gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:33:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike hopes to "record another album the way it should be"  (Read 22456 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2014-01-18/heroes-and-villains-mike-love/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »

Thank You for posting the link..!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »

*sigh* here we go again with the wacky Mike Love interviews.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »

Sadly will never happen

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun is a clever name for a tour.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »

Evil
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »

A Mike Love book would be incredible, maybe better than the up coming Brian once since we know Mike will actually be involved in his

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

A Mike Love book would be incredible, maybe better than the up coming Brian once since we know Mike will actually be involved in his

The first "Mike Love's New Book" thread will crash this damn site all by itself, and perhaps even the entire internet!  Evil
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »

Your post is not only funny but actually real.. Oh fun times abound.. Tip Toe
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »

Sadly will never happen

Thank God!  I only say this because Mike seemed to hate everything I loved about the last album!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »

I’ve been quoted about things I’ve never even said, like that I didn’t like Pet Sounds and I said, “Don’t ask me the formula?” I never said that! I never ever said that.

'Don't ask me the formula'?!  WTF?! I pretty much guarantee he never said that LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

I'm wondering if it is some kind of filter.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »

50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun is a clever name for a tour.

It'll be good for their image for sure.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »

But a perfect example of why Brian can't write with the guy. Zero new material.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:42:56 AM »

Mike needs to name check album titles from KTSA, BB85, Still Cruisin, & SIP, hence the need to write "new" material with Brian
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:38 AM »

I'm sure Mike could come up with new material, just it'd be based on old material. Don't regard myself as a Mike basher but since the early 70s his lyrical output has been regressive. This interview suggests he still sees backwards as the way forwards.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:07:26 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 03:46:20 AM »

What a first sentence!!  Grin

Mike Love invokes so many conflicted feelings it’s easy to forget he co-wrote “Fun, Fun, Fun” and “Good Vibrations,” sang harmony on “Don’t Worry Baby,” took the second verse on “Sloop John B,” and made John Stamos an honorary Beach Boy on Full House.

Re: “50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun.”

How many years do you think the band can and will hang on to the 50 years stuff?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 04:39:36 AM »

Luke Winkie ? Is that the writer's real name ?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 05:05:48 AM »

I'm sure Mike could come up with new material, just it'd be based on old material. Don't regard myself as a Mike basher but since the early 70s his lyrical output has been regressive. This interview suggests he still sees backwards as the way forwards.

I think it's hard to tell. His lyrics for his unreleased of a few years ago were not regressive. Just regular pop lyrics; some of them pretty good, actually. Granted, some of those lyrics were written a number of years before, but he deemed them relevant and current enough to use them.

What's wrong with his lyrics for Isn't it Time? And those for Beaches in mind fit the unpretentious (bland?) song rather well.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »

I'm more interested to hear what material Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David could come up with than further "PRODUCED BY BRIAN WILSON OR MAYBE JOE THOMAS. WRITTEN BY BRIAN WILSON OR MAYBE JOE THOMAS FEATURING A BUNCH OF OTHER GUYS WITH MAFIA CONNECTIONS AS WELL AS JON BON JOVI*".

It's cool to have an extra set of ears in there (although I really wish it weren't Joe Thomas) and I'm not really against the guy contributing minimally to already-there material (a lot of producers do that), but shoot. Again, I'm not taking sides, but I do agree with Mike's assertion that it's pathetic that five human beings can't get together in a room and write without being through the filter of Joe Thomas/wives and managers and handlers/money/whatever.

They wrote together as a band for a few decades before the TWGMTR approach came to be. The TWGMTR approach worked well, I like the album, but there are so many flaws and anomalies throughout the entire thing that are the result of the process. It's a lame, convoluted approach to writing music and, in this instance, I feel like Mike is right. Like, there's no reason things should be so complicated. People talk like Brian is incapable of walking out of the room if there's a day where he doesn't see eye to eye with someone else. I feel like Al, Bruce and David should involved in the process as Brian or Mike, both to keep Brian and Mike in check and because I think their contributions would help. An additional party would be great if it were someone like Darian or Scott whose work with Brian has been worlds more tasteful than the stuff Joe does.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:53:09 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 07:19:48 AM »

After reading several of these post-TWGMTR interviews with Mike Love, the picture has gotten much clearer.

It appears there were - and are - two distinct opinions/sides/wants/approaches to what a 2012 (and future?) Beach Boys album should be. On one side, the record company side, the Joe Thomas side, and the "powers that be" side, they wanted a mature, non-rocking, not exactly "fun" album of all new material, with no covers and no songs from Al, Bruce, and David. The compromise was to throw Mike a bone, albeit a bone with not much meat on it. That album was That's Why God Made The Radio. Mike didn't like that. Some fans didn't like that, either. A lot did.

Mike's side or vision - I think - would be more of a group album, with the vast majority of the songs having a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. I think Mike might be open to a song from the other members to fill out the album. That wasn't gonna happen in 2012, and maybe (probably?) ain't ever gonna happen.

It doesn't appear that Mike wants to compromise anymore. He may never get the chance anyway. Future discussions for another Beach Boys' album may never take place. If negotiations were going to happen, you would think the best chance would've been immediately following TWGMTR and the anniversary tour. They could've piggybacked on that momentum. Now, the momentum's gone, the guys aren't getting any younger, and the record company moved on with a solo Brian Wilson.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:26:24 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »

Mike's side or vision - I think - would be more of a group album, with the vast majority of the songs having a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. I think Mike might be open to a song from the other members to fill out the album. That wasn't gonna happen in 2012, and maybe (probably?) ain't ever gonna happen.
But Mike also wrote with Al, and Al wrote with Brian. I don't hear Mike go on and on about how the only way another Beach Boy lp will ever happen is if Al agrees to sit in the same room with Mike and write some songs from scratch, or if Brian co-writes with Al again.

It's all about Mike's status -- in his mind -- as co-creator of the Beach Boys songbook of the classic era, as McCartney is to Lennon, and Jagger to Richards. And to give Mike his due, he was denied writing credit on many of the songs for so many years -- I can see where the chip on his shoulder comes from.

So, the upshot: no more Beach Boys albums.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »

The beach boys 50.... How exciting! It couldn't have been called...

Good Vibrations: 50 Years of the beach boys

The beach boys: 50 years under the sun
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:24 AM »

Unfortunately Brian's and Mike's opinions on what way "it should be" to make an album the are vastly different...

The beach boys 50.... How exciting! It couldn't have been called...

Good Vibrations: 50 Years of the beach boys

The beach boys: 50 years under the sun

Well, the 2016 tour will undoubtedly have a name as "50 years of Good Vibrations"... Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »

I don't think Brian can write complete songs anymore, not the way Mike wants him to. Brian needs other collaborators to contribute to chords and melodies. Sitting around a piano and writing a song with Mike alone is in the past.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx