gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you ever embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?  (Read 37423 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:07 PM »

I'm never ashamed of the Beach Boys. If you don't like Surfin' USA, I'm embarrassed for you, not myself. Hell, I'll proudly play Kokomo, too. There's a video of a CBC interview of Brian, and at one point he puts a hand on his forehead and says to something to the effect, "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm not on Kokomo. I'm not on Kokomo!" And he's damn right. It's a great song.

No, I don't play Summer In Paradise for friends, but any band with the history of the Beach Boys has some clunkers.

Really cool people dig the Beach Boys. They get the talent. Only insecure people make fun of the Beach Boys.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 12:10:45 AM »

No, particularly since the early 90s, the boys stock has grown massively. I guess its different in the US because of Stamos and Full House but in the UK and Europe we thankfully missed out on that although there was Baywatch  LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:02 AM »

The only time I've been truly, truly embarrassed to be a BB fan was when I had to walk into my local record store - where they knew me well - and ask them to order a Julio Iglesias 45. The resultant hilarity was loud and prolonged.

Best time to be a BB fan ? 2012, of course.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 12:22:14 AM »

In all honesty things would have gone a hell of a lot better if Jack Riley was never fired, Blondie and Ricky never left, and they continued making top-notch albums after Holland instead of "shudder" 15 Big Ones!

Also, I find Holland to be an incredibly bland, boring album (with the exception of "California," "Big Sur," and "Funky Pretty.")
I would rather listen to 15 Big Ones or Love You than to Holland.

What About Sail On Sailor?

I'd probably rank it below the three tracks I mentioned, but above the other ones I didn't mention.

Fair enough.
But I'd take Holland over 15 Big Ones and Love You, as good as the latter is. And you can't deny they really went downhill musically in the years after Endless Summer was released

I think that decline, however gradual it may be, happened before ES was released.

I can't say I agree but it's an interesting thought. In your opinion, when did their creative output begin to decline?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »

What's wrong with Endless Summer? Listen to that record from start to finish, it's quite an incredible collection of all killer, no filler. Sometimes I feel this might be my personal "desert island disc" because it's just timeless and I never seem to get tired of it. Even has some of the group's deeper cuts from the earlier years, such as "Let Him Run Wild". If Mike Love was responsible for that, then he did a fabulous job I think.

Endless Summer itself is not to blame for the BB becoming an oldies act. After the album's success they could've released great "progressive" music with stuff like "It's OK" (which I love) being used as singles.

As a compilation it's great. Musically, they did a great job at choosing the tracks, with only a few clunkers (Catch A Wave, Little Deuce Coupe, Girls On The Beach, and for some reason they added Help Me Ronda instead of the classic single version) but them aside, it's flawless. Certainly the best one to date in the US.

Although it did some short-term good in terms of popularity, in the long term Endless Summer proved to be extremely damaging to the Beach Boys. It was from this that they were typecast as a Nostalgic Surf Band, and they began to degenerate to a oldies band. They began to really decline artistically, with none of their subsequent music matching their 66-73 height. Eventually they lost their relevance, and they became a joke.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

The Beach Boys were declining before Endless Summer. Well, Brian was declining. Carl was never a prolific songwriter. Dennis had the goods anyway, but chose to work outside the band. So - maybe - best case scenario is that a bunch of POB material gets released on a Beach Boys album if Endless Summer never happens. But that's it.

So what's the big deal?

Brian getting hooked on cocaine and pills is what killed the Beach Boys artistically, not some album. If anything, Endless Summer was a godsend for the group. Sure, they became a joke. But without Endless Summer, they're irrelevant, and that's far worse. And no Endless Summer, no Love You. It's that simple. Nobody would've cared enough to have Brian release it.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:09 AM »

But without Endless Summer, they're irrelevant, and that's far worse.

About that, they're irrelavent now, and have been for quite a while.
At least they were releasing great albums consistently up to Holland. Can't say that after the release of Endless Summer.
And at least up to Endless Summer, they were performing mainly their more recent songs, not just the older hits. That also changed, and after that they focused on just the oldies, as far as I know, with maybe 1 or 2 newer songs
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »

For such an old band, they aren't irrelevant. They still play the Beach Boys on the radio, and the group was invited to Bonnaroo. What else do you want from 70 year old dudes?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 01:18:05 AM »

I agree, Mr. Cohen. They also had an album of all-new music enter the top 10 in their 50th year of existence. That's pretty impressive.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:12 AM »

At least they were releasing great albums consistently up to Holland. Can't say that after the release of Endless Summer.
And at least up to Endless Summer, they were performing mainly their more recent songs, not just the older hits. That also changed, and after that they focused on just the oldies, as far as I know, with maybe 1 or 2 newer songs

Making it sound like Endless Summer was the sole cause for the Beach Boys to turn into a traveling oldies jukebox is ignoring the larger social issues at play.  You have to understand the political reality of the early to mid-70's.  Americans were fed up with Vietnam and Watergate and longed for simplicity.  Movies like "American Graffiti" encapsulated that desire to revisit the recent past (the Beach Boys were featured on the soundtrack, quite prominently, with "All Summer Long" played during the end credits).

Endless Summer was created and released at the perfect time to capitalize on this wave of nostalgia.  The Beach Boys would have probably turned into an oldies band at that time regardless.  It was what the public wanted.
messofhelp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:27 AM »

I love Catch A Wave!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 01:27:46 AM »

I meant to the General Public and Casual music fans.

To this day it can be embarrassing to ask someone at a Record Fair if they have any Beach Boys. They usually say stuff like they don't have surfing crap or stuff like that. They usually laugh when I ask where the BB's are.
When I'm at an general music store, the Beach Boys aren't at the Popular section like it's contemporaries the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. They're always at the 50's and 60's section. I think that says a lot about how they are considered by the general public.

On the Internet, for example on a average Music page, whenever there's news of the BB's, the comments are usually harshly negative. Examples include "Fucking surf music, I DON'T SURF", "I don't like hearing guys sing like little girls, they suck", "Who cares about the fucking Beach Boys", etc.

Their reputation and image is poor and for the most part destroyed by the public. I find it very sad, but unfortunately that's the truth.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 01:30:08 AM »

Making it sound like Endless Summer was the sole cause for the Beach Boys to turn into a traveling oldies jukebox is ignoring the larger social issues at play.  You have to understand the political reality of the early to mid-70's.  Americans were fed up with Vietnam and Watergate and longed for simplicity.  Movies like "American Graffiti" encapsulated that desire to revisit the recent past (the Beach Boys were featured on the soundtrack, quite prominently, with "All Summer Long" played during the end credits).

Endless Summer was created and released at the perfect time to capitalize on this wave of nostalgia.  The Beach Boys would have probably turned into an oldies band at that time regardless.  It was what the public wanted.

I guess. But they still didn't have to turn into a oldies band, and could have still made great albums and kept on performing mainly contemporary BB's songs with a couple of older hits instead of doing what they ended up doing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 01:36:14 AM »

I guess. But they still didn't have to turn into a oldies band, and could have still made great albums and kept on performing mainly contemporary BB's songs with a couple of older hits instead of doing what they ended up doing.

I think to a certain extent they tried it, at least when Love You and the Light Album came out.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 01:39:20 AM »

It seems that the perception of the Beach Boys music and image can be drastically different among those who know it best (fans) and casual listeners. As a result, are you ever publicly timid or even flat out embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?

I know that if anyone showed the video for Rock N' Roll to the Rescue, among a slew of other 80s/90s songs, I'd be heading for the hills before admitting I was fan of that band.

A bit embarrassed. As you said, the perception of the band is so radically different between different groups of listeners. Aficionados know everything they did and then some, and casual listeners may only know a couple of early surf hits. And Barbara Ann.

It is probably the widest gap in 20th century pop music that there is, in this respect.

Net result: I feel different from people who just say they are Stones, Led Zep, or Neil Young fans, and simply leave it at that. I always feel that I have to add a comment after declaring my undying love for the Boys. Something in the vein of: oh, and many people don't know their later and lesser known work... it is more complex... it is very sophisticated (and so on and so forth). And after that, I feel embarrassed that I added this (as if it were somehow inferior to admire the group for its fantastic string of hits).

Perhaps dr Phil could devote an episode to the psychology behind this?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 02:20:51 AM »

And you can't deny they really went downhill musically in the years after Endless Summer was released.

I actually think they really went downhill musically in the years after Sunflower was released! The Rieley era LPs are a bore to me. Yeah, that's subjective. I don't think you can objectively place those LPs over the 1961-1966 era. You can do that subjectively any day!

And commercially, they went downhill in the years after Party was released...

When I'm at an general music store, the Beach Boys aren't at the Popular section like it's contemporaries the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. They're always at the 50's and 60's section.

Unfortunately, this is also true in the music stores that you don't happen to be in. Roll Eyes IMHO the reason they have become a nostalgia act isn't the Endless Summer compilation, but that their best work is the 1961-1966 era. When Brian melted down on mental issues (nevermind the causes), they only created more or less irrelevant music.

And it's all subjective. I play BB songs on guitar on parties, and believe it or not, I once was asked if I could play Kokomo... Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 03:48:58 AM »

To this day it can be embarrassing to ask someone at a Record Fair if they have any Beach Boys. They usually say stuff like they don't have surfing crap or stuff like that. They usually laugh when I ask where the BB's are.

Dunno what kinda record fairs you're going to  Huh

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 03:53:38 AM »

After having spent a couple of years effort convincing the Beatles nuts, stoners and Indie music types at high school and Uni of the unequivical brilliance of our boys, "The BB's" then offered up Kokomo and the sucker punch killer blow of Still Crusin'; not helpful, and embarassing until the Capitol years twofers CDs hit the stands in '90, GV box, PSS - balance restored.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:03:03 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 04:06:18 AM »

Dunno what kinda record fairs you're going to  Huh

I happened to be at one of those record fairs, and bought me a copy of Adult Child on vinyl and Help Me Tampa on CD, so Maybe I Don't Know must have spent his time talking to the lady selling sausage rolls and instant coffee.

Most Melbourne, AU record market sellers are pretty canny about their BB stock - if not from their own inclinations (usually being rock music fans), then by the smell of a potential sale to a subculture that just can't help themselves.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:29:40 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »

It seems that the perception of the Beach Boys music and image can be drastically different among those who know it best (fans) and casual listeners. As a result, are you ever publicly timid or even flat out embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?

Hell, no!  LOL

The "perception" (of the public ) was never the "reality" (of the music.)  

That is the short answer.  Wink
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 04:26:22 AM »

I actually agree. While I have always defended the Beach Boys, it can be really embarrassing to admit being a fan.

People are still convinced to this day that they are just a crappy Surf band who sings like girls. Which is a big reason why I always reccomend BB's music from 1966 to 1973, to try and break their image.

This.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:35 AM »

Dunno what kinda record fairs you're going to  Huh

I happened to be at one of those record fairs, and bought me a copy of Adult Child on vinyl and Help Me Tampa on CD, so Maybe I Don't Know must have spent his time talking to the lady selling sausage rolls and instant coffee.

Most Melbourne, AU record market sellers are pretty canny about their BB stock - if not from their own inclinations (usually being rock music fans), then by the smell of a potential sale to a subculture that just can't help themselves.

I go to the Box Hill record fair whenever I get to. And which record fair did you get your Adult Child copy?
Also, I go to several Sunday markets occasionally, one in Coburg and one in Camberwell. A lot of the reactions were similar to what I've already explained
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:13 AM »

I'm never ashamed of the Beach Boys. If you don't like Surfin' USA, I'm embarrassed for you, not myself. Hell, I'll proudly play Kokomo, too. There's a video of a CBC interview of Brian, and at one point he puts a hand on his forehead and says to something to the effect, "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm not on Kokomo. I'm not on Kokomo!" And he's damn right. It's a great song.

No, I don't play Summer In Paradise for friends, but any band with the history of the Beach Boys has some clunkers.

Really cool people dig the Beach Boys. They get the talent. Only insecure people make fun of the Beach Boys.
You are correct about Kokomo.  And, those were great co-writers. John Phillips, Scott McKenzie, and Terry Melcher, with Mike and an "ambush" movie score hit! Brian said that as well, IIRC in the Endless Harmony (which I'm listening to right now) DVD. 

Each kid I know who goes into the military gets a BB CD, and when they can use their "electronics" post basic training, they know what they are listening to are "America's sounds" at their very best. 

And, it was a full-circle thing that C50, but, as for me, some of the best shows I ever saw were they were considered to be at the bottom of the heap, and courageously still out there performing, when they played free shows, and you got to stand next to the stage, and sing along with a band who really appreciated their fans.  And the question was whether you'd be embarrassed?" And, you're correct, I think, that those who didn't "get it" were "more to be pitied, than censured."  Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:53 AM »

Truthfully, being a Beach Boys fan renders you incapable of being embarrassed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 04:56:56 AM »

Truthfully, being a Beach Boys fan renders you incapable of being embarrassed.

Yes, Andrew!
And, that is pretty empowering!   LOL

FYI - I sometimes color "outside the lines!"  Razz

Couldn't resist.   Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:45:17 PM by filledeplage » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx