gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680879 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:17:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wilson driven negativity"  (Read 21154 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »

I like Mike.  I like Brian.   But friends who know what a  BB fan I have been have emailed and asked whynMike broke up
the Beach Boys after their  successful reunion.    it's like even   casual followers seem to think Mike is the bad guy.

Articles appeared in magazines and online saying Mike fired Brian.    Who planted the anti mike seed with the media after the reunion tour?

The internet media crowd jumped all over the 'it feels I've been fired from my own band' comment from Brian. Brian is a master at playing the victim card.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

A standard of excellence.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:17:32 AM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »

Well, you can bet your sweet bippy that the ones I added to the list also fit that bill. Where's McCartney? He should be next. And Bono. And Jon Bon Jovi.  They've unarguably given everything but their left nuts to charity for the community and World well-being.

Hey, Mikie, there's still time. Mike Love doesn't get the Ella Award until February 20, 2014. Maybe if we all write to the Society Of Singers, and tell them that Mike Love was responsible for Brian Wilson scrapping SMiLE, that Mike Love publicly disapproves of Dennis Wilson's self-destructive behavior, and that Mike Love was solely responsible for ending the Beach Boys' 50 Anniversary - they'll rescind his award and give it to....Bono!

Nah, it's too late.  He's already been considered and approved of.  And since Smile has finally been 'released', that point is mute now.

Hey, I'm a humanitarian too, ya know. I give to charity as a tax WRITE OFF.  Anybody else here do that?  I know Mike Love does.....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:12:43 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »

Notice she said "Wilson-driven negativity", not specifically "Brian Wilson-driven negativity."

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

Well, you can bet your sweet bippy that the ones I added to the list also fit that bill. Where's McCartney? He should be next. And Bono. And Jon Bon Jovi.  They've unarguably given everything but their left nuts to charity for the community and World well-being.

Hey, Mikie, there's still time. Mike Love doesn't get the Ella Award until February 20, 2014. Maybe if we all write to the Society Of Singers, and tell them that Mike Love was responsible for Brian Wilson scrapping SMiLE, that Mike Love publicly disapproves of Dennis Wilson's self-destructive behavior, and that Mike Love was solely responsible for ending the Beach Boys' 50 Anniversary - they'll rescind his award and give it to....Bono!

Nah, it's too late.  He's already been considered and approved of.  And since Smile has finally been 'released', that point is mute now.

Hey, I'm a humanitarian too, ya know. I give to charity as a tax WRITE OFF.  Anybody else here do that?  I know Mike Love does.....

I'm sure you and many others are equally deserving. Your turns will come. Eventually.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

And since Smile has finally been 'released', that point is mute now.

Would that some posters were too...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »

Media shitstorm during the silly season, and possibly some adept media manipulation. It'll be most amusing, and instructive, when the true story of the ending of the C50 tour (why, when and by whom) emerges. And it will: these are The Beach Boys, remember. Might take a few years, maybe a decade or two, but what actually happened will become public knowledge. It always does.

Why not tell us the reason now, as you know it.

Guess I'm just one big f*ck*ing tease, huh ?  Wink

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

LOL
Out of everyone in the world, why did it have to be Mike Love?
Its not like he is known to be a great singer.
If they wanted to give it to a Beach Boy, (and although he's dead) they should have gave it to Carl.
Nicko1234
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »

Out of everyone in the world, why did it have to be Mike Love?
Its not like he is known to be a great singer.
If they wanted to give it to a Beach Boy, (and although he's dead) they should have gave it to Carl.

Would have been a short show though...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »

I think any award for singing that gave one to Herb Alpert can justify giving one to Mike Love. Did Herb even sing very much? He was a trumpeter, not a singer. His one big singing hit, "This Guy's In Love With You," was not a very good performance.

I wouldn't put someone down for giving to charity because "it's a tax write-off." It's still money out of their pocket. If they have a 50% tax bracket and give $20,000, that's $10,000 they could have kept for themselves. There are also more creative ways to dodge taxes than giving to charity that don't involve so much out of pocket. That said, though, there are plenty of singers who give to charity. Why Mike? The foundation may prefer to give the award to singers who actually show up. After all, the award ceremony is itself a way to raise money for the Ella Foundation. What good would it be giving it to Bono or McCartney if they don't show up (they wouldn't) and there's not much of an awards ceremony to attract ticket buyers?

I also think Mike's involvement in Transcendental Meditation and TM charities worked in his favor. A lot of people in the entertainment business are into TM. It's become fashionable again. Mike being at TM events with the David Lynch Foundation and other Hollywood TM people helped his image in the community.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »

I have never heard of Mike being rude to any fans (and he wasn't to me) so maybe that should count for something.  I also recently received the Billy Hinche "24" Hours DVD and he seems to like him.  Also Ed Roach seems to (his wife Annie also congratulated Mike on his Facebook page), and I think if he had been such a nasty piece of work to Dennis and Brian and everyone else they or the Wilson family would not have anything to do with him, which is not the case.  I don't happen to agree with his vision of what the Beach Boys were or should be but I also don't think it should make him a hate figure with people who don't even know him.

You know, Mike & I started out friends through Dennis, however, in the brief time in between meeting & my move west, their relationship became contentious - and I won't get into the reasons why, they are laid out in various books - look at the '68/'69 period.  Still, there existed a warmth between us for several years, and we were thrown together quite a bit between the road & my ex wife running Brother Studio.  However, when Dennis began his serious decent, I got labeled with a guilt by association, and not always unfairly.  Hell, if I couldn't have partied with the best of them, Dennis & I never would have been so close.  Still, Mike was among those that never could have comprehended the pain I went through, trying to save Dennis from himself.

As they say, time heals all wounds, and when I saw Mike backstage at the 50 show at The Hollywood Bowl, we had an interesting exchange.  I then spent over half an hour talking with Stan Love for the first time in years, & we covered quite a bit of our history together.  When Howie ran into Stan at the concert the next night, Stan had the greatest things to say to Howie about me!  I also had  run into Mike at LAX a few years back, and he took the time to introduce Jackie & I and ask how my life was going, so I'd say I think we all realize how lucky we are to be blessed with long, healthy lives, and maybe it's time to move on.

Now Mike posts a photo of mine on his website; maybe it's a new day!  https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68

Thanks for that reply Ed.  I kinda thought at some point things might have gotten a bit difficult  between you guys but it's good that things have been sorted out.  And yes, I like the picture of yours Mike posted on his Facebook.  I always thought it summed up some of his relationship with Dennis.  Mike looked as though he wasn't sure what to make of Dennis but at the same time they had some good memories together.  They seemed to have that classic love/hate thing going on even right to the end.  I think Dennis probably knew the right buttons to press when it came to winding up his big cousin!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »

Gave me a much needed chuckle LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »

The only issue with your list is many are dead. If you check the past winners, of those who have passed on, all were alive the year that they were chosen. But, you are correct, you would think guys like McCartney would be chosen ahead of Mike.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »

Get some Canadians in there. Michael Buble, K.D. Lang, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »

In all fairness to Mike, I think he and Bruce have done some work to raise money for elementary schools. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »

Isn't it incredible though that Mike Love has said some stupid things but has also shown to be a nice guy and a devoted family man but in the end will be remembered as that one asshole from the Beach Boys.  Meanwhile, Woody Allen whose daughter has confirmed sexually abused her when she was seven years old will be remembered as a legend?  It's pretty ridiculous (and I say this as a Woody Allen fan as well).

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »

Fairly amazing how silent the Hollywood crowd is about Woody Allen, but they're generally quick to condemn others.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

I like Mike.  I like Brian.   But friends who know what a  BB fan I have been have emailed and asked whynMike broke up
the Beach Boys after their  successful reunion.    it's like even   casual followers seem to think Mike is the bad guy.

Articles appeared in magazines and online saying Mike fired Brian.    Who planted the anti mike seed with the media after the reunion tour?

The internet media crowd jumped all over the 'it feels I've been fired from my own band' comment from Brian. Brian is a master at playing the victim card.

As I recall, it was Mike's own poorly crafted and tersely worded press release prior to the end of the tour that started all of the media second guessing. That was followed by some sort of attempt at a Facebook campaign by Al, THEN Brian's "I felt like I was fired" statement. As I said, a little PR finesse would go a long way.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

Fairly amazing how silent the Hollywood crowd is about Woody Allen, but they're generally quick to condemn others.

When the original allegation was made social services and the police thoroughly investigated the sexual molestatation charge and found no evidence of any wrongdoing.  This was in the midst of bitter divorce proceedings with Mia after woody hooked up with his stepdaughter.  Was this part of Mia's revenge to encourage her daughter to say these things, to the point where she believed it?  No one knows but there's still a presumption of innocence particularly after an investigation essentially cleared Woody.  So Hollywood stars should not work with woody or give him awards for work he has done because of allegations 15 years ago that he was cleared of?  That's political correctness gone mad IMO. 

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »

As I recall, it was Mike's own poorly crafted and tersely worded press release prior to the end of the tour that started all of the media second guessing.

Is that the one Brian requested Mike release?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »

As I recall, it was Mike's own poorly crafted and tersely worded press release prior to the end of the tour that started all of the media second guessing.

Is that the one Brian requested Mike release?

Sure. Don't remember hearing that he dictated the poorly worded release that made it SOUND like Mike was pulling the plug.  PR, people! PR!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »

This whole ELLA award thing - I'm wondering if the Mike bashers know/remember/care that it's first and foremost a charity event ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »

I also think Mike's involvement in Transcendental Meditation and TM charities worked in his favor. A lot of people in the entertainment business are into TM. It's become fashionable again. Mike being at TM events with the David Lynch Foundation and other Hollywood TM people helped his image in the community.

Yup, back in 1968, when TM and Maharishi were abandoned by The Beatles and became hopelessly passe, Mike had the foresight to realise that in twenty, thirty, forty years or so it would become hip again and boost his career. Damn, that dude is just soooooooooooo calculating.  Grin

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »

"When the original allegation was made social services and the police thoroughly investigated the sexual molestatation charge and found no evidence of any wrongdoing.  This was in the midst of bitter divorce proceedings with Mia after woody hooked up with his stepdaughter.  Was this part of Mia's revenge to encourage her daughter to say these things, to the point where she believed it?  No one knows but there's still a presumption of innocence particularly after an investigation essentially cleared Woody.  So Hollywood stars should not work with woody or give him awards for work he has done because of allegations 15 years ago that he was cleared of?  That's political correctness gone mad IMO."  

The District Attorney was going to file charges against Woody Allen, and said publicly that he felt that Mr. Allen was guilty.  The D.A. would be privy to all the investigative materials, including the work of the police.  Due to the young age of the victim and the damage a trial might cause her, the case was not prosecuted.  

Is it possible the molestation allegation was made up as part of the revenge that Mia Farrow sought for Woody dating Soon Yi, maybe.  The whole thing is messy and uncomfortable.  I just find it odd that Hollywood celebrities are quick to condemn many on flimsier evidence but treat Woody with reverence.  Meryl Streep, within the last month, read from a letter from 1938 regarding Walt Disney at an awards ceremony trashing the late Studio head, but is silent as to Woody Allen.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »

Yup, back in 1968, when TM and Maharishi were abandoned by The Beatles and became hopelessly passe, Mike had the foresight to realise that in twenty, thirty, forty years or so it would become hip again and boost his career. Damn, that dude is just soooooooooooo calculating.  Grin
I don't think it's calculating at all. I just think it may have brought Mike to the attention of people in LA more than his work raising funds for Lake Tahoe schools, for instance. The fact he's been in TM for decades and never wavered counts in his favor.  There were many years when being a TM follower would make a person a laughingstock. Now, it's considered a good thing by not only show biz, but schools and the US military.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx