gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:16:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs credited to Brian Wilson that he didn't really write  (Read 14768 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »

Which raises an interesting question. When people look at songwriting credits nowadays they often scoff at it because they credit so many people; whereas back in the good ole days the credits were limited to the barest essentials. Is the criteria for giving credit different now than it used to be, rather than a lack of talent by an artist?

Actually, it is different, which is why so many people are credited for  writing songs these days.  A lot of writing credits are suspect, to say the least. Hell, Britney Spears actually wrote a great deal more music on her past few albums that she didn't get credit on due to the nature of her conservatorship (which was amended recently). These days, many credits are given for things which in the past would be put down as 'arranging', which is also why you don't see the latter credited much anymore on albums.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »

Lets go to Heaven in my car.. I read an article were Bruce offered to BUY the title he loved it so much.. Now whats this rumor I heard along time ago about that line in a Dennis Wilson Song..??  Cant remember..
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »

Appropriately, Brian is NOT credited for "Kokomo," because he did not write any of it. But in case there is any doubt, Mike Love makes sure that everyone knows Brian had nothing to do with the song. Brian is equally thrilled to confirm those claims.

Actually, in some footage I've seen through the years, Brian actually appears disappointed that he wasn't involved with "Kokomo". At least it seemed that way to me...

I've read an article in which Brian's people told a reporter that Brian would never like to discuss the song ever, under any circumstances.

That's Brian's people, not Brian. Brian's people also said to never ask questions about Gene Landy, whom Brian had previously brought up in interviews in a positive way. Brian has said many times over the years that he wishes he had been invited to sing on "Kokomo." There's also some interview footage I've seen of him singing bits of the song. The song was not written by Mike alone, but co-written by John Phillips, who was a friend of Brian's. No doubt that Brian liked the song at least a little bit and more likely, he just wanted to be featured on a hit record.

Kokomo is really a John Phillips song. Mike added the "Aruba, Jamaica..." line and Melcher probably helped flesh it out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:42:56 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »

Well, as far as Sunflower, we know for a fact Brian wrote "This Whole World", "Add Some Music", "Our Sweet Love" and "Cool, Cool Water". As far as what he did with them is a different story. I guess we could say he pretty much saw "This Whole World" and "Add Some Music" through to their completion. For "Our Sweet Love", I'm pretty sure it's well known 'round these parts that he started it, and abandoned after he had the track cut, along with the fade, which one can listen to right here! After that apparently Al and Carl took it upon themselves to finish it, which would explain the credit to all three. We also know that "Cool, Cool Water" was originally started as a recording in 1967, and one could say that if you wanna trace it's roots you could say it's composition started in 1966 with with what was titled "Da Da" on the SMiLE box set. However, it is obvioius that Brian was involved at least near the completion of the song as he shares the lead with Mike on the last part of the song.

I suppose the only real question mark is "All I Wanna Do". I've heard some say it was mostly a Mike composition with Brian just finding the chords behind Mike's melody. But even that would still be considered worthy of a writer's credit right? Who knows if that's the way it happened anyways.

But regardless, I think my former belief that there were seven Brian Wilson songs on Sunflower isn't quite true, as "Diedre" is really Bruce's and "At My Window" is really Al's (or to be more honest perhaps Will Holt, who composed "Raspberries, Strawberries").

Thanks for the info. I totally forgot about that instrumental with Brian backing vocal version of "Our Sweet Love". That's a beautiful version, Brian's vocals are nice and clear.

Anyway it is fascinating to think about his contributions on Sunflower because I always took the credits to be as accurate to who wrote the song, and I assumed if Brian's name was first, he had mostly had something to do with it. As this thread proves, that's not always true.

I still wonder a lot about those 2 songs myself. Never even knew Mike had so much to do with "All I Wanna Do" until reading about that here recently. I've never heard the original "Raspberries, Strawberries" before though. Does the "At My Window" vocal melody sound anything like it? If not, I wonder who came up with the melody, because I find it to be a really nice one, one of my favorites.

I'm sure (like someone else here said, can't remember who), Brian most likely only just came up with the stupid French part and that's it.   LOL
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:52:00 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:46 PM »

I recall a TV appearance The Beach Boys made during the Stars & Stripes period; it was on an evening talk/variety show on the Country Music Channel or whatever it was called. And, eventually the talk turned to "Kokomo". The studio audience began to applaud and Brian - yes, Brian - points to Mike Love and yells out, "There's the man", obviously giving credit to Mike. It was kinda nice, he didn't have to do it, and, obviously he wasn't shying away from the subject.

... or maybe he was just making sure they knew he had nothing to do with it.  Grin

I've never heard the original "Raspberries, Strawberries" before though. Does the "At My Window" vocal melody sound anything like it?

Judge for yourself:

Raspberries, Strawberries

Might find this amusing too:

The Wanderer

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:05:56 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 01:14:03 AM »

Al Jardine is to folk music what Led Zeppelin is to the blues. Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »

Truly.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 01:57:07 AM »

...and both Al and Zep do a bang-up job at it. I mean, Zep made me dig deeper into blues, and thanks to Al my appreciation of US folk music has deepened considerably.

And hey, let's not forget I found Leadbelly through Nirvana.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 04:56:10 AM »

Now whats this rumor I heard along time ago about that line in a Dennis Wilson Song..??  Cant remember..

No rumor at all. "Dreamer." About 1:42 into the song on the 2008 reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue: "...they couldn't get to heaven in their car."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 04:59:41 AM »

I recall a TV appearance The Beach Boys made during the Stars & Stripes period; it was on an evening talk/variety show on the Country Music Channel or whatever it was called. And, eventually the talk turned to "Kokomo". The studio audience began to applaud and Brian - yes, Brian - points to Mike Love and yells out, "There's the man", obviously giving credit to Mike. It was kinda nice, he didn't have to do it, and, obviously he wasn't shying away from the subject.

... or maybe he was just making sure they knew he had nothing to do with it.  Grin

I've never heard the original "Raspberries, Strawberries" before though. Does the "At My Window" vocal melody sound anything like it?

Judge for yourself:

The Wanderer

Also Al's "California energy blues" has some elements from another Kingston Trio song. And IIRC same goes for "Lookin' at tomorrow". Can't remember which songs though. But of course in folk music it is not uncommon to do this.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »

Also Al's "California energy blues" has some elements from another Kingston Trio song. And IIRC same goes for "Lookin' at tomorrow". Can't remember which songs though. But of course in folk music it is not uncommon to do this.

Roll Eyes  Cheesy
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:24 AM »

Judge for yourself:

The Wanderer

Lookin At Tomorrow is "The Wanderer" that AGD posted above.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »

Al has said that he can't remember Brian having anything to do with California Calling and that Brian had very little to do with At My Window.

I'm willing to bet Brian's contribution was:

"La mwayno....eh vehyoo.....supozay...ah ma foo NET!"
Huh?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »

Al has said that he can't remember Brian having anything to do with California Calling and that Brian had very little to do with At My Window.

I'm willing to bet Brian's contribution was:

"La mwayno....eh vehyoo.....supozay...ah ma foo NET!"
Huh?

The french part of the song in "At My Window."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »

(aka "Le moineau est venu se pose à ma fenêtre.")

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »

He didn't write the tag to Sunshine (though it's credited to both Joe and Brian, I still felt ripped off when I found out about that).

Then again, all throughout Brian's career he has gotten musical input/ideas from his collaborators, so it really shouldn't bother me that much.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »

Here's Macca talking about the intro. Seems to be saying he came up with it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0Ivn-jXM0
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »

Here's Macca talking about the intro. Seems to be saying he came up with it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0Ivn-jXM0

In the same sense that George wrote <place song title here>'s guitar solo. Yes.

How did we get on this anyway? Both John and Paul's names are on the ding-dang song!  LOL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:46:45 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »

Judge for yourself:

The Wanderer

Lookin At Tomorrow is "The Wanderer" that AGD posted above.

Ah, thanks. I couldn't listen when I posted my message 'cause I was in the university.

And I remembered the other song. "M.T.A." :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1bvY7IqZY

He didn't write the tag to Sunshine (though it's credited to both Joe and Brian, I still felt ripped off when I found out about that).

Even though? Brian wrote the verses so it's a co-write. No reason for feeling ripped off.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »

Even though? Brian wrote the verses so it's a co-write. No reason for feeling ripped off.

Yeah, I was referring only to the tag - I think the song itself is great. It's such a great coda that I assumed it was created by Brian....hence my disappointment.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »

I was surprised to find out about some of the songs that have been borrowed in Al songs, so I started thinking about how many of his songs have borrowed from another song.  I count 6 that I believe are all original, are these correct?

Here are his songs:
At My Window - Rasperries, Strawberries - The Kingston Trio
Lookin At Tomorrow - The Wanderer - The Kingston Trio
California Saga/The Beaks Of Eagles - Original
California Saga/California - California Girls
Susie Cincinnati - Original
Lady Lynda\Lady Liberty - Bach
California Calling - Original
Island Girl - I think someone has mentioned that this is another Kingston Trio song
PT Cruiser - Numerous Car songs
California Energy Blues \ California Recall Blues - M.T.A - The Kingston Trio
A Postcard From California - Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell
Lookig Down The Coast - Original
San Simeon - Don't Worry Baby (the beginning)
Drivin' - Tuesday Afternoon - The Moody Blues
And I Always Will - Original
Waves of Love - Original
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »

Island Girl - I think someone has mentioned that this is another Kingston Trio song

Well, it partly uses the melody of Buddy Holly's "Everyday".

- Jack Rieley
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

I was surprised to find out about some of the songs that have been borrowed in Al songs, so I started thinking about how many of his songs have borrowed from another song.  I count 6 that I believe are all original, are these correct?

Here are his songs:
Waves of Love - Original

California Calling borrows pretty heavily from Surfin' USA

And Waves of Love borrows from California Girls and Help Me Rhonda.
Nicko1234
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »

Here are his songs:
Waves of Love - Original

Hasn't Al said that And I Always Will is Chopin inspired?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »

And we have a bit of reversal:

"Walkin' The Line" --> borrows a bit from "Lookin' Down The Coast"

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx