gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:18:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "What Music Did You Buy Today?" Thread  (Read 47501 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »

I'm buying so many records every week that I think I might have a problem Undecided  ...one thing that really annoys me...CUTOUTS! I don't mind when just a simple line is pressed (straight down, like a punch or little clip without removing any of the cover) somewhere towards the top but when they cut a big diagonal piece of the cover away  Angry

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2015, 06:08:12 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2015, 12:48:50 AM »

this thread is turning into photos of people in funny poses Tongue
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:49:59 AM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »

It's cover by who? Don't mean photographer - the artist. Reminds of good ole cat pics by Louis Wain. The crazy era of his works.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »

It's cover by who? Don't mean photographer - the artist. Reminds of good ole cat pics by Louis Wain. The crazy era of his works.

GOAT

World Music is a stupendous album...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »

Thanks, john. Nice to see you're checking bandcamps. Is (t)he(m) on the board or you just found on the Inet?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:50:32 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2015, 05:24:52 AM »

Thanks, john. Nice to see you're checking bandcamps. Is (t)he(m) on the board or you just found on the Inet?

Not quite sure I understand you, but I'd heard a track by the band Goat (on TV) at Glastonbury this year and decided to investigate further. What i discovered was so compelling that I immediately bought their first album, with the Glastonbury track on it...

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2015, 05:55:57 PM »

I have bought an enormous amount of music recently:

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »

I'd like to thank all of you who pay tips for making this possible.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:04:54 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »

Jesus Christ, man! Nice work of late.

If I'm not mistaken, you weren't yet familiar with Wilco when their new album dropped. I take it based on your buying habits that you've at least taken something of a shine to them?

Zappa's Yellow Shark is a great, great album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2015, 04:37:19 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, you weren't yet familiar with Wilco when their new album dropped. I take it based on your buying habits that you've at least taken something of a shine to them?

Yeah, I had never listened to Wilco before for some reason. When Star Wars came out and I liked it, I decided I should check out some of their older albums and then started to read things about Summerteeth that really grabbed my attention. So, I listened to that and discovered I was missing out on brilliant music. That album is sorta weird,  as it seems like the dark horse in their discography. I didn't even know it existed until a couple days ago. I can't recommend that album enough to people that haven't heard it, though. Summerteeth is the encapsulation of everything I would want to accomplish as a musician, and he did it all in one album and moved on. Bastard. Then, I found the song "California Stars" and just decided to check out the rest.

Congrats, Wilco. Your plan worked.

Zappa's Yellow Shark is a great, great album.

I love Zappa as the orchestral composer and I'm excited to listen to it. I listened to a couple of the Uncle Meat tunes on YouTube and really liked those.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:49:21 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:28:47 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »

Summerteeth is where I joined the Wilco express. Wonderful album. Great band. Nice Zappa choices too.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »

Not quite sure I understand you, but I'd heard a track by the band Goat (on TV) at Glastonbury this year and decided to investigate further. What i discovered was so compelling that I immediately bought their first album, with the Glastonbury track on it...
I was saying if the band Goat were consisted of this board's musicians. Given your checking of the Smiley Smilers Who Make Music corner, I'd not be surprised.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »

Here's what I got this week:

In order: Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress by Godspeed You! Black Emperor; Star Wars by Wilco; Universal Themes by Sun Kil Moon; Metamodern Sounds in Country Music by Sturgill Simpson; The Low End Theory by a Tribe Called Quest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2015, 02:51:48 AM »

Really good sale going on over at Omnivore at the moment. Big Star, Jellyfish, Posies, Game Theory and more - http://omnivorerecordings.com/btss/

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2015, 05:17:53 AM »

The Low End Theory by a Tribe Called Quest

Fantastic. Great album. You're getting some great stuff lately.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »

And here's what it is this week:

Under Color of Official Right                      The Seer                                                Light Up Gold                                          Poison Season
by Protomartyr                                        by Swans                                               by Parquet Courts                                    by Destroyer

And now it's time for a buying hiatus.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:15:17 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »

Based on my recent posts in this sub-forum, I am definitely not obsessed with this band... Tongue

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »

The Low End Theory by a Tribe Called Quest

Fantastic. Great album. You're getting some great stuff lately.

I didn't like it much at first because the musical tracks all seemed pretty similar to each other. I'm listening to it a lot now, though - just letting it play on repeat as I drive around. It's a great album, although maybe "the Infamous Date Rape" wasn't a great idea. Most people seem to prefer Q Tip, but Phife Dawg is my favorite.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:58:04 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »

I always put my most recent vinyl purchases in a "sort of" now playing section so looking across the room, the last ones I bought are...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »

(the blue vinyl is gorgeous)
(donated money on bandcamp, does that count?)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:08:12 PM by undercover-m » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2015, 07:33:37 PM »

Today I bought
, and
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »

I bought

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »

Took me long enough to buy Currents. It's usually almost $30 at retailers so I guess that deterred me.
Listening to the Wimps record, Suitcase, now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:56:07 PM by undercover-m » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx