gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:01:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Saga Performing Again  (Read 6462 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »

Has California Saga performed since the reunion tour? They're going to be on hand to give an Ella Award to Mike Love next month. I find it weird that Mike is getting an award for his singing, considering past recipients have included people such as Tony Bennett and Smokey Robinson. Herb Alpert received the award, as well, and he's not that great of a singer.  In any case, this is the blurb for the award (hosted by John Stamos, naturally):

Among the sea of award shows and galas in these first months of 2014, the Society of Singers much beloved ELLA will, once again, be a most memorable evening as it has been since honoring Ella herself back in 1989.

Hosted by Actor/Singer/Musician John Stamos, the 21st ELLA will be presented to legendary singer, Mike Love, founding member of the Beach Boys. The 3rd VOICE Award will be presented to the dynamic Waters Family whose voices can be heard on hundreds of gold & platinum recordings for the last 50 years! And, the 1st ever, INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP AWARD, will be presented to Nigel Lythgoe, Executive Producer of American Idol & So You Think You Can Dance Executive Producer and Creator.

Paying tribute to this evenings honorees include performances by:  America, Darren Criss of Glee, Ariana Grande of Victorious, Micky Dolenz, Lucy Lawless of Xena, John Stamos, Rita Wilson, and CALIFORNIA SAGA — The Beach Boys Children: Wendy Wilson, Carney Wilson (both of Wilson Phillips), and the children of Carl, Brian, Dennis, and Mike!

I wonder how the evening will handle the post-reunion political situation? It might be interesting.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

Has California Saga performed since the reunion tour? They're going to be on hand to give an Ella Award to Mike Love next month. I find it weird that Mike is getting an award for his singing, considering past recipients have included people such as Tony Bennett and Smokey Robinson. Herb Alpert received the award, as well, and he's not that great of a singer.  In any case, this is the blurb for the award (hosted by John Stamos, naturally):

Among the sea of award shows and galas in these first months of 2014, the Society of Singers much beloved ELLA will, once again, be a most memorable evening as it has been since honoring Ella herself back in 1989.

Hosted by Actor/Singer/Musician John Stamos, the 21st ELLA will be presented to legendary singer, Mike Love, founding member of the Beach Boys. The 3rd VOICE Award will be presented to the dynamic Waters Family whose voices can be heard on hundreds of gold & platinum recordings for the last 50 years! And, the 1st ever, INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP AWARD, will be presented to Nigel Lythgoe, Executive Producer of American Idol & So You Think You Can Dance Executive Producer and Creator.

Paying tribute to this evenings honorees include performances by:  America, Darren Criss of Glee, Ariana Grande of Victorious, Micky Dolenz, Lucy Lawless of Xena, John Stamos, Rita Wilson, and CALIFORNIA SAGA — The Beach Boys Children: Wendy Wilson, Carney Wilson (both of Wilson Phillips), and the children of Carl, Brian, Dennis, and Mike!

I wonder how the evening will handle the post-reunion political situation? It might be interesting.

I'd love to see Cal Saga perform again, but tix are $250 minimum. Ouch.

http://www.singers.org/event/21st-ella-honoring-mike-love-co-founder-of-the-beach-boys/

On that website, it actually states "Live Performances by The Beach Boys". I'm assuming M&B.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:16:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »

Scott Totten posted on his personal FB today that he is the musical director for this event, which means it should be a great night!! Love what Scott's done since he became BB musical director

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

CALIFORNIA SAGA — The Beach Boys Children: Wendy Wilson, Carney Wilson (both of Wilson Phillips), and the children of Carl, Brian, Dennis, and Mike![/b]

Does this mean that Matt & Adam Jardine won't be there??  Undecided
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »

CALIFORNIA SAGA — The Beach Boys Children: Wendy Wilson, Carney Wilson (both of Wilson Phillips), and the children of Carl, Brian, Dennis, and Mike![/b]

Does this mean that Matt & Adam Jardine won't be there??  Undecided

They couldn't spell Carnie's name right, either, so perhaps they forgot about Al Jardine and his sons.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »

Matt's in so many bands, he could have a gig already booked elsewhere.

Edit: I mean in the sense of a prior commitment, not as a snub, folks. I suspect the people who put the Ella Award pr together just made an error re the Jardine brothers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:11:49 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »

Shocked
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »

Matt's in so many bands, he could have a gig already booked elsewhere.

Edit: I mean in the sense of a prior commitment, not as a snub, folks. I suspect the people who put the Ella Award pr together just made an error re the Jardine brothers.

Right, like the inclusion of Carney (sic), Wendy and... Brian's kids.  Yeah, I know he has other kids but not in the singing group.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »

This story makes mention of Matt and Adam at tonights award to Mike.

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/the-beach-boys-mike-love-feted-with-21st-ella-award-tonight/10864182

The group California Saga, which is comprised of The Beach Boys children (Brian Wilson's daughters, Carnie and Wendy Wilson; Mike Love's son and daughter, Christian and Ambha Love; Carl Wilson's son, Justyn Wilson; Dennis Wilson's son, Carl B. Wilson; and Al Jardine's sons, Matt and Adam Jardine), will tribute the all-American band's legacy as well.

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

I am currently on my phone so I apologise for the link instead of a picture! I have just seen this picture posted by the Society of Singers and to me it looks like the guitarist on Mike's right is Jeff Foskett. Am I mistaken or has he popped along?

https://mobile.twitter.com/SingersSociety

Sorry if people can't see the link, just type Society of Singers twitter into google if you don't have the app/twitter.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »

yeah that's him

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:58:27 AM »

Jeff with Mike.. Matt with Brian..  what the heck is going on?!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:08 AM »

The stars are realigning... who knows where they may fall ? May you live in interesting times...

Rumor Mill to warp factor 12, Mr. Sulu.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:20:48 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »

Wow!

Bring it on!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 02:29:12 AM »

I think much of the more recent fallout is a product of our own furtive imaginings. This is more than a band, it's a mix of family and friends. The incomers (the wives) might not see eye to eye on everything but blood runs deep.

Make it so…

“We live in divisive times.”
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:01:20 AM »

Nelson Bragg recently responded to some of the stories some fans were concocting on Al's FB page:

"#1 Ocean Way studios....#2 Mike didn't/couldn't fire anyone. #3 No 5 man reunion ever again....it's the Mike and Bruce show. nb"
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:07:23 AM »

http://www.apimages.com/Search?query=ella+awards&ss=10&st=kw&entitysearch=&toItem=18&orderBy=Newest
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 03:10:06 AM »

Al Jardine is in one of those pictures. He was there? Shocked

Carnie and Wendy also.

http://www.apimages.com/metadata/Index/inVision-Matt-Sayles-Invision-AP-A-ENT-CA-USA-I-/6f071c96fb7946bd91e889f899878767/66/0

Ok...The C50 line-up except Brian. I'm somewhat dazed!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:13:41 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:54 AM »

So 4 out of 5 plus Jeff...That's a start! Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 03:20:15 AM »

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:44 AM »

Was Brian Wilson invited?
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 05:56:08 AM »

Was Brian Wilson invited?

Isn't that Brian looking thirty years younger behind Stamos and Al? Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:26:19 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 06:00:58 AM »

Isn't that Brian looking thirty years younger behind Stamos and Al? Grin
[/quote]

I don't know, but Mike looks eerily like he did 25 years ago for his Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame speech.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 06:46:50 AM »

I don't know, but Mike looks eerily like he did 25 years ago for his Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame speech.

Did he instruct anyone to "kick out the jams?"  LOL

Nice pic, nice to see more confirmation that Mike isn't pissed at Al (or vice versa) again.

Stamos must love this scene. He gets to brownnose with the Beach Boys, and he comparatively looks 5,000 years younger when posing next to those guys.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:41 AM »

I like to think that Al & Jeff were sent as envoys to broker a peace between the non-cousin elements of the Wilson and Love households, and that the award was in fact originally offered to Brian but he passed and asked instead, as a kinda peace offering, that it be given to Mike.

But then I ask what AGD's response to that theory would be, slap myself in the face, and tell myself to shaddap!

And in response to the ageist comments above*, I think they all look pretty good considerin' – Bruce needs to re-tie his dicky tho – and don't forget, David is actually younger than Stamos (whose tan cannot be real).

Enough… back to work…

* I'm very sensitive to these, I'm nearly 50 you know!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx