gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:05:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Bob Dylan top 10  (Read 7528 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »

Albums
1 Blood on the Tracks: just so much good stuff, no filler; even my least favorite song on it ("Meet Me in the Morning") is an awesome tune
2 Blonde on Blonde: probably the Dylan album I "respect" the most; it also has a bunch of his best tunes and best imagery
3 Nashville Skyline: what an awesome vibe this one has; his voice is sweet as honey; the songs are beautiful
4 The Basement Tapes: the vibe on this one is unbeatable; and his lyrics are bafflingly great (and I love the stuff from The Band as well!)
5 Slow Train Coming: committed to the material like hardly anyone I've ever heard, some really nice melodies too; "I Believe In You" and "When He Returns" are excellent
6 Hard Rain: easily his best live album; great live versions of "I Threw It All Away", "Shelter from the Storm", "Stuck Inside of Mobile..." and "You're a Big Girl Now"
7 Time Out of Mind: I almost consider this a successor to Blood on the Tracks since it conveys it's mood so well; but mostly just great songs overall
8 "Love And Theft": "Mississippi" alone merits it's inclusion, but mostly I just love the vibe; "Moonlight" is a great song as well
9 Bringing It All Back Home: any album with "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" has gotta be on here; the acoustic side on here is unbelievable
10 John Wesley Harding: really does feel like a code that is hard to crack, but you keep going back hoping to; his lyrics on this one are truly great

Songs
1 "Every Grain of Sand": beautiful melody, beautiful harmonica work, classic Dylan vocal and some of his best lyrics
2 "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts": seriously feels like a movie to me while listening; it's that vivid!
3 "Mississippi": I don't even know how to describe; the fact that even nearly 40 years into the game that he had something this deep, this meaningful, its insane
4 "I Believe In You": you can really feel how deeply he feels about what he's singing; no one could accuse him of faking it here
5 "One More Cup of Coffee": a great story, great vocals, and the classic Desire-era sound; wouldn't mind if a few more unreleased tunes from these sessions pop up
6 "Billy 1": I just think his voice is in top form; the production is great and I think he shines on this ballad; classic Dylan
7 "Make You Feel My Love": what I take to be a real ray of light shining through a lot of darkness of Time Out of Mind
8 "Changing of the Guards": some of his most cryptic lyrics; and I myself really like the band (of course if they coulda been recorded better...)
9 "Tell Me That It Isn't True": probably my favorite tune off of Nashville Skyline, his voice seems so nice on this
10 "To Be Alone With You": I know, it seems light, but it's just so smooth and nice; not everything Dylan does has to be super analyzed
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 01:12:35 AM »

Albums in no particular order:

Blood on the Tracks
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
Street Legal
Nashville Skyline
Desire
New Morning
John Wesley Harding
Self Portrait

Bubbling under - the 'unofficial' Infidels, Time Out of Mind and Oh Mercy
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »

Dylan is too awesome for me to attempt a top 10 albums but I will say m FAVORITE of his albums are the following.  All of them tied for number 1  Smiley 

John Wesley Harding
Blonde on Blonde
Desire
Love and Theft
Blood on the Tracks
Bringin' it All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Tempest
Infidels
Oh Mercy!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »

Just listening to Bob's Cold Irons Bound.  And I am once again struck by just how much he sounds like Popeye the Sailor singing this song.  Don't agree?  Just go listen and you will hear.

(And this is one of my current fav Dylan tunes)

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »

C'mon!   Popeye or Not?
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »

wish I found this thread earlier, missed it.
Long time Dylan fan here
1. Blood On the Tracks
2. Highway 61 Revisited
3. The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
4. Blonde On Blonde
5. Modern Times
6. Infidels
7. Bringing It All Back Home
8. John Wesley Harding
9. Slow Train Coming
10. Desire

jet without wings
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 05:04:44 AM »

1. Blonde on Blonde
2. Infidels
3. Blood on the Tracks
4. Slow Train Coming
5. Highway 61 Revisited
6. Shot of Love
7. Oh Mercy
8. Empire Burlesque
9. Saved
10. Nashville Skyline

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 05:12:34 AM »

1. Blood on the Tracks
2. Blonde on Blonde
3. The Basement Tapes
4. Bringing it All Back Home
5. Love & Theft
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. John Wesley Harding
8. Oh Mercy
9. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
10. Nashville Skyline
mickbrown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »

Hurricane
Like A Rolling Stone
I Want You
Bob Dylan's 115th Dream
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Desolation Row
Lay Lady Lay
Knocking On Heavens Door
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
Just Like A Woman
My Back Pages
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Gates of Eden
If Not For You
Boots of Spanish Leather

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »

New Dylan recording apparently in advance of a new upcoming album. Here is the standard "Full Moon and Empty Arms."

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/home

I think it's beautiful.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

I like his singing, but the song itself is boring. And I love standards.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:56 AM »

New Dylan recording apparently in advance of a new upcoming album. Here is the standard "Full Moon and Empty Arms."

I think it's beautiful.

Thanks Luther!

Love his voice and the song fits him perfectly. Glad to hear it'll be on his new album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »

I think it's beautiful.

Thanks Luther!

Love his voice and the song fits him perfectly. Glad to hear it'll be on his new album.
beautiful.  Thanks for the link captain.
Must have been influenced by his own re-release of Self Portrait.
Not including all of the Live stuff I love, all the bootleg series, boxes and comps. from his Massive out-put.  My Favorite Studio Albums:
1.  Blonde on Blonde (May 1966)  There's not a bad song to be found on this one.  Very choice tracks:  "Pledging My Time" "Visions of Johanna" "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" "Absolutely Sweet Marie" "Obviously 5 Believers" "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" - That's half the album, that's how good it is.
2.  John Wesley Harding (December 1967)  This threw everybody I knew for a loop in the middle of the Psych Era.  So different, so powerful.  Choice Tracks:  "Down Along the Cove" - I was just getting into Country music when this came out.  Brilliant!  In my Top 5 songs of his, period.  "All Along the Watchtower" - I like this every bit as much as The Experience version.  "Drifter's Escape"   Honorable mention - "I Pity the Poor Immigrant"  But Gene Clark just stole this one from him.  
3.  New Morning (October 1970)  Really a tie with JWH.  Again, no weak tracks, but if I must say:  "Father of Night" "One More Weekend" - like "Down Along the Cove," I love these rollicking type songs.  "If Dogs Run Free" - How did he come up with lyrics like this?  
4.  Highway 61 Revisited (August 1965)  This is the Album that made me a fan of Bob Dylan.  I had only heard stuff on the radio, never a whole album.  My older brother turned me on to him.  Thanks Hank.  All of the albums I'm picking had only killer tracks.  But if pushed:  "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "From a Buick 6"
5.  Nashville Skyline (April 1969)  Back to the late 60's and the Country.  "To Be Alone With You" "I Threw it all Away" - especially when I got older, and "Lay Lady Lay"  
6.  Self Portrait (June 1970)  You might be noticing I have a favorite era.  I think Bob did his best work with Bob Johnston watching.  He produced everything I've listed so far.  Something happened when Al Kooper came in to help on the New Morning sessions.  Johnston was credited as producer, with "special thanks" to Al, but it was over.  I haven't read a lot of all that's been written on Dylan, but I love Al, so I read his book.  If I'm recalling correctly, he doesn't make it clear - other than he wanted to call the shots at the sessions, and do the arrangements.  Been a few years since I read it last.  Sure some expert will swoop in here.  I , unlike many, thought Self Portrait was fantastic from the first time I heard it.  So honest and real.  The recent live stuff was great to hear.  This is before bootlegs changed everything, this was Bob with The Band, and if you have read my other posts, you know I'm a big Band fan.  This record was us hearing live Bob, or Basement Tapes tracks for the first time by Bob.  As you probably know, other folks were releasing basement songs before 1970.  Stand-out studio tracks:  "All the Tired Horses" "Days Of 49" "Copper Kettle" - Hell, I love 'em all...One more I want to mention was his cover of "It Hurts Me Too" - I was a big fan of British Blues/Rock, Savoy Brown was one of my very favorites.  They did this on their Blue Matter album. It was special to me when Dylan chose to record this.  He did a damn fine job singing the blues.
7.  The Basement Tapes (1975)  There are so many that didn't make the Robbie cut.  Many of my favorites are not on this record, so it's placement is for the sessions.  One of my Top 5 Bob songs:  "The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)" - Released first by Manfred Mann in January 1968.  Peter, Paul and Mary got the first shot at the Demos when Dylan first published them, but Manfred got the best.  "Ain't No More Cane on the Brazos" - Listed in The Band's A musical History as 1967/early 1968 Produced by John Simon, who knows or cares if this was recorded in the basement.  A great song.  Same goes for "Don't Ya Tell Henry" (Dylan)
"Katie's Been Gone" - again Produced by John, so who knows, maybe Summer 1967.  The last three have no Bob involvement.  "Nothing Was Delivered" and "You Ain't Going Nowhere" - I first heard  by The Byrds.  Bob's take on these are equally beautiful.  "Million Dollar Bash" "Please, Mrs. Henry" "Goin' To Acapulco" I could go on, but one more and I've got to go.  Another song in my Top 5 Bob list:  "Crash on the Levee (Down in the Flood)" 
 gotta take another break, this post is taking forever... and I've got friends over tonight for a listening party.  Maybe we will play some Bob.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:41:15 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »

Love the linked song. It really suits Bob and highlights how truly great his backing band are. Love it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

I love the basement tapes, its Americana its finest....

A wall of sound Bob Dylan cover....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdcs61yC3bQ

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:37 AM »

I could only think of a top three----I'm not a fan of Dylan as a performer although I'm the first to admit he's a prodigious songwriter.

1. Highway 61 Revisited
2. The Basement Tapes
3. Blonde on Blonde

1. Like A Rolling Stone
2. Ballad of A Thin Man (live, with The Band)
3. Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 01:49:24 AM »

I deleted my earlier post because parts of it could have been taken as disrespectful. Anyway, since then I've been listening to all the Dylan albums I hadn't previously heard.  Although it didn't make my list, I was surprised how listenable "Shot Of Love" is, it might even be my favourite Dylan album of the eighties. [EDIT - no. Relistened to "Oh Mercy". That still takes the title.]

Albums:

1. Blonde on Blonde
2. Bringing it All Back Home
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Blood On The Tracks
5. Another Side Of Bob Dylan
6. Freewheelin'
7. The Times They Are A-Changin'
8. Basement Tapes
9. Street-Legal
10. Desire

If the Basement Tapes don't count then I guess John Wesley Harding.

Songs:

Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
One of Us Must Know
I Want You
Like A Rolling Stone
Hard Rain A-Gonna Fall
Idiot Wind
Visions of Johanna
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Mr Tambourine Man
It's All Right Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:11:15 PM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

1) Blood on the Tracks
2) Highway 61 Revisited
3) Nashville Skyline
4) Desire
5) Street Legal
6) Oh Mercy
7) Planet Waves
Cool Slow Train Coming
9) Time Out of Mind
10)Shot of Love or Freewheelin'
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 04:05:52 AM »

In terms of songs, the only ones listenable to my ears are:

01: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
02: Like A Rolling Stone (Barely)

I'm with you except I would add Lay Lady Lay.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »

Tastes are tastes, but to call an artist's entire discography unlistenable is pretty ignorant. And we're talking about Bob fucking Dylan here.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »

Tastes are tastes, but to call an artist's entire discography unlistenable is pretty ignorant. And we're talking about Bob fucking Dylan here.

I can only assume they're talking about the sound of Dylan's voice. Now that i can understand----either you love it or you hate it----but I can't believe they mean his compositions! That would be crazy...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2015, 08:55:32 AM »

"Tastes are tastes" is the key here, and I don't think "ignorant" is a fair criticism of them. But what I would say is, if these posters find as unlistenable all but two or three of the songs of someone generally considered to be an absolute master of rock-era pop music (for lack of a better term), they are in an extreme minority. It's fine to inhabit that space. But it's a tiny, lonely space.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx