gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681553 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 01:44:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: We're Together Again ( Mike and Al)  (Read 5110 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »

Acting on a hot tip from Will Brison, I was able to track down the (now past) owner of the Mike Love Smiley Smile Standup!
 So they're Reunited!!    ( and it feels SO Good)  

Mike however hasn't weathered the years as well as Al; he's got bend creases at both knees, his right hip, right arm just above the elbow, his pointing finger is bent really badly and someone shot him thru the head!  

Now to try and find Brian, Carl and Dennis......
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:34:29 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »

Bgas, that is awesome you got the two! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

How Cool is that?!?  

I've been a BBs fan for a long, long time and I have never seen those stand-ups before. I wonder if they went with that Smiley Smile display case we talked about on the Board a little while back. Hands down one of the rarest Beach Boys' paper memorabilia around. And undeniably the quirkiest!

Makes me wonder how many were made. Perhaps, somewhere, sitting idly in an attic, patiently for 47 years, Brian, Dennis, and Carl, are waiting to come out and play.

Oh, for that time machine  Grin  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:04:26 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »

Hands down one of the rarest Beach Boys' paper memorabilia around.

Well..........I dunno about that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

That is just about the coolest thing ever.

Does anyone have one of the officially-issued Smiley Smile sweaters?

Also, Mike seems to be wearing a Heroes and Villains 45 artwork t-shirt, was that an actual item for sale, and do any still exist?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:07:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »

Anyone got one of the fan club shirts Paper Mike is modelling?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »

Have never seen one of the "Heroes and Villains" picture sleeve T shirts Mike is wearing.  Odd, you'd think some would have survived, but I guess lots of 47 year-old T shirts get tossed.  Need to find that storage locker where all the mint  shirts are still sealed in plastic bags.  Right next to the Wilson brothers' stand-ups!

Mikie . . . don't keep me in suspense . . . pray tell??
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:16:02 PM »

Also, Mike seems to be wearing a Heroes and Villains 45 artwork t-shirt, was that an actual item for sale, and do any still exist?

You got 'em through the BB fan club.   "I know you'll feel better when you send us in your letter and tell us the name of your.......your favorite vergetable."

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »

Have never seen one of the "Heroes and Villains" picture sleeve T shirts Mike is wearing.  Odd, you'd think some would have survived, but I guess lots of 47 year-old T shirts get tossed.  Need to find that storage locker where all the mint  shirts are still sealed in plastic bags.  Right next to the Wilson brothers' stand-ups!

Mikie . . . don't keep me in suspense . . . pray tell??

Lessee, off the top, I'd say original Smile covers and/or front/back slicks and booklets.  The original handwritten Wild Honey album song list. Orginal handwritten sheet music to the songs. The Smile ad in the back of Teen Set. Party album display. Surf's Up album promo poster. To name just a few. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

You got 'em through the BB fan club.   "I know you'll feel better when you send us in your letter and tell us the name of your.......your favorite vergetable."

Speaking of, I wonder how many fans actually sent in their letter to tell Brian and the Boys the name of their favorite vegetable? I'd imagine at least a few dozen.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »

Mikie

I'll agree with the Smile front and back slicks, but things like handwritten lyrics, music, and proposed album line-ups, I consider one-of-a-kind items owned, or once owned, by members of the band, their family, record company executives, or close associates. It doesn't mean they're not crazy rare, but the average fan had no chance of owning those materials at the time. The Smiley Smile stand-ups were, I suppose, produced in some quantity and distributed to larger record stores for display, and may have been snagged by an enterprising fan or saved by a record store owner with a little foresight. Unless they were like the Party potato chip displays and made in an extremely limited (i.e.; one) quantity.

The color Smile ad in Teen Set is not that rare.  Comes up on eBay all the time. Thousands of those magazines were printed, a good number survived. The same with the two-page black and white Smile ad in Billboard. Rarer than Teen Set, but still obtainable for those who seek their inner Smile bliss.

Personally, I don't consider the Surf's Up (and Sunflower) promo posters all that rare.  Certainly no where near as rare as these Smiley Smile stand-ups.

If there ever was a BEACH BOYS MUSEUM on the National Mall in Washington, DC, and, let's face it, there should be, there would be an entire exhibit devoted to Smile.  And in that exhibit would be a small card that read: "Al and Mike stand-ups on loan from bgas."  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:50:44 PM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »

I've seen the Teen Set issues on EBAY.  But I've never seen a Surf's Up poster for sale on Ebay.  I got mine directly from their offices on N. Ivar in Hollywood. And I'll bet not ALL Smile covers were thrown away after they were manufactured by Capitol.  Didn't Peter have one at one time?  I've forgotten now.  How about the sleeve to the Wallach's Music City Boogie Woodie single? There's a rare paper item......

I have a Brian Wilson paper/cardboard mask (circa '64) that I picked up at the San Diego convention in '92.  I'd like to see someone come forward who has one of those!   Smiley

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »

Al's lucky enough to be wearing one in a photo on page 40 of Ed Wincensten's book, "Denny Remembered."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »

You got 'em through the BB fan club.   "I know you'll feel better when you send us in your letter and tell us the name of your.......your favorite vergetable."

Mikie, can you provide a picture of the ad for the H&V 45 shirts?  I know I've never seen that ad, and it wpould be really cool if you have it.
I've seen the Teen Set issues on EBAY.  But I've never seen a Surf's Up poster for sale on Ebay.  I got mine directly from their offices on N. Ivar in Hollywood. And I'll bet not ALL Smile covers were thrown away after they were manufactured by Capitol.  Didn't Peter have one at one time?  I've forgotten now.  How about the sleeve to the Wallach's Music City Boogie Woodie single? There's a rare paper item......

I have a Brian Wilson paper/cardboard mask (circa '64) that I picked up at the San Diego convention in '92.  I'd like to see someone come forward who has one of those!   Smiley

Of course, there are Alot of really rare paper items, which is rarer may just be down to who values what more. can you post pics of your Surf's Up poster and whatever mask you're talking about?  I'd really like to see a 1964 made mask!
 By Smile Covers you mean the actual slicks, right?  Don't think anyone has an actual cover. I've got front and back slicks, Peter has, if I remember correctly, a Mono  front, and a back slick.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:33:34 AM by bgas » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

Never even seen the Smiley ad or standup before that I can remember. What publication was it in? Billboard or Cashbox? Rolling Stone? Not Teen Set, eh? Never seen a Smiley Smile sweatshirt either.  Would be curious as to how many were made. 50? 100? More? 

My mask is in storage.  Paid $10 bucks for it.  There were just a few for sale and people were wearing them.  Maybe Lee remembers - he was at one or both of the San Diego conventions in the early 90's.

My Surf's Up poster is on the wall and I'll post a picture of it here this weekend.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »

I never thought the day would come when I would have a rare BB collectible within a few dozen miles of me, and I would say to myself, "Nahh, Chris Woods wants it more than me.  He can have it."

I must be getting old...

Lee
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »

Interesting... Mike and Al have the same pair of legs.  Look closely...

As Leggy Mountbatten said, "It's the trousers..."

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

Never even seen the Smiley ad or standup before that I can remember. What publication was it in? Billboard or Cashbox? Rolling Stone? Not Teen Set, eh? Never seen a Smiley Smile sweatshirt either.  Would be curious as to how many were made. 50? 100? More?  

My mask is in storage.  Paid $10 bucks for it.  There were just a few for sale and people were wearing them.  Maybe Lee remembers - he was at one or both of the San Diego conventions in the early 90's.

My Surf's Up poster is on the wall and I'll post a picture of it here this weekend.

I'll ask Rick Edgil about the masks, maybe he remembers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:32:22 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

I never thought the day would come when I would have a rare BB collectible within a few dozen miles of me, and I would say to myself, "Nahh, Chris Woods wants it more than me.  He can have it."

I must be getting old...

Lee

You want me to come by the house and pick up all that other stuff you don't really cara bout anymore?    ( THANKSS!!  by the way... )

Interesting... Mike and Al have the same pair of legs.  Look closely...

As Leggy Mountbatten said, "It's the trousers..."

Lee

OHH!  Press Those Trousers!! 
It's not just the pants; the shoes are the same size and style. Folks are currently wondering if their skivvies are the same, and who got to wear the outfit first for the photo session

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »

Why ask Edgil or Mast?  Lee is right here!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

Why ask Edgil or Mast?  Lee is right here!

IS Lee saying anything?

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »

Don't remember the masks at all...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »

They're like those old Casper the Ghost Halloween masks. Only this one is photopaper over thin cardboard. A rubber band holds it on your head. Guys were walking around with them. I went back to get a second one later, but they were all gone. Either the 1990 or 1992 convention.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »

This is awesome stuff.

About 10 years ago Al's sweater and that send away ad came up... Somebody made a "vectorized" image that a friend of mine was able to turn into a screen for screen printing... I've got a couple shirts (bad quality shirts, sadly) and canvasses with it hanging on my wall. It's a pretty nifty design!

Watch out for snakes!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »

They should make those Smiley Smile sweatshirts again. They're actually pretty cool.

I'd rather buy those than what's already been released for clothing, anyway.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx