gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:48:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you ever embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?  (Read 37615 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2014, 01:43:12 AM »

52 years later, I still wish Regan & Saraceno had gone with "The Woodies".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »

I like The Beach Boys name.. it is quite iconic.  Its only wierd in that they are much older now.

The Beatles isn't exactly the hippest name, but who cares?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »

On reflection, yes, I have been embarrassed to be a BB fan, but not because of anything the band did.  Roll Eyes

I think that's a shot at the fans  Huh  Cheesy

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »

Wasn't a name like 'The Passions' back in the 70s?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »

Bands who change their name without actually breaking up and then disown their older material make me want to heave.

This means you don't like bands such as Small Faces/Faces and Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »

Bands who change their name without actually breaking up and then disown their older material make me want to heave.

This means you don't like bands such as Small Faces/Faces and Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »

I'm more embarrassed to be associated with people who respond to my saying "They're really good, a lot of their better material isn't well known" with continued "LOL KOKOMO UNCLE JESSIE"

YEAH, I SAID IT, I AM A SNOB (not really, I just don't like being disappointed-ointed-ointed-ointed)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

I like The Beach Boys name.. it is quite iconic.  Its only wierd in that they are much older now.

The Beatles isn't exactly the hippest name, but who cares?

I like the name "The Beatles". Certainly doesn't sound outdated and unhip unlike "The Beach Boys"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »

It seems that the perception of the Beach Boys music and image can be drastically different among those who know it best (fans) and casual listeners. As a result, are you ever publicly timid or even flat out embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?

I know that if anyone showed the video for Rock N' Roll to the Rescue, among a slew of other 80s/90s songs, I'd be heading for the hills before admitting I was fan of that band.

I'm never embarassed to be a Beach Boys fan.  Being embarassed of your opinion means you don't have a lot of confidence in it.  Who's a big enough man that their opinion is better than yours, to the point that you should be ashamed to admit it? 

If someone asks me, or it comes up, the conversation goes like this

"I absolutely LOVE, my favorite band, is the Beach Boys"

them : "The Beach Boys?  Really?"

"They're one of the absolute best of all time.  You've never heard them?"

them: "Oh yeah, I mean I've heard California Girls, and ..."

"So you don't like California Girls?  That's one of the coolest songs ever.... they've got 100 songs that good"

them: "Yeah... I mean I guess they're pretty cool "

"You should listen to some of their albums you've never heard of, they were incredibly talented.  Love their stuff!"

If anybody brings up Kokomo, I tell them how great Kokomo is, but they had much better songs.  If anybody brings up "Wipe Out", I laugh and tell them how great Wipe Out is, but they had much better songs. 

I don't really see what there is to be ashamed about, it's your opinion, they put their pants on 1 leg at a time just like you do. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2014, 08:43:09 AM »

I actually agree. While I have always defended the Beach Boys, it can be really embarrassing to admit being a fan.

People are still convinced to this day that they are just a crappy Surf band who sings like girls.

There is your problem, the way to handle this is to realize the truth:

They were the *BEST* Surf band to sing about girls.

Here's more news for you.  Most people like to surf.  Most people grew up listening to the Beach Boys and loved it.  Ask a kid.  They still love it. 

Also most people love songs about Girls.... this interestingly includes Guys, AND girls.  Girls like guys singing about them.  Try it sometime.

The Beach Boys made some great material later, but their famous material, the 'surf songs about girls' were some of their absolute best, most creative stuff.  Ntohing to be ashamed about, much to be proud of. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:56 AM »

What's wrong with Endless Summer? Listen to that record from start to finish, it's quite an incredible collection of all killer, no filler. Sometimes I feel this might be my personal "desert island disc" because it's just timeless and I never seem to get tired of it. Even has some of the group's deeper cuts from the earlier years, such as "Let Him Run Wild". If Mike Love was responsible for that, then he did a fabulous job I think.

Endless Summer itself is not to blame for the BB becoming an oldies act. After the album's success they could've released great "progressive" music with stuff like "It's OK" (which I love) being used as singles.

As a compilation it's great. Musically, they did a great job at choosing the tracks, with only a few clunkers (Catch A Wave, Little Deuce Coupe, Girls On The Beach, and for some reason they added Help Me Ronda instead of the classic single version) but them aside, it's flawless. Certainly the best one to date in the US.

Although it did some short-term good in terms of popularity, in the long term Endless Summer proved to be extremely damaging to the Beach Boys. It was from this that they were typecast as a Nostalgic Surf Band, and they began to degenerate to a oldies band. They began to really decline artistically, with none of their subsequent music matching their 66-73 height. Eventually they lost their relevance, and they became a joke.

With all due respect, this whole argument is something that was thought up by somebody, and has been parroted over and over again to the point where people believe it (and new to the fold fans accept it as THE REASON the band isn't as popular anymore).... but the entire argument is the biggest bunch of nonsense ever.

So you're telling me, that when the Beatles released the RED Album, and the BLUE Album, it was 'extremely damaging to the Beatles', right?  Eventually they lost their relevance, and became a joke.

OH WAIT, the argument apparently only works when you're saying the Beach Boys did it.  Any other band can release all the greatest hits albums they want and there's no problem, but if the Beach Boys do it, it ruins their career. 

Come on.  There's no truth to it, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, the Chili Peppers, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, Frank Sinatra, Elton John.... there are VERY FEW bands/acts that have done the whole "30,40,50' years thing that the Beach Boys have done, and every fucking one of them released greatest hits albums, and it didn't hurt any of their careers. 

So if you look at the evidence of their peers (of which there are few) releasing greatest hits albums has never harmed anybody's career or turned them into an oldies act.  If you feel the Beach Boys were turned into an oldies act, it had nothing to do with the greatest hits album, or you'd have to say that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are now an oldies act.... or The Rolling Stones are purely an oldies act and are a joke with no respect anymore.  Or that Paul McCartney is an oldies act and nobody cares that he's released anything since his first greatest hits, what "Tripping the Live Fantastic!" in 1989 or whatever.  Or that Frank Sinatra was never relevant with new music after his first greatest hits album in 1952 or whatever. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »

I meant to the General Public and Casual music fans.

To this day it can be embarrassing to ask someone at a Record Fair if they have any Beach Boys. They usually say stuff like they don't have surfing crap or stuff like that. They usually laugh when I ask where the BB's are.
When I'm at an general music store, the Beach Boys aren't at the Popular section like it's contemporaries the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. They're always at the 50's and 60's section. I think that says a lot about how they are considered by the general public.

On the Internet, for example on a average Music page, whenever there's news of the BB's, the comments are usually harshly negative. Examples include "Fucking surf music, I DON'T SURF", "I don't like hearing guys sing like little girls, they suck", "Who cares about the fucking Beach Boys", etc.

Their reputation and image is poor and for the most part destroyed by the public. I find it very sad, but unfortunately that's the truth.

I'm not trying to bag on oyou, I'm just trying to point out that you're describing a bunch of idiots, what do you care what they say?  That's starting to be a reflection on YOU, you should be laughing at THEM, they're idiots!

So you go to a 'record fair' (what the f*** is that?) and ask for Beach Boys albums, and the guy says "I don't have Surfing Crap".  So this is the guy you trust to buy records from, or to trust his opinion, or even CARE what his opinion is?  I'd laugh at his face and tell him what a dumbass he is.  Then I'd explain to him how much money he's losing because he's stupid enough to laugh off the second most successful band of all time, and has missed out on all their bootleg money for 50 years, nice job wise ass, keep laughing.  I guess i'll take this 4 grand in my pocket to another table, f*** you very much.

That's how you handle morons.

You said the Beach Boys are in the 50's and 60's section at your music store.  At all of mine they're not, they're right next to the Beastie Boys.  What record store do you go to that puts albums from the 70's in the 50's section?  Why is this even a problem?  At my music store (or any I've ever been to, honestly) they're 'hip' enough to get how cool the Beach Boys are (I find most people who are fluent in music, and listen to a lot of stuff, actually are Brian Wilson/beach boys fans)..... most music stores 'get it' and put anything new by the Beach Boys out on the main displays.

Good example, last year (or the year before, can't remember) I was in a huge indy record store, and it was Christmas, and they had a display with about 50 copies of the BEACH BOYS Christmas CD up on display.  THAT'S one of the ones they chose to promote... 50 years later.  This is typical of most indy stores, they know that it's hip to be square, and it has been for about 50 years now.

If you're on the internet, on 'an average music page' maybe you should go to a page that's less than average if all the people there say they don't want to hear a guy sing like a girl.  "I Dont SURF" is similar to saying "I'm a fatass who plays call of duty all day"  I don't know why you would take somebody saying something caustic like that about something they know nothing about as anything more than just noise.  And again, I've got to say, nobody tells me things like that, I don't know who your hanging out with but I hang out with winners, not negative losers who talk trash about anything they don't understand.  Surfing.  Really?

If your friends don't like your music, that's fine... but if their rationale is "They suck" or "They sing like girls" or "Surfing sucks" your friends are losers.  You should get new friends.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »

If I can tell people I like ABBA, The Carpenters, Neil Diamond and David Soul without feeling no shame then admitting to being a Beach Boys fan should pose no problem for me.

This reminded me of something that happened to me the other day.  I own a retail video game store, and we just play whatever we want on the internet.  So lately I've been playing like Billboard's top hits, or whatever, and the other day was playing the top hits from 1975.  I love all types of music generally, and enjoy about anything... so this is playing in the background. 

Hot chick walks in.  She's with a guy but still, hot chick in the house. 

So she's looking around, buys a few games, and then says "I must say, the music selection today is especially good" and I laughed and agreed.

The songs that were playing, were "Have you Never Been Mellow" by Olivia Newton John, and then "Never Can Say Goodbye" by Gloria Gaynor.

Cool people, hot people, don't ridicule other people for what they're listening to.  That olivia newton john song is god awful but for the moment it was pretty funny to see a big guy like me listening to this crap, the girl smiled, we laughed, I beat up her boyfriend and then now we're going out!!!!!

I dreamed half of that
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2014, 09:34:22 AM »

I'm not trying to bag on oyou, I'm just trying to point out that you're describing a bunch of idiots, what do you care what they say?  That's starting to be a reflection on YOU, you should be laughing at THEM, they're idiots!

So you go to a 'record fair' (what the f*** is that?) and ask for Beach Boys albums, and the guy says "I don't have Surfing Crap".  So this is the guy you trust to buy records from, or to trust his opinion, or even CARE what his opinion is?  I'd laugh at his face and tell him what a dumbass he is.  Then I'd explain to him how much money he's losing because he's stupid enough to laugh off the second most successful band of all time, and has missed out on all their bootleg money for 50 years, nice job wise ass, keep laughing.  I guess i'll take this 4 grand in my pocket to another table, f*** you very much.

You said the Beach Boys are in the 50's and 60's section at your music store.  At all of mine they're not, they're right next to the Beastie Boys.  What record store do you go to that puts albums from the 70's in the 50's section?  Why is this even a problem?  At my music store (or any I've ever been to, honestly) they're 'hip' enough to get how cool the Beach Boys are (I find most people who are fluent in music, and listen to a lot of stuff, actually are Brian Wilson/beach boys fans)..... most music stores 'get it' and put anything new by the Beach Boys out on the main displays.

Good example, last year (or the year before, can't remember) I was in a huge indy record store, and it was Christmas, and they had a display with about 50 copies of the BEACH BOYS Christmas CD up on display.  THAT'S one of the ones they chose to promote... 50 years later.  This is typical of most indy stores, they know that it's hip to be square, and it has been for about 50 years now.

If you're on the internet, on 'an average music page' maybe you should go to a page that's less than average if all the people there say they don't want to hear a guy sing like a girl.  "I Dont SURF" is similar to saying "I'm a fatass who plays call of duty all day"  I don't know why you would take somebody saying something caustic like that about something they know nothing about as anything more than just noise.  And again, I've got to say, nobody tells me things like that, I don't know who your hanging out with but I hang out with winners, not negative losers who talk trash about anything they don't understand.  Surfing.  Really?

If your friends don't like your music, that's fine... but if their rationale is "They suck" or "They sing like girls" or "Surfing sucks" your friends are losers.  You should get new friends.

Superb Post!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:35:16 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »

I've been to quite a few record fairs, flea markets, independent record stores etc. The fact that I'm looking for Beach Boys/60s stuff always impresses people, I've never been laughed at or mocked once. You have to be confident, though. You like what you like and anyone else's opinion shouldn't matter.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »

I'm one of those people who are shameless about anything I like. As far as I'm concern most people have crappy taste in music, and I could care less. Good for me. More Sunflower and Love You for me.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:30 PM »

I meant to the General Public and Casual music fans.

To this day it can be embarrassing to ask someone at a Record Fair if they have any Beach Boys. They usually say stuff like they don't have surfing crap or stuff like that. They usually laugh when I ask where the BB's are.
When I'm at an general music store, the Beach Boys aren't at the Popular section like it's contemporaries the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. They're always at the 50's and 60's section. I think that says a lot about how they are considered by the general public.

On the Internet, for example on a average Music page, whenever there's news of the BB's, the comments are usually harshly negative. Examples include "Fucking surf music, I DON'T SURF", "I don't like hearing guys sing like little girls, they suck", "Who cares about the fucking Beach Boys", etc.

Their reputation and image is poor and for the most part destroyed by the public. I find it very sad, but unfortunately that's the truth.

I'm not trying to bag on oyou, I'm just trying to point out that you're describing a bunch of idiots, what do you care what they say?  That's starting to be a reflection on YOU, you should be laughing at THEM, they're idiots!

So you go to a 'record fair' (what the f*** is that?) and ask for Beach Boys albums, and the guy says "I don't have Surfing Crap".  So this is the guy you trust to buy records from, or to trust his opinion, or even CARE what his opinion is?  I'd laugh at his face and tell him what a dumbass he is.  Then I'd explain to him how much money he's losing because he's stupid enough to laugh off the second most successful band of all time, and has missed out on all their bootleg money for 50 years, nice job wise ass, keep laughing.  I guess i'll take this 4 grand in my pocket to another table, f*** you very much.

You said the Beach Boys are in the 50's and 60's section at your music store.  At all of mine they're not, they're right next to the Beastie Boys.  What record store do you go to that puts albums from the 70's in the 50's section?  Why is this even a problem?  At my music store (or any I've ever been to, honestly) they're 'hip' enough to get how cool the Beach Boys are (I find most people who are fluent in music, and listen to a lot of stuff, actually are Brian Wilson/beach boys fans)..... most music stores 'get it' and put anything new by the Beach Boys out on the main displays.

Good example, last year (or the year before, can't remember) I was in a huge indy record store, and it was Christmas, and they had a display with about 50 copies of the BEACH BOYS Christmas CD up on display.  THAT'S one of the ones they chose to promote... 50 years later.  This is typical of most indy stores, they know that it's hip to be square, and it has been for about 50 years now.

If you're on the internet, on 'an average music page' maybe you should go to a page that's less than average if all the people there say they don't want to hear a guy sing like a girl.  "I Dont SURF" is similar to saying "I'm a fatass who plays call of duty all day"  I don't know why you would take somebody saying something caustic like that about something they know nothing about as anything more than just noise.  And again, I've got to say, nobody tells me things like that, I don't know who your hanging out with but I hang out with winners, not negative losers who talk trash about anything they don't understand.  Surfing.  Really?

If your friends don't like your music, that's fine... but if their rationale is "They suck" or "They sing like girls" or "Surfing sucks" your friends are losers.  You should get new friends.

Haha! This is one of the most hilarious and entertaining posts I've ever read on this site. Or anywhere, for that matter. Well done.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »

Embarrassed?

They've had more top 40 hits than any other American band.

Their principle songwriter is considered a pop music genius.

They recorded an album that influenced The Beatles to write one of their most influential albums.

Currently popular musicians are citing them as a strong influence.

College classes analyse Brian Wilson's music.

And people of all generations sing along whenever my group pulls out a Beach Boys song at a car show or community event.

Nope. No reason to be embarrassed that I can see.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »

I'm not embarrassed of being a Beach Boys fan.  In fact, I throw them out all the time as one of my favorite bands when talking about music.  Many people are surprised that I like them so much because I've been a guitar player for 25 years and I usually listened to guitar dominated music.  I have a sense of pride in being a BB fan.  For one, they could only be an American band (from California).  They basically existed in an era as if the British Invasion didn't exist.  That to me is simply a stunning and impossible feat.  Brian Wilson could have followed the trends when the Beatles appeared on CBS TV 50 years ago.  But he didn't.  He did it HIS way.  That is an aspect of the BB that isn't always mentioned.  When he was knocked out by how good the American version of Rubber Soul was (hey, let's face it, I think Capitol did ok on that one), he didn't set out to copy it - he wanted to do an album his way, but better.  When I bring that fact up about how Brian basically kept the BB sound as American as he could, a lot of people step back and say, "Wow, you're right!  That IS impressive!"  But of course, beyond the glory years, the trippy summer of 1967, the mellower late 1967-1969 era, the Sunflower and Surf's Up era, the Blondie and Ricky era, the late 70's, and beyond - there's so much music to love.  And a lot of people tend to be impressed when I play them some of the later material.

I went to see Brian Wilson and Co. at Ravinia this summer.  My friend had bought Holland on vinyl after I played it for him.  His wife came to the show saying she hoped they'd play material from that album, which was nice to hear.  You usually expect someone to say they hope to hear Surfin USA or California Girls.  At some point in the show, Al announced that they were going to play two songs from Holland.  It was almost as if they heard her request.  It just goes to show that when people hear more of their work, they get it.  That was cool.  Yes, I am happy to tell people I am a fan!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »

I've never, ever been embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan. Ever since I became a fan in 1970, I have never stopped promoting them. I've personally had reservations about a couple of their albums and have not played them in the company of others, but other than that, you can't be embarrassed by a band with a songwriter who was responsible for an acknowledged masterpiece album, 39 top 10 singles, and sales of 100-350 million records.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »

To Ron,
I never said my friends hate the Beach Boys. They never said what I described. Those who don't like the Beach Boys only don't like them because they don't like all "old" music.
I was describing some of the people I have come across at places like Record Fairs. There are some people who aren't like that, like this person I got Smiley Smile from. But there are just as many, if not more who consider the BB's to be a joke.
If you don't know, Record Fairs are events where people sell their old records. It's usually at places like Town Halls. I think in America it's called Record Shows, correct me if I'm wrong.
I remember that when MIC came out, I didn't see a single copy anywhere at music stores, and it wasn't promoted. The Smile Sessions and TWGMTR fared better, but wasn't exactly top priority for the stores when they came out. And I guess it also depends on which store you go, I mainly go to JB HI FI and it's never in the "Popular" section.
Also, I meant people say they sound like girls when they sing, not that they were singing about girls. I guess I should have explained that better.
As for the Compilation debate, you did misunderstand me a bit. Endless Summer wasn't their first compilation, their first one came out years earlier. When the Beatles released the Red and Blue albums, not only were they already broken up with their legacy sealed, but those albums picked the best songs from their entire career, not just one part of it.
Usually, a Greatest Hits is either good, or at least one that disappears eventually. With Endless Summer, when it came out it was a success. But with that their image as a Nostalgic Surf band was set, and people only wanted to hear the old hits. After Endless Summer, the BB's stopped making an effort to try and change their image, create great albums and make quality music. After Endless Summer, their focus turned to oldies music, instead of contemporary. This was clearly shown on the mediocre "15 Big Ones". The quality of their newer music declined sharply, with a few good exceptions (Love You, half of L.A. Light Album, most of the 85 album, etc.).
Most compilations don't damage a group's career. In fact it pretty much never does. With the exception of the BB's and Endless Summer.
Feel free to disagree, that's just my honest opinion.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:24:28 PM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »

I like to tell people that the Beach Boys made a huge impression on:

The Beatles
The Byrds
The Mamas and Papas
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Chicago
The Eagles
Tom Petty
The Ramones
Daniel Johnston
Sonic Youth
REM
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Hi Llamas
The Fleet Foxes

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »

To Ron,
I never said none of my friends hate the Beach Boys. They never said what I described. Those who don't like the Beach Boys only don't like them because they don't like all "old" music.
I was describing some of the people I have come across at places like Record Fairs. There are some people who aren't like that, like this person I got Smiley Smile from. But there are just as many, if not more who consider the BB's to be a joke.
If you don't know, Record Fairs are events where people sell their old records. It's usually at places like Town Halls. I think in America it's called Record Shows, correct me if I'm wrong.
I remember that when MIC came out, I didn't see a single copy anywhere at music stores, and it wasn't promoted. The Smile Sessions and TWGMTR fared better, but wasn't exactly top priority for the stores when they came out. And I guess it also depends on which store you go, I mainly go to JB HI FI and it's never in the "Popular" section.
Also, I meant people say they sound like girls when they sing, not that they were singing about girls. I guess I should have explained that better.
As for the Compilation debate, you did misunderstand me a bit. Endless Summer wasn't their first compilation, their first one came out years earlier. When the Beatles released the Red and Blue albums, not only were they already broken up with their legacy sealed, but those albums picked the best songs from their entire career, not just one part of it.
Usually, a Greatest Hits is either good, or at least one that disappears eventually. With Endless Summer, when it came out it was a success. But with that their image as a Nostalgic Surf band was set, and people only wanted to hear the old hits. After Endless Summer, the BB's stopped making an effort to try and change their image, create great albums and make quality music. After Endless Summer, their focus turned to oldies music, instead of contemporary. This was clearly shown on the mediocre "15 Big Ones". The quality of their newer music declined sharply, with a few good exceptions (Love You, half of L.A. Light Album, most of the 85 album, etc.).
Most compilations don't damage a group's career. In fact it pretty much never does. With the exception of the BB's and Endless Summer.

Your problem is then that you're in a weird country I suppose.  I live in America and the Beach Boys are pretty beloved by most people that I know or meet.  Over here, people start listening to 'oldies' when they're babies and generally still love the music no matter what age they are, everybody I know grew up listening to bands like the Beach Boys from their earliest memories.  Maybe over there it's different. 

I know several Black people who like the Beach Boys.  Top that.

As for the Endless Summer thing, you're just wrong about all that.  That's o.k.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »

To Ron,
I never said none of my friends hate the Beach Boys. They never said what I described. Those who don't like the Beach Boys only don't like them because they don't like all "old" music.

Your problem is then that you're in a weird country I suppose.  I live in America and the Beach Boys are pretty beloved by most people that I know or meet.  Over here, people start listening to 'oldies' when they're babies and generally still love the music no matter what age they are, everybody I know grew up listening to bands like the Beach Boys from their earliest memories.  Maybe over there it's different. 

I know several Black people who like the Beach Boys.  Top that.

As for the Endless Summer thing, you're just wrong about all that.  That's o.k.

I wouldn't say Australia is weird at all. But I guess it may be a bit different here, but I doubt it.

So if Endless Summer wasn't the cause of the Beach Boys decline artistically and degeneration into an oldies band, what do you think is the cause?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »

To Ron,

Your problem is then that you're in a weird country I suppose.  I live in America and the Beach Boys are pretty beloved by most people that I know or meet.  Over here, people start listening to 'oldies' when they're babies and generally still love the music no matter what age they are, everybody I know grew up listening to bands like the Beach Boys from their earliest memories.  Maybe over there it's different.  

I know several Black people who like the Beach Boys.  Top that.

As for the Endless Summer thing, you're just wrong about all that.  That's o.k.

Afro that's me  LOL  Rock!

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx