gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:39:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 New Releases  (Read 53214 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2014, 06:18:10 AM »

I mentioned it in the now listening thread but the new Tinashe album is really quite good. Perfect with ASAP Rocky is not representative of the sound or tone of the album. Worth it for folks inclined towards the new wave of R&B.

I had listened just to some samples on iTunes and wasn't really taken by it. I'll give it a full listen to see whether it strikes me on a more thorough attempt.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »

Indie folk aficionados might want to treat themselves with the Horse Feathers' new So It Is With Us:

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCm5wRMalY4
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »

I mentioned it in the now listening thread but the new Tinashe album is really quite good. Perfect with ASAP Rocky is not representative of the sound or tone of the album. Worth it for folks inclined towards the new wave of R&B.

I had listened just to some samples on iTunes and wasn't really taken by it. I'll give it a full listen to see whether it strikes me on a more thorough attempt.

It's the kind of album that needs some time. It is very atmospheric and as that builds up things get good.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:30 AM »

The Timbaland/JT mix of Love Never Felt So Good is bloody brilliant. I really loved that last album they put out. Miles away from the one they did right after he died. Sounded like a real album and not a collection of outtakes.

Agreed. "Loving You" is incredible (original + remake).
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »

The past few years I've put together a year-end playlist that combines a) some favorite songs of the year; b) a broad range of artists I've enjoyed that year; all in c) a running order that's enjoyable on its own. I try to keep it to one, maybe two, songs per artist. And I try to keep it around the length of a double album.

We're a little more than 3/4 through the year, and this is what I have so far. If anyone has ideas on glaring absences, I would love to hear them. Doesn't mean I'll accept them, of course, but I'll listen (if I haven't already).

1. Can You Do This, Aloe Blacc (Lift Your Spirit)
2. All About That Bass, Meghan Trainor (Title)
3. Shake It Off, Taylor Swift (1989)
4. Breakdown, Prince (Art Official Age)
5. Happy, Pharrell Williams (G I R L)
6. Love Never Felt So Good, Michael Jackson (Xscape)

7. The Ballad of Mr. Steak, Kishi Bashi (Lighght)
8. Bad Law, Sondre Lerche (Please)
9. Slow Motion, PHOX (PHOX)
10. She Is Seventeen, Avi Buffalo (At Best Cuckold)
11. The English Softhearts, Literature (Chorus)
12. Requiem, Ramesh (The King)

13. Orange Juice, Stanley Brinks and the Wave Pictures (Orange Juice)
14. Temporary Ground, Jack White (Lazaretto)
15. Reverie on Norfolk Street, Luluc (Passerby)
16. Just One of the Guys, Jenny Lewis (The Voyager)
17. Nothing More than Everything to Me, Christopher Owens (A New Testament)
18. Don't Think Twice, Dolly Parton (Blue Smoke)
19. Did I Ever Love You, Leonard Cohen (Popular Problems)

20. The Trailer Song, Kacey Musgraves (The Trailer Song)
21. I'm Not the Only One, Sam Smith (In the Lonely Hour)
22. Night at Lake Unknown, Conor Oberst (Upside Down Mountain)
23. I Know, Sharon Van Etten (Are We There)
24. Good Luck, Good Night, Goodbye, The Secret Sisters (Put Your Needle Down)
25. Bless the Telephone, Kelis (Food)

Great picks. I didn't like "Shake It Off" on first listen, but it grew on me. The production is really strong. Love the high school football game vibe. Max Martin can do no wrong.

edit: One Direction's new single is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahsquWlw5I
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:40:48 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »

Another recommendation:

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »

Indie folk aficionados might want to treat themselves with the Horse Feathers' new So It Is With Us:

Never heard of them before so I watched the video you linked. Went from kinda liking, to hating voice, to sort of liking voice (when it left too-emotive scratchy territory and took an Iron & Wine turn), to not sure again. So ... not sure. But I'm going to keep an ear open here.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »

Never heard of them before so I watched the video you linked. Went from kinda liking, to hating voice, to sort of liking voice (when it left too-emotive scratchy territory and took an Iron & Wine turn), to not sure again. So ... not sure. But I'm going to keep an ear open here.
New LP is kinda unlike their earlier records. Just listen to some random stuff of theirs to get a better overall impression, I'd say. The Youtube link I posted isn't my favourite from the record, either.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »

The past few years I've put together a year-end playlist that combines a) some favorite songs of the year; b) a broad range of artists I've enjoyed that year; all in c) a running order that's enjoyable on its own. I try to keep it to one, maybe two, songs per artist. And I try to keep it around the length of a double album.

We're a little more than 3/4 through the year, and this is what I have so far. If anyone has ideas on glaring absences, I would love to hear them. Doesn't mean I'll accept them, of course, but I'll listen (if I haven't already).

1. Can You Do This, Aloe Blacc (Lift Your Spirit)
2. All About That Bass, Meghan Trainor (Title)
3. Shake It Off, Taylor Swift (1989)
4. Breakdown, Prince (Art Official Age)
5. Happy, Pharrell Williams (G I R L)
6. Love Never Felt So Good, Michael Jackson (Xscape)

7. The Ballad of Mr. Steak, Kishi Bashi (Lighght)
8. Bad Law, Sondre Lerche (Please)
9. Slow Motion, PHOX (PHOX)
10. She Is Seventeen, Avi Buffalo (At Best Cuckold)
11. The English Softhearts, Literature (Chorus)
12. Requiem, Ramesh (The King)

13. Orange Juice, Stanley Brinks and the Wave Pictures (Orange Juice)
14. Temporary Ground, Jack White (Lazaretto)
15. Reverie on Norfolk Street, Luluc (Passerby)
16. Just One of the Guys, Jenny Lewis (The Voyager)
17. Nothing More than Everything to Me, Christopher Owens (A New Testament)
18. Don't Think Twice, Dolly Parton (Blue Smoke)
19. Did I Ever Love You, Leonard Cohen (Popular Problems)

20. The Trailer Song, Kacey Musgraves (The Trailer Song)
21. I'm Not the Only One, Sam Smith (In the Lonely Hour)
22. Night at Lake Unknown, Conor Oberst (Upside Down Mountain)
23. I Know, Sharon Van Etten (Are We There)
24. Good Luck, Good Night, Goodbye, The Secret Sisters (Put Your Needle Down)
25. Bless the Telephone, Kelis (Food)

The Foster The People 'Supermodel' album has lots of great tracks but if I had to pick just one to add to your 'Best of 2014' list I'll suggest Pseudologia Fantastica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgE-fJk00Q8

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »

That is a good list Captain. I have heard most of the songs/albums on there. Blue Smoke was a surprisingly good album. For someone who portrays herself as physically artificial and altered, she still has a direct line to making music that sounds entirely natural and pleasing. 

Do you make playlists and such like on Spotify? 

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »

The Jessie Ware album kind of lost me in the middle but the song Tough Love has me fully hooked. Love the nods to Little Red Corvette. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »

The Foster The People 'Supermodel' album has lots of great tracks but if I had to pick just one to add to your 'Best of 2014' list I'll suggest Pseudologia Fantastica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgE-fJk00Q8

I only listened to that album about once through back when it came out and while I didn't dislike it, I wasn't excited by it, either. I'll give it another listen on your suggestion, though. Lord knows I've flip-flopped before.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2014, 03:39:32 PM »

Do you make playlists and such like on Spotify? 

Not usually. I generally make playlists for myself on iTunes and that's that. When I have wanted to do Spotify playlists, I inevitably have a few songs that aren't on Spotify. Then--if I have this right--it ends up that while I can hear them because they are in my library, other listeners can't (because I tend not to want to make things publicly available). I am just guessing, but on this year's list-to-date, I assume Stanley Brinks and Ramesh aren't on Spotify.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »

Stanley Brinks is on there in abundance, including the song in your list. The Ramesh song/album is on there too.

There are differences between regions, occasionally considerable but these are showing up for me here in Europe.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »

Cool. I'm surprised especially @ Stanley Brinks, considering his somewhat limited distribution here. (I've never seen s physical disc under Andre Herman Dune or Stanley Brinks in the US.)

Anyway, why did you ask re whether I make Spotify playlists?

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »

Just that I do most of my listening through it and was wondering whether I could just subscribe to the above 2014 playlist. I might make one for the year actually. Some good stuff in 2014.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:34:26 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »

I'll check into it (and previous years', since I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th formal list).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »

The Jessie Ware album kind of lost me in the middle but the song Tough Love has me fully hooked. Love the nods to Little Red Corvette. 

Listening to this now--1st time--and enjoying it a lot. There have been 2-3 songs that warrant consideration among the year's few dozen best. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of the influence of 80s pop soundscapes on current music but a lot of it works here. I think eventually talent--in material, performance or both--overcomes those sorts of things.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »

I listened to Stars' new album No One is Lost today. As usually seems to be the case with them, my reaction was: professionally done, wholly unnecessary, and somewhat pleasant music.

I did really like a few songs off their 2007 album In Our Bedroom After the War. And there are certainly some solid songs--or at least solid recordings and performances--here. But mostly I just don't care. It's my fault.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »

And the new Foxygen:

"If you can't say something nice..."

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »

And the new Foxygen:

Don't know if you like/follow the Needle Drop on YouTube but he gave this album a 2 out of 10. Which really is something...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »

Heard the new Annie Lennox (all covers) LP today - Nostalgia. Neat song selection but a tad bland overall (general approach, production, vocals). Not recommended.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »

And the new Foxygen:

I'm with you on that, Cap.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

Listening to this now--1st time--and enjoying it a lot. There have been 2-3 songs that warrant consideration among the year's few dozen best. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of the influence of 80s pop soundscapes on current music but a lot of it works here. I think eventually talent--in material, performance or both--overcomes those sorts of things.

I want to call out (at least) one song from this album specifically because it's kicking my ass repeatedly these past couple days. "Keep on Lying" is really wonderful. On my first listen, the instrumental introduction almost had me laughing over my gag, or gagging over my laugh, sounding like some horrific preset on a discount-store keyboard. As I said, I'm not fond of the '80s vibe in so much modern pop... But the verse vocals had my attention, at least minimally.

The background vocals in the pre-chorus, :45ish, are nice. And then--HOLY sh*t--that refrain! The suspensions do it for me. They really do. This song is wonderful. Ware is a really good singer, and this is fabulous. A vocal tour de force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F09pr1RaiKE

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2014, 03:06:05 AM »

Playing the new Yusuf / Cat Stevens... so far so good. More later!

Okay, halfway through and it's a winner! Definitely recommended. Insightful review HERE.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:22:46 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx