gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 10:41:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spanish Kokomo  (Read 2041 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »

Does anyone know the story behind recording the Spanish version of Kokomo, and how Brian got involved with that version of the song?

In case you haven't heard it, here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYGw46nJXdA
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:25:39 PM by Matt H » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I prefer it to the English version. Carl sounds incredible. Great to hear Brian as well on it, and he's very noticeable.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:05:07 PM by Mayoman » Logged
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I prefer it to the English version. Carl sounds incredible. Great to hear Brian as well on it, and he's very noticeable versus the English version.

Yes, Brian's much more noticeable on the Spanish vs English version. One reason may be because he's not on the English version at all.  Smiley
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I prefer it to the English version. Carl sounds incredible. Great to hear Brian as well on it, and he's very noticeable versus the English version.

Yes, Brian's much more noticeable on the Spanish vs English version. One reason may be because he's not on the English version at all.  Smiley
Oh I knew that, was just saying that having Brian there elevates the song a bit, even with his late 80s voice.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »

Say what you want about the original lyrics, but the Spanish ones suck big time. To make things worse, they pronounce the "c" before an "e" or "i" as they do in Spain, which is annoying as hell everywhere except in that country. As far as I know, this is a rarity even in Spanish-speaking countries.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

They should have released a double-sided 45 of "Kokomo (Spanish Version)" b/w "Ganz Allein"... and maybe throw in a brief hidden track of just the Japanese lyric parts in "Sumahama".

Call it "Beach Boys Sing Around the World"  Grin

But seriously folks, I can't hear Brian on this Spanish "Kokomo" version (maybe my ears are failing me today). Can someone point out a timecode where he's clearly audible?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:58:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »

But seriously folks, I can't hear Brian on this Spanish "Kokomo" version (maybe my ears are failing me today). Can someone point out a timecode where he's clearly audible?
0:57-0:59 is most definitely shouty Brian.  Similar sections thereafter seem to reveal the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:18:20 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »

0:57-0:59 is most definitely shouty Brian.  Similar sections thereafter seem to reveal the same thing.

I totally thought that shouty part was Al at first listen. But I guess you're right!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:15:08 AM »

Say what you want about the original lyrics, but the Spanish ones suck big time. To make things worse, they pronounce the "c" before an "e" or "i" as they do in Spain, which is annoying as hell everywhere except in that country. As far as I know, this is a rarity even in Spanish-speaking countries.

I always had a hard time understanding what are they singing, and Spanish is my main tongue. Oddly, it sounds like Carl had a different coach than the rest: he's singing like he's coming from Spain.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

I have raised the question several times on this board and have still not received any answers. If Brian was stopped from being on Kokomo for Landy unless Gene was given a production or co-writing credit (accrording to Mike Love in Endless Harmony), why was he allowed to be on the Spanish version.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »

I have raised the question several times on this board and have still not received any answers. If Brian was stopped from being on Kokomo for Landy unless Gene was given a production or co-writing credit (accrording to Mike Love in Endless Harmony), why was he allowed to be on the Spanish version.

That is a big part of why I asked the question.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »

Consider this possibility, one which I feel has merit:

no-one knows.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »

"No one knows" seems the best bet.

But i'd imagine that because the BBs showed that they could have a hit #1 single without Brian, Landy's bargaining position was weakened, and it would benefit Brian and his profile to be on the Spanish version (cut at a later date?).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx