gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:01:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boxsets We Would Like To See Within The Next 5 Years  (Read 15302 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »

What are your ideas for any future boxset releases? Or even just double-disc albums full of rarities? After TSS and Made In California, can we expect anymore boxsets?

I'd like to see a Summer Days, Summer Nights/Today boxset - full of backing-track-only, vocals only, stereo/mono remasters, alternate takes, studio sessions, etc. A 1967-1976 boxset featuring a stereo Wild Honey, remastered Friends album.

What do you guys want to see, in terms of boxset/rarity releases, in the coming years?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »

I'd like to see everything on Boyd's laptop, as described in the latest ESQ, released as a 5,386 CD box set next week.

With a bonus disc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:43:39 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »

I've always would have loved to see another Hawthorne CA type compilation, except done a bit better. More coverage of post-1969 stuff, less filler of obvious stuff like stereo mixes of stuff from early albums, but more acapellas and backing tracks are always welcome. I don't expect another great box set for awhile but I'd at least love another comp of stuff. Seems like they release something new (even if its another hits comp) every year so hopefully this summer brings something else great.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »

Sunflower Sessions deluxe set - stereo/matrix mixes plus outtakes and vocal/instrmental tracks

Surf's Up ditto

Holland ditto

The Complete Brian Wilson Productions 1962-1997

"Rarities" box, collecting all of odd/one-off/non-album tracks.

Last Wilson Standing 1986-201? comprehensive BW solo box, 4CDs minimum.

Raiders of the Lost Archives - unreleased tracks 1962-2012

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »

Some high quality late 70s - early 80s material might be nice... perhaps some sort of extended edition of Adult/Child? I'd love to hear some great tracks like Stevie and Oh Lord properly.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »

I'd like to see everyone on Boyd's laptop, as described in the latest ESQ, released as a 5,386 CD box set next week.

With a bonus disc.

Ah, the Magic Laptop. Verily a box of aural delights.

OK, and some steaming cak.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:29:22 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »

A ton of Stephen Desper mixed songs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:54:37 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

I think it would be great to get a Lei'd in Hawaii box set, probably 2 or 3 discs.

Both of the live shows, the rehearsals, and the Wally Heider recordings all in great quality and in a comprehensive manner would be a great thing to own.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »

Sunflower Sessions deluxe set - stereo/matrix mixes plus outtakes and vocal/instrmental tracks

Surf's Up ditto

Holland ditto

The Complete Brian Wilson Productions 1962-1997

"Rarities" box, collecting all of odd/one-off/non-album tracks.

Last Wilson Standing 1986-201? comprehensive BW solo box, 4CDs minimum.

Raiders of the Lost Archives - unreleased tracks 1962-2012

Great suggestions (as usual), especially the SWD Matrix mentions.

I'd Love a deluxo of Love You including the demos and other flotsam de jour. 

Was yesterday wondering if anything will be cooked up for the PS 50th come 2016; not that there may be any new stuff, more given the age of the box and it's perpetual popularity, a "modern" remastering may be in order.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

The Beach Boys In Concert Super Deluxe box set
Original In Concert 2LP on 1 CD + 4 CD Live selected shows 1971-75 + Carnegie Hall live DVD + Original Rough Mix single-LP
All packed in a Tour Road Case with the Brother Records logo.

My lifelong dream...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »

Another Rarities comp, focusing on the band's 70's work. And no stereo remixes.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »

Was yesterday wondering if anything will be cooked up for the PS 50th come 2016; not that there may be any new stuff, more given the age of the box and it's perpetual popularity, a "modern" remastering may be in order.

Discrete tracks from the multis.
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »

Some high quality late 70s - early 80s material might be nice... perhaps some sort of extended edition of Adult/Child? I'd love to hear some great tracks like Stevie and Oh Lord properly.

Yep. Gimme Adult/Child with some other stuff from that era and I'm good.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »

There's a Blu-ray audio due out this month but seems to contain only the basic 12 tracks. Which I find flabbergasting... What a wasted opportunity (unless there're in some so-far unissued hyper quality…)

“We live in divisive times.”
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »

They should have a boxed set where they remix/remaster all the 60s and 70s albums and put bonus tracks on each disc. Or rerelease each one as a deluxe edition or something. It's been since 1990 that they really did any work on the albums. All they did in 2000 was rehash the same remasters right? I think the BB catalog could use some new remastering, since the newer albums they did remaster last year sound really good (Smiley Smile, Sunflower, Surfs Up, the stuff on MIC as well). They should nix the 2-fer sh*t too. Each album should be heard individually imo. The 2-fers were a huge value growing up first becoming a BB fan, but you can still get those used if you are just getting into the group.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:49:13 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »

Mmmmmm, discrete tracks...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »

There's a Blu-ray audio due out this month but seems to contain only the basic 12 tracks. Which I find flabbergasting... What a wasted opportunity (unless there're in some so-far unissued hyper quality…)

I suspect this edition won't offer anymore, in terms of sonics or artwork, than what was on the recent Capitol reissue - the only difference is this will be in 88.2khz given the disc format; or might just be a upsample of the redbook standard.

The current Blu-Ray audio tidal wave smacks of a quick to market gimmick to address HQ downloading/declining CD sales - I don't think the record companies are putting a lot of effort into remastering, repackaging etc with a view to providing "prestige" releases at this stage (just speculating); I see Pink Moon is slated for release soon.

I will, of course, probably buy both  LOL
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:34:22 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »

I'd be happy just to get a few Bootleg Series type releases , like the Dylan ones .
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »

Original In Concert 2LP on 1 CD + 4 CD Live selected shows 1971-75 + Carnegie Hall live DVD + Original Rough Mix single-LP

My lifelong dream...

This!

... and i want it NOW!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »

Two things come to mind....a Brian Wilson solo and demo boxed set, and a multi CD Beach Boys Live Highlights set from earliest live recordings to the present, with some visual dvd content from extant video recordings.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »

My lifelong dream...

This!

... and i want it NOW!

I'll take that one too. After hearing Rhonda and Wild Honey on this new MIC set, I want it even more.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »

All this stuff should have been released over their 50th...... Lips Sealed
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »

........And another Dennis Wilson 2-CD set wouldn't be bad either. Containing everything that's not on POB and Bambu.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »

All this stuff should have been released over their 50th...... Lips Sealed

A comprehensive 2012 concert DVD should have come out by now. A complete show or best-of comp from the Wembley, ROH, Japan, and/or U.S. show(s). A 2-CD set at minimum.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »

They should have a boxed set where they remix/remaster all the 60s and 70s albums and put bonus tracks on each disc. Or rerelease each one as a deluxe edition or something. It's been since 1990 that they really did any work on the albums. All they did in 2000 was rehash the same remasters right? I think the BB catalog could use some new remastering, since the newer albums they did remaster last year sound really good (Smiley Smile, Sunflower, Surfs Up, the stuff on MIC as well). They should nix the 2-fer sh*t too. Each album should be heard individually imo. The 2-fers were a huge value growing up first becoming a BB fan, but you can still get those used if you are just getting into the group.

The 2000 twofers were all newly remastered. The 60s stuff and the 70s and 80s stuff.

All the albums released last year were newly remastered too.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx