gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:19:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New demo: No Substitute  (Read 6326 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »

Hello, me again. This morning I wrote and recorded a scratch/demo version of a new song, "No Substitute." Uptempo, poppy but in my mind (eventually, when I finish it) reminiscent instrumentally of VU. Vocal harmonies and such, obviously, because that's what I like. http://www.sendspace.com/file/7lcmoa

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:27:49 AM »

Wow, jolly good! Add some tremolo/staccato effects, bass & drums - and it's a hit-no-miss. No, really, play along with ideas, make it rock & roll (coz, well, it has rock potential) & upload the finished result. Also, I totally get you re VU, the guitar is so Reedish, albeit with a little Joni Mitchell thrown in (Big Yellow Taxi, anyone?). Major thanks for the link!

Tiny note: for the nth time, I'll make the "At My Window" reference by telling you the song has perfect duration - 2:32, like my all-time BBs fave or ever. So another plus point.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »

Thanks, RangeRoverA1, I appreciate the nice words. And I agree about short tunes: as you may have noticed, my sweet spot is usually right in the 2:30 range ... maybe even shorter. I'm not one to beat a dead horse or ask too much of a listener.

What I'm imagining for eventual instrumentation is pounding drums (more toms than snares and cymbals), an agile bass line, two electric guitars, maybe slightly overdriven or maybe just LOUD, and an organ that sounds like it might bust any second. Then, atop that, the relatively sweet vocals that I theoretically will put down. Ideally they'd all be in tune when I get to that point, unlike the sloppy and out-of-tune sustained "nooooooo" of the "no substitute" part. And I'd try harder to cover my lisp.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »

Wonderful harmonies! Top notch lyrics, vocals, chords - great tune!

Can't wait to hear the final version.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »

Thanks rab2591, I appreciate that.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:13 AM »

Thanks, RangeRoverA1, I appreciate the nice words. And I agree about short tunes: as you may have noticed, my sweet spot is usually right in the 2:30 range ... maybe even shorter. I'm not one to beat a dead horse or ask too much of a listener.

What I'm imagining for eventual instrumentation is pounding drums (more toms than snares and cymbals), an agile bass line, two electric guitars, maybe slightly overdriven or maybe just LOUD, and an organ that sounds like it might bust any second. Then, atop that, the relatively sweet vocals that I theoretically will put down. Ideally they'd all be in tune when I get to that point, unlike the sloppy and out-of-tune sustained "nooooooo" of the "no substitute" part. And I'd try harder to cover my lisp.
Amazing you just whipped that out this morning Luther! Awesome! Like it a lot!
 The stuff I do comes forth at such a snail's pace.

Yes, can't wait to hear the finished version. Hearing this reminds me of Pete Townsend's Scooped demos. Simple joy.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:31:25 AM »

And I'd try harder to cover my lisp.
Till reading this comment, I'd no idea you had a lisp. Randomly chose one of your songs for checking ("Curses & Blessings") & there is indeed something odd about phrasing words. However, I don't consider it an imperfection, it's kind of cool, in fact. And isn't it good to have your own schtick, some individuality? I think positive.

Wow, I forgot about an organ (solo), that is one groovy instrument which I think would fit the song nicely. Wonder if you ever did the instrumentals consisting of only keyboard playing, as I recall that's your go-to favorite type of instruments. 

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:21:27 AM »

Amazing you just whipped that out this morning Luther! Awesome! Like it a lot!
 The stuff I do comes forth at such a snail's pace.

Yes, can't wait to hear the finished version. Hearing this reminds me of Pete Townsend's Scooped demos. Simple joy.

Thanks, OregonRiverRider. I think my songs come quickly because if they don't, they don't come at all. I have little discipline or patience, and nothing that requires me to. Since I haven't played out in years, there is nobody depending on me to generate new material. Since I don't try to make any kind of living (or even get any kind of popularity via social media or whatever), it just doesn't matter. So if I feel like it, great. If I get stuck or bored, oh well. Sometimes I come back to fragments or ideas that are 1, 5, 10, 15 years old. Sometimes I don't. But mostly in the past couple years, if I have it recorded, it's new and hasty. The downside is ideas aren't very carefully considered, arrangements are pretty much in-the-moment improvisations, engineering is sh*t, performances are flawed, and production/mixing is laughable. I always tell myself I'll go through the songs I like best and do them properly but I rarely do...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »

And I'd try harder to cover my lisp.
Till reading this comment, I'd no idea you had a lisp. Randomly chose one of your songs for checking ("Curses & Blessings") & there is indeed something odd about phrasing words. However, I don't consider it an imperfection, it's kind of cool, in fact. And isn't it good to have your own schtick, some individuality? I think positive.[/i]
Yep, lisp. I don't worry much about it--after all Freddie Mercury had one*, and besides, I'm too old to give a f*** what anyone thinks. Besides, none of these songs matter, they are for my enjoyment and I guess that of whoever wants to bother. If anyone doesn't like it, there is a lot of great music in the world with which they can spend their time. I understand that.

*Freddie's lisp was different than mine, though. His made an "s" sound more like an "sch." Mine makes an "s" more of a "th." I can do away with it most of the time if I really focus on it, but some word combinations or phrases are just really difficult.

Wow, I forgot about an organ (solo), that is one groovy instrument which I think would fit the song nicely. Wonder if you ever did the instrumentals consisting of only keyboard playing, as I recall that's your go-to favorite type of instruments. 

I think the only song I've ever done that was keyboard-only was "I Didn't Think So," which was piano and voices. A few others are close, like "Cognitive Dissonance," "Ikaria," and "Arjuna." But no, I usually supplement keyboards because I'm not a very good player. So in order to have a full sound, generally some bass or guitar/banjo/uke is needed.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »

I told you I could rock (in a power pop kind of way...). About 18 months after its scratch-demo debut, here's a more fully realized version of "No Substitute." Drums by Zach, I did the rest this morning and early afternoon. Nothing as intricate as I sometimes get into, just a couple guitars, a bass, drums, voices, and a bit of piano in one part. Oh, and an egg shaker. Obviously.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/no-substitute-1

Hope you enjoy the sound of Luther kind of trying to rock a little bit and stuff.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »

While there is a slight chance the world isn't waiting and doesn't care, I replaced the recording with a new version that includes a synth and some slight remixing.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/no-substitute_1

Hope it's pleasant.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 05:58:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:29:07 PM by zatch » Logged
Aaron Sunchymes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »

Sounds nice. Like the rythmn and the melody
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate that.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:41:26 PM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:57:46 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »

Hours and hours of soul-wrenching inner struggle. Direct revelations from gods and ancestors. The hope of pissing off anyone wasting time questioning motivations for why to post in one years-old thread over another years-old thread. Those sorts of reasons.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 10:56:41 PM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:57:18 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 06:08:40 AM »

Yes, in looking up that other years-old post, I saw and understood what you meant. However, it's entirely irrelevant to this thread (and life in general), and I wonder why you'd bother asking--especially in that I've noted before I find you an annoying troll. The answer to the question is, "who knows?" I hadn't thought about it. It's not important. You've given it more thought than me (by digging up the old post and thread and asking). I have no good answer because it's just not a relevant question to my life.

How's that for the honest answer? I found sarcasm more enjoyable the first time because, well, just because. I'm not sure why. Ask me again in a few years if I contradict myself. Or better, just don't.

And now I'll consider this line of the discussion closed so people can discuss--or ignore, if that be their preference--the actual music found here, there, and elsewhere instead.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:32:38 AM by the captain » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:56:37 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »

Ok but what exactly is annoying or troll-like in that post? It was simple question.

It was a simple question entirely unrelated to the purpose of this, or any other, thread. It's irrelevant to the point. I answered sarcastically. Then I answered clearly. I'm running out of answers. And what difference could it possibly make to you regardless of my answer? Please stop communicating with you. I've asked before. I'm asking again. I find you excruciatingly annoying. It doesn't matter why, frankly. I just do (much like it doesn't matter why I post in this or that thread). I can't stop you from posting in my threads or in response to my posts, obviously, but I really wish you would.

If anyone (else) wants to discuss the song in any way, I'm more than happy to do that. If not, I'm more than happy to let the thread die its natural death.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »

I have a question, Cap.

What is it that you usually do with your music? Do you just work on a song, post it here, and move onto the next one?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »

Yeah, that's more or less it. That and sharing with a handful of real-life friends. In my younger days I played out in bands, as well, but now I'm strictly a hobbyist.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx