gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:29:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q&A with Brian on Facebook, January 27th  (Read 19030 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

Pharrell beat Mike Love to the room to write with BW....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 03:47:59 PM »

Brian genuinely just posted this:

Could some modern sweet young dude enlighten us old farts? Who's the guy in the inflatable Baden-Powell hat?

“We live in divisive times.”
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

He sang on "Get Lucky" with Daft Punk... His name escapes me...

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »

His name is Pharrell Williams
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »

Heck, Pharrell Williams, Jay Pharoah - I can't keep track of these kids with their nutty names. 

Give me Pharoah Sanders and Sharon Farrell anytime.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

Heck, Pharrell Williams, Jay Pharoah - I can't keep track of these kids with their nutty names. 

Give me Pharoah Sanders and Sharon Farrell anytime.

Pharrell Williams is his actual name.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »

Pharrell wasn't that bad on The G's last night. Did they say he had 7?  One of the few artists who wasn't auto-tuned into submission.  I have Never seen Country Music on Robot Patrol before, and then she won for the song!  Also Pharrell was  one of the few I didn't fast forward through (I DVRed it just in case, and was smart to do so).
As with most of the acts and award winners, I'd never heard of she/ him/them or the bands he/they were with.  Robert Lamm looked just irritated, but it was nice to see Chicago get some attention.  Best award of the night was Nirvana with Paul, that really is better than anything on his new, New.
That show was a painful experience...oops, wrong thread.
Read on Smilers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:46:47 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »

A couple of thoughts and a question after reading the answers and questions on here

-about Brian's fav DW song being San Miguel, it totally makes sense! Being that he used the melody on his unreleased song from Sweet Insanity: Someone To Love...perhaps, at the time he might have thought since it didn't get originally released on an album (10 Years of Harmony being a greatest hits comp that included a few bonus tracks), nobody would notice the usage of it on his second proposed solo album.

-My other thought is about Brian mentioning Sail Away being a song on the new album....now this could be one of many things: a cover of Randy Newman's Sail Away (quite possible with it being on one of his favorite albums), a rendition of the Styx song (highly doubtable but never say never when dealing with BW), another version of Van Dyke Parks' Sail Away (which Brian sang lead on a little under 20 years ago on VDP's Orange Crate Art), or it's a totally new song by Brian. So who knows.

-how long was he on Facebook?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »

-how long was he on Facebook?
Maybe a little under a half hour.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »

In an issue of Mojo magazine back in May/June, there was an article that mentioned that there is only one track (no name mentioned) that is not an original. It says it is the first song Brian learned to sing that he learned from his grandmother. Things could have changed since then but if not, Sail Away should be an original.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »

In an issue of Mojo magazine back in May/June, there was an article that mentioned that there is only one track (no name mentioned) that is not an original. It says it is the first song Brian learned to sing that he learned from his grandmother. Things could have changed since then but if not, Sail Away should be an original.

That song being "Danny Boy," perhaps?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »

I believe the non-original they were referring to turned out to be Danny Boy.

I think a lot has changed about this project since it was first announced. Wouldn't surprise me if Punkinhead was right and this turns out to be a cover of Newman's song...in fact I'm kinda hoping it is!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gohi
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »

Sail Away and Last Song fill me with much more excitement than Run James Run.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »

I believe the non-original they were referring to turned out to be Danny Boy.

I think a lot has changed about this project since it was first announced. Wouldn't surprise me if Punkinhead was right and this turns out to be a cover of Newman's song...in fact I'm kinda hoping it is!
I hope so too! I think 'Sail Away' would work perfectly in Brian's 'Life Suite'.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »

I hope so too! I think 'Sail Away' would work perfectly in Brian's 'Life Suite'.

As great a song as it is, Lyrically a song about tricking Africans into becoming American slaves seems an odd fit for a "Life Suite"

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2014, 05:05:47 AM »

Meh...I like Randy Newman and the album Sail Away but the title song doesn't do much for me. But, if Brian likes it, well....But, more covers on a Brian Wilson solo album?...sigh...

Regarding the Facebook questions/answers, Brian continues to show that he really doesn't have MUCH to say. 
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:25 AM »

a rendition of the Styx song (highly doubtable but never say never when dealing with BW)
Highly doubtable indeed, but there is in fact a link: BW and Styx used to share a drummer.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »

a rendition of the Styx song (highly doubtable but never say never when dealing with BW)
Highly doubtable indeed, but there is in fact a link: BW and Styx used to share a drummer.

The name of the Styx song is "Come Sail Away", and I'm sure Brian wouldn't cover that song.  Not his style at all...too much rawk guitar.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »

The name of the Styx song is "Come Sail Away", and I'm sure Brian wouldn't cover that song.  Not his style at all...too much rawk guitar.
Oh ok, I've honestly never know that song very well, but it was used greatly on one of the first episodes of Freaks and Geeks...I honestly don't know much of anything about Styx...didn't even know if it had two x's or one.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »

Oh ok, I've honestly never know that song very well, but it was used greatly on one of the first episodes of Freaks and Geeks...I honestly don't know much of anything about Styx...didn't even know if it had two x's or one.

That's one of my favorite scenes from any tv show.

If Brian covered 'Come Sail Away' and made it the first track on Pleasure Island, I wouldn't be an unhappy man Cheesy

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

Freaks and Geeks.. Love

I don't care if the song is Styx or Newman or new original-BW.. Cool I'm simply looking forward to more solo output by Brian, since I love 96,35% of his solo output so far. 'Even' In The Key of Disney. Such a cool record!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »

Are we talking about the same BeeDub who just toured with Jeff Beck!?!?! LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »

As great a song as it is, Lyrically a song about tricking Africans into becoming American slaves seems an odd fit for a "Life Suite"
Yeah, I agree.  That just would not work.  I want Brian singing upbeat rockers.  I'm ready for the Rock-n-Roll record.  If he wants to pay tribute to Randy, my first choice would be "I Love L.A."
It has a good Beach Boys energy.  In fact similar to "It's A Beautiful Day"  Other good choices:  "It's Money That I Love," or go all out and give "Lonely At The Top" a try.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

Yeah, I agree.  That just would not work.  I want Brian singing upbeat rockers.  I'm ready for the Rock-n-Roll record.  If he wants to pay tribute to Randy, my first choice would be "I Love L.A."
It has a good Beach Boys energy.  In fact similar to "It's A Beautiful Day"  Other good choices:  "It's Money That I Love," or go all out and give "Lonely At The Top" a try.
Yeah, you guys are right. I didn't really think about it at first.

Still, I would love to see Brian cover 'Sail Away', but not apart of the "Life Suite".
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:15:22 AM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »

I want to hear Brian tear into "Rednecks"!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx