gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:45:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 New Releases  (Read 53220 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »

The year is very nearly over (and for some of you, is over already). Thus the long-awaited (by nobody but me) release of my full 2014 playlist, which ended up being five "sides" of six songs apiece, with the exception of the final, eight-song side. I went about 25% over my typical year-end playlist because I really thought 2014 was an exceptional year for music.

I believe you can listen to the whole thing on Spotify if you have an account by going here: http://open.spotify.com/user/lutherh/playlist/3iNRxszv4kGkML2NtLPA9X

(If I'm wrong, sorry about that.)

The list is:

1. Can You Do This, Aloe Blacc
2. Nude Beach A-Go-Go, Azealia Banks
3. All About That Bass, Meghan Trainor
4. Shake it Off, Taylor Swift
5. I Won't Let You Down, OK Go
6. Happy, Pharrell Williams

7. Feel Right, Mark Ronson feat. Mystikal
8. Love Never Felt So Good, Michael Jackson feat. Justin Timberlake
9. The Ballad of Mr. Steak, Kishi Bashi
10. Slow Motion, PHOX
11. I'm Not The Only One, Sam Smith
12. Keep on Lying, Jessie Ware

13. The Party Line, Belle & Sebastian
14. We Come From the Same Place, Allo Darlin
15. I Think It's Gonna Happen Again, Avi Buffalo
16. Bad Law, Sondre Lerche
17. The English Softhearts, Literature
18. Requiem, Ramesh

19. Orange Juice, Stanley Brinks & the Wave Pictures
20. Three Women, Jack White
21. One of the Guys, Jenny Lewis
22. High & Wild, Angel Olsen
23. Gotta Get Away, The Black Keys
24. Nothing To It, the New Basement Tapes

25. Nothing More than Everything to Me, Christopher Owens
26. Don't Think Twice, Dolly Parton
27. The Trailer Song, Kacey Musgraves
28. Reverie on Norfolk Street, Luluc
29. Night at Lake Unknown, Conor Oberst
30. I Know, Sharon Van Etten
31. Good Luck, Good Night, Goodbye, The Secret Sisters
32. Bless the Telephone, Kelis

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »

Captain, you should be the guy (or gal?) to start a 2015 thread since you listen to so much new music!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »

Captain, you should be the guy (or gal?) to start a 2015 thread since you listen to so much new music!

Plan to, just hadn't gotten or really listened to anything yet. That changes as soon as my preorders of Meghan Trainor's and Mark Ronson's respective albums come through for download in a few hours, though. So I guess I'll get to it!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 29, 2015, 06:21:11 AM »

A few more quick thoughts (with more coming):
Future Islands - boring. But then again I'm not as big on the gloomy early 80s sounding synth-based pop that is all over these days. (Not to mention my tendency to dislike baritone voices.)

What an awesome performance they put on at Glastonbury! Well, everywhere it seems. What a band, what a frontman! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK96dS6vuR8

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »

I sorta agree with the captain's view on 80's-esque music these days. My friends are obsessed with Wild Cub and they're alright but not for me...

However, I did see Future Islands in concert, and like john k said they're crazy live! The lead singer actually acts like he's on something on stage. He puts a lot of energy into his performance. I thought they were super fun live Smiley

Also, on another previous post Kishi Bashi was mentioned. His new (2014) album is phenomenal. Watch his tiny desk performance... he is so talented!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqAmZHkkTg

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »

Also, on another previous post Kishi Bashi was mentioned. His new (2014) album is phenomenal. Watch his tiny desk performance... he is so talented!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqAmZHkkTg

Amen, brother. Or sister. "The Ballad of Mr Steak" in particular was brilliant.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2015, 01:02:59 AM »

^ and I dig "Manchester" off of his first album. What a beautiful song.

2014 also saw the release of Foster the People's sophomore album, which didn't receive a ton of positive public recognition, but I liked it. I'm also partial to Mark Foster being a huge fan of the Beach Boys and all.
And Alvvay's self-titled, Bleacher's Strange Desire (I only listen to the A-side really though...), and Real Estate's Atlas.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »

^ and I dig "Manchester" off of his first album. What a beautiful song.

I liked that song, too. In fact I think it was more or less the only one I liked off that album. I loved his contributions to Of Montreal as he toured with them on the Paralytic Stalks tour. He (along with the drummer who joined then and is still with them) really raised the musicianship level, which has since been improved throughout the group with new musicians elsewhere. In that show, he played several instruments and was a great high harmony singer.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »

Yeah, he definitely seems like a multi-talented guy. I think I know a song or two of Of Montreal's that he plays on, although their discography is pretty decent-sized so I haven't listened to all of their stuff.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »

Yeah, he definitely seems like a multi-talented guy. I think I know a song or two of Of Montreal's that he plays on, although their discography is pretty decent-sized so I haven't listened to all of their stuff.

Yes, Kevin Barnes is pretty prolific, to say the least. Not quite into Prince or Zappa territory, but he gets a lot out there.

I think the only albums he appears on are Paralytic Stalks, which is a somewhat noisy, non-song affair ("Difficult" was the word you heard a lot about it) and this year's Aureate Gloom, which I believe I wrote about in the 2015 thread.

But if I were going to introduce you to Of Montreal, I'd say you should try out the chamber pop/psych The Gay Parade or Coquelicot...; the diving-toward-electronic trio of Satanic Panic in the Attic, The Sunlandic Twins, and Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (a fabulous run of music); and the comparatively straight ahead rock of Lousy With Sylvianbriar. Even just pick one album from each of those three rough eras for starters, and expand outward according to your tastes. I believe Of Montreal is quite possibly the consistently best band in the past 15+ years, so I'd argue it's worth a shot.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »

Ok! Thanks, I'll check those out. I've listened to Skeletal Lamping before. Kinda weird music from a weird band, but it's the good kind of weird Tongue

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »

Ok! Thanks, I'll check those out. I've listened to Skeletal Lamping before. Kinda weird music from a weird band, but it's the good kind of weird Tongue

Skeletal Lamping has its fans, and I do really, really like parts of it. ("Eluardian Instance" is absolutely glorious. And the performance of it on Letterman was fun, too.) But I actually rank it as middle of the pack, more or less.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx