gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681691 Posts in 27656 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 28, 2024, 06:53:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Really? Still???  (Read 11185 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

So I'm wondering...he admits he's wrong in his article...but the article remains active and unedited?

How can an article like this stay unaltered in the face of evidence to the contrary? A bit mindblowing, don't you think?

I can’t imagine another major band from the 60s having a myth perpetuated like the overblown Wrecking Crew credits, in the face of opposing evidence. I can’t imagine a scenario like this happening with The Stones or The Beatles, for example. Only in BB land.

The perception was (and probably still is) that The Monkees used studio cats exclusively on their stuff..

By the way, I don't think the Mama's and Papa's ever said that they played on their records, did they?  Wasn't John Phillips the only one who could play an instrument?

It’s one thing for there to be a general incorrect “perception” based on years of misinformation, like with The Monkees, but for a 2014 newly-written article to specifically state incorrect facts (and not retract them) in the face of contrary evidence, is just baffling.  I think it comes down to stuff like this being allowed to happen since the BBs are simply not respected/appreciated as they should be.

Be honest. We're lucky. If it weren't for guys like Jon and Ian and their research, we wouldn't know the real truth either. Some of these article writers don't know the facts and don't have access to AFM sheets nor do they have 'inside' sources for information. Some guess at details. Some refer to the Badman book or Brian's book and get it wrong. We're hardcores and we read the message boards and the reputable publications for the facts. Some of these article writers don't take the time with their research or they plagerize other sources. According to Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye, there was a historian named Russ Wapenski who was suppose to come up with the definitive publication on these studio session matters, but I don't think it ever came to fruition. At least I've never seen it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:50:13 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »

According to Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye, there was a historian named Russ Wapenski who was suppose to come up with the definitive publication on these studio session matters, but I don't think it ever came to fruition. At least I've never seen it.

Several years back, when CK was bellowing about how her friend Russ Wapensky was writing a book that would prove her right and shut me up into the bargain, I contacted his publishers - Greenwood Press* - and asked how the book was progressing, to be told that the contract had been cancelled in 2003. So, not happening. Just for good measure I emailed Wapensky too. Not a peep.

[* oddly, also the publisher that I signed a contract with to collaborate with one Brad Elliott on a BB project in 2000. It fell through because, basically (and this isn't in any way libellous but the simple truth) he went on the run from the investors of the First Wave project who, not unreasonably, wanted their money back, and was uncontactable. Serendipitously, the work I'd done formed the foundation of the 10452 website, but there was an amusing postscript a year or so later when Greenwood requested I return the advance, please: amusing because I'd never received any such advance ($1000, I believe). They also asked if I knew of the whereabouts of Mr. Elliott, as they were equally anxious to have his advance returned. Couldn't help them in that.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:26:27 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »

According to Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye, there was a historian named Russ Wapenski who was suppose to come up with the definitive publication on these studio session matters, but I don't think it ever came to fruition. At least I've never seen it.

Several years back, when CK was bellowing about how her friend Russ Wapensky was writing a book that would prove her right and shut me up into the bargain, I contacted his publishers - Greenwood Press* - and asked how the book was progressing, to be told that the contract had been cancelled in 2003. So, not happening. Just for good measure I emailed Wapensky too. Not a peep.

[* oddly, also the publisher that I signed a contract with to collaborate with one Brad Elliott on a BB project in 2000. It fell through because, basically (and this isn't in any way libellous but the simple truth) he went on the run from the investors of the First Wave project who, not unreasonably, wanted their money back, and was uncontactable. Serendipitously, the work I'd done formed the foundation of the 10452 website, but there was an amusing postscript a year or so later when Greenwood requested I return the advance, please: amusing because I'd never received any such advance ($1000, I believe). They also asked if I knew of the whereabouts of Mr. Elliott, as they were equally anxious to have his advance returned. Couldn't help them in that.]

Wow, BE was really slick, getting not only his advance, but, also somehow, yours. I sometimes wonder how deep a hole he really dug for himself, and if he'll ever have enough $$ to repay everyone he "borrowed" from.  maybe he's working on that now.  

Mikie: Sticks and stones! Sticks and stones

Today was a REALLY good news day for me; hope to have the evidence in a few more...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:50:43 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »

It would be really nice if Brad's been working behind the scenes on a Beach Boys Sessions book all this time.  But I kinda doubt it.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »

Just posted this on the Crew Facebook page: let's see how long it stays up.  Grin

And the answer is, about 65 minutes.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

I sometimes wonder how deep a hole he really dug for himself, and if he'll ever have enough $$ to repay everyone he "borrowed" from.  maybe he's working on that now.  

You keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »

Just posted this on the Crew Facebook page: let's see how long it stays up.  Grin

And the answer is, about 65 minutes.  Grin
Wow...so now the Tedesco Wrecking Crew Film facebook page has deleted Andrew's post which only gave very factual info to correct something they have been promoting which is 100% wrong. Can this WC entity be so fragile as to not want the RIGHT information on the site that promotes the film, and the facebook page that promotes both? We tried teling them this two years ago, Mark Linett tried telling them this as well many months ago...yet they persist in insisting on denial.

Also Thanks to Mark K. and Rob for posting in the Huffington article comments section. Wondering if Harold will respond to your concerns? I doubt it.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

actually, this really sux that this delicate information is still being 'wiped over' onto future history pages....

surely............. SURELY!!!

with the evidence given, the guy or the family, could say, Yes! we've made a critical error here..... let's change it and make a wrong right....

and say 'Thankyou' to the guys that 'showed him the light'......

makes me NOT want to watch his so called 'wrecking crew' doco..... how many more 'inaccuracies' may be in it.....

RickB
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

Carol Kaye doesn't moderate their Facebook page by any chance?  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »

The thing that really burns me - and I suspect Jon too as he shares my regard for historical accuracy - is that as soon as we saw the AFM sheets in question some two years ago, we told Denny Tedesco they were wrong, and he thanked us and said he'd fix it in a few days.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »

Carol Kaye doesn't moderate their Facebook page by any chance?  Wink

That's the funny thing - she totally hates the movie and Tedesco, and will run it and him down at every possible opportunity, saying she was misled, misquoted and so on. Probably even more so now that the Crew movie made its Kickstarter target (and then some: $313,157 against a goal of $250,000) while a documentary of her only raised $2465 of the $125,000 required.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:16:10 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »

Carol Kaye doesn't moderate their Facebook page by any chance?  Wink

That's the funny thing - she totally hates the movie and Tedesco, and will run it and him down at every possible opportunity, saying she was misled, misquoted and so on. Probably even more so now that the Crew movie made its Kickstarter target (and then some: $313,157 against a goal of $250,00) while a documentary of her only raised $2465 of the $125,000 required.

Does that mean all of the CK donaters will get their $$ back? or will that go towards BE's debts...( cuz they both have two letters)

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »

The Wrecking Crew in general love to crow about how they were the ones responsible for so many hits in the '60s, but most of them had complete contempt for rock music. They had little respect for either the bands, writers, or audience of the music. That may be the reason they're not interested in accuracy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »

So it makes you wonder about the legitimacy and accuracy and general quality of this upcoming Wrecking Crew movie. Knowing that facts and corrections that are presented to them by authors and historians who have done their homework and then the historical data is being rejected? You know, many of the primary sources are either deceased or are relying on their 40-50 year old memories for accuracy. And as we all know (don't we?) the AFM sheets can't even be relied upon 100% for accuracy. Maybe Denny Tedesco is concerned more about the drama and getting the movie out there than having to correct anything. I mean, now is the time to do it before its release!

So Carol doesn't get along with Denny Tedesco? She must have gotten along with his Dad. Wonder what Tommy and Carol thought of one another.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »

Guys -

So Mr. Bronson gets the facts wrong...why are we getting so highly offended over this?  Call me crazy but I do not believe the Earth will spin off its axis over a factually incorrect article about the Beach Boys. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »

Guys -

So Mr. Bronson gets the facts wrong...why are we getting so highly offended over this?  Call me crazy but I do not believe the Earth will spin off its axis over a factually incorrect article about the Beach Boys. 

You're CRAZY

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »

I don't think an article in HuffPo is worth being too worked up about. The LA or NY Times, yes, or some other legit news outlet. I don't think anyone reads much about entertainment in HuffPo. It tends to get most page hits for "breaking news" (as they see fit to cover it) and low brow tabloid type stories. It's like a cross between the Drudge Report and TMZ.com.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »

I don't think an article in HuffPo is worth being too worked up about. The LA or NY Times, yes, or some other legit news outlet. I don't think anyone reads much about entertainment in HuffPo. It tends to get most page hits for "breaking news" (as they see fit to cover it) and low brow tabloid type stories. It's like a cross between the Drudge Report and TMZ.com.
Yeah, but it seems like 99% of the stuff on FB (which is unfortunately how a lot of people these days get their news) are people reposting fluff-laden, tabloid "list" articles like this.  Regardless of the source, you'd expect a guy firmly entrenched in the music biz to get his facts right, and at the very least redact the bad info when called out on it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »

The Wrecking Crew in general love to crow about how they were the ones responsible for so many hits in the '60s, but most of them had complete contempt for rock music. They had little respect for either the bands, writers, or audience of the music. That may be the reason they're not interested in accuracy.

This is wrong, and if accuracy is what we're striving for at least do a few minutes of research before posting. I would call the statements complete crap but I'm a nice guy.

EDIT: Forget nice, the statement is complete crap.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:28:33 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »

Does that mean all of the CK donaters will get their $$ back? or will that go towards BE's debts...( cuz they both have two letters)

I may be wrong but I think it needs to reach a goal before any real money is actually collected, and depending on the site (there are plenty of them, it seems), that goal for pledged money is high enough so every crank selling a machine that turns dollar bills into 100 dollar bills can't f*** people over. I don't think it actually exists as anything but a pledge until the goal is reached. And even then I don't quite understand how the pledge is actually collected as real cash money.

They need to bring back "Bowling For Dollars".  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »

Is this the Wrecking Crew movie that everybody keeps talking about?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:12:21 AM by RiC » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 12:40:35 AM »

Can't speak for anyone else, but here's what boils my piss (thanks Billy) about this all:

1 - Harold is not only a man with a huge musical connection, but also something of a Monkees aficionado, yet he still toes the "didn't play" line...

2 - his info is spurious, yet derived from a site that anyone not in the know (i.e. someone who isn't... well... us) would imagine to be the ultimate authority.

3 - that said, he didn't even look at anything more than the musicians and song title...

4 - said site has known for over two years that three of their Beach Boys AFM contracts are nothing of the sort, yet hasn't corrected the error.

5 - can you imagine this happening to that Liverpool band ?

And... this is nothing whatsoever to do with the above, except in the abstract, but the thought's just occurred to me - are there, say, Katy Perry or Justin Beiber fans out there with our degree of obsession with detail ?

Nah... thought not...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 12:54:09 AM »

And... this is nothing whatsoever to do with the above, except in the abstract, but the thought's just occurred to me - are there, say, Katy Perry or Justin Beiber fans out there with our degree of obsession with detail ?

Didn't they play trombone and ukelele on the Surfin Safari sessions?

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 12:58:56 AM »

Do copies of the AFM sheets from the real BB's sessions for those songs exist? If so, make them available or post copies and it's a done deal.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »

No need ! To anyone with an ounce of nous, the most basic of BB knowledge and a flicker of an investigative spirit, it's obvious that those sheets can't be for the BB versions. Lookit here:

On the AFM sheet dated July 10th 1964...

Almost all the musicians are playing the instruments of an orchestra - violin, cello, viola and the like.

The tracks listed are as follows:

Don't Worry, Baby
Fun, Fun, Fun
In My Room
Wendy
I Get Around
The Warmth Of The Sun
She Knows Me Too Well...

Which were released, respectively...

May 11th 1964
February 3rd 1964
September 16th 1963 (album)
July 13th (album)
May 11th 1964
March 2nd 1964 (album)
August 24th 1964 (granted, this is a complete poser as the song hadn't even been recorded by July 10th, much less released: WTF ?)

So, unless the BB had mastered the art of time travel and devoted that knowledge to recording songs after they'd been released...  Grin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:30:46 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx