gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 04:15:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the Corniest?  (Read 5385 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

I know there's already one for songs but what's the corniest video or t.v. appearance you've ever seen from the guys? these two tie for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdwhxyYDXE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:17:56 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »

I know there's already one for songs but what's the corniest video or t.v. appearance you've ever seen from the guys? these two tie for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdwhxyYDXE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0

Jesus wept.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »

Corniest.?  The old fart tryin to rap.. Summer of Poop ! Cool
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

Brian's acting on The New Leave It To Beaver is brilliant compared to his brief skit on SNL.

"The tin woodsman, that was the tin woodsman; I should've asked him for his autograph!"

I couldn't find the full skit, only this screenshot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:18:55 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »

Brian's acting on The New Leave It To Beaver is brilliant compared to his brief skit on SNL.

"The tin woodsman, that was the tin woodsman; I should've asked him for his autograph!"

I couldn't find the full skit, only this screenshot.

I've always wanted to see that clip and can't find it  Sad  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »

I have the entire video, but it's coded with DRM.

I'd be happy to edit it and put up Brian's parts on YouTube if anybody has any ideas on how to get around the DRM.
Feel free to PM me.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgiVWCHeEnY

Brian at the height of his Landy-induced brainwashing
bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »

Gotta be the Latter. The first one isn't too bad, but Brian isn't a very good actor. Plus he doesn't sound right there.

Still, the corniest of the corny with the Beach Boys is their Baywatch appearance!

I like that song. But Brian does look really awkward there, very unnatural
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »

this made me all sad
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »

This recently-uploaded (new to Youtube) live lip-synced version of "Looking Back With Love" deserves a mention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknTlS4R56s
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »

Anything from 'Full House'.

Kokomo, Landy influenced Brian, Mullets, Stamos and Forever, Barbara Ann, The Beach Boys Huddle....the list is endless! Angry
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »

Anything from 'Full House'.

Kokomo, Landy influenced Brian, Mullets, Stamos and Forever, Barbara Ann, The Beach Boys Huddle....the list is endless! Angry

Yes - I almost forgot about the Al Jardine football huddle + Mike Love walking down the beach and awkwardly talking to the camera - both corny gems from "An American Band".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

Why was this video made? It is so cheesy. What "look" was Mike going for - and he revisited it on the 1974 New Year's Rockin' Eve! Do you think Dennis could've made a better attempt at keeping up with Hal Blaine? Not a keyboard in sight for a keyboard-driven song. With all those quasi-go go dancers in those cubicles doing these exotic "moves".... it reminds me of some kind of brothel and the guys anticipating some action. Embarrassing.

http://youtu.be/DJ1UqDnY7as
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »

That Jack Benny skit deserves a mention too. they looked so uncomfortable  Embarrassed

-Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »

Not a video but a TV show. Kraft Music Hall , NBC TV 2/16/69. That was the directors vision, not the bands.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »

Not a video but a TV show. Kraft Music Hall , NBC TV 2/16/69. That was the directors vision, not the bands.

So, somebody wasn't enamored with the Friends or impending 20/20 material, huh?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »

Why was this video made? It is so cheesy. What "look" was Mike going for - and he revisited it on the 1974 New Year's Rockin' Eve! Do you think Dennis could've made a better attempt at keeping up with Hal Blaine? Not a keyboard in sight for a keyboard-driven song. With all those quasi-go go dancers in those cubicles doing these exotic "moves".... it reminds me of some kind of brothel and the guys anticipating some action. Embarrassing.

http://youtu.be/DJ1UqDnY7as

As corny as that California Girls video is, I simply LOVE it. It may be dated, but IMO it's dated in a good way. It just screams mid-1960s, just leaning into the edge of proto-psychedelia.  It's one of my fave Beach Boys live clips ever, actually.

By the way: someone (in the Youtube comments section) states that the video is from 1968, but that date can't be correct, right? 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:32:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »

By the way: someone (in the Youtube comments section) states that the video is from 1968, but that date can't be correct, right? 

Try looking at the post two below yours... which is a polite way of saying, try reading the entire thread before making such a statement.

Alternatively, I could just shrug, say "f*** it" and stop posting accurate dates, as patently no-one takes any notice of them.  Grin

One more time - Kraft Music Hall, NBC TV

2/16/69

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »

Try looking at the post two below yours... which is a polite way of saying, try reading the entire thread before making such a statement.

Alternatively, I could just shrug, say "f*** it" and stop posting accurate dates, as patently no-one takes any notice of them.  Grin

2/16/69

Thanks for the info, AGD  Smiley I missed your previous posting of the date, I didn't realize what it was in reference to since it didn't have my original question quoted.  But wow... while I guess the early 1969 date does make sense (based on the BBs' hairstyles/clothes), it is pretty odd for them to be performing a 4-year old single with that much elaborate stage setup for it (the likes of which I would think would be normally reserved for a new single a band would be promoting). I guess it makes even more sense considering that "new" BB  material at the time wasn't stirring up tons of interest.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:36:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

Alternatively, I could just shrug, say "f*** it" and stop posting accurate dates, as patently no-one takes any notice of them.  Grin

2/16/69

Thanks for the info, AGD  Smiley I missed your previous posting of the date, I didn't realize what it was in reference to since it didn't have my original question quoted.  But wow... while I guess the early 1969 date does make sense (based on the BBs' hairstyles/clothes), it is pretty odd for them to be performing a 4-year old single with that much elaborate stage setup for it (the likes of which I would think would be normally reserved for a new single a band would be promoting). I guess it makes even more sense considering that "new" BB  material at the time wasn't stirring up tons of interest.

Their appearance wasn't just reserved for performing a single from '65, as they also performed their then new single "I Can Hear Music" during the show (Rusten, 2009, p. 32).

References

Rusten, I. (2009). The Beach Boys: Television and film. Endless Summer Quarterly, 21(4), 14-41.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »

2/16/69

Their appearance wasn't just reserved for performing a single from '65, as they also performed their then new single "I Can Hear Music" during the show (Rusten, 2009, p. 32).

References

Rusten, I. (2009). The Beach Boys: Television and film. Endless Summer Quarterly, 21(4), 14-41.

I just looked up this performance on IMDB, and awesome that this same show also included a segment Don Adams (Maxwell Smart); too bad the BBs never did a skit with him. Has anyone seen the "I Can Hear Music" performance? (I didn't see it on Youtube). I can't imagine it would have the same "California Girls" setup with the giant staircases.
Does
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

I thought the appearance from 1969 is pretty cool myself. Dennis must've been in his glory with all those babes bopping nearby.

I've only seen clips of The Beach Boys on "Full House" but never put much stock in them. I realize that for a certain generation, shows like "Full House", "Saved By The Bell", "Family Matters", "Perfect Strangers" etc. were a ubiquitous and cringeworthy presence. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I missed all those and just had "The Brady Bunch"....and no one can convince me that the Davy Jones and Joe Namath appearances were corny. Nope. No sir.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »

I just looked up this performance on IMDB, and awesome that this same show also included a segment Don Adams (Maxwell Smart); too bad the BBs never did a skit with him. Has anyone seen the "I Can Hear Music" performance? (I didn't see it on Youtube). I can't imagine it would have the same "California Girls" setup with the giant staircases.
Does

It's possible that the closest Don Adams ever got to The Beach Boys in this episode was when he stood next to Don Rickles as he (Rickles) introduced the band.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »

Has everyone forgot about their appearance on the Red Skelton show doing The Things We Did Last Summer? Full House doesn`t hold a candle to that slice of forced-at-gunpoint-to-perform Murry Wilson cornbread.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »

This is painful on so many levels.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx