gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:19:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "What Music Did You Buy Today?" Thread  (Read 47486 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »

So hopefully this hasn't been done before, I tried searching and sorting by replies but didn't find anything.

Anyway, how about a thread for posting our most recent physical purchase(s) whether it be vinyl/cd or whatever? so maybe at the weekend or whenever you might go to your local record shop or shop online and buy something and maybe post a picture of the stuff you bought and even the shop (if not online or when it arrives, if online). I buy stuff pretty much every weekend so presume some others do too.

I had a bit of a splurge today which is why I thought about making this thread.

Two from discogs arrived in the post and then I went out and collected 8 records from a website called http://www.recordsale.de/ which has a pick point at a shop called Leila M (not posting pic as its just a pick up point as far I know for recordsale.de) here in Berlin. Germany.

so here is the list for today:

LP: John Hartford,Housing Project
LP: John Hartford,Gentle on my Mind & Other Originals
LP:Harry Nilsson,Knnillssonn:
LP:Slim Whitman,Slim Whitman Sings:
LP:Microdisney,Crooked Mile:
LP:Steve Earle,Exit 0:
LP:Roy Brown,Hard Luck Blues:
LP:The Everly Brothers,It's Everly Time:
LP:Glen Campbell,Wichita Lineman:
LP:The Dubliners,Seven Drunken Nights:

and hopefully the image works...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:57:42 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »

Beans, tomato sauce, beer, and bananas.  nothing else.

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »

I didn't buy anything today, but if it interests you I bought the Spirit of America compilation on iTunes (just for Break Away) last week.
It's not a physical release, but that's all I have right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:47:58 PM by Blue2013 » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »

Nothing today, but yesterday I got Pokemon White for the DS and Sonic Riders for the PS2
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:53:20 PM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »

Come to think of it, I think this thread belongs in the Sandbox!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »

a new pair of stilettos

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »

I spent $12 on a six pack of small tweezers yesterday.

I continue to contemplate my ability to handle expenditures.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »

I actually do like the idea of this thread.

The most recent thing to arrive at my home is Alex Chilton's Free Again: The "1970" Sessions. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I have high hopes for it. He was in between in the Box Tops and about to join Big Star. His writing must have been flourishing. There's even a few interesting covers: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Sugar Sugar."

When I went to an actual record store, I bought a bunch of CDs (I'm afraid my record player doesn't appear to be in great repair).
I bought:

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies & Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Scott Walker - Scott
Lee Hazlewood - Something Special
Big Star - Live
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl/Shut Down Volume 2 twofer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:11:03 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:27:33 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »

Food.

Last music purchase was The Big Beat 1963.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:28 AM »

I actually do like the idea of this thread.

The most recent thing to arrive at my home is Alex Chilton's Free Again: The "1970" Sessions. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I have high hopes for it. He was in between in the Box Tops and about to join Big Star. His writing must have been flourishing. There's even a few interesting covers: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Sugar Sugar."

When I went to an actual record store, I bought a bunch of CDs (I'm afraid my record player doesn't appear to be in great repair).
I bought:

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies & Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Scott Walker - Scott
Lee Hazlewood - Something Special
Big Star - Live
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl/Shut Down Volume 2 twofer

Thanks guys, lots of hilarious replies to work through there  LOL

I'm a huge big star/chilton fan and bought the 1970 release from Omnivore when it came out. While its not up to Big Star standard IMO, its got some really cool stuff on it. I also bought the recent release on bar none of Chiltons "Electricity by Candlelight" which I love though I can see its for obsessives due to rec quality, its got 3 BB covers including "Solar System".

Lee Hazlewood is a guy I have just recently been getting into. I got the LHI years double lp which was beautifully put together by light in the attic. Getting some more Lee soon.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:54:52 AM »

I'm terrible, but the last physical thing for me would be TWGMTR and TSS at the same time back almost two years ago when TWGMTR was brand new. I'm assuming we're limiting ourselves to music.

I bought almost no music between maybe 2006 and 2010 as it was all about the file sharing but I really missed the record shop experience and building a collection. I started just buying vinyl from then on and eh....cant seem to stop now... Cool

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 03:06:09 AM »

I just bought my first pair of glasses today.

They have tonight helped me to better read the back cover notes of a mid 70's Australian Vinyl Edition of The Beach Boys Christmas album that I bought last Sunday - it's near mint, so pretty happy with that.

I gave it a test playing on the weekend, but it was 38 degrees celsius (100 F), so when Frosty came on, it was a bit of a mind-frack.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 03:41:24 AM »

I just bought my first pair of glasses today.

They have tonight helped me to better read the back cover notes of a mid 70's Australian Vinyl Edition of The Beach Boys Christmas album that I bought last Sunday - it's near mint, so pretty happy with that.

I gave it a test playing on the weekend, but it was 38 degrees celsius (100 F), so when Frosty came on, it was a bit of a mind-frack.

Very nice. I got two Christmas albums in December (Smokey Robinson & the Miracles Christmas +  A Motown Christmas double lp) but never got round to listening to them before Christmas was over. Cant bring myself to listen to them now that its January.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »

I'm a huge big star/chilton fan and bought the 1970 release from Omnivore when it came out. While its not up to Big Star standard IMO, its got some really cool stuff on it. I also bought the recent release on bar none of Chiltons "Electricity by Candlelight" which I love though I can see its for obsessives due to rec quality, its got 3 BB covers including "Solar System".

I'm a huge fan, too (if it wasn't obvious Tongue). I haven't gotten around to listening to Radio City yet, but #1 Record and Third/Sister Lovers are indispensable records for me. Honestly some of the best music that's been made. In fact, I just listened to #1 Record today. It's almost like a place I can escape to and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
I love Third/Sister Lovers very much. It's one of the records I listen to most often.

I like Chilton's solo work, too (and "I Am the Cosmos" by Chris Bell is one of my favorite songs; if you haven't heard it - you probably have - it's a wonderful song). I also listened to A Man Called Destruction this morning. It's a fine record, but I can't help but feel like he could have been doing so much better.
I've been waiting to buy Free Again for a while and Omnivore put up a deal during their Christmas sales. Apparently, they found a box of the limited EP they made for "All We Ever Got from Them Was Pain." Has the original mix on one side and a demo version on the other side. With that, I just had to finally buy it.

I've also been trying to find Bach's Bottom and Like Flies on Sherbert for a while. They seem like good, interesting albums, but they're tough ones to find.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:21:07 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »

Lee Hazlewood is a guy I have just recently been getting into. I got the LHI years double lp which was beautifully put together by light in the attic. Getting some more Lee soon.

Yeah, Lee is pretty great.  I'm glad that LitA is putting out the new Lee reissues. I bought the box set they put out not too long ago. The packaging is lovely: there's stories from people who knew him, liner notes for his four albums that are included, bios on all of the artists who were signed to LHI, and the photos are great and plentiful - including photos of LHI's entire discography.
The music is great, also. Like I mentioned, there's four Lee albums plus a decent amount of his unreleased material and all the singles that were released from the period. Then, there's also two other discs of songs from LHI artists, like the International Submarine Band, Last Friday's Fire, Don Randi, a one-off supergroup with Glen Campbell, etc..

Some really cool stuff.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:55:09 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:45:22 AM »

I'm a huge fan, too (if it wasn't obvious Tongue). I haven't gotten around to listening to Radio City yet, but #1 Record and Third/Sister Lovers are indispensable records for me. Honestly some of the best music that's been made. In fact, I just listened to #1 Record today. It's almost like a place I can escape to and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
I love Third/Sister Lovers very much. It's one of the records I listen to most often.

I like Chilton's solo work, too (and "I Am the Cosmos" by Chris Bell is one of my favorite songs; if you haven't heard it - you probably have - it's a wonderful song). I also listened to A Man Called Destruction this morning. It's a fine record, but I can't help but feel like he could have been doing so much better.
I've been waiting to buy Free Again for a while and Omnivore put up a deal during their Christmas sales. Apparently, they found a box of the limited EP they made for "All We Ever Got from Them Was Pain." Has the original mix on one side and a demo version on the other side. With that, I just had to finally buy it.

I've also been trying to find Bach's Bottom and Like Flies on Sherbert for a while. They seem like good, interesting albums, but they're tough ones to find.

You gotta listen to Radio City asap. I find it impossible to pick a favourite between no 1 rec, radio city and sister/3rd. I got the record store day tape box release of 3rd a couple of years back which is fantastic.

I also quite liked the "in space" record from a few years back, kinda like a cross between big star and Chiltons more slack solo approach. I found Bach's Bottom and Like Flies on Sherbert at a record fair/flea market a few years back. I really like BB, "like flies" is one I don't listen to as much though I like it.

Love Chris Bell solo stuff too. I was reading through his lyrics recently and hadn't realised quite how much he was getting into the reborn christian stuff

Have you checked out the "nothing can hurt me" doc yet?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:47:32 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 03:48:56 AM »

Yeah, Lee is pretty great.  I'm glad that LitA is putting out the new Lee reissues. I bought the box set they put out not too long ago. The packaging is lovely: there's stories from people who knew him, liner notes for his four albums that are included, bios on all of the artists who were signed to LHI, and the photos are great and plentiful - including photos of LHI's entire discography.
The music is great, also. Like I mentioned, there's four Lee albums plus a decent amount of his unreleased material and all the singles that were released from the period. Then, there's also two other discs of songs from LHI artists, like the International Submarine Band, Last Friday's Fire, Don Randi, a one-off supergroup with Glenn Campbell, etc..

Some really cool stuff.

Excellent, yep, more Lee stuff is definitely on my list.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »

You gotta listen to Radio City asap. I find it impossible to pick a favourite between no 1 rec, radio city and sister/3rd. I got the record store day tape box release of 3rd a couple of years back which is fantastic.

I also quite liked the "in space" record from a few years back, kinda like a cross between big star and Chiltons more slack solo approach.

Love Chris Bell solo stuff too. I was reading through his lyrics recently and hadn't realised quite how much he was getting into the reborn christian stuff

Have you checked out the "nothing can hurt me" doc yet?
[/quote]

I've been wanting to listen to Radio City for quite some time now, but I haven't really found the right time to do it yet. Same thing with Nothing Can Hurt Me. I've been wanting to watch for a while and it's even on Netflix yet. But, I haven't found the right time to sit down and watch. I definitely plan on getting around to watching it sometime.
That release of Third is pretty cool. You're lucky you were able to get your hands on it.

I've been wondering whether on not I should check out In Space. It seems like reviews are pretty indifferent about it, but, if you say so, I'll give it a listen.

I like Chris Bell's stuff, too. I've only listened to a few tracks here and there (I've got the I Am the Cosmos release from a few years back) and the title song and "You and Your Sister" are fantastic songs. He's definitely under appreciated when it comes to his role in Big Star. He was just as important, if not more important, as Alex in creating Big Star and their sound. Nice to see people are coming around to see that nowadays.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 05:16:31 AM »

I've been wondering whether on not I should check out In Space. It seems like reviews are pretty indifferent about it, but, if you say so, I'll give it a listen.

I love the first song "Dony" - Its got a classic Big Star feel while "Turn my back on the sun" is a cool pop song which recycles the "WIBN" opening. Good bit of filler on the album too.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 11:14:01 AM »

Some people still buy music? Shocked

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »

I would hope everyone who listens does, whether in a physical or digital format. Otherwise s/he is an asshole (and a thief). Most musicians need the money, and all of them deserve it (if you're going to listen to them).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »

Recent vinyl purchases:

Louis Armstrong - in concert 1956
Frank Sinatra - Strangers in the Night
2001 A Space Odyssey soundtrack
Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off

and an Otto Klemperer conducted Beethoven's Symphony No.7 which has yet to arrive.

Recent digital:

Nada Surf - Let Go
Elliott Smith - Xo

and U2's Invisible (free download today) - not very good...I hope the album has better cuts than this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »

I bought a couple of cheap records this weekend

The Walker Brothers: Portrait
The Temptations: A Taste of Honey and other favorites

Arrived just as the shop (Q Tip Records - Berlin) was closing so just grabbed these quickly. Been here a few times though and its a really cool place. Will be back for a better look soon.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:01:51 PM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »

I would hope everyone who listens does, whether in a physical or digital format. Otherwise s/he is an asshole (and a thief). Most musicians need the money, and all of them deserve it (if you're going to listen to them).

Just joking. Geez! Sorry you took it so personally.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx