gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:19:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian recording 1/23 with Matt Jardine  (Read 15078 times)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:59 AM »

Thanks for dropping by Matt!  I am very happy that you are involved and would have loved to be a fly on the wall for those studio sessions.  I hope much of your contributions make the final product.  At the 7 seven live shows I have attended that you performed on, your vocals have been a highlight for sure.  Love your voice!  I'm getting excited for this album, whatever it is!  At any rate it is a real pleasure to have an insider and Beach Boy family member stop by!  Don't be a stranger.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »

Hello all,
I thought I should post & clarify some points here. Got a call from BW management asking me if I was available to sing in the studio with Brian. I spent the past 3 days putting down lead & backing guide vocals on 8-9 tunes. Hopefully they'll keep some of my work but I do know others will sing over what I put down. They're fleshing out new tunes & they are very good, catchy songs. You will be thrilled & surprised. Scott was in for a day working on a tune & it was Brian, Blondie & me the other two days. This is studio work folks & apparently Jeff was not available for this little stretch. It happens & is not a big deal. Brian sang really well, better than I've heard him sing in awhile, was in good spirits & he was assigning me parts on the fly while I was in the vocal booth. Blondie sounds absolutely amazing &, strangely enough, we have a great vocal blend together. It was a very positive experience overall. I believe Dad, aka Al, will be in the studio with Brian in Feb fyi.

Every word in that post made me Smile!!!

Matt is a true talent AND a class act!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2014, 08:40:59 AM »

Maybe Mike just reflects whatever the music is like. On Today! his lyrics are perfect for the music, and that is usually the case when he adds lyrics after Brian starts a song. So maybe the circumstances just haven't really been right since Brian started collaborating with people other than Mike.

Like who? Bob Norberg? Gary Usher? Roger Christian?

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »

<<It's unreal that, arguably, two of the greatest songwriters of the 60s (who are in the same band, no less) couldn't even write one damn song together for an album.>>

Well, they did write "Beaches In Mind" from scratch, with Joe Thomas of course. And "Isn't It Time" was just a rhythm track with no melody or lyrics until Brian and Mike and Joe started working on it toghether.

But yeah, I agree with your point.

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »

Didn't Brian give Mike the title "Beaches in Mind" to work from? Not exactly an ideal slate for masterpiece making.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »

Didn't Brian give Mike the title "Beaches in Mind" to work from? Not exactly an ideal slate for masterpiece making.
But its Mike doing his thing..... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »

Thanks Matt, a classy guy.  I suppose we should just ask you, Matt, if we may, and if it is something possible or viable to discuss: what are the chances (and is there any movement toward it) that your Dad and Brian (with Dave involved) are asking Mike and Bruce to come in and "make this a BB record"? I sense that your Dad wants this in his heart. Or , of course, if this one is not "the new BB record," will the next one be?

On this list, our love for the group and our hopes for as much unity and reunion as possible often sets our minds and hearts aflame with confusion, speculation, dread, and anticipation, usually with little to go on. We love your dad so much.
congratulations of your work and thank you for all you do to ensure the BB legacy.

The Professor
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:12:18 AM by the professor » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

At this point in time, this sounds like a GIOMH type album (with guest cameos). Matt describes them as "catchy songs". What I'm interested in seeing is the "Rock & Roll Spectorish" album he's been promising for years. Hopefully he's in the studio now with enough material for at least two albums.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2014, 11:18:06 AM »

I am excited for the album without M&B. Their voices will be missed but Brian is better without them bringing their "fun in the sun" baggage.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »

Real question -- why would Matt be cutting "guide vocals" when Brian and Blondie (and Scott) are in the studio? All of them can lay down final tracks. So who are those vocals meant to guide, exactly?

I don't necessarily believe it, but the sense that another BB record might be in the works is growing ...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »

Real question -- why would Matt be cutting "guide vocals" when Brian and Blondie (and Scott) are in the studio? All of them can lay down final tracks. So who are those vocals meant to guide, exactly?

I don't necessarily believe it, but the sense that another BB record might be in the works is growing ...

It's probably easier for them to learn. They can rehearse and use the guides as a reference point. Joe Thomas said that Jeff Foskett laid down guide vocals for all the BBs on much of TWGMTR in 2012.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Matt J
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »

I sang guide vocals on some tunes. Other tunes had no vocals & we put down harmonies to add meat to the song along with a scratch lead vocal so Brian & Joe can listen to it.  Building as they go but changes will be made as the songs evolve. Some tunes were in demo form still ( now with very nice harmony bg parts) & others were in a more finished state. Always fun to work with Brian in the studio & he was enjoying the hang time while work was in progress. Blondie, who remembers me from when I was 5, was a pleasure to work & sing with & has such an incredible voice. I hope the tunes with his lead vocals makes the album. So so cool & so Blondie. Awesome vibe! Very productive & very intense 3 days of studio time.
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »

Jeff isn't available-----that's odd.
Isn't he the only "Brian Wilson Band" member on retainer?

police
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »

I sang guide vocals on some tunes. Other tunes had no vocals & we put down harmonies to add meat to the song along with a scratch lead vocal so Brian & Joe can listen to it.  Building as they go but changes will be made as the songs evolve. Some tunes were in demo form still ( now with very nice harmony bg parts) & others were in a more finished state. Always fun to work with Brian in the studio & he was enjoying the hang time while work was in progress. Blondie, who remembers me from when I was 5, was a pleasure to work & sing with & has such an incredible voice. I hope the tunes with his lead vocals makes the album. So so cool & so Blondie. Awesome vibe! Very productive & very intense 3 days of studio time.

Amazing stuff. Thanks for dropping by, Matt. Can't wait to hear the songs.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

Thanks Matt.

RickB
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

Hey, I gotta say I'm super stoked that Matt Jardine has been working with Brian.

I mean how could you not respect a guy who had the guts to wear a tucked in neon tank-top while also wearing Zubaz pants? Or the tucked in Hawaiian shirt/jean shorts combo? Stylish. Not to mention the sweet ponytail and the fact that he was knockin' some bongos around. Gutsy.

Nah, but seriously, really good vocalist. And I really wouldn't mind hearing his falsetto instead of Jeff's on some of the album (unless of course Brian himself does them himself).

But most seriously, I'm glad to see that Blondie seems to really be playing a part in Brian's new album. So cool to see. Who would've imagined even a year ago that Blondie Chaplin (!) would be back in the studio working with Brian on what seems to be a few cool tunes.

Whatever the album ends up being though, I just hope it's not disjointed and all over the place. Personally I think it would be really smart to center it around Brian, Al and Blondie's vocals. Vocally I think those should be the only people on leads. Obviously Brian will get most, as it's his album, but I think it would be cool if Al got like 3 or 4 and if Blondie got 2 or 3. I guess we'll see though.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »

Thanks for posting, Matt.  Looking forward to hearing your contributions.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »

Matt, thanks for taking the time to post - always appreciated; can't wait to hear the goods!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »

Yeah, thanks Matt for the infos! This project gets more and more interesting to me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2014, 03:58:43 AM »

Matt, I hope a good amount of your work is left intact… your voice has been missed recently…

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2014, 02:20:20 AM »

Thank you for the insights, Mr. Jardine. And I like your falsetto. Smiley

"Isn't It Time" was just a rhythm track with no melody or lyrics until Brian and Mike and Joe started working on it toghether.

And it turned out to be the IMHO second best song on the album! The most catchy one anyway.

It's a bummer that Mike and Bruce won't be on the record (because damn Bruce's vocals were great on TWGMTR), but it is what it is.

So were Mike's vocals, IMHO his best vocals since "Holland".

Guys like Christian Love and Matt Jardine bewilder me. Why would they spend their lives performing covers of their fathers' hits?

I could very well imagine myself spending my life performing covers of Christian Love's and Matt Jardine's fathers' hits, but I don't think my voice is good enough for that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:21:21 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »

Guys like Christian Love and Matt Jardine bewilder me. Why would they spend their lives performing covers of their fathers' hits?

No idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sps6w-VcyYE

Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx