gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:24:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #23 Winner: The Trader  (Read 53235 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »

Steamboat def should have been higher but at least the best song got the number 1 spot. Those harmonies in the second verse are fuggin' DIVINE.

No mas, por favor.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 21, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »

Very happy about the way this turned out! I think the order was pretty on point, except I'd place steamboat and beaks of eagles higher.
As someone who's relatively new to this album, I think Steamboat is an amazing track -- very likely my favorite from this album. Such a unique, dreamy sound and then that stinging guitar at the end -- plus those cryptic, very atypical lyrics that keep me returning to it over and over.

I'm curious about all the love for Trader. Like another poster said earlier, there are things I like about it, but on this great album it wasn't an obvious standout for me. I'd love for someone to explain what grabs them about that song.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »

Very happy about the way this turned out! I think the order was pretty on point, except I'd place steamboat and beaks of eagles higher.
As someone who's relatively new to this album, I think Steamboat is an amazing track -- very likely my favorite from this album. Such a unique, dreamy sound and then that stinging guitar at the end -- plus those cryptic, very atypical lyrics that keep me returning to it over and over.

I'm curious about all the love for Trader. Like another poster said earlier, there are things I like about it, but on this great album it wasn't an obvious standout for me. I'd love for someone to explain what grabs them about that song.

Steamboat is an incredible song - as Jon Stebbins says in his book, it's Dennis carrying on what Brian started with SMiLE - however, I do think The Trader is the best track on the album.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 28, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

Did anyone else notice that the 3 finalists were also the 3 Holland tracks included on Made In California?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »

It's less accomplished than any of the Smile era songs. Nice enough, but it doesn't have amazing hooks like Vegatables or the spine tingling melody of Wind Chimes, for example. It's also clearly an early 70s song.

The Trader is one I don't get it. Maybe people are just rooting for Carl here. It's a dull one.

Steamboat is an incredible song - as Jon Stebbins says in his book, it's Dennis carrying on what Brian started with SMiLE - however, I do think The Trader is the best track on the album.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx