gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:08:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: love and mercy movie  (Read 10472 times)
wilsonart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:58 AM »

go to wcco.com and click bill lee pod casts...interview with bill p. about the new movie half way through pod cast. poss. release date is told.  listen..listen ..listen
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/01/20/bill-pohlad-on-producing-12-years-a-slave/

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

Quickly transcribed (some words, sentences were left out, this is the gist of it though):

[Asked about Love and Mercy]

Uh Love and Mercy is a film we developed...it's about the musician Brian Wilson who most people know from the Beach Boys....he's also struggled with a form of schizophrenia throughout his life and has had issues with drug abuse and rather unsavory characters that got into his life and messed it up a bit. It's a very powerful story and we wanted to tell that. Actually I'm directing the film so we developed and wrote the film with a great screenwriter Oren Moverman and we shot it this last summer in LA and I'm actually in New York now editing the film.

[decisions about the actors]

Normally I'm producing, so very involved in the casting decisions, generally the producer is kinda leading the way, and it's the directors job to execute the creative vision. In this case I'm both the director and producer. As the director I'm basically in charge of everything.

[when will the film come out]

We'll see. It'll be ready in the spring. But then distributors take a look at the film and decide what kind of a film it is and whose going to be attracted to it, then the decision is made. But it would be my guess it would be late summer, early fall.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:04:26 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »

So, it has no distributor at this point. I wonder how widely it will be released? It's hard to get films distributed these days because independent films are being pushed out of the multiplexes by the so-called tentpole blockbuster type movies. Though that would make it more realistic to expect it to be released in the fall, when most of those movies have mostly cleared out of theaters.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:54:07 PM »

Quickly transcribed (some words, sentences were left out, this is the gist of it though):

[Asked about Love and Mercy]

Uh Love and Mercy is a film we developed...it's about the musician Brian Wilson who most people know from the Beach Boys....he's also struggled with a form of schizophrenia throughout his life and has had issues with drug abuse and rather unsavory characters that got into his life and messed it up a bit. It's a very powerful story and we wanted to tell that. Actually I'm directing the film so we developed and wrote the film with a great screenwriter Oren Moverman and we shot it this last summer in LA and I'm actually in New York now editing the film.

[decisions about the actors]

Normally I'm producing, so very involved in the casting decisions, generally the producer kinda leading the way, and it's the directors job to execute the creative vision. In this case I'm north the director and producer. As the director I'm basically in charge of everything.

[when will the film come out]

We'll see. It'll be ready in the spring. But then distributors take a look at the film and decide what kind of a film it is and whose going to be attracted to it, then the decision is made. But it would be my guess it would be late summer, early fall.

Many thanks for doing that, appreciated.

“We live in divisive times.”
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »

Brian Wilson is not schizophrenic.
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

Thank's for sharing, the end of summer will be here as soon as we know it!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:48:29 AM »

He's not? I'm pretty sure he is. What makes you think he's not? I'd like to discuss, this is not meant as a provocation.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »

It's been discussed at length on this board, he suffers from clinical depression.  Along the way, he was treated with schizophrenia class medications by hack Dr. Landy and others, which caused brain damage.  A combination of clinical depression and street drugs, will lead to an endless cycle of dysfunctional behavior.  Depressed people withdraw from life, such as when Brian withdrew to his bedroom for a period of time. 
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »

I believe we've been told his diagnosis, haven't we?  But I can't remember.  Schizo affective?  Bipolar?  Cyclothymic? 
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »

I'm not an expert on these things, but I believe if a person hears audible voices in their head, then there is a "schizo" element to their mental illness.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »

I'm not an expert on these things, but I believe if a person hears audible voices in their head, then there is a "schizo" element to their mental illness.

Yes.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »

It will be a miracle if this movie get's a wide release

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »

Paranoia also fits into the picture. Landy's drugs very obviously did brain damage to Brian, but that doesn't mean Brian's brain disease is absolutely non-schizophrenic.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »

I thought they were calling it schizo affective, which has symptoms of schizophrenia but isn't the full disease.  Hearing voices isn't ordinarily a symptom of depression and Brian says in interviews that he hallucinates voices.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »

Yes.

I'm in a band with two people that suffer from this, and I can certainly back up what was said here. The interesting thing was I was telling them about Brian's illness before I knew about theirs.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »

Landy's drugs very obviously did brain damage to Brian...

I'm not being a jerk, I'm not being disagreeable, and I'm not singling you out, but...

Do you or any other posters know what drugs Landy gave to Brian in the 1980's that caused permanent damage or had side effects that still affect him today, 25 years later. I'm asking to obtain knowledge, to learn more about the Landy period, not to be argumentative.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »

Regarding auditory hallucinations and diagnoses: You can have hallucinations, including auditory, without having schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorder. It can occur in depression and bipolar disorder, for example.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

It's interesting that there are TV ads for a medication called Abilify that treat it like it's some kind of lightweight medication for depressed people to add to their Prozac if Prozac isn't enough. I see the Abilify commercial all the time on network TV. Out of curiousity, I looked up what it does, exactly. It's an anti-psychotic medication that's given to schizophrenics as well as depressed and bi-polar patients. I find it weird that a powerful anti-psychotic drug is advertised on primetime network TV with a cute-sy animated commercial, but I guess those problems are more mainstream and widespread than you'd think.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 12:03:02 PM »

I don't know what speciifc drugs Landy prescribed, but based on what I have read, it's my understanding that Dr. Landy had medication that is used to treat schizophrenia prescribed for BW.  Landy couldn't have  written prescriptions as psychologist, so he had to have someone who was an m.d. write the scrips.  I've also read that Landy would get different doctors to prescribe meds, so that no one had a handle on all the meds BW was taking and all the side effects and toxicities, etc.  A real medical mess.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »

I'm not being a jerk, I'm not being disagreeable, and I'm not singling you out, but...

Do you or any other posters know what drugs Landy gave to Brian in the 1980's that caused permanent damage or had side effects that still affect him today, 25 years later. I'm asking to obtain knowledge, to learn more about the Landy period, not to be argumentative.

I remember reading in Tim White's book that he was on a lot of different drugs, over ten at one time, but I don't remember if it listed which ones. It did mention that he took an anti-Parkinson drug to stop involuntary tremors caused by one of the anti-psychotic drugs.
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »

It's interesting that there are TV ads for a medication called Abilify that treat it like it's some kind of lightweight medication for depressed people to add to their Prozac if Prozac isn't enough. I see the Abilify commercial all the time on network TV. Out of curiousity, I looked up what it does, exactly. It's an anti-psychotic medication that's given to schizophrenics as well as depressed and bi-polar patients. I find it weird that a powerful anti-psychotic drug is advertised on primetime network TV with a cute-sy animated commercial, but I guess those problems are more mainstream and widespread than you'd think.

These disorders are not as widespread and mainstream as the advertising suggests, but it is a sign of the Big Business of pharmocrats: eighty-percent of the population is currently taking some kind of anti-depressant, according to the latest figures. There's a concept called FALSE POSITIVE. If you exhibit enough symptoms, you qualify for the diagnosis which gets you the prescription. You may not have a real problem, but you qualify for the drug.

Fact: no condition is listed in the DSM (the guidebook for diagnosis) without a sponsor.
Fact: no drug is considered for market by the FDA unless it is linked to a specific condition listed in the DSM.

Small investment when you have a potential to make billions of dollars, and the latest version of the DSM expands the number of diagnosis so that nearly everybody in the population can get themselves a prescription for one drug or another or both!

Most people won't think to ask their doctor about "Abilify" or any of the other drugs unless the advertisements tell them that there are drugs for certain kinds of symptoms. But are those symptoms really a medical condition, or are they something else? Like, a spiritual dilemma or a philosophical problem? Disease is socially defined, part of our consensus reality, and there are many professional cliques that earn billions of dollars by drugging the population unnecessarily. Cute ads make it "safe" and normalize it for consumption. It's a twisted business.

Anyway, I always thought it was interesting how Brian wanted to be a psychologist, before he became successful as a musician.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »

Yep, I agree with the above, and wish they had never made prescription drug advertising "legal" on American TV. It's also a bummer that such a large number of ads on American TV are for some malady or another.

BTW, the schizo-affective diagnosis for Brian is something that has been put across by Brian and his people for the past few years. It comes up in Google search and it appears in a number of article results from major publications. He also is said to be bipolar along with schizoaffective, not just depressive. It's very honest of them, when he really doesn't have to reveal that much. It will be interesting to see how they put it in the film, because the film director himself is saying it's a form of schizophrenia and I'm not sure it is.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 02:47:59 AM »

No worries, everybody's discussing in a gentle manner here so far, including you, and I don't feel singled out... Smiley I don't have knowledge of the medicaments. Recently I read about schizophrenia and it mentioned auditory hallucinations and paranoia, which naturally made me think of Brian and his behaviour during SMiLE, when he was seriously thinking there are mind gangsters and the occasional witch who were after him.

Regarding auditory hallucinations and diagnoses: You can have hallucinations, including auditory, without having schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorder. It can occur in depression and bipolar disorder, for example.

Have you deeper knowledge about this that you might want to elaborate? I'm not a psychiatrist, so I can't really add more to this discussion than what I wrote above.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 05:31:35 AM »

Yes, I'm a psychologist. I'm doing most of my posting here on my phone so that's why my last post was a bit short. Using the phone now as well but hopefully I can make some time to elaborate later.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx