gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:14:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 New Releases  (Read 53226 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »

Mark Ronson's single with Bruno Mars--performed this weekend on SNL, though I didn't know it--is out. "Uptown Funk" is good, good stuff. There's also a single with Mystikal out, "Feel Right."

"Uptown Funk" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

The album is due in January. I'm somewhat excited. The first quarter of 2015 brings (off the top of my head) Mark Ronson, Belle & Sebastian, Bob Dylan, and Of Montreal. Not a bad way to kick things off.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »

Mystikal doing a song with Mark Ronson is... unexpected.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »

(It's a really good track. Mystikal always had top delivery. So growly.)

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »

Regarding Tink, this is a useful introduction:

11 Tink Songs You Should Know

Her official debut is set for next year.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »

I love it. Great track a la early '70s James Brown, and Mystikal is pretty spectacular. Sometimes he actually sounds like James, too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2014, 05:15:17 AM »

I love it. Great track a la early '70s James Brown, and Mystikal is pretty spectacular. Sometimes he actually sounds like James, too.

Yes, certainly his own fault but he could have done a lot more during his first run. Perhaps this track will provide a second opportunity.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »

Lost On The River is fucking great. They should do another album just because.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 29, 2014, 08:21:47 AM »

Wow, I think you like it more than I do--and I like it. But I don't go quite as far as "fucking great." Still, it is good. I wish I had Showtime, as I'd like to see that documentary. I'm a bit of a sucker for those sorts of things.

On the deluxe version, I'm particularly fond of roughly the second quartile / middle third. Some great songs in there.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »

Within the past day or so, two new Lana Del Rey songs have been posted. They both appear in the upcoming Tim Burton movie Big Eyes. The songs are "Big Eyes" and "I Can Fly," the former of which sounds really good to me on one listen. (The latter, I don't like as much, but it has its moments.)

http://pitchfork.com/news/57686-lana-del-reys-songs-big-eyes-and-i-can-fly-surface/

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »

Two new releases of interest (to me) today.

Belle & Sebastian released their second song (and I think first video) from their upcoming, Jan. 2015, album.

Nobody's Empire: http://youtu.be/Rgb8am3NQU0

And from Of Montreal's new album, scheduled for March 3, we have the first song (not yet for sale, but on Soundcloud).

Bassem Sabry: https://soundcloud.com/of-montreal

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 10, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »

Belle & Sebastian released their second song (and I think first video) from their upcoming, Jan. 2015, album.

And from Of Montreal's new album, scheduled for March 3, we have the first song (not yet for sale, but on Soundcloud).

Those were both pretty disappointing, especially Belle and Sebastian. I found this new single by Sir Paul today that I really like called Hope For The Future which he wrote for a video game,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163_C5UVU-I

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 11, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »

Those were both pretty disappointing, especially Belle and Sebastian. I found this new single by Sir Paul today that I really like called Hope For The Future which he wrote for a video game,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163_C5UVU-I

I actually agree with that "disappointing" sentiment (though I actually disliked the McCartney more). B&S have become a far more polished, professional outfit over the past decade, but for me they've gone almost too far. Not a lot of immediacy, vigor. (Dear Catastrophe Waitress was the pinnacle for me.) That said, I have found the past couple to be growers, so we'll see.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

I'm enjoying the Of Montreal song a little more on repeated listens, which is no big shock. I also realized what threw me at first: a lot of the vocals, especially the lead in the verse, are in a lower register than usual and single tracked. That's pretty rare for K Barnes, especially these past 10 years or so. While I don't think it is anything near his best work--which to be fair I also said of "Fugitive Air" at first, an opinion I now thoroughly reject--in terms of pure Barnsian hookiness, I do like the track quite a bit. The bass, the guitars, the keys, the disco beat. So for me a fun listen, even if it isn't the best song.

All that said, I don't think it would make my best-of-year playlist, which is likely going to end up two dozen or so songs. Even expanded to, say, 30, I doubt it would make it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »

I took the day off work (and for that matter have only a few more days I'll be working all month) and am taking part of it to go through various publications' best-of-year lists (quite a few out already) to listen to what I either haven't heard or haven't heard much in an attempt to have a full spectrum from which to make my own lists. I know everyone cares. My lists, they have you waiting on the edges of your seats. Don't lie.

Anyway, I'll be posting thoughts on some of them eventually, no doubt. Among the bands/artists I have jotted down are Alvvays (not a fan so far), FKA Twigs, K Michelle, Mac DeMarco, Calle 13, Roseanne Cash, Ratking, YG, Sturgill Simpson, Aaron Freeman, Angeleena Presley, Your Old Droog, Miranda Lambert, and Flying Lotus. (If anyone has particularly strong feelings about any of those, I'd love to hear them.) I also want to revisit the Perfume Genius and St. Vincent albums, just to give them another shot. Big couple weeks of listening coming up for me.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »

Your Old Droog earned instant purchase. It tickled me right away, but especially when in the second song (the first proper one, after an intro), "Bad to the Bone," included the line "let me flex the vocab a little bit, make these crackers think I'm smart and tell me how I'm so articulate." I've only heard a few songs but it's so, so worth the money already. The tracks are early 90s east coast sounding, using scratchy analog-sounding instrumental backdrops. The words, well, ... I'm in love.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »

Angaleena Presley's American Middle Class is lovely.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2014, 06:39:32 AM »

This is my favourite song of 2014 so far: "Sailor's Daughter" by Sabina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_nAnA2g-x4

Please delete my account
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 13, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »

A few more quick thoughts (with more coming):

Calle 13 - wish I spoke/understood more Spanish. Interesting and listenable despite that barrier. Good rap delivery and musical backing tracks. Going to try it again.

YG - didn't do it for me. Just standard gangsta rap to these ears (making it tired).

Flying Lotus - tracks mostly reminded me of late 60s Miles Davis, like Filies de Kilimanjaro or something, with more modern sounds throughout. Largely instrumental, but with some singing and speaking as well. Kimbra and Kendrick Lamarr among the guests. Definitely plan to listen again, not sure where it fits overall, especially in a pop context.

Future Islands - boring. But then again I'm not as big on the gloomy early 80s sounding synth-based pop that is all over these days. (Not to mention my tendency to dislike baritone voices.)

K. Michelle - oversung. bored the sh*t out of me.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »

Sturgill Simpson - I don't get the hype. To me this was pretty straightforward, run of the mill modern country. Maybe I'll try it another time and see if it strikes me as different.

FKA Twigs - I can't say I like or dislike it, which is what I think I said the first time I listened to it earlier this year. Definitely not my thing in any kind of immediate way, but just not knowing what to do with something is sometimes reason enough to try it again later.

Mac DeMarco - I bet if I were 14 and stoned I'd enjoy this more. I have no need for this.

A few albums yet to check out (and of course I keep coming across new ones to add to the list, as well), but it seems like my late-year listenathon isn't yielding too much that would be essential. (I do really love that Your Old Droog though.) Still, better to know than not.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »

D'Angelo's new album, Black Messiah, dropped today. And it's good. Really good. About halfway through listen number one, I can report that it's dense, full of funk and harmonies ... so cool. Obviously that's no review. I'll listen a lot more and talk about it another time. But it's really a good album, especially for anyone into soul / R&B / funk.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »

Another new single off Panda Bear's upcoming album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prBaZzYmQrI
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

D'Angelo's new album, Black Messiah, dropped today. And it's good. Really good. About halfway through listen number one, I can report that it's dense, full of funk and harmonies ... so cool. Obviously that's no review. I'll listen a lot more and talk about it another time. But it's really a good album, especially for anyone into soul / R&B / funk.

I concur, a very good album. It's definitely one that seems to reward repeat listenings.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

Lost On The River is fucking great. They should do another album just because.

Contrary to my previous, tempered response on this, I am now more likely to go with "fucking great" on this one. I still don't think it's some sort of life-changing, era-defining event. (Not the era in which it was half-written, performed, recorded, and released, anyway. Maybe it would have had a shot in '67, but since the participants were young or less at the time, that seems unlikely.) This is a really good album. 

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

I guess it's time for a new thread.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »

Not quite...but damn close.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx