-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Good and Evil
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Good and Evil  (Read 3378 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, other than a place for people yell and shout and ridicule one another, but that's Good and Evil for ya!

So... to kick this turd of-a-thread off...
Basically, as I perused the news today, I came across a few themes.  The Grammy's were "demonic" and the Pope's peace doves were attacked by crows.  The imagery of all this is quite astonishing.  I mean, you really can't create more telling images.  You can't.  Whether it "means anything" is up to you.  But it is fascinating.

Personally... I take this stuff seriously, but not "seriously."  Meaning, I take note.  I'm not blind.  But I don't take it any further than that, because, I can't.  I'm not supposed to.  Unless the clouds open up and the Lord speaks to me like Moses and Noah or whatever -- I'm not gonna pretend I'm Moses or Noah.  That's nuts.  Blasphemy, and all the rest.  Simple put, there's an intellectual-wall us mortals can't penetrate in this world -- and for good-reason I am to assume -- and I can't pretend otherwise.  

That's what I mean.  I'm just a wide-eyed observer -- and all kinds of sht strikes my fancy and sparks my imagination.  So sht like this fascinates me a little.  Not that these images have anything to do with my "beliefs."  Like most humans, I do believe, of course, there's greater meaning out there and forces greater than ourselves.  It would be un-intelligent for me to assume the buck stops with what I can comprehend.  So I just observe, and it stops there.  I can't intelligently comment on things I can't comprehend -- doing so would make me a Democrat or something.   LOL

Anyway... enough about me.  What do you guys think?  Is this the dumbest thread ever?  Could be.  I know this stuff is always out there, but these images were made;  one real, the other staged.  Good and Evil.

(And no, Pinder -- I've never seen the face of Al Gore emerge on the side of a Prius).

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »

your first mistake was perusing the news  Evil

and not a dumb thread at all...... these are questions which have plagued mankind forever and ever.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:46:16 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »

This is an interesting and I serious, though I think unanswerable, topic, kind of like any religion or political philosophy thread. I'm not going to comment on the silliness or marketing around the words good and evil: I think that kind of nonsense is exactly what I called it, silliness and marketing. (It reminds me of the anti-rock evangelical fundamentalists of my 1980s youth, in my opinion more about booking speaking engagements, or in the converse, selling records, than anything else.) But here are my two cents on good and evil themselves.

I believe good and evil exist, but not as objective moral concepts. I believe they are slowly evolving products of human civilization. To be objective, I think there would have to be a law-giving god, in which I do not believe. (Even if there were such a god, we'd have the issue of which one, if any, is real, and how humans would know what its laws dictating good and evil were, in that we get often overlapping, but often different ideas of what constitutes good and evil as we canvas not only different religions, but different sects within religions.)

To be clear, I am not saying there is no evil. For example--to go straight to the big one, as any self-respecting Internetter would--the Holocaust is evil. But it isn't evil based on some supernatural order; rather, it is evil based on what humans jointly and overwhelmingly recognize as appropriate and inappropriate ways to live and treat others in order to participate in a civilized world.

So there you go, my thoughts on the matter.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »

This is an interesting and I serious, though I think unanswerable, topic, kind of like any religion or political philosophy thread. I'm not going to comment on the silliness or marketing around the words good and evil: I think that kind of nonsense is exactly what I called it, silliness and marketing. (It reminds me of the anti-rock evangelical fundamentalists of my 1980s youth, in my opinion more about booking speaking engagements, or in the converse, selling records, than anything else.) But here are my two cents on good and evil themselves.

I believe good and evil exist, but not as objective moral concepts. I believe they are slowly evolving products of human civilization. To be objective, I think there would have to be a law-giving god, in which I do not believe. (Even if there were such a god, we'd have the issue of which one, if any, is real, and how humans would know what its laws dictating good and evil were, in that we get often overlapping, but often different ideas of what constitutes good and evil as we canvas not only different religions, but different sects within religions.)

To be clear, I am not saying there is no evil. For example--to go straight to the big one, as any self-respecting Internetter would--the Holocaust is evil. But it isn't evil based on some supernatural order; rather, it is evil based on what humans jointly and overwhelmingly recognize as appropriate and inappropriate ways to live and treat others in order to participate in a civilized world.

So there you go, my thoughts on the matter.

Agreed. What's more evil than a Nuclear Holocaust?  Evil
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:41 AM »

Mike Love, apparently: at least in some quarters.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:14:11 AM »

The concepts of good and evil are both a creation of man, there seems to be no such thing for any other animal on earth.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »

Mike Love, apparently: at least in some quarters.

LOL

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »

The concepts of good and evil are both a creation of man, there seems to be no such thing for any other animal on earth.

Awareness.  Something uniquely aware about us humans.  Whether we evolved to become aware or were created thusly is perhaps one in the same.  Point is... man creates.  Man created art and music to understand his world and himself.  Are they not real?

If we kept this focused on tangible objects, man's ability to create is unchallenged and very much real.  But with the intangible, that's where things get difficult.  Plato said the idea is more real.  This is easily understood when we imagine creating or drawing something, vs. actually doing it.  And the drawing or creation pales in comparison to what we actually imagined.  The idea was not only better, but more real.  It affected us more.  Moved us.  Was living, malleable and from all angles.

The drawing sucked.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:46:46 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »

I believe good and evil exist, but not as objective moral concepts. I believe they are slowly evolving products of human civilization.
So, when you say Good/Evil is just evolving products of human civilization, isn't that the same property and entity as "whatever the cool kids say?"  Or Populism.

Yes.  That does exist.  And for many, that's all that exists in this realm.  People follow tyrants, for example, because society tells them it's ok.  The Germans accepted Hitler, because it was the way the wind blew.  And he controlled the airwaves.  People accept murder, because they're told it's a woman's choice.  Slavery and illegal immigration because they were good for the economy.

But there's clearly more to it.  There is right and wrong.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: