gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 09:24:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Really? Still???  (Read 11155 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harold-bronson/top-ten-hits-from-the-sixties_b_4590552.html

And from Harold Bronson, no less.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:02:06 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »

They've used the AFM sheet posted on the Wrecking Crew movie site... the one that Stebbins and I told Tedesco OVER TWO YEARS AGO was not for the Beach Boys session.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »

They've used the AFM sheet posted on the Wrecking Crew movie site... the one that Stebbins and I told Tedesco OVER TWO YEARS AGO was not for the Beach Boys session.

I remember there also being a discussion on Facebook on the Wrecking Crew site.
What the responsible people don't realize is that the sheets they used are probably from cover versions of Beach Boys songs that members of the crew played on. It's frustrating. The Beach Boys deserve much more credit for playing on their records. I believe up until Today! they played the majority of instruments

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:37 AM »

What the responsible people don't realize is that the sheets they used are probably from cover versions of Beach Boys songs that members of the crew played on. It's frustrating. The Beach Boys deserve much more credit for playing on their records. I believe up until Today! they played the majority of instruments

Your belief is true. When the MIC online sessionography arrives...which it will, soon...it will hopefully become the new standard of reference for such things, and the facts will be corrected in the general public consicousness for generations to come.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »

The problem is something like this piece on Huffington Post will be read by thousands more people than any sessionography. And as far as something being standard...when you have AGD, myself and even Mark Linett all telling Denny Tedesco he was perpetuating a myth with bad info regarding I Get Around and he ignored it...well...standards don't apply i guess.

I would encourage everyone who reads this and gets pissed off to post in the comments section on Huffington Post, and someone track down Harold Bronson and tell him he's an idiot. The musicians on the Beach Boys hit version of I Get Around are...Brian Wilson - keyboards, Dennis Wilson - drums, Carl Wilson - guitar, Al Jardine - bass, Ray Pohlman - bass, Hal Blaine - extra percussion, Steve Douglas and Jay Migliori - saxes. It's really a shame that someone who should know, like Harold Bronson is perpetuating a myth with incorrect information.

Your belief is true. When the MIC online sessionography arrives...which it will, soon...it will hopefully become the new standard of reference for such things, and the facts will be corrected in the general public consicousness for generations to come.

The problem is something like this piece on Huffington Post will be read by thousands more people than any sessionography. And as far as something being standard...when you have AGD, myself and even Mark Linett all telling Denny Tedesco he was perpetuating a myth with bad info regarding I Get Around and he ignored it...well...standards don't apply i guess.

I would encourage everyone who reads this and gets pissed off to post in the comments section on Huffington Post, and someone track down Harold Bronson and tell him he's an idiot. The musicians on the Beach Boys hit version of I Get Around are...Brian Wilson - keyboards, Dennis Wilson - drums, Carl Wilson - guitar, Al Jardine - bass, Ray Pohlman - bass, Hal Blaine - extra percussion, Steve Douglas and Jay Migliori - saxes. It's really a shame that someone who should know, like Harold Bronson is perpetuating a myth with incorrect information.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »

[/quote)
It may be "as of right" that you /someone can get a good-sized op-Ed in the Huff Post. You are correct that it has wide readership.  It might be paragraph limited, but more effective than posting in the comment section.  

The Wrecking Crew does have a story to tell, but it needs to be historically correct, or, the "puffing" concerning their actual sessions casts a credibility problem on the exact issues that they want "out there - and corrected" for posterity's sake.  

And, I did see the film and appreciate their work, but, it should not diminish the actual role the Boys played in their own recordings.  JMHO
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:45:35 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:28:45 AM »

Tried to log in there and put in my two cents. After I restrained myself from calling Bronson an idiot, I typed out a nice factual blurb but had a helluva time trying to log in so I gave up. If this guy has done this before, he should be repremanded. Huffington Post is a Conservative website, idinit? Yeah. So publishing one more lie ain't gonna hurt 'em.

For Harold Bronson: "The players on "I Get Around" were Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, and 4 members of the Wrecking Crew. And please do your homework before you say that "session men covered for them on most of their hits". You'll be surprised how many hits the Beach Boys themselves played on in the 60's".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:44:23 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »

Harold relied to Andrew's correction, saying thanks for the correction...but he added that the Wrecking Crew played on "most" of the Beach Boys '60's hits. I replied to that with this...

That's a bit of a myth Harold. Of the Beach Boys 27 top 40 hits in the '60's, they were the primary musicians on at least 15 of them including Surfin USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, In My Room, Fun Fun Fun, I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby, When I Grow Up To Be A Man, Dance Dance Dance, I Can Hear Music and Do It Again. The Wrecking Crew did provide instruments on many their hits too... California Girls, Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice, and Good Vibrations are great examples...but the majority of Beach Boys hits are played and sung by the Beach Boys.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »

fdp, this is a polite request to please learn to use the "quote" function properly, adding your comments at the end of the quoted posts and not somewhere in the middle, as you have here and previously. Simply scroll down all the way to the very bottom of the quotes until there is nothing after the final [/quote], then start typing.

Thanking you in advance.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »

For the record, the AFM sheet in question documents a session for The Catalinas Fun Fun Fun album, produced by Terry Melcher and released 9/64. Amusingly, Bruce contributes piano and backing vocals.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

So I'm wondering...he admits he's wrong in his article...but the article remains active and unedited?
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »

So I'm wondering...he admits he's wrong in his article...but the article remains active and unedited?

Even worse.  Ignorance is bliss but publishing known lies?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »

Does he own Rhino Records or just work for them?

HuffPo doesn't pay their writers. They also don't fact check or edit their writers. It's mostly a click farm for ads and considered a journalistic equivalent of Wikipedia, or a step below that.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »

Well the article isn't a complete waste of time as there is a link on that page for a story on a man who has no butt-crack. Pictures too.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »

Does he own Rhino Records or just work for them?

He co-founded Rhino. I met him a time or two in the 80s. Very nice guy. However, evidently a poor researcher. There's so much wrong with the AFM he saw and quoted that Stevie Wonder could see the problems.

1 - session was dated nine days after the single was released.

2 - the the six titles listed, five of them have never been recorded by, or even associated with, the band.

3 - there's no flute on "IGA".

4 - employer is listed as TM Music Inc. when it should be Capitol Records.

5 - the studio was RCA, which Brian hardly ever used

6 - the time of the track as listed is 1.58 whereas the Beach Boys release is 2.14.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »

You would think a guy whose former company spent tons of capital presenting the Monkees as legitimate would not perpetuate the BB never played on their records myth.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »

Tried to log in there and put in my two cents. After I restrained myself from calling Bronson an idiot, I typed out a nice factual blurb but had a helluva time trying to log in so I gave up. If this guy has done this before, he should be repremanded. Huffington Post is a Conservative website, idinit? Yeah. So publishing one more lie ain't gonna hurt 'em.

For Harold Bronson: "The players on "I Get Around" were Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, and 4 members of the Wrecking Crew. And please do your homework before you say that "session men covered for them on most of their hits". You'll be surprised how many hits the Beach Boys themselves played on in the 60's".

HuffPo is many things, right wing is not one of them.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »

How can an article like this stay unaltered in the face of evidence to the contrary? A bit mindblowing, don't you think?

I can’t imagine another major band from the 60s having a myth perpetuated like the overblown Wrecking Crew credits, in the face of opposing evidence. I can’t imagine a scenario like this happening with The Stones or The Beatles, for example. Only in BB land.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Just posted this on the Crew Facebook page: let's see how long it stays up.  Grin

"This article in the HuffPost - below - could have been less annoying had not Harold Bronson (who I met back in the 80s, and who is a very nice guy) relied on information taken from the wreckingcrew.tv site for "I Get Around". The AFM sheet he obviously saw and used is not for a BB session (as I, and Jon Stebbins) told Tommy Tedesco some two years ago when we first saw it. The glaring problems are:

1 - the session was dated nine days after the Beach Boys single was released.
2 - of the six titles listed, five of them have never been recorded by, or even associated with, the band.
3 - there's no flute on "IGA".
4 - the employer is listed as TM Music Inc. when it should be Capitol Records.
5 - the studio was RCA, which Brian hardly ever used
6 - the time of the track as listed is 1.58 whereas the Beach Boys release is 2.14.

In fact this AFM contract is for a Terry Melcher-produced session for the 1964 Catalinas album FUN FUN FUN... and the other two AFM contracts in that link similarly claiming to be for Beach Boys sessions are in fact for sessions for HOT ROD HIGH, a 1964 album by The Knights produced by the prolific Gary Usher, and The Hollyridge Strings BEACH BOYS SONGBOOK, an entirely instrumental album also released in 1964.

My point is this: the Crew were long denied their rightful recognition (and to some extent still are), but making basic and easily checkable errors like this isn't going to help the cause much (not to mention getting the geeks like me falling out of the trees).

And breathe..."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:44:05 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:52:49 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »

Deleted.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

How can an article like this stay unaltered in the face of evidence to the contrary? A bit mindblowing, don't you think?

I can’t imagine another major band from the 60s having a myth perpetuated like the overblown Wrecking Crew credits, in the face of opposing evidence. I can’t imagine a scenario like this happening with The Stones or The Beatles, for example. Only in BB land.

The perception was (and probably still is) that The Monkees used studio cats exclusively on their stuff..

By the way, I don't think the Mama's and Papa's ever said that they played on their records, did they?  Wasn't John Phillips the only one who could play an instrument?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:53:18 AM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »

The perception was (and probably still is) that The Monkees used studio cats exclusively on their stuff..

By the way, I don't think the Mama's and Papa's ever said that they played on their records, did they?  Wasn't John Phillips the only one who could play an instrument?

I think your two posts above this one better represent your thoughts: 

Deleted.
Deleted.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »

It’s one thing for there to be a general incorrect “perception” based on years of misinformation, like with The Monkees, but for a 2014 newly-written article to specifically state incorrect facts (and not retract them) in the face of contrary evidence, is just baffling.  I think it comes down to stuff like this being allowed to happen since the BBs are simply not respected/appreciated as they should be.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:16:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »

I think your two posts above this one better represent your thoughts: 

Deleted.
Deleted.

Actually, the first post I deleted said "Bgas is a jerk who doesn't know what he's talking about". The second one said, "Bgas is an asshole". Then I decided I might be banned for such accusations (even though they're true) and decided to delete them.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx