gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:48:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wilson driven negativity"  (Read 21156 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »

Mike's wife Jacquelyne is posting some stuff on Facebook right now, using Mike's FB account; the phrase "Wilson-driven negativity" could be a huge clue to the disharmony that's preventing the real Beach Boys working together…

(Mods: if you judge this is intrusive please delete but as it's being out out on a public forum and dissemination could be in the fans' interest, I hope this is okay)…

"Patricia,
Again, Mike and i are so grateful for your support, we are in transit to new York for Howard stern's birthday party..... we just tuned into The Beach Boys facebook page, we need you and whom ever else you think will go onto the page and post positive comments about Mike.  talk about their favorite songs Mike either sings or has written.....this Wilson driven negativity has to stop.... Please contact as many as you can to go onto The Beach boys FB and like the post and be positive.... if we band together darkness turns to light.
All our Love,
Jacquelyne"

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »

I don't do facebook but what are 'the Wilsons' saying on the Beach Boys page?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »

What recent statement/event from the Wilson side of the world prompted this statement from Mike's wife? Something musta sparked it or was it an accumulation of things from the past?

Is "Patricia" Patricia Ferrelli?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »

Yes Mikie, that's the one.

Seems to be triggered by abusive posts from fans on a story about Mike getting the Ella award.

I'm wondering if the phrase "Wilson driven negativity" might be poorly chosen and referring more to negativity from fans driven by some urge to give all the credit cor the BBs' success to BW while demeaning Mike's massive contribution … she's also posted this, in response to a supportive message:

"...It's very hurtful to Mike who tries to take the high road, but I won' tolerate the assassination of my husband, the father of my children and my best friend anymore.  he has worked tirelessly to keep this music alive, he has live through drug abuse, Manson madness,death threats, the death of his family members and so much more but he still wears a sense of positivity....he amazes me
Thank you for your kind support and love of the music."

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »

The assumption that the abusive posts are from Brian fans is an easy one to leap to. Sadly, in the vast majority of cases, it's also the correct one.

BTW, and FWIW - probably IMHYEO too - "Wilson-driven negativity" could refer to the current version of the Brianistas foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of Mike's name.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:35:25 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »

You go to any page about The Beach Boys, you're going to see anti-Mike comments.

I feel like anyone who actually knows about the BBs won't do the whole "Mike is an asshole" thing. Not liking him is understandable, but its only justified if you are informed.

It should all pass eventually. The constant flaming died down quite a bit until the 50th anniversary ended, right? From that point on he was the bad guy again. Must be really unpleasant for his family.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »

I am a Brian fan but will never understand the fun in hating Mike Love. I wonder if Mike's wife thinks Brian was somehow fueling this hate? And if so, is there some truth in it?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:03 AM »

I don't mind a reasoned argument, or even a reasoned rant, but posting (in essence) "Mike Love is an asshole because he's Mike Love and not Brian Wilson" is getting very tedious. But, given the apparent mental acuity of these posters, I'm not surprised. Mike's no saint: he's said and done stuff I'm sure he regrets, mostly in public it would seem, but know what ? So have the rest of the band.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:46:05 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:14:05 AM »

If you check out some of the comments sections on internet threads where Ambha Love has posted about her dad, there are some absolutely disgusting and just plain wrong sentiments raised by certain types of Beach Boys fans.

For Mike (and his family) to stay as levelheaded about this kind of abuse is damn saintly if you ask me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:26:56 AM »

Gotta say I was very impressed by Jacqueline's jumping to her husband's defence so solidly. It's a side of Beachworld we rarely get to see…

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:35 AM »

If you check out some of the comments sections on internet threads where Ambha Love has posted about her dad, there are some absolutely disgusting and just plain wrong sentiments raised by certain types of Beach Boys fans.

For Mike (and his family) to stay as levelheaded about this kind of abuse is damn saintly if you ask me.

They're not fans. New-school Brianistas more like. I'm a card-carrying Brianista of the old school, class of 1978, and they make me cringe. That thread that asked if you were ever embarrassed to be a BB fan ? This is one such time.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 02:45:10 AM »

I don't do facebook but what are 'the Wilsons' saying on the Beach Boys page?

AGD's right, it's Wilsonistas, not Wilsons that are saying what's being said.

Hoping that "Wilson driven negativity" might get a better definition at some stage as it is very ambiguous as it stands.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:20 AM »

AGD's right...

Well of course I am.  Old Man

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:39:53 AM »

Hoping that "Wilson driven negativity" might get a better definition at some stage as it is very ambiguous as it stands.

It's exact meaning may never be clarified but for what it's worth I can hear Mike singing the phrase repeatedly in his 'Shut Down' voice.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 06:33:35 AM »

I for one think conflating "anti-Mike" with "Wilson" or "Brianista" or "pro-Brian" is a dangerous leap, and those making it are, in my mind, showing their own bias.

If one feels that Mike Love is being unfairly maligned in any way, how difficult is it to call that behavior out by characterizing it correctly as unfair towards Mike Love. Why would they need to charcterize it as "Wilson driven?" First of all, that implies it is driven by the actual "Wilsons" rather than "Wilson fans", and if it is actually meant only to refer to "Wilson fans", then it paints such a broad stroke about Wilson fans that there's no way to tell which "Wilson fans" they are talking about. Pretty much any Mike fan or BB fan is probably usually a Wilson fan too, right?

The wingnuts saying the truly nasty things online about Mike Love are doing so because they are unfairly (if we're talking about those going past fair criticism) biased against Mike Love, or simply because they are nuts. They clearly have more going on than simply being devout Wilson fans, because most devout Wilson fans are not perpetrating whatever it is that has elicited this recent response.

This facebook crap on the one hand clearly shows they are frustrated with the anti-Mike comments and sentiment. That's fair enough (I haven't seen what they're specifically referring to, so I don't know whether these supposed anti-Mike comments are fair criticism or not). But immediately dialing in on "Wilson driven" tells me they are overly-sensitive specifically about Brian Wilson getting all of the accolades. After all this time, it really is still an ego thing relating to Brian. To me, that's extremely telling of what's still going on after 53 freaking years.

To me, there's still no true objective self-awareness in that Mike Love camp. There's no perspective. Like with the reunion tour mess, not once did Love seem to step back and comment objectively that he clearly looked like a d**k even if he wasn't actually being one neccesarily. The guy refuses to acknowledge why people don't like him, and why he has the awful reputation he has. I think I've occasionally seen him acknowledge that his sarcastic sense of humor doesn't translate.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for his or his camp's jumping to his defense if some humility was involved more often. I don't mean just saying Mike is humble, but actually admitting mistakes or trying to understand why people may not like some of the things he does. If just once in awhile he would say "yeah, I can see why people might be pissed off that I continue to use the Beach Boys name to tour" or "yeah, I can understand some people might be frustrated that "Kokomo" appeals to me more than "Smile", and so on.

Does Brian or Al or anybody offer these sorts of humble moments? I don't know, but they aren't attacked in the same fashion and don't have anywhere near the level or criticism lobbed at them. Maybe that's one of those things that is telling in and of itself.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 07:05:32 AM »

WHAT??? For her to say "Wilson-driven" is just wrong.  Angry

Terribily unimpressed, babe.

The truth is Michael and his antics over the years paved the way for the ridicule he receives.
Yes, I know some of it is overly-harsh and over-the-top

Using the name "Wilson" for your stalking horse is also over the top. good grief.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »

I do agree after all these years, Mike is jealous of BW's legacy. I think part of the envy stems from Mike's legacy to the general public ranging from irrelevant to a jerk living off his cousin's music.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:12:52 AM »

I think she is talking about fans or haters, not the Wilsons specifically.  The phrasing is very poor though.

As a BB fan I am continually amazed and disgusted by the comments directed towards Mike on Youtube.  Virtually any song that Mike sings on you will find something nasty said about him.  I just don't get it.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »

I can understand being upset at your loved-one being attacked and the desire to want to kick the ass of whoever is doing the attacking. But is bringing in the Wilson-name really necessary?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 07:22:04 AM »

I think she is talking about fans or haters, not the Wilsons specifically.  The phrasing is very poor though.

As a BB fan I am continually amazed and disgusted by the comments directed towards Mike on Youtube.  Virtually any song that Mike sings on you will find something nasty said about him.  I just don't get it.

It's because they are losers with nothing better to do than try and annoy people without having to defend their inane comments and opinions. Like the clown that just posted before you....never adds anything of substance to any thread but always chimes in at every possible chance to rip on Mike.

When Brian started his solo touring in 98-99, and the shows opened with a short film, some people booed when Mike was on screen. Brian was not happy about it. If you have any respect for Brian you might remember that.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »

SNAFU

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »

SNAFU

Aint that the truth. *sigh & shrugs shoulders*

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »

It's because they are losers with nothing better to do than try and annoy people without having to defend their inane comments and opinions. Like the clown that just posted before you....never adds anything of substance to any thread but always chimes in at every possible chance to rip on Mike.

When Brian started his solo touring in 98-99, and the shows opened with a short film, some people booed when Mike was on screen. Brian was not happy about it. If you have any respect for Brian you might remember that.
Pardon me, I don't like a personal attack like that. I am way more knowledgeable in all things BBs to not like Mike Love than people on youtube. Can we agree he is a controversial figure and leave it at that. 

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 08:11:27 AM »

Pretty much any Mike fan or BB fan is probably usually a Wilson fan too, right?

Right. I think.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »

I don't think we should get into this again. Its been squeezed for all we can get out of it, and unless any new information comes out, it should be left that way.
As long as no one takes it persona.....
Like the clown that just posted before you....never adds anything of substance to any thread but always chimes in at every possible chance to rip on Mike.
ah. very cool man.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx