gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:05:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Nilsson/John Hartford Cover  (Read 1083 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »

I got a free trial of some new music software so to test it out (tech note: I know, too many clips and too much noise!) recorded this. Its two songs by two of my favourite songwriters combined together (Harry Nilsson - Turn On Your Radio) and (John Hartford - Turn Your Radio On)...so I guess you can see how they might work together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC3xxpK3dcc&feature=youtu.be

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »

Hey Mike,  Very Good.  Sounds a bit filtered through The Beatles (white album) sound.  I think it's the guitars adding that flavor.  Great vocals too.  I was just commenting elsewhere on how professional a lot of these clips sound.  Are you doing this on a computer set-up?
I'm a Nilsson fan, but also big on country and country-rock.  Love John Hartford, but my favorite version of "Turn Your Radio On" is on Chris Hillman's Desert Rose long-player.  Sung by Chris and Herb.  If you like this religious/bluegrass/rock, then you should check out Ever Call Ready, a band Chris put together in 1985 with: Bernie Leadon, Al Perkins, David Mansfield and Jerry Scheff.  Of course, Chris has done a lot of this kind of music on most of his records over the years.
peace,  Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:27:08 AM »

Hey Mike,  Very Good.  Sounds a bit filtered through The Beatles (white album) sound.  I think it's the guitars adding that flavor.  Great vocals too.  I was just commenting elsewhere on how professional a lot of these clips sound.  Are you doing this on a computer set-up?
I'm a Nilsson fan, but also big on country and country-rock.  Love John Hartford, but my favorite version of "Turn Your Radio On" is on Chris Hillman's Desert Rose long-player.  Sung by Chris and Herb.  If you like this religious/bluegrass/rock, then you should check out Ever Call Ready, a band Chris put together in 1985 with: Bernie Leadon, Al Perkins, David Mansfield and Jerry Scheff.  Of course, Chris has done a lot of this kind of music on most of his records over the years.
peace,  Will

Thanks Will, yeah just recorded on a pretty crappy old laptop which I spent a lot of money "souping up" when I should have just bought a new one.

I actually just discovered John Hartford about 6 months ago and I absolutely ADORE his stuff particularly everything up until Aereo-Plain. He really needs his own thread in the General Music Discussion.

I'm usually pretty good at finding music on the internet but there is not a trace of "Ever Call Ready" music that I can find online. Seems to be a few cheapish vinyl copies though so I might grab one. Cant find the Chris version of "Turn Your Radio On" either  Sad

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx