gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 07:24:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike hopes to "record another album the way it should be"  (Read 22479 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »

I think it has been thoroughly shown that Mike will put up with and stuff a lot and for decades if it is from his cousin Brian. I don't think Mike is so into putting up with and stuffing it from "others" especially if they promised something and don't deliver. He is a team player and still delivers what he agreed to but he doesn't have to like taking it in the neck from the "other".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »

What do you mean "taking it in the neck" from the other?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

He means that Mike is such a wonderful guy that does stuff for others and always sticks to his word, and that others just always break their agreements and hurt him.

But don't forget,  he will do anything for cousin Brian.....

....except record a new Beach Boys album with him unless it's three quarters remakes of their hits and then other new songs written by him and Brian.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:16:23 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »

It means to receive trouble or punishment. Like someone promises you something and doesn't do it or someone insists on something and then launches a public smear campaign against you when they get it.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »

I'm the biggest Mike fan in the world but (aside from all the factors we do not know) I don't really get why he doesn't take matters into his own hands a bit. Like, he should stop Bruce from clapping, sit his ass down at a piano under threat of dismissal and make him write some tunes. Mike can write all the lyrics he wants and the M&B "Beach Boys" can start laying down tracks. Then he can call up Brian and play him some stuff over the phone and say "Get your ass down here"

Seems like the most likely way to get Brian "in a room".... If the stuff is working and has potential, Brian would probably get excited and jump on.

Or maybe I'm kidding myself.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:59:33 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »

He means that Mike is such a wonderful guy that does stuff for others and always sticks to his word, and that others just always break their agreements and hurt him.

....except record a new Beach Boys album with him unless it's three quarters remakes of their hits and then other new songs written by him and Brian.

Why would you say three quarters remakes of their hits?  He said he wants to write new songs with him and Brian, and suggested perhaps Al was promised to participate as well.  He said nothing about re-cutting old material in any recent interviews, that I'm aware of.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »

Ya know that suggestion you just put forth has some merit.. maybe not  long term   solution but short term no doubt.. { Pinder's suggestion }
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:38:26 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »

I'd like to see Bruce write some songs. He won a Grammy, fer gosh sakes.  He should write songs by himself. He can write lyrics, too, albeit sappy ones, for the most part.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »

At this late stage I don't think he needs it or can be bothered really. I'm not being critical but Mike books a gig, turns up, plays for a few hours, turns off. No BS or egos, answerable to no one. Why would he want to write then spend time in a studio (which he hates), when the alternative is so stress free?  

Ditto for Bruce although I can't comment about his attitude in the studio.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »

I'd like to see Bruce write some songs. He won a Grammy, fer gosh sakes.  He should write songs by himself. He can write lyrics, too, albeit sappy ones, for the most part.

Who in the world want's a full album of Bruce ballads  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »

If they're along the lines of Dierdre and Disney Girls: yes!!!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »

Why would you say three quarters remakes of their hits?  He said he wants to write new songs with him and Brian, and suggested perhaps Al was promised to participate as well.  He said nothing about re-cutting old material in any recent interviews, that I'm aware of.

He actually acted really bummed that they didn't do re-records in an interview HERE. Sure it says Brian said it, but I don't recall anybody but Mike being sad that they didn't do re-records. I guess he's just had such success with Mike Love, Bruce Johnston & David Marks of the Beach Boys Salute NASCAR and Summertime Cruisin' that he wanted to have some "fun, fun, fun" and maybe it'd be cool if he could "do it again".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:14:24 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »

Strange that at the supposed peak of his powers and songwriting prowess, Bruce came up flat with GOING PUBLIC. No problem with him revisiting "Disney Girls" and "I Write the Songs" as they were his tunes, but what an underwhelming effort.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »

I don't know why anybody would interview Mike Love.. Always the same answers.. You guys are kind enough to provide links to all these and yet I never learn anything new.. He must have all the answers written down close by.. And talking to Mike they never did anything after the 60"s except Kokomo.. Is he getting senile ? Somebody please interview Bruce for a change.. Or give Mike a few glasses of Wine and loosen up a bit.. LOL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

I don't know why anybody would interview Mike Love.. Always the same answers.. You guys are kind enough to provide links to all these and yet I never learn anything new.. He must have all the answers written down close by.. And talking to Mike they never did anything after the 60"s except Kokomo.. Is he getting senile ? Somebody please interview Bruce for a change.. Or give Mike a few glasses of Wine and loosen up a bit.. LOL

++++++++1  Smokin
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »

He actually acted really bummed that they didn't do re-records in an interview HERE. Sure it says Brian said it, but I don't recall anybody but Mike being sad that they didn't do re-records. I guess he's just had such success with Mike Love, Bruce Johnston & David Marks of the Beach Boys Salute NASCAR and Summertime Cruisin' that he wanted to have some "fun, fun, fun" and maybe it'd be cool if he could "do it again".

So it was Brian's idea but Mike's blame.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »

This M&B album is going to killing me and OSD on first listen!!!! Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »

y

Didn't Brian himself re-record two Beach Boys songs on "Imagination"? How is that different than Brian proposing they do a couple of remakes for the C50 project? It couldn't have been any worse than a couple of the worst songs on there.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it were a Joe Thomas idea, since he also produced "Imagination." Of course, the first reunion recording was a remake of "Do It Again."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:57 PM »

It was Brian's idea, but Mike's the only one who seemed peeved at all that it didn't happen. I haven't caught any interviews where Brian mentioned he was disappointed that they didn't get to re-record "Be True To Your School" or maybe "Surfin'" with heavy metal guitars. Oh wait, that one happened already.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »

I also gotta add that I think one reason why Mike wrote a certain kind of song for his latest (unreleased) solo album, but went back to self referential nonsense for the TWGMTR is that, being a guy who obviously favors money over art (and that's not a diss, I think he'd admit it) he thinks of The Beach Boys as a "brand" and that stuff like "From There To Back Again" don't fit that brand. He knows that songs about beaches and referencing past hits are easier ways of capturing Joe Dipshit's attention span, so that's why he does what he does. I have to say though, while there are a handful of good songs (like "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and "Daybreak Over The Ocean" among them) from his latest solo effort, a lot of the lyrics are pretty mediocre. Not wincingly bad, but just incredibly pedestrian. However, maybe if you had Brian put a better tune to something like "Anything for You" maybe it'd be better.

But whatever the case, Mike sounds like he feels he has something to say artistically. So what I don't understand is why doesn't he release some new freakin' music!? He kinda hinted that he would in some interviews last year, but he still hasn't. And I think that's a shame. I think he still doesn't understand that indie is the way to go. I think it took Al a while to realize that to get a solo album out, he had to do it that way. If Mike is waiting for Capitol or somebody to release his solo stuff, he's in la-la land. In my opinion, he should get the stuff out in the world via iTunes and also press up a few physical copies and sell them at his shows and also online. Shoot, maybe if Brian's people see that Mike is still making moves artistically and has some strong new tunes they might say "hey maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to work with him on some new material again?"

But hey, what do I know?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »

And lastly for my third post in a row...

Strange that at the supposed peak of his powers and songwriting prowess, Bruce came up flat with GOING PUBLIC. No problem with him revisiting "Disney Girls" and "I Write the Songs" as they were his tunes, but what an underwhelming effort.

I agree that it's disappointing that Going Public wasn't that great, but I think one thing to remember is that perhaps this era wasn't when he was at "the peak of his powers". If you go song-by-song (which I won't, don't worry), it actually becomes pretty clear that he really hardly brought any new to the project. In fact, after looking at the track listing, I think it's fair to say the only "new" songs he brought to the project were "Don't Be Scared" and "Rock and Roll Survivor". Everything else was either a re-do of something he either did with The Beach Boys, something he recorded as part of "Bruce & Terry", straight up covers, or stuff he wrote that was already released by other groups.

So I think the point is, dude has never really prolific at all, and while for a while I thought it was incredible that all he offered up for the latest Beach Boys album was "She Believes in Love Again", I can now understand. It could be totally possible that he hasn't written a complete song since "Slow Summer Dancin'". And anyways, it's probably better that we don't get any new material from him, since apparently the music that really gets him going these days is pop-country nonsense like Brad Paisley.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »

Well, you seem to forget that the real world isn't black and white. Mike Love is neither hero nor pure villain. The same goes for Brian.

This M&B album is going to killing me and OSD on first listen!!!! Razz

You could make it a game: The one who stands more tracks wins. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »

It was Brian's idea, but Mike's the only one who seemed peeved at all that it didn't happen. I haven't caught any interviews where Brian mentioned he was disappointed that they didn't get to re-record "Be True To Your School" or maybe "Surfin'" with heavy metal guitars. Oh wait, that one happened already.

Right, Mike's complaining about not being able to write more new material with Brian because he's peeved Brian didn't rerecord more old stuff like Brian wanted. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2014, 03:39:20 AM »

The vast majority of these interviews are for the local paper of the town they're playing in that night, so the answers will be the same because the questions are. Mike's done some in depth interviews -Goldmine 2002 springs to mind - and a new one is long overdue. And... C'mon, has Brian never trotted out formula answers ? Or Alan ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:32 AM »

You know, when I first read that interview, I understood he meant recording cover versions of songs they like. Brian may have suggested they do Proud Mary or Honeycomb and Mike a couple of others. Heck, when asked about future BB projects on TV, in 2012 with all the guys, he mentioned (and sang) Honeycomb. And hey, I would buy an album of quirky BBs cover versions.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx