gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:51:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's solo career  (Read 1030 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »

In Brian's Hall of Fame Speech of 1988, he mentioned that he wanted to be nominated all over again in another 27 years. That would be 2015!

So what do you guys think of his merits as a solo artist? Sales wise, it doesn't compare to the Beach Boys. But were talking about doing Pet Sounds and Smile live, That Lucky Old Sun and the Gershwin album. Which are the 2 master pieces of Brian's solo career. BW88 was with different musicians, but I think that is a fantastic album as well.

I don't think his solo career gets promoted enough. With the exception of when the albums first come out, he doesn't play much of his solo material live. And there have been no greatest hits released spanning his solo career. Fans have often been dismissive of his solo releases. Because his fans want to hear the vocals of the Beach Boys. Well, no they don't sing like the Beach Boys, and they don't play like the wrecking crew. But they are a pretty damn good band at that. How many groups can sing and play Pet Sounds and Smile like they did?

I am not sure we appreciate what we have been witnessing since Brian went back on tour full time. He may have done more shows since 2000 than from 61 - 99!! That's just a guess. I haven't counted. If I went back 15 years and told fans what was coming, no one would believe it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »

He could get a solo induction just for the originally released version of the Smile album, I guess.

You could say that compiling, sequencing and editing those tracks was a solo Brian achievement.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »

Only if Mike gets to intoduce him.....
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »

I for one love That Lucky Old Sun and I feel that it is the greatest "concept" album in music history, which is more than appropriate considering Little Deuce Coupe is considered the birth of the concept album.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »

TLOS is a great album, but Brian's solo career has mostly been about revisiting his older works, and that will not get him into any HOF.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx