gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:27:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom Tapes - LA Weekly 1-30-14  (Read 86233 times)
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »

http://www.laweekly.com/2014-01-30/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes/

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »

Wow, It would be awesome if these 60 songs would see release.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

Well now. Interesting that they'd post a lengthy article on this, although there's no mention of a definite release. Could be some early promo for such a release?
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »

I guess this will see the light of day, at some point. May take a year, may take 37 years.
Once this kind of press is unearthed public demand will rise and rise
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

Thanks for the link. Fascinating article. So AGD: as you're quoted in the piece, have you heard much of this stuff? Or perhaps we're familiar with much of it from boots?

Either way this sounds fascinating and I would definitely buy a collection of Brian's more experimental, unreleased, demo material entitled 'The Bedroom Tapes'. What's not to love?!

I suggest we mention The Bedroom Tapes as much as possible from now on in the hope that whoever's blocking such a release realises there is a market for it amongst the fans.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:45:53 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »

A physical tape recording of Rooftop Harry apparently does exist.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »

"L.A. Weekly recently was granted access to many of these never-before-heard tapes from 1968-1974 - almost 60 titles in all - currently stored at the Beach Boys' archive on Vanowen Street, near Bob Hope Airport in Burbank."

Two quick questions: Who was responsible for granting this access and, more importantly, why (now) was this access granted?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »

Utterly flabbergasted, since I work on the exact same street, probably a block away, from where the article states these tapes are currently being stored.  
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »

This is the next big thing!

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Would love to what solo song "Spark in the dark" turned to. Or is that common knowledge and I missed it?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

Would love to what solo song "Spark in the dark" turned to. Or is that common knowledge and I missed it?
Its funky Pretty!!! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

I suggest we mention The Bedroom Tapes as much as possible from now on in the hope that who every blocking such a release realises there is a market for it amongst the fans.

Agreed. I guarantee if The Bedroom Tapes were given a proper release it would sell like hotcakes among us hardcore fans.

The Beach Boys name will continue to sell endless copies of Greatest Hits compilations, but if they don't release the rarities that the current market is hungry for, they'll be losing out on a lot of $. I mean, right now they could release a 60 minute recording of Brian chewing on steak and many of us would buy it - such bountiful fandom will fizzle out in the future. NOW IS THE TIME CAPITOL/BRI/ETC.

Thanks for posting this, superunison.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »

Great news, but haven't you all heard this before?  A carefully written piece from existent info.  Does Brian Chidester post here?  I guess I was expecting something more like a list of the 60 songs.  Alan, Mark and others must have knowledge of these as well, right?  But fine, put 'em out.  I'll buy.
I pulled up a thread this morning wanting a DVD set.  That's what I think Alan should focus on next.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »

Agreed Rab, I would love to hear what Brian was up to in the bedroom.... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »

I remember reading that Steve Desper said he erased a lot of stuff Brian recorded in this period, on Brian's orders. I guess some things were preserved after all. Cool
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »

Utterly flabbergasted, since I work on the exact same street, probably a block away, from where the article states these tapes are currently being stored.  

It's obvious what you need to do.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »

I NEED this.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »

We all do.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »

Its funky Pretty!!! Grin

According to AGD's site:

This song is not, as is often claimed, an early version of "Funky Pretty". However, having
  started out sounding like "Loop De Loop", it contains a riff Brian reused over 20 years
  later for "Chain Reaction Of Love".

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs72.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »

Its funky Pretty!!! Grin

According to AGD's site:

This song is not, as is often claimed, an early version of "Funky Pretty". However, having
  started out sounding like "Loop De Loop", it contains a riff Brian reused over 20 years
  later for "Chain Reaction Of Love".

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs72.html

Thanks!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »

Two quick questions: Who was responsible for granting this access and, more importantly, why (now) was this access granted?

I assume it has to do with building up public interest in BW. If more people are curious about the bedroom years, more people will get interested in his story and that will help sell the movie.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »

Great News! Let's hope they're released soon.

Thanks Superunison for posting the link. 

And thanks Brian Chidester for the article and Andrew for your always incisive input.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »

Woah! This is incredible news!

I would be beyond excited if these tapes end up getting released.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »

I assume it has to do with building up public interest in BW. If more people are curious about the bedroom years, more people will get interested in his story and that will help sell the movie.

For all the boneheaded business moves the BBs have done throughout the last half century, this seems to be one of the smarter marketing maneuvers by them.

Seems like they're trying to cultivate another SMiLE-esque legend with these tapes in anticipation of the BW Biopic and book, and I hope they succeed in stirring up all kinds of interest.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:23:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »

If the end result isn't a box set in my hands I will be sorely disappointed.  Shocked
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx