gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "What Music Did You Buy Today?" Thread  (Read 47483 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:34 PM »

Some people still buy music? Shocked

I would hope everyone who listens does, whether in a physical or digital format. Otherwise s/he is an asshole (and a thief). Most musicians need the money, and all of them deserve it (if you're going to listen to them).

Just joking. Geez! Sorry you took it so personally.

Didn't take it personally at all. Just responding with my opinion.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:26:51 PM by zatch » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »

From Amazon:

Os Mutantes (self titled)

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 01:18:49 AM »

I just buy everything music related off amazon these days unless an ebay or discogs seller can match the price. My end of month payday splurge consisted of

1/ Syd Barrett - Opel.  A couple of stunning performances aside this was mainly a barrel scraping effort.
2/ Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In.   I don't know why it took me so long to get into these guys.
3/ Ken Nordine - Word Jazz.    Interesting but not quite as musical based as I hoped it would be.
4/ (DON'T LAUGH) William Shatner - The Transformed Man.    I'm not sure if this is really good or really, really bad.
5/ Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour.  Going to check this out today.
6/ Genesis - Abcab.  Still in the post and two albums featuring Phil Collins in a row!! Hang my head in shame.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:39 AM »

1/ Syd Barrett - Opel.  A couple of stunning performances aside this was mainly a barrel scraping effort.

I disagree. For what it is, it's quite a good compilation. Great originals include Opel and Dolly Rocker. Also, it's got an excellent version of Dark Globe, and the best version of Clowns and Jugglers (originally released as Octopus).
Throw in Bob Dylan Blues, Rhamadan, and the unreleased Pink Floyd songs Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man, and you've got yourself an album just as essential as The Madcap Laughs and Barrett!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 02:51:08 AM »

Funny the songs that you quoted are the ones that I liked. I also liked Lanky. I much prefer the more 'normal' version of Dark Globe.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »

Since i had the original Captiol Albums box sets I got The Beatles "Yesterday"...And Today CD today, plus I love the packaging of it.

Also finally picked up a CD copy of ZZ Top's Tres Hombres [one with the bonus live tracks] since I've had the LP for ages but lack a record player at uni Sad

Good ol' HMV

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

Jeremy Messersmith's Heart Murmurs. Haven't listened yet but soon will, and am pretty excited.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »

Bo Diddley's Beach Party
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Metric - Synthetica
Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Paul McCartney - McCartney II
New Order - The Singles
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Buddy Holly - Gold
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 03:51:18 AM »

Last Weekends Haul -

3 Miracles/Smokey via discogs

Other 3 via Coast to Coast Records - https://www.facebook.com/CoastToCoastRecordsBerlin?ref=stream&filter=2

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »

Picked up a couple of things this weekend. Most interesting to all of you would probably be the Spring LP. The sleeve has some wear, but the disc itself is pristine. Paid a little more for it than I would have liked, but this was at a store that caters to collectors, so he knew what he was selling.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

Nothing yet, but I've got $4.86 left in iTunes credits burning a hole in my virtual pocket...

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »

INXS-Kick

Massive resurgence here in Australia.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:07 AM »

Picked up a couple of things this weekend. Most interesting to all of you would probably be the Spring LP. The sleeve has some wear, but the disc itself is pristine. Paid a little more for it than I would have liked, but this was at a store that caters to collectors, so he knew what he was selling.

Amanda Hart scores again!!! LOL You live in some kind of BB collectors Eldorado, the stuff you come across. Nice find, v envious - such a great album and would be rather a treat to hear on vinyl.

I today chanced upon the Japanese 1975 vinyl pressing of Summer Days (which I'm listening to now) - while no biggie I'm sure, I did find some mirth courtesy of the translation losses on the accompanying lyric sheet.

I know it's hardly new/s for many (there's even a dead thread here (and I'm guessin' a blog or website somewhere coverin' the followin'), but here's a quick couple of favs;

Salt Lake City; "And the way the kids, tuck so cool,  is an out of sight thing - and the number one, Male fishin' makes the, town really slick, Yea"

Amusement Parks; "at first you'll be a chicken after jerkin' a ride"

Cal Girls - "I've been all around this cryptin' world"

Next up - an 80s untitled pressing of Hollywood Dream by Thunderclap Newman
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:59:10 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 06:05:47 AM »

Amanda Hart scores again!!! LOL You live in some kind of BB collectors Eldorado, the stuff you come across. Nice find, v envious - such a great album and would be rather a treat to hear on vinyl.

I today chanced upon the Japanese 1975 vinyl pressing of Summer Days (which I'm listening to now) - while no biggie I'm sure, I did find some mirth courtesy of the translation losses on the accompanying lyric sheet.

I know it's hardly new/s for many (there's even a dead thread here (and I'm guessin' a blog or website somewhere coverin' the followin'), but here's a quick couple of favs;

Salt Lake City; "And the way the kids, tuck so cool,  is an out of sight thing - and the number one, Male fishin' makes the, town really slick, Yea"

Amusement Parks; "at first you'll be a chicken after jerkin' a ride"

Cal Girls - "I've been all around this cryptin' world"

Next up - an 80s untitled pressing of Hollywood Dream by Thunderclap Newman

Eh, it's just mostly obsessive searching, and making friends with the store owners so they'll know what you'll like. I haven't had a chance to spin it yet, but with the additional 5" of snow we got yesterday, I'm expecting most of my clients to cancel today, so I might find myself with free time.

Those translations are a riot, btw
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »

Bought two new albums today:

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »

Cool, I got the gatefold of this (UAS-5571) a few years back but it sadly (along with a lot of other stuff) got water damaged while I was away on holiday. On the bright side I bought the American Spring Plus (see for miles) LP with some of the insurance money.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 05:59:23 AM »

I got this last weekend, love the album and once again an amazing job from the light in the attic guys

bought from my excellent local record store dodobeach.de

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:35 AM »

4/ (DON'T LAUGH) William Shatner - The Transformed Man.    I'm not sure if this is really good or really, really bad.

Really good.  Cheesy
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:35 PM »

I've been listening to the Deluxe Village Green I just got in the mail.

Who's singing on this alternative version of Village Green. It sounds like it could be Dave, but might be someone else. Pete???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ulCNQ4JwS4
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »

Really good.  Cheesy

Yes I've played it several times since, it's a classic.

I just got this in the mail.

It's a mixture of poetry set to BBC Radioworkshop effects and pagan style folk, that schools used to play for children to dance to in drama/music lessons in the 1970s/80s. It's an acquired taste I'm guessing.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »

Who's singing on this alternative version of Village Green. It sounds like it could be Dave, but might be someone else. Pete???

No it's still Ray. I believe they first cut it in 1966 during the ...Something Else days. I think this may be that version, does the cd contain any info on it Gabo?

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

No it's still Ray. I believe they first cut it in 1966 during the ...Something Else days. I think this may be that version, does the cd contain any info on it Gabo?

He sounds so nasally. Yeah I know. It was recorded during the same session as Two Sisters in November 1966 (the orchestra was overdubbed in February 1967).

I find it strange how the song is so little known. IMO it's just as good (if not better) than the likes of Waterloo Sunset and You Really Got Me. Easily one of the best Kinks songs. Maybe it's the subject matter?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:21:33 AM by Gabo » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 04:21:02 AM »

Picked up I Bet On Sky by Dinosaur Jr and Live The 50th Anniversary Tour by The Beach Boys the other day. I still buy CDs.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 02:36:09 AM »

While not today, I bought Bob Dylan's Tempest on CD a couple of days ago. I had heard it before on release on the internet, then I just ignored and forgot about it for a while I guess.

I like how Dylan sounds like he's transforming into Tom Waits.   LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx