gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:19:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q&A with Brian on Facebook, January 27th  (Read 19104 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »

Aw, he's done.  Cry

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »

Actually some very nice questions asked and answered.

That Mike and Bruce picture somebody just posted on his page is rather random: https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson#!/photo.php?fbid=10200907762411150&set=o.34250497240&type=1&theater
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »

It's over already . .  Tongue
(But they say they'd do it again.)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

So we got two new song titles from the new album/sessions: "Last Song" and "Sail Away."

They sound very 'Life Suite'- esque. Wink

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »

It's over already . .  Tongue
(But they say they'd do it again.)

Didn't have my questions answered but that was fun. Lots of good questions.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »

Short, but not bad. Some pretty interesting things came out of that.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »

Yeah that turned out much better than I thought it would have. Congrats to all you that got questions in to be answered.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »

"Hi Brian. Just wanted to know, years from now, what would you like your legacy to be?"
"That I was a good singer"

"Hi Brian, Which song from Rubber Soul inspired you the most to create Pet Sounds?"
"Yeah, Norweigean Wodd"

"Hi Brian! Throughout your musical career, what questions do you get tired of answering? What question do you want someone to ask you, and what is your answer to that question?"
"I get most tired of "how do you feel?""

"What do you feel is the absolute best song that you've ever written?"
"God Only Knows."

"Hi Brian, what is your most favorite Dennis‘ song? (besides Forever). Thanks"
"My favorite was San Miguel. It was a great record."

"What are your 3 favorite "Brian Wilson" songs (don't count songs marketed as "Beach Boys" song)?"
"Caroline, No and, let me think, probably I Loves You Porgy."

"Hi Brian! Friends is my favorite album, one of my favorite tracks from the album is "Wake The World" can you tell me the inspiration for this track. Thank you!"
"One by one, stars appear (sings). It's one of my favorite songs - it really is. I loved singing it."

"Hey Brian, thanks for all of the wonderful music over the years. After all of these years, is there anyone you want to collaborate with that you've never worked with?"
"No, not really, no."

"Hi Brian, which Beach Boys album would you say was your favourite and why?"
"Well, my favorite is SUmmer Days and SUmmer Night because it had cool rock and roll songs"

"Hi Brian, what was the most challenging song of yours to arrange and sing harmonies for?"
"Good Vibrations - I really worked hard on that with the guys. I just wanted to make a great record -and I did!"

"Is there any similarity between the songs on your new album to your previous works like Friends and Sunflower?"
"Well just the harmonies are similar, yeah"

"What is your favorite Sonny Bono song?"
"Yeah, my favorite is the beat goes on."

"What is your general reaction to last night's Grammy show...performamces and winners?"
"No I didn't watch it but I understand Paul and Ringo were on it. Taped it I haven't watched it yet. I heard Paul and Ringo were great."

"Also, what's your favorite food?"
"Sushi. I havent had it for awhile"

"Hi, Brian! I'm from Japan. If you could return to past, when and what would you want to do?"
"I would not take drugs. No one should take drugs"

"What is your favourite instrumental that you've written?"
"Let's go away for awhile is my favorite"

"What is your favorite song ?"
"My favorite song is Be My Baby by the Ronette"

"What are your thoughts on the Friends album? To me thats one of the unheralded late 60s classics.. that and Wild Honey.."
"Yeah, and my favorite song on it was Friends"

"Hi Brian! Who or what was your inspiration for "I'm Waiting for the day" ? It's my favorite song on Pet Sounds!"
"No, not really"

"Almost two years after it was launched, what's your opinion on "That's Why God Made The Radio"?"
"Yeah, I like that song a lot. And Pacific Coast Highway and From There to Back Again. Very much so."

"What do you think about Mr. Al Jardine?"
"I think he's a great singer and a good music guy. He wrote some good tunes."

"Hi Brian. How does it feel to be so awesome?"
"I don't know - I cant answer that question"

"Hi Brian.... Will you ever do an album with Paul Mc Cartney?"
"No I don't think so, but you never know"

"Brian--I heard that you wrote more than one song with Burt Bacharach, (aside from "What Love Can Do") will we ever be hearing any thing else from the two of you, and can you say what influence Burt has had on you as a songwriter?"
"Not very much actually. I love his music and he did teach me something about harmonies"

"are there any modern/more recent songs you're fond of?"
"I liked Take My Breath Away. A group called Berlin"

"Hi Brian, I'm curious as to whether or not you're able to read or write sheet music. Do you, or did you ever use sheet music to instruct the musicians in your sessions on what to play, or did you just teach them everything by ear or using the piano?"
"Yeah, I write out manuscript music and sometimes at the piano"

"Who was the inspiration to your bass lines?"
"Phil Spector"

"Hi Again, Friend--
"I Was Made to Love Her" (Wild Honey) makes me wish that the Beach Boys and Stevie Wonder could have collaborated on something. Did you ever have the chance to work with Stevie? (It's never too late!!)
--Love Ya!"
"He is one of my favorite music guys, Stevie Wonder"

"Hi Brian - you ROCK!! I am wondering about the song Busy Doin' Nothing. It has an odd-for-Brian-Wilson bossa nova influence. The song also has odd-for-Brian-Wilson time signature fluctuations. I was wondering if you were listening to any bossa nova records at that time, or any jazz."
"Yeah, bossa nova in general inspired that"

"The story goes that when you first heard "Strawberry Fields Forever" you felt weakened by it. Has any song in the past ten years made you feel that way again?"
"No, that's not true. It was a very weird record, but yeah, I liked it."

"I know how much you like doo wop and how much it influenced you, What's your favorite doo wop song?"
"Yeah, it did - it turned me onto writing songs and harmonies. It very much influenced me."

"Hi Brian !! How long did it take you to write, wouldn't it be nice?!!!"
"I took me about two weeks"

"Do you still meditate?"
"No, I stopped meditating. It stopped working!"

"Hello again Brian! Do you plan to work with Daft Punk?"
"You never know"

"Hi Brian, what kind of music do you listen to these days ?"
"I listen to oldies and goodies - 60s and 70s"

"Hi Brian, I was wondering what are your recollections of working with Leon Russell on a handful of Beach Boys albums... He seems like a nice guy, great musician too!"
"He was my keyboard player - GREAT keyboard guy"

"Hey, Brian. What Beach Boys song (or songs) can you think of that you believe doesn't get as much attention as it should?"
"The Little Girl I Once Knew should've been"

"The Munsters or the Addams Family?"
"Addams Family - I don't know, I just do."

"Have you ever thought about writing a classical piece?"
"No I wouldn't be able to."

"Was "Surfin'" already written before you and the guys visited Hite and Dorinda Morgan at Stereo Masters?"
"No, it was written shortly after them."

"What do you think of some of the newer artists saying you are their inspiration or covering some of your songs?"
"See there you go - how does it make you feel! It makes me feel proud."

"Brian, what do you recall about meeting Dean Martin, and are there any particular Dino songs that inspire you?"
"Yeah, I met Dean Martin at a White House Party in 1984. They were very nice to me."

"Brian, who was your favorite Beatle? (as a songwriter)"
"Paul McCartney"

"Hi Brian, what really inspires you these days, musically and sentimentally? I wish you all the best and let you know I cannot express what your music means to me, so just THANK YOU!"
"The past records that we made and my wife"

"Who was you favorite baseball team as a kid?"
"Yankees"

"I've heard you're a Dodgers fan. What's your favorite Vin Scully moment?"
"Yankees. Because of Mickey Mantle. I played center field in high school"

"Hi Brian, did you and Jeff Beck write any songs together for your next album?"
"Jeff didnt' write with me - he's playing on them."

"Hi Brian, do you listen classical music?"
"No, I really don't."

"Hi Brian. What was the last concert you attended where you did not perform?"
"Yeah, Paul McCartney - great show"

"Brian - I think Lucky Old Sun is the GREATEST album I've ever heard!! - Thanks for it!!!!"
"Oh, great - thank you very much!"

"What was your favorite part about running the Radiant Radish Health Food Store? What was your biggest seller?"
"The cash register - I learned how to do it."

"are there any songs..you think you could of done better on?"
"Help Me Rhonda - I would've made a better rhythm - it wasn't in the pocket"

"Surfer girl is a great song, what do you like about that one?"
"I was in my car and drove home and that song inspired me. No, it wasn't When you Wish upon a star."

"Brian– Sorry to post three questions in a row, but do you ever see Hal Blaine these days?"
"No, I havent' see Hal in a long time"

I'M SO HELPFUL RIGHT
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:21:13 PM by Judd » Logged

G.C
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »

"What are your 3 favorite "Brian Wilson" songs (don't count songs marketed as "Beach Boys" song)?"

"Hi Brian! Friends is my favorite album, one of my favorite tracks from the album is "Wake The World" can you tell me the inspiration for this track. Thank you!"
"One by one, stars appear (sings). It's one of my favorite songs - it really is. I loved singing it."

"Hey Brian, thanks for all of the wonderful music over the years. After all of these years, is there anyone you want to collaborate with that you've never worked with?"
"No, not really, no."

"Well, my favorite is SUmmer Days and SUmmer Night because it had cool rock and roll songs"

"Hi Brian, what was the most challenging song of yours to arrange and sing harmonies for?"
"Good Vibrations - I really worked hard on that with the guys. I just wanted to make a great record -and I did!"

"Is there any similarity between the songs on your new album to your previous works like Friends and Sunflower?"

"What is your general reaction to last night's Grammy show...performamces and winners?"
"No I didn't watch it but I understand Paul and Ringo were on it. Taped it I haven't watched it yet. I heard Paul and Ringo were great."

"Hi, Brian! I'm from Japan. If you could return to past, when and what would you want to do?"

"What are your thoughts on the Friends album? To me thats one of the unheralded late 60s classics.. that and Wild Honey.."

"Hi Brian! Who or what was your inspiration for "I'm Waiting for the day" ? It's my favorite song on Pet Sounds!"
"No, not really"

"Almost two years after it was launched, what's your opinion on "That's Why God Made The Radio"?"
"Yeah, I like that song a lot. And Pacific Coast Highway and From There to Back Again. Very much so."

"Brian--I heard that you wrote more than one song with Burt Bacharach, (aside from "What Love Can Do") will we ever be hearing any thing else from the two of you, and can you say what influence Burt has had on you as a songwriter?"
"Not very much actually. I love his music and he did teach me something about harmonies"

"Hi Brian, I'm curious as to whether or not you're able to read or write sheet music. Do you, or did you ever use sheet music to instruct the musicians in your sessions on what to play, or did you just teach them everything by ear or using the piano?"

"Phil Spector"

"Hi Again, Friend--
"I Was Made to Love Her" (Wild Honey) makes me wish that the Beach Boys and Stevie Wonder could have collaborated on something. Did you ever have the chance to work with Stevie? (It's never too late!!)
--Love Ya!"

"Hi Brian - you ROCK!! I am wondering about the song Busy Doin' Nothing. It has an odd-for-Brian-Wilson bossa nova influence. The song also has odd-for-Brian-Wilson time signature fluctuations. I was wondering if you were listening to any bossa nova records at that time, or any jazz."

"The story goes that when you first heard "Strawberry Fields Forever" you felt weakened by it. Has any song in the past ten years made you feel that way again?"

"I know how much you like doo wop and how much it influenced you, What's your favorite doo wop song?"
"Yeah, it did - it turned me onto writing songs and harmonies. It very much influenced me."

"Do you still meditate?"

"You never know"

"Hi Brian, I was wondering what are your recollections of working with Leon Russell on a handful of Beach Boys albums... He seems like a nice guy, great musician too!"

"Hey, Brian. What Beach Boys song (or songs) can you think of that you believe doesn't get as much attention as it should?"

"Was "Surfin'" already written before you and the guys visited Hite and Dorinda Morgan at Stereo Masters?"

"What do you think of some of the newer artists saying you are their inspiration or covering some of your songs?"

"Brian, what do you recall about meeting Dean Martin, and are there any particular Dino songs that inspire you?"
"Yeah, I met Dean Martin at a White House Party in 1984. They were very nice to me."

"Paul McCartney"

"Hi Brian, what really inspires you these days, musically and sentimentally? I wish you all the best and let you know I cannot express what your music means to me, so just THANK YOU!"

"Yankees"

"No, I really don't."

"Brian - I think Lucky Old Sun is the GREATEST album I've ever heard!! - Thanks for it!!!!"

"What was your favorite part about running the Radiant Radish Health Food Store? What was your biggest seller?"

"I was in my car and drove home and that song inspired me. No, it wasn't When you Wish upon a star."

"Brian– Sorry to post three questions in a row, but do you ever see Hal Blaine these days?"

I'M SO HELPFUL RIGHT

Thank you!
Gohi
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »

Let's not quote that post anymore, please.  LOL
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

This one?

"No, not really, no."

"No, not really"

"Phil Spector"

"Hi Again, Friend--
--Love Ya!"

"Do you still meditate?"

"You never know"

"Paul McCartney"

"Yankees"

"No, I really don't."

I'M SO HELPFUL RIGHT
G.C
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »

This one?

"No, not really, no."

"No, not really"

"Phil Spector"

"Hi Again, Friend--
--Love Ya!"

"Do you still meditate?"

"You never know"

"Paul McCartney"

"Yankees"

"No, I really don't."

I'M SO HELPFUL RIGHT

sorry!
Gohi
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »

This one?

"No, not really, no."

"No, not really"

"Phil Spector"

"Hi Again, Friend--
--Love Ya!"

"Do you still meditate?"

"You never know"

"Paul McCartney"

"Yankees"

"No, I really don't."

I'M SO HELPFUL RIGHT
Naw, different one.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »

He would have mixed California Girls differently? Wow,

Not that surprising, he has said on more than one occasion that it is his least favorite BB vocal effort and that Mike "rushed it a bit"
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »

So we got two new song titles from the new album/sessions: "Last Song" and "Sail Away."

They sound very 'Life Suite'- esque. Wink
(Assuming that Brian is referring to the Randy Newman song) I'm really excited for 'Sail Away'! I've always wanted him to perform that song. I think It would fit great with the 'Life Suite'.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 02:19:40 PM »

If I had woken up an hour earlier, I would have asked Brian a question. Damn It!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »

If I had woken up an hour earlier, I would have asked Brian a question. Damn It!

And I'm sure it would've been a pleasure for Brian to read had you come up with something as disturbing as your Justin Bieber post.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »

Interesting that of the questions he answered, the two albums most discussed - three q&as each - were PS....and Friends. 

Noticed Love You didn't get an answer.

His choosing the Addamses doesn't surprise me.  You just know Lurch's (actually Vic Mizzy's) harpsichord playing gets to him.  (Though I still wanna know what his fave Mission: Impossible ep is, or where he stands on Cinnamon vs Dana vs Lisa.)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »

Brian says San Miguel is his favorite Dennis song. Interesting.

All the more puzzling why this track wasn't on Made in California...
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »

Brian genuinely just posted this:

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

His photoshop skills are getting better!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »

And I'm sure it would've been a pleasure for Brian to read had you come up with something as disturbing as your Justin Bieber post.

Actually, I was going to ask him if he plans on an Australian tour with Al, David and Blondie.

And I suggest you go back to the Today's Mainstream Music thread, and you can see that I admitted to going too far
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »

I bet VDP is already seething with rage  Cheesy
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »

Nice work Judd, appreciated.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

Nice work Judd, appreciated.

No prob. Smiley

LOL

Shocked

wait you're serious

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx