gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:15:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daryl Dragon and Toni Tennille divorcing  (Read 18705 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »

It's been a while since I was last here - was out of the country for a while, in an area where internet was intermittent and generally of dialup speed at best.  I wish I could start a thread happier than this one.

Since it concerns two former members of the BBs backing band (one of whom was twice asked to be a member, IIRC from posts here), I'd say it's on topic.

Captainandtennille.net, the duo's official site, announced this morning (the 21st) that last Thursday - ten months short of 40 years since they wed - Toni Tennille filed papers in an Arizona court to end her marriage with Daryl Dragon.  The state court website in Arizona confirms it.

The Captain and Tennille have been rather inactive professionally since Daryl came down with a form of Parkinson's nearly five years ago, and I see at a forum devoted to A&M artists that somebody posted - hopefully, I guess - that Toni was doing it to help Daryl get around medical expenses. But there's no indication at their site that that is the reason.  This still has not shown up on entertainment sites, not even on TMZ yet, so there's been no reporting at all to explain what's happening. 

In any event, sad news to me at least. 
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »

An update: the National Enquirer became the first media outlet to pick this up,

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/captain-tennille-divorce-shocker

but says when a representative for C&T was contact, got a no comment.  But putting either Dragon or Tennille in the search at

http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/caselookup.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

brings it up.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »

This afternoon the news of Daryl and Toni's divorce hit the news websites, with all the expected variations in the headlines on Love (Couldn't, Won't, Didn't, etc) Keep Them (or Us) Together.  But TMZ.com made some headway in getting to the bottom of the matter.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/22/captain-and-tennille-divorce/

The site's reporters were able to reach Daryl, who said: "I don't know why she filed. I gotta figure it out for myself first." He further noted that Toni had not moved out of their house.  (Someone posting on an FB group devoted to The Captain & Tennille says she's out of town right now.)

TMZ also examined the divorce papers, and reports that they have "special mention of health insurance coverage."  It has been indicated before that Daryl's Parkinson-related condition has been producing financial difficulties for him and Toni - in 2011 they were forced to sell their old house in Prescott, Arizona at a loss, and moved into a smaller one.  So it could be that medical costs are one factor forcing the split. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »

That's kind of f***ed up. Granted I don't know the whole story but that's the time you're supposed to stick together to get out of trouble. Unless its a seperation to keep the bills separate.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

That's kind of f***ed up. Granted I don't know the whole story but that's the time you're supposed to stick together to get out of trouble. Unless its a seperation to keep the bills separate.

While I'd rather keep this thread from getting Sandbox-bound, it is worth mentioning that if one puts "couples," "divorce," "healthcare" in Google, it turns out that in the last year or so a lot of couples have explicitly cited health costs as a factor forcing them to split. 

The Captain & Tennille were never known for being involved in the political arena - the closest they came to that was their famed performance in Gerald Ford's White House before the Queen and Prince Philip - but if this is really the reason for Toni filing papers this could be quite the symbolic football in the coming American elections. In the world of popular music - or entertainment, period - you won't find too many couples that have stayed together as long as them. 
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »

TMZ also examined the divorce papers, and reports that they have "special mention of health insurance coverage."  It has been indicated before that Daryl's Parkinson-related condition has been producing financial difficulties for him and Toni - in 2011 they were forced to sell their old house in Prescott, Arizona at a loss, and moved into a smaller one.  So it could be that medical costs are one factor forcing the split. 

Medical costs are probably not forcing the split, unless Toni is receiving bad financial advice.  California has alimony.  If Daryl cannot make a living and cannot afford health insurance, Toni will likely be required to provide at least some support for him. The Affordable Care Act may help in this case, as Daryl would be able to buy health insurance, even though he has a preexisting condition. However, health insurance undoubtedly does not pay all of his medical costs.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »

Medical costs are probably not forcing the split, unless Toni is receiving bad financial advice.  California has alimony.  If Daryl cannot make a living and cannot afford health insurance, Toni will likely be required to provide at least some support for him. The Affordable Care Act may help in this case, as Daryl would be able to buy health insurance, even though he has a preexisting condition. However, health insurance undoubtedly does not pay all of his medical costs.

Well, though Daryl and Toni married in California as I recall, they haven't resided there in a long time.  They were in Washoe County, Nevada, for years, then moved to Arizona about 2007.

One thing worth remembering is that Daryl, brilliant musician and arranger though he is, didn't write songs.  Toni is a quite accomplished songwriter - "Do That To Me One More Time" and "The Way That I Want To Touch You" are among the C&T hits she wrote and are on all their compilations, so that provides ongoing income.  In interviews over the years, the couple always emphasized that they were careful about investing their earnings, and had enough to live comfortably in their old age. But those interviews were given before Daryl came down with his condition.

Anyway, Toni seems to be the only person who could explain the why and wherefore of the split and she hasn't been heard from. 
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »

If Daryl's medical bills have made them broke, maybe their famous and wealthy friends can help them out by doing a benefit show for the, (of course they could also just give them money, but maybe Daryl and Toni would be too proud to take an outright gift).
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »

While waiting for further clarification about this divorce I've been playing some C&T tracks on YouTube.  I'd forgotten that they had a song of Bruce's on almost all of their albums.  The Love Will Keep Us Together LP had two - "Disney Girls" and "I Write The Songs."

(Indeed, theirs was the very first released version of "Songs," though David Cassidy was the first to put it out on 45 a few months before Barry Manilow.  I've read that Daryl got word that Cassidy was recording it and tried to talk A&M into releasing his and Toni's version as C&T's first 45, but the label was certain LWKUT was the better chance for a hit.)

I see from Wikipedia that on their fourth album C&T recorded "If There Were Time," by Bruce....and Rod McKuen.  Never knew that Historical and the man who once was the world's best-selling poet had written something together.  With McKuen, you never know if something of his is going to surprise you and turn out to be pretty good. (After all, he did compose the punk-rock anthem "Blank Generation" - Richard Hell pretty much just added new words to Rod's '58 single "The Beat  Generation.") So I guess I'll see about tracking that down sometime.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:41:01 PM by rn57 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »

What medical bills would they have? Daryl suffers from a neurological condition, but he is not hospitalized. He probably takes a couple of pills a day. I would hope he has some prescription drug insurance. Now, in a couple of years...

It's hard to believe The Captain & Tennille haven't had a hit single since 1979. Daryl is almost always seen wearing that cap. The Captain doesn't know why his wife filed for divorce, while Toni continues to reside - with Daryl! Bizarre. You'd almost think they were part of The Beach Boys! Shocked
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

I really thought Daryl was on his way out. I'm glad he's still with us of course, but last I heard his prognosis was/is bleak. When called on the phone by a reporter, he said he was blindsided by this, he doesn't know anything about it, and has to figure it out himself why she's filing for divorce. I just can't believe a woman as nice as this is divorcing a guy that supposedly has a terminal ailment. Isn't she going to get everything in his will anyway when he dies? Maybe she knows what's in his will and she isn't in it so she's making sure she gets some of it! That can't be it. Or maybe he messed around, but that can't be it either. He's not an alcoholic/druggie either. Wow. It's just mind boggling that a woman would divorce a guy that's sick - you know, love in sickness and health and all that - especially at this age (71?). Why not just get sleep in separate rooms in the house?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »

You really take the cake, Mikie

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »

Well bgas, Mikie has a point. What he, and others are saying is WTF? Muskrat Love it ain't. The dude is really sick.

Just a sad situation all the way around.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »

Agreed, ORR. Mikie's blunt, but he's right.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:15 PM »

As regards Daryl's condition, pace Mikie, I've never seen it referred to as terminal, even when it was thought to be Parkinson's (of course, I'm not up to speed on all things C&T), and if what's been printed about him not wanting to be seen in public is true, that could understandably be a major strain on any relationship.

Bruce & Rod - "If There Were Time" is something Bruce demoed back in 1978. Not sure he & McKuen ever collaborated on it any more than Alan collaborated with Jeffers on "The Beaks Of Eagles", but again, I don't know the specifics.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:07 AM »

As regards Daryl's condition, pace Mikie, I've never seen it referred to as terminal, even when it was thought to be Parkinson's (of course, I'm not up to speed on all things C&T), and if what's been printed about him not wanting to be seen in public is true, that could understandably be a major strain on any relationship.

Bruce & Rod - "If There Were Time" is something Bruce demoed back in 1978. Not sure he & McKuen ever collaborated on it any more than Alan collaborated with Jeffers on "The Beaks Of Eagles", but again, I don't know the specifics.

Come to think, I believe back in the '70s I saw a poem titled "If There Were Time" in one of the many collections McKuen published, so I guess that Bruce was giving it a musical setting. 

Meanwhile, since TMZ.com posted the news, the story has just exploded all over the web.  When Questlove from The Roots feels obliged to Tweet about the breakup, you know that a deep emotional chord's been struck, and not just in people old enough to have watched C&T's variety series back when it was on.

And I've got the feeling that down at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, they're hoping that an explanation will surface that has nothing to do with the costs of Daryl's treatment.   It would be pretty heavy if the President were called on at a press conference to discuss that.  Heck, it could even lead to him being forced to explain just where he stands on "Muskrat Love."

(A song which is divisive as ever.  Its Wikipedia entry shows this has always been thus, but fails to note that some pundits in the film biz are currently convinced that Anchorman 2 grossed "only" $150 million instead of twice that because "Muskrat Love" was on its soundtrack.  Some people just have that kind of reaction to it. In that respect it makes something as oft-reviled as "Afternoon Delight" look as universally popular as, say, "Paperback Writer" or "Hey Ya."

Speaking of the tune's writer and original performer, Willis Alan Ramsey  -  The one blessing I've seen come out of this hubbub is that in the comments to Yahoo News's article on the split I finally learned the answer to something I've wondered about for years.  Ramsey did meet C&T some years back, when he went to one of their shows.)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 03:49:01 AM »

What medical bills would they have? Daryl suffers from a neurological condition, but he is not hospitalized. He probably takes a couple of pills a day. I would hope he has some prescription drug insurance. Now, in a couple of years...

I won't pretend to know anything about Daryl's illness or Daryl and Toni's current medical insurance plans, but I do find it very interesting that this is occuring in January...coinciding with a change to the medical plans of almost everyone in America...and I can say that with my own 2014 plan, I pay the total cost of EVERYTHING until my deductible is met sometime later this year...and I can also say that the cost of some prescription meds is staggeringly high...

Food for thought.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »

Muhammed Ali has it. Michael J Fox has it and is very active. I can understand it if Daryl doesn't want to be seen in public with his condition. But he never really was an upfront showman anyway. He's very reserved and preferred to take a back seat and give Toni the limelight. I thought they were pretty much retired (or semi-retired) anyway. They went from living in L.A., up to Virginia City, then they moved to Prescott, Arizona about five years ago. Haven't heard about them doing any gigs in a few years. A few years ago I e-mailed their secretary, who relayed questions I had for Daryl about songs he wrote with Dennis for the Carl & The Passions album. He was very gracious and they got back to me very quickly. Hope Daryl hangs in there - he's got a good musical family to fall back on for support.

So it's hard for me to believe.  This was a couple that always seemed to be very much in love and it inspired their music.  But schtuff happens.....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:41:46 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »

Most puzzling aspect is that it seems Daryl knew nothing about it until they called him for a comment. Bitch of a way to find out.  Sad

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

Daryl is old enough for Medicare. Maybe Toni is not into caring for him and wants her life back. They have no kids to pick up the slack so it might be hard for her.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »

Muhammed Ali has it. Michael J Fox has it and is very active. I can understand it if Daryl doesn't want to be seen in public with his condition. But he never really was an upfront showman anyway. He's very reserved and preferred to take a back seat and give Toni the limelight. I thought they were pretty much retired (or semi-retired) anyway. They went from living in L.A., up to Virginia City, then they moved to Prescott, Arizona about five years ago. Haven't heard about them doing any gigs in a few years. A few years ago I e-mailed their secretary, who relayed questions I had for Daryl about songs he wrote with Dennis for the Carl & The Passions album. He was very gracious and they got back to me very quickly. Hope Daryl hangs in there - he's got a good musical family to fall back on for support.

So it's hard for me to believe.  This was a couple that always seemed to be very much in love and it inspired their music.  But schtuff happens.....

Michael J. Fox has sure battled it with courage and in a public way.  But Ali's case is different. For a quarter-century he stayed as active as ever.  He gradually cut his efforts to speak to a minimum, but he was still as omnipresent as he was in his heyday.

But for the last six or seven years - as it happens, pretty much from the time his museum opened in Louisville - Ali's tended to be reclusive.  The only times you seem to see him in public now are at the funerals of his old opponents in the ring and he seems to look thinner, wispier, grayer every time he's photographed.   For better or worse, Daryl chose the path of stepping out of the limelight.  

And when he did that, Toni's showbiz career dwindled down to a concert appearance or two a year.  And the thing is, she had a career quite separate from her work with Daryl for decades, like her nationwide tour starring in the musical Victor/Victoria in the late '90s.  Giving it up to take care of him wouldn't have been easy.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhn9pQt5B5M

The current news has led me to look again at some of the dozens of C&T YouTube videos.  The above especially tickled me.  It's their second and last #1 hit from 1979, not that well remembered now because it wasn't the #1 single of the year like their first hit.  Daryl is cap-less - for a year or two, he ditched the headgear, grew a mustache, and faced the camera with a hairdo not dissimilar from that of the late Robert Goulet in that era.  

During this period, Toni went platinum blonde and went for the all-out Marilyn look.  Except Marilyn's legs didn't quite go on for a couple hundred miles.  (There are several clips from this time where she wears an almost crotch-level skirt and Daryl looks as if he'd like a bazooka at hand to use on some members of the audience. Hard to blame him.)

Best of all, you learn from this clip what Lisa Simpson's music teacher was doing before he got his gig at Springfield Elementary.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:00:10 AM by rn57 » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »

Daryl is old enough for Medicare.

Yes, but in some cases private insurance probably pays more. Or having both types of coverage might pay for all of a certain type of medication.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:36:44 AM »

Daryl is old enough for Medicare.

Yes, but in some cases private insurance probably pays more. Or having both types of coverage might pay for all of a certain type of medication.
There may be some benefit for Daryl and it may not be what it seems.  (c-man you seem correct on this.)

(And, the less said the better.) I wish them both well.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:32 AM »

If they are looking into the future and Daryl ending up permanently in a nursing home, Medicare would only pay for a short stay (something like 30 days) then the rest is the responsibility of the patient until they essentially have no more money (Toni could keep the house), then Medicare steps back in.  I don't know how much money they have, but it could be used up very quickly.  Divorcing him and splitting their assets allows Toni to keep half of what they've saved, then Daryl would use up his half until that was gone and then Medicare would pick up the rest.

I have an uncle who is looking to divorce his wife for exactly this reason.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »

If they are looking into the future and Daryl ending up permanently in a nursing home, Medicare would only pay for a short stay (something like 30 days) then the rest is the responsibility of the patient until they essentially have no more money (Toni could keep the house), then Medicare steps back in.  I don't know how much money they have, but it could be used up very quickly.  Divorcing him and splitting their assets allows Toni to keep half of what they've saved, then Daryl would use up his half until that was gone and then Medicare would pick up the rest.

I have an uncle who is looking to divorce his wife for exactly this reason.

Not sure which is the more dispiriting: that someone has to contemplate such a move, or the system that puts them in such a position.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx