers after work every night, enjoy a smoke, hell, even take a few recreational bong hits or whatever...and you'd be hard pressed to compare any of those effects in any medical or theoretical way to someone shooting junk or smoking crack.

And prescription painkillers, as I said here about a year ago, would seem to be an example against across-the-board legalization because even as a fully legal yet tightly-controlled, regulated, and monitored prescription drug, look at the kind of havoc it has caused for people across social and economic lines. It's just a damn shame, really, but if the abuses exist to the degree which they do surrounding prescription painkillers like oxycodone/oxycontin and percosets and the other forms, what would happen with something as near-instantly addictive and potentially instantly deadly as heroin?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »

Again I'll say I'm for legalizing certain substances *to a point*, but to put heroin on that list is just irresponsible (IMO) and ignores the instant addictive qualities of that drug and the way it reacts in someone's system. Crack is the same way, more or less, ask yourself if there is anybody who is a "casual user" of heroin or crack who just decides to shoot up or take a hit of crack on a Saturday night to unwind, and that's the extent of it?

This, to be honest, is where the libertarian movement loses me. We could drink a glass of wine with lunch and dinner, crack open beers after work every night, enjoy a smoke, hell, even take a few recreational bong hits or whatever...and you'd be hard pressed to compare any of those effects in any medical or theoretical way to someone shooting junk or smoking crack.

And prescription painkillers, as I said here about a year ago, would seem to be an example against across-the-board legalization because even as a fully legal yet tightly-controlled, regulated, and monitored prescription drug, look at the kind of havoc it has caused for people across social and economic lines. It's just a damn shame, really, but if the abuses exist to the degree which they do surrounding prescription painkillers like oxycodone/oxycontin and percosets and the other forms, what would happen with something as near-instantly addictive and potentially instantly deadly as heroin?

Sure, but just think about all the tax money we could get for the sales. Not to mention the $$ folks could get for being smack salespeople withot having to worry about gettiing arrested...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 10:02:27 PM »

What a great actor. What a stupid way to go. The needle was still in his arm when he was found. What a stupid waste of a great talent. He was just starting to build a reputation of a future "Hollywood legend".

Funny that John Frusciante was mentioned. I have a strange love/hate relationship with his first two solo albums, Niandra Lades/Usually Just A T-shirt, and Smile From The Streets You Hold. They fascinate and intrigue me, yet scare the hell out of me at the same time. They're the audio equivalent of the proverbial car crash you can't look away from. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:07:02 PM »

Ah, yes.  The tax revenue.   LOL  Good point, bgas.  Perhaps even more evil than heroin -- government, and those who want it.

Government.  Robbing more souls than heroin could ever dream of.
Hillary:  Oooooooh!!!
Satan's Ass-Licker (Terry McAuliffe):  No, no he didn't go there...

Yes, Terrald -- I did go there.  I wouldn't consider you or your scarlet-clad dealer, "casual users of the Government,"  Would you?  No.  Nobody here is that ignorant.

Fun Fact:  the poster in back is after "women."

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »

Ah, yes.  The tax revenue.   LOL  Good point, bgas.  Perhaps even more evil than heroin -- government, and those who want it.

Government.  Robbing more souls than heroin could ever dream of.
Hillary:  Oooooooh!!!
Satan's Ass-Licker (Terry McAuliffe):  No, no he didn't go there...

Yes, Terrald -- I did go there.  I wouldn't consider you or your scarlet-clad dealer, "casual users of the Government,"  Would you?  No.  Nobody here is that ignorant.

Fun Fact:  the poster in back is after "women."

Wait, I thought the government RAN THE FREAKING ILLEGAL DRUG TRADE!!!!! ..... Or at least spent the laundered money....

Good points, Bean and Guitarfool..... I've seen heroin (in particular) rob too many friends of their lives and passions...... but I'm so split on this issue and can see all sides/points that I'd best not comment any further....
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »

Seems like this topic is really hot...

A while back, I saw a program on 60 Minutes about Dr. Nora Volkow.  Incredible background but more incredible work.  Head of the NIDA, the National Insititute of Drug Abuse.  She actually maintains a medicai practice, and puts the patients in a brain scanner which shows hot spots in the brain which have been drug damaged.  Not unlike an x-ray that shows a broken leg.  It takes all the moral and value judgments out of the equation.  She treats the brain as another injured body part,

Then she puts them in a running program and periodically rescans their brain, to show the incremental progress in treatment. 

The video should be online and it is so impressive, and well worth the watch.  CBS is the network.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »

A while back, I saw a program on 60 Minutes about Dr. Nora Volkow.  Incredible background but more incredible work.  Head of the NIDA, the National Insititute of Drug Abuse.  She actually maintains a medicai practice, and puts the patients in a brain scanner which shows hot spots in the brain which have been drug damaged.  Not unlike an x-ray that shows a broken leg.  It takes all the moral and value judgments out of the equation.  She treats the brain as another injured body part,

Then she puts them in a running program and periodically rescans their brain, to show the incremental progress in treatment.  

The video should be online and it is so impressive, and well worth the watch.  CBS is the network.
That sounds like a good idea.  The brain is just like any other tissue -- susceptible to damage, and can malfunction like everything else on earth.  And we desperately need to further our understanding of and treatment of the mind.

To be clear -- this is not at all, at odds with morality and the point I was making about behaviors (drug abuse in this case) becoming an "evil" if it ends up robbing people of their passions, destiny, and life.  If something supplants the journey and joys of our life -- with only its journey and its joy -- then, I think that is immoral and evil.  Not too mention, it has repercussions beyond the individual.  In this case, the world was robbed of anymore Phillip Seymour Hoffman performances.  His family and friends of his person.  And he of his life.

But repairing a damaged brain, that resulted from the evil, may only be medically based.  Just to be clear -- I wasn't sure what you meant with taking the "moral and value judgments out of the equation."  Because to me, good/evil, right/wrong is the denominator.  Or maybe the numerator.  Anyone here good with fractions?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:43:12 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »

A while back, I saw a program on 60 Minutes about Dr. Nora Volkow.  Incredible background but more incredible work.  Head of the NIDA, the National Insititute of Drug Abuse.  She actually maintains a medicai practice, and puts the patients in a brain scanner which shows hot spots in the brain which have been drug damaged.  Not unlike an x-ray that shows a broken leg.  It takes all the moral and value judgments out of the equation.  She treats the brain as another injured body part,

The video should be online and it is so impressive, and well worth the watch.  CBS is the network.
That sounds like a good idea.  The brain is just like any other tissue -- susceptible to damage, and can malfunction like everything else on earth.  And we desperately need to further our understanding of and treatment of the mind.

To be clear -- this is not at all, at odds with morality and the point I was making about behaviors (drug abuse in this case) becoming an "evil" if it ends up robbing people of their passions, destiny, and life.  If something supplants the journey and joys of our life -- with only its journey and its joy -- then, I think that is immoral and evil.  Not too mention, it has repercussions beyond the individual.  In this case, the world was robbed of anymore Phillip Seymour Hoffman performances.  His family and friends of his person.  And he of his life.

But repairing a damaged brain, that resulted from the evil, may only be medically based.  Just to be clear -- I wasn't sure what you meant with taking the "moral and value judgments out of the equation."  Because to me, good/evil, right/wrong is the denominator.  Or maybe the numerator.  Anyone here good with fractions?
Bean Bag - I have zero math skills!

The prefrontal cortex (I'm not a doc, but just from reading) is the problem.  Once it is damaged, whether from a mother getting opiates in labor (yes, they used to use them, or a workers' comp injury, say falling off a roof) and that part of the brain is impacted (just like a broken leg) it never forgets.  The "mind" might forget, but not the part of the brain.  It is like an old broken (healed) elbow or knee that can "tell you when it will rain."  It is healed, but the body part "remembers." Sort of like getting arthritis in a limb where you had a fracture...

Now, with advanced imaging, it can be ascertained how much damage there is. And, Dr. Volkow puts her patients in a running program because aerobic activity can build new "endorphins" which can be helpful.  It isn't mainstream yet, but seems to make the most sense to me.  And, at this point with 50% of the US jails with people who have drug related offenses, what do we have to lose? 

The video was amazing.  And, it makes sense.  Treat an injured brain, like an injured leg or arm.  And change the way we approach things.  Not much else seems to be working and we can't afford to lose people to this. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: