gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:07:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The DJ's  (Read 9741 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »

This was a little bit after The Beach Boys' heyday, but it's a commercial for a 1967 short-lived TV show called Malibu U, hosted by Rick Nelson:

http://youtu.be/dG4i3nK8NVs

The Doors appeared on the show, and it's a unique appearance because Jim Morrison was not present for the taping. If you look closely, they used a double from behind, rumored to be Robby Krieger's brother:

http://youtu.be/_gIse-7krOQ

Here is some footage of Jim taping his part after-the-fact:

http://youtu.be/lwOiy_JNBRs
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »

Astounding stuff full of memories and questions.. I wont be able to post anything till Thursday cause I have stuff to take care of today.. Music stuff.. Thank you guys SO MUCH for the thread and pics etc.. Lets keep this going a little longer .. I have Questions.. Grin.. All you guys are top notch + Informative.. THX
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »

HELLO.. Hope you are all still here.. Question}  The premier of GV like I said I did see that but all I remember is BW + 2 other people which I later learned the guy with the hat was Mike Vosse.. What I don't remember is if they showed a video during premier but I think they did.. Why ? Because in the 60's I remember 2 videos that I saw ONE time and never saw again.... Till American Band video in 80's.. 1} BW solo Surfs Up On Leonard Bernstein Special... 2} I saw the full video of the Fireman// firehouse  video and never saw it again.. So im assuming it had to be that show.. So question is: Was that the official video for GV..? Im confused because in American band video they went + put different songs to some videos..  Its been along time  Grin
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »

This stuff is more along the lines of DJ thread.. That Top 30 chart was awesome to see and jogged memories.. Back in those days I knew NOTHING about Billboard + Cash box charts etc.. To us  KHJ charts were it.. So if it was a hit here it was a hit everywhere In USA.. Well that's not always the case I learned later.. Or maybe it didn't chart as high somewhere else.. KHJ and our little transistor radio's + buying 45rpm singles is what we all bought to learn songs to play in our little bands..  KHJ was really hip and played songs that were not getting airplay elsewhere.. Case in point.. Little Black Egg The Night  Crawlers.. If you had a little band you played that song.. REQUIRED.. Another one Hey Joe The Leaves.. Big hit out here and everyone played it.. Hendrix came out with his 2 years later and we thought he ruined the song. Shocked Listen to intro of Byrds  Feel A Whole Lot Better.. Almost exact same intro as Leaves Hey Joe.. That KHJ top 30 survey has a lot of hip things that didn't hit big nationally . The Merry Go Round.. Yellow Balloon The Seeds.. NGDB..  Great stuff..!!  I know it helped to be in the center of the Music Bussiness.. Back then AM wasn't conservative ..And the DJ's were all stars.. And it was nice to see Charlie Tuna with real hair in that pic.. A life long BB supporter ..
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »

Meanwhile - Back on the East Coast:

(From a recent exchange of e-mails)

Hey Rolf,

Merry Christmas!

Do you remember the winter of 1967?

We were cruising one Saturday in your Alpha Romeo. WGLI had a mobile van parked somewhere, I think it might have been in West Islip or North Babylon. We went there to check it out. The DJ was interviewing the members of a new British band that had come over. When one of them said his name was Ginger I remember you repeating the name "Ginger," like oh brother!

And then I remember wandering the streets on New Years Eve. I'm sure Gary was with us, maybe Chris. We went to visit my cousin Barbara, who was babysitting.

T

Tony,

I remember it well. I've rehashed it many times in talking with others about my favorite bands, concerts, etc. We were actually in my parents 1966 tan Olds F-85 and we drove down to WGLI in N. Babylon over Thanksgiving vacation. The Marine Corps had a Toys for Tots drop off going on at the station and "The Cream" were playing outside in the cold to all of the 35 or so of us there. I remember Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker talking to the few who hung around after their set. Also remember Ginger Baker's snakeskin boots. I don't think it was but 3 weeks later when "Fresh Cream" was released and Julio G... couldn't stop dancing to "Sunshine of Your Love."  If I remember correctly, Gary, Doug, you and I were there. Do you recall the second act? A white Ford van side door opened and a black guy in a metallic green luminescent leisure suit jumped out and started singing. Because of the suit my memory wants me to think it was Al Green? 

Also remember going to your house and being in your basement listening to Vanilla Fudge with your cousin Barbara there. She rehearsed a cheerleader or dance routine for us that she had to perform in a couple of days and I was twiterpated! Didn't she live in Half Hollow Hills or somewhere like that? I think she was going out with Bob B... who lived on Bedel Street a block up across from Gary? I remember thinking if she broke up with him I'd be willing to stand in line.

I can't remember where we started out on the The New Year's Eve we walked around looking for beer, women and Nirvana, but I do remember winding up at your house with headphones on listening to "Good Morning" on the Sargent Pepper Album.

Hope all is well and that 2014 is a great year!

Rolf 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »

Comments on Groovy photos.. Ah Memories !  You have jogged my memory.. I thought beach stuff was for 2 years but after lookin at date on KHJ survey I realized it was 1 year but 2 summers..  That KHJ top 30 survey is dated 3-22-67.. NGDB did Buy For Me The Rain on a sand dune winter spring 1967 .. WE used to go to Santa Monica every weekend and I learned how to surf there .. We would get there 7am and surf till 10am .. Then surfin wasn't allowed except near the pier.. KHJ would come down and film there and sometimes during the week in summer also.. it was a very popular show and you mentioned games they played.. One was human pyramids in the sand which I participated in many times.. Great fun + a little dangerous..! Bands played on Sand Dunes back away from the water  but they would make the crowd stay back where Michael Blodgett was....  NGDB.. Bob Lind.. Standells.. Allman joys.. Roy Head.. The Byrds  Tommy Roe.. Seeds.. Most of the artists on 9th st west + Hollywood ago go.. did the beach thing.. After the show went inside less guests more music videos..  When I was on that show in the back ground on the beach I was in 9th grade + 10th grade.. Question tho to Guitar Fool.. Are those pics of the KHJ truck and beach flocked..?? Turned around.. Groovy show was filmed on the south side of the pier.. Your pics show north side of the pier.. Groovy show was filmed south side of pier same area known as muscle beach.. Still in Santa Monica.. Muscle Beach was an area near the board walk where they weight lifted .. Gym equipment.. Volley ball nets.. wrestling   mats..  Also the large building in the back I think.. Is the old merry go round..
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx