gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:18:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 New Releases  (Read 53215 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »

Something I found recently:

Ryley Walker - "Clear the Sky"
https://soundcloud.com/tiny-mix-tapes/ryley-walker-clear-the-sky

It's a really nice song. Very earthy (and baroque) arrangement, intricate fingerstyle guitar playing, unique voice, and dreamy vibe all remind me of the best of Nick Drake and other English folk-ees. I haven't heard the rest of the album yet, but if the rest of it's as good as this song is, I'll be making sure to pick this record up.
If that's your sorta thing, be sure to check it out.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »

The new Neil Young LP, A Letter Home, is worth a spin. The album concept is pretty self-explanatory (as it is creatively successful, despite the somewhat tired "all covers record" routine many of our dear old rock and roll survivors cling to).

The entire album, which consists of covers of classic songs by Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and others, was recorded in a refurbished 1947 Voice-o-Graph vinyl recording booth at Jack White's Third Man store in Nashville, Tennessee. A message on Young's website described the album as "an unheard collection of rediscovered songs from the past recorded on ancient electro-mechanical technology captures and unleashes the essence of something that could have been gone forever".
(source)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »

Michael Jackson's second posthumous release, Xscape, was released yesterday in the U.S. I listened today.

The album was heavily produced--or maybe the better word is assembled--by Timbaland, LA Reid, etc. The tracks are almost entirely newly created around Michael's vocals off of what had been an assortment of demos in various stages. Some may not approve of the idea, but for me it's not a problem at all. Michael's music works pretty well, especially in the current retro-R&B trend we have going on. It's not like taking a '30s blues vocal and putting it in the middle of some modern sound, for example. This works, and may well be how Michael would have approached it anyway, had he been here.

The bigger problem is the material. There is a reason these songs weren't released. I like "Love Never Felt So Good" quite a bit, but otherwise the songs are pretty mediocre. My feeling about the album is that it's well sung, well produced, dynamite sounding in most spots, but just subpar content. Still, the aforementioned single is worth $1.29.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »

Michael Jackson's second posthumous release, Xscape, was released yesterday in the U.S. I listened today.

The album was heavily produced--or maybe the better word is assembled--by Timbaland, LA Reid, etc. The tracks are almost entirely newly created around Michael's vocals off of what had been an assortment of demos in various stages. Some may not approve of the idea, but for me it's not a problem at all. Michael's music works pretty well, especially in the current retro-R&B trend we have going on. It's not like taking a '30s blues vocal and putting it in the middle of some modern sound, for example. This works, and may well be how Michael would have approached it anyway, had he been here.

The bigger problem is the material. There is a reason these songs weren't released. I like "Love Never Felt So Good" quite a bit, but otherwise the songs are pretty mediocre. My feeling about the album is that it's well sung, well produced, dynamite sounding in most spots, but just subpar content. Still, the aforementioned single is worth $1.29.

I remember when I got the Michael album from 2010 and being disappointed too (particularly because they used someone else's voice in a lot of the songs).  As a fan though I got it for my collection as I will do with this new album.  Justin T.  did a great job on Love Never Felt so good, I could listen to both that and the original and be satisfied  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »

Anybody want a nice earworm for summer?

"Mr. Steak, you're Grade A."

Kishi Bashi, "The Ballad of Mr Steak"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDiv7VGY4Pw

Kishi Bashi puts out solo music--as I suppose is obvious by this post--and has played with others, including Of Montreal (as violinist, keyboardist, I think a little guitar live, and background singer, especially falsetto). He's absurdly talented. This one is just a great summer tune, so catchy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2014, 05:07:39 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:49:11 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2014, 06:41:36 AM »

Sarcasm? I think one can guess the charts aren't aware of Mr. Steak (sadly). I really do think it's great pop, though.

The new Sharon Van Etten album was released last week. I like some of it, especially this heavy piano-and-voice ballad, "I Know." The piano is so simple, but her voice powers over it in an appealing way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeMUPJ5diIs

Not sure about the album as a whole, but this is $1.29 worth spending.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:49:39 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:08 AM »

Just got the new St. Vincent album and look forward to playing it a couple of times. First time I'm listening to a full album of hers. Will come back with opinions.

Forgot to post earlier, but I love this album - really great stuff. How do guys feel it compares with the rest of her discography? I've yet to hear the other albums.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »

I heard this on the radio today and had to come home and buy it: Dolly Parton covering Dylan's "Don't Think Twice." Talk about an amazing voice, hers certainly has aged well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpBfGpr1YNM

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

Just got the new St. Vincent album and look forward to playing it a couple of times. First time I'm listening to a full album of hers. Will come back with opinions.

Forgot to post earlier, but I love this album - really great stuff. How do guys feel it compares with the rest of her discography? I've yet to hear the other albums.

I think it's a better album than her previous work. She has worked with producer John Congleton (whom I love) to really refine that unusual atmosphere, creepily artificial, sometimes sterile but stabbed with sharp noises. Her singing has improved over time, too, I think.

That said, I'm not as big a fan of her as I once thought I'd be. I really liked "Marry Me" (the song more than the album) and was always excited for what she'd do. With each album I've been less interested despite the indisputable fact that she's extremely talented and the work is very well done. It's just not music I enjoy; rather, it's music that is interesting. It's almost like homework for me rather than an experience I lose myself in. I don't feel joy, or sadness, but usually just detachment.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:45:19 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:42 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:45:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »

Conor Oberst (formerly of Bright Eyes, among other things) had a new solo album--his major-label debut, on Nonesuch--released a few weeks back. I've never been much of an Oberst fan, mostly because his quavering voice sounds shakily terrified to me. It's just weak. But this track, "Night at Lake Unknown," off of that new album is self-assured and beautiful, like a late 60s or early 70s Dylan song to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZMbbV_xuw

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »

Today I listened to Jack White's new album, Lazaretto. Never a real White Stripes fan, I did like Blunderbuss and some other things, like "Two Against One." (I may well like the White Stripes if I went back and listened, but at the time they didn't strike me as interesting and I didn't invest much time.)

While not immediately essential to me, the album's first three songs struck me as pretty damn good. My early favorite is the country-influenced duet "Temporary Ground." Prominent violin sounding like Scarlett Rivera's mid-70s contributions to Dylan, a woman (whose name I haven't seen) singing beautifully along with White, it caught my attention after the heavier rockers preceding it.

Temporary Ground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaovoKswXOY

As for those rockers, "Three Women" and "Lazaretto," they are the sort of bluesy, sexy, Zeppelin-riffing songs you might associate with White. "Three Women" has a prominent Hammond organ that adds fantastic color, while the title track has a riff that honestly could have been a Page part.

Three Women
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxuFh6kV_w

Lazaretto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-95cTMeLM

I bought those three songs; may buy the rest of the album later. Give them a listen; this is quality modern rock music (in case anyone believes rock is dead, as is brought up pretty goshdarn incessantly around here).

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »

Conor Oberst (formerly of Bright Eyes, among other things) had a new solo album--his major-label debut, on Nonesuch--released a few weeks back. I've never been much of an Oberst fan, mostly because his quavering voice sounds shakily terrified to me. It's just weak. But this track, "Night at Lake Unknown," off of that new album is self-assured and beautiful, like a late 60s or early 70s Dylan song to my ears.

Bright Eyes is so, so terrible. The worst of emo's tendencies disguised as folk and Americana. 99% of his fanbase is likely high school girls... most realize how much he sucks by college.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2014, 04:17:43 AM »

[...] most realize how much he sucks by college.
I haven't yet, and I'm fresh out of college.. Undecided
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2014, 04:29:19 AM »

Bright Eyes is so, so terrible. The worst of emo's tendencies disguised as folk and Americana. 99% of his fanbase is likely high school girls... most realize how much he sucks by college.

10 years ago I was halfway through college and he was very popular with a lot of my peers.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »

I'm' not especially concerned about anyone's tendencies, disguises, or fanbases. And I don't like Bright Eyes. But I think this song is beautiful.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

You'll get there. It's one of Piaget's steps.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »

You'll get there. It's one of Piaget's steps.
... a concept based on the assumption of disputable genetic principles. I'll take I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning over epistemological mumbo-jumbo any day of the week. Wink
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »

Gave the new Lily Allen album 2 listens...nothing really grabbed my attention so far.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »

the album to anticipate this year is Panda's new solo album. It is said to have been recorded but a release date (or even final title) still hasn't been announced
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:31 AM »

I think it's a better album than her previous work. She has worked with producer John Congleton (whom I love) to really refine that unusual atmosphere, creepily artificial, sometimes sterile but stabbed with sharp noises. Her singing has improved over time, too, I think.

That said, I'm not as big a fan of her as I once thought I'd be. I really liked "Marry Me" (the song more than the album) and was always excited for what she'd do. With each album I've been less interested despite the indisputable fact that she's extremely talented and the work is very well done. It's just not music I enjoy; rather, it's music that is interesting. It's almost like homework for me rather than an experience I lose myself in. I don't feel joy, or sadness, but usually just detachment.

To use a Woody Allen quote, you can admire the technique, but it doesn't hit you on a gut level? Grin I can understand that, but I'm not quite with you. I still haven't heard her other stuff, but 'I Prefer Your Love' (to give the most obvious example) can get pretty emotional for me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »

To use a Woody Allen quote, you can admire the technique, but it doesn't hit you on a gut level? Grin I can understand that, but I'm not quite with you. I still haven't heard her other stuff, but 'I Prefer Your Love' (to give the most obvious example) can get pretty emotional for me.
Fair enough. I'd never try to talk anyone out of liking anything, anyway--what a destructive habit!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx