gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681460 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 12:24:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Bowie Fans: Links To Photos, Outtakes, etc. from Philly 1974 and more  (Read 1384 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »

This was posted and sent to me as it appeared through Philly's station 88.5 WXPN. It's a look back on the "Young Americans" sessions from 1974, and includes links to articles, photos, session outtakes and alternate mixes from that time. And if you follow the links, you'll find more of the same. A lot of this stuff was "new" to my ears, although it may have already been circulating in Bowie fan circles which I haven't been a part of. Anyway, it's fascinating stuff.

In 1974 after he recorded that live album at Philly's Tower Theater, he and Tony Visconti set up camp in Philly to work with and within the "Philly Sound", which was cranking out hit records by the boxload at that time, terrific records with great studio players and great sounds. Bowie and Visconti booked Sigma Sound studios in Philly to start the new album project, hoping to grab some of the magic that was coming out of the scene.

It's old news, I'm sure, but one of the most ironic parts of the story as told at the links is that Bowie and Visconti had booked the time planning to record with that incredible group of studio players who like the Funk Brothers, Stax, and the Wrecking Crew were a semi-organized group of musicians who were playing all of those sessions and making "that sound". One of the key records that has the sound on all of those Philly Sound classics was coincidentally "TSOP (The Sound Of Philly)" by MFSB. I think Bowie and Visconti had planned to work with the MFSB band and its offshoots, and due to some scheduling or planning blunders they only got one of the MFSB/Philly conga players who was available as the Bowie camp was in town! So Bowie had non-Philly players like Andy Newmark on drums, David Sanborn on sax, Carlos Alomar on guitar, and Willie Weeks on bass playing a lot of the rhythm tracks, but also had some of Philly's better singers like Luther Vandross doing backups.

Here's the link, take special note of a rough mixdown of Fame with a really bizarre flute lead part and other elements which got eliminated from the final version:

http://thekey.xpn.org/2014/01/08/celebrate-david-bowies-67th-birthday-by-exploring-the-philadelphia-roots-of-young-americans/

Do a little digging at this link, you'll find some really cool stuff if you're into Bowie from this era.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

I was extremely disappointed by that Young Americans album when it came out since it totally abandoned the fantasy and sci-fi Glam elements of his previous few albums. Repetitious Funk grooves seemed boring in comparison to what had come before. I still don't care that much for the album. I couldn't know at the time that change would become the motif for his career.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx